[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bendis' GOTG gets a lot of shit from /co/, but try to see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 22
Bendis' GOTG gets a lot of shit from /co/, but try to see it from this perspective which may or may not be mine as well.
>Have either been waiting to see the new MCU Movie or have already seen it and liked
>See that there's an ongoing Marvel NOW! title
>Read Volume #1
>It's decent
>Eventually find out about DnA's run
>Read that too
>Realise that DnA's run is superior, but Bendis' is still enjoyable as its own thing.
>>
>>77459260
I agree with you OP
Guardians of the Galaxy is fucking awesome. I cant even fathom the amount of shit it's getting on /co/

Its just like the movie, which got good reviews, and its one of the highest selling comics in the world right now and for good reason

>inb4 its not MUH GUARDIANS!
lol fuck off. Nobody cared or knew who they were before the movie. Consider actually having fun once in your life, thats what the run is, fun. Since when is NOT MUH a valid criticism? They're basically taking the gotg name and making it something better, there's nothing wrong with that.

Its basically the exact same for Legendary Star-Lord. Reinventing a Z-list character into a badass renegade which is also selling well and everyone is enjoying it aside from you /co/ntrarians. Why is that exactly?
>>
>>77459328
>Its basically the exact same for Legendary Star-Lord. Reinventing a Z-list character into a badass renegade which is also selling well and everyone is enjoying it aside from you /co/ntrarians. Why is that exactly?
Because both books are shit with horrible characterization and kitty wank
>>
>>77459383
Don't reply, it's bait.
>>
>>77459328
EVERY
FUCKING
TIME
>>
File: literally the best writer.gif (1 MB, 419x237) Image search: [Google]
literally the best writer.gif
1 MB, 419x237
>>77459383
>>77459421
Typical anti-Bendis memers. You guys are the worst of the worst. Always crying because Marvels best writer is reinvigorating comics with his top selling stories. I bet you guys are the same idiots crying about the X-men too. Well too bad, his X-men run is highly praised everywhere else like reddit, and will go down as one of the best. Issue 600 took old and boring characters and reinvigorated them into a new progressive age. Glad Extraordinary X-men will continue his plan.

And there is nothing you can do to stop the Bendis train, lol.
>>
>Have either been waiting to see the new MCU Movie or have already seen it and liked
>See that there's an ongoing Marvel NOW! title
>Read Volume #1
>It's decent
>completely forget about and never buy a different GotG, because I do not care enough for comics to become a habit.

This is the most likely experience.
>>
>>77459328
>They're basically taking the gotg name and making it something better
If DnA's run was superior then how was that the case?

Nobody knew about GotG before the movies because they never pushed them at all. There was no advertising, they were unheard of because Marvel didn't try to show them.

>inb4 its not MUH GUARDIANS!
The previous version of the guardians were better. So obviously I'd like to see the better ones.
>>
>Try to make a serious thread
>It turns into a Bendis thread
Just kek my shit up desu, senpai.
>>
>>77459260
>>77459328
OP made a good point that you can enjoy both runs the same.
/co/ needed 1, as in, one, FUCKING ONE post to derail this and group OP with anangry idiot bitching that people who don't like current run don't know how to have fun.
>>
In all fairness OP, Bendis' Guardians starts off really badly.

I reread Vol 1 it last night and found that the overall plot with Json & the Space Council was good and interesting (especially Freya, which set up Angela joining the team later pretty well) but all the Guardians did was fight mooks and make uninspired quips. it was like Bendis really couldn't think of anything else for them to do. With the body count they racked up it could have been called Murderer's of the Galaxy. The way they gleefully kill (and in Rocket's case, gloat) about it is really off putting.
>>
>>77459328
>Nobody cared or knew who they were before the movie
That's on marvel.

>Since when is NOT MUH a valid criticism
When the new book contains nothing of what made the old book actually good.
>>
>>77459260
>>77459328
/co/ will shit on anything Bendis makes nowadays, its futile, who the fuck cares anymore.

All this thread will do is make people angry, bring trolls and summon that one bendis cocksucker.
>>
>>77459328
>>77460235
These are troll copy pastas!!!!

>>77459383
>>77460429
>>77460586
>>77463737
You fuckers took the bait.
>>
>>77459260
Bendis run wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, at least until he starts shoehorning Kitty and the x-men into it.

Dogfucker's Starlord comic is infinitely much worse than Bendis gotg.
>>
>>77459383
>>77466717
For fuck sake what the fuck you people have against Kitty. She's awesome.
>>
>>77459260
It's not as bad as people say, but there's some shit there that's godawful. Bendis writes an awful Rocket.
>>
>>77466773
Kitty should've never been brought back after she got fired off in that giant bullet.
>>
>>77466093
I realized it a few minutes after I posted.
>>
>>77459260
Have you had whiskey before?

Just imagine for a moment, you are a kid looking through your parent's liquor cabinet and you just grab whatever bottle looks the coolest, take a swig and winch.

Why do they drink this kind of stuff?

Years later, you are sitting with your parents at a restaurant or bar - whatever place really. You order something from menu, knowing exactly what you want and it arrives shortly.

You take a swig and enjoy.

Bendis is the first time, DnA is everytime after. I get that you like the movie, so do I but the main thing that drives people nuts about Bendis GOTG is that it's not the quality of the movie, it's an imitation while also trying to be it's own thing.

It fails to live up to what it copies and it's originality is painfully bad, that's what's bad about it.
>>
>>77459260
>Guardians movie comes out, hate it
>Bendis writes this the same time the movie comes out
>Send racist anonymous messages to him on tumblr for 2 weeks
Bendis Guardians is as bad as /co/ tella you
>>
>>77473874
I quite enjoyed the Guardians movie, I don't know why you had such a bad time.
Props on the Bendis hate, anonymous is legion etcetera.
>>
>>77459260
Let's say we remove DnA from the equation.

Let's just say I saw and liked the movie.
I pick up the Bendis run.
It's just a bunch of hollow references and a poor imitation of the movie.
Realize that I liked the movie more.
Never pick up another comic again.
>>
>>77473961
Nonymouse had nothing to do with it. The Jew just spends all his time in tumblr and you can send anonymous messages over that
>>
>>77473874
>>77474047
top kek
>>
>>77466773
If your only exposure to Kitty has been anything outside of the comics she's fine. If you've bothered to read her as a main character as part of Aaron and Bendis' X-Men runs and by extension Humphries Star Lord she's self-righteous and always trying to play the moral compass while calling others out on their faults, despite never having her own hypocrisy brought to light. It's nonsensical storytelling and makes her come across as quite the bitch, who only gets painted in a holier than thou light because a large portion of Marvel's current writers loved her when they were reading comics during Claremont's run.

Ultimate Kitty has been a better character and actually had to deal with the fallout of leading a lost nation of mutants after all her mentors got killed off. 616 Kitty gets to play principal and be the O5's babysitter while she fucks whoever the writer likes to pair her up with while throwing shade towards multiple other characters atop her high horse. Bendis can have her.
>>
>>77474218
I don't directly hate Kitty Pryde, but why did we get rid of EVERY OTHER FEMALE GUARDIAN?
It was bad enough when Bendis cut Mantis out of the group, but now even Gamora is gone! What the hell?
>>
>>77474253
Gamora is still there and probably will rejoin at the end of this arc.
>>
>>77473874
Just fuck my shit up desu senpai
>>
File: 1445077941269.jpg (1 MB, 1192x1842) Image search: [Google]
1445077941269.jpg
1 MB, 1192x1842
>>77474218
>not posting superior version
>>
>>77474218
what hypocrisy? I admit the O5 thing was stupid (and had kind of a good excuse thanks to the Doop arc) but outside of that, she has never done anything hypocritical. Not during those two runs you mention anyways. Seems to me that this is less about her being the moral compass and more about her calling out the bullshit of your favorite character, therefore she's a bitch.
>>
>>77474218
You know, seeing this image makes me remember how good Valerio Schitti is. I mean, Bendis probably wrote on the script that he could copypaste images on this page to make his classical stupid joke, but Valerio said fuck that and made the whole page full of different expressions actually making the joke work. He's too good for Bendis.
>>
>>77477129
He's my favorite artist at Marvel and the fact that he's stuck on Guardians of the Galaxy burns me up inside.
>>
>>77459260
If you like it then more power to you, but I can't even divorce it from the rest and enjoy as its own thing. There's just not much there to enjoy IMO. Not that comic books in general are high art or anything but Bendis' recent runs have just been incredibly lowbrow, like I can only see people who have never touched a comic before enjoying them.
>>
>>77477440
I reread Bendis' Vol 2 last night.

In one word: uninspired.
>>
>>77460235
i didnt understand the bendis hate since i hadn't read him on anything since like 03.

started following iron man last month with number 1 with bendis. bendis speak immediately. it was a joke. not a bad book but deff not good. he writes MC's like kelly's deadpool. silly-but not funny to anyone but himself. but has none of the x men drama down pat.
>>
>>77459328
>>77460235
>>77476949
I remember in one of the many Bendis threads, someone said Bendis gave birth to the most memes and I assumed they were just saying he was a meme writer as an insult. Turns out they weren't lying. The copy pastas, the infinite high five, "your gay," someone actually writing the dialog for Uncanny 600 as close to what we got, the Bendis speak circlejerk, Meme-lord and Waifu Pryde.

Saying he's a meme writer sounds more fitting than saying he's a comic book writer.
>>
>>77479350
Memes are his legacy, not good comics.
>>
>>77473874
Not really. Only that arc was incredibly bad. Unless you are part of the "I hate Kitty because she gets to fuck my husbando" parade, his last issue wasn't bad at all.
>>
>>77480426
That arc was bad, but at least it had NUEd McGuiness art. And the annual had Frank Cho.
>>
>>77480426
Benis pls go
>>
Why do casuals like Bendis so much?
>>
>>77484772
well that was definitely the most autistic way to answer my question.
>>
>>77484470
he's right though
>>
File: kek.jpg (17 KB, 255x352) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
17 KB, 255x352
>>77459328
>pasta I made up months ago
>See perfect time to post it
>its the first reply
>its well known and spread
>there's always at least one retarded seriously reply
LAFFIN
>>
>>77486027
I got you're back senpai
>>
>>77484570
There's worst writters.
>>
>>77484570
Casuals don't like Bendis, it's just that he gets put on books that's about to get movie hype, so they buy his shit inadvertently. They then continue to buy it, and justify it. I'm waiting for him to start writing Captain America alongside Iron Man.
>>
>>77488421
So you are saying that movies do affect comic sales despite /co/ saying they don't for years.

You are literally acknowledging that Marvel is right about their plan of movie synergy.
>>
>>77488820
dude, /co/ has been full of shit for years.
>>
>>77488820
>>77488922
I know right?
Maybe we should go back to tumblr
>>
File: jagsguy.gif (2 MB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
jagsguy.gif
2 MB, 300x264
>>77459328
this HAS to be pasta
>>
>>77489370
Have you considered being a detective?
>>
I reread Bendis vol 2

Good:
> Tony & Rocket science bros.
> StarLord investigating continuity reset.
> Art is amazing
> Funny & touching team moments
> Mission to take back SWORD
> Angela & Gamora warrior sisters

Bad:
> A bounty hunter named 'the Accuser' instead of 'the Hunter' for some reason
> RoyalGuards look like Universal Church of Truth Cardinals
> Gamora's characteriation
> Angela's introduction arc (Hickman did it better in New Avengers Vol 3)
> Groot just dies and comes back again
> Drax tortures prisoner for no reason
>>
>>77479163
The fact that people recognize his books aren't bad is what makes the hate out of line. He's like the typical blockbuster author that makes movies to have a fun time. They won't win any awards or be much remembered later but they are fun and interesting for what they are (except both his Original Sin arcs, I don't know anyone who liked those).

It's like OP said, if you haven't read DnA, there's going to be little to complain about Bendis GotG.
>>
>>77477068
>but outside of that, she has never done anything hypocritical. Not during those two runs you mention anyways.

She told people not to use the black vortex cause it was evil and even prevented some of the other characters from using it, gave them shit for it too. But close towards the end of that shitty event she ends up using the Black vortex herself and ends up keeping her vortex powers too.
>>
>>77480426
I would be on that parade except that my Star-Lord husbando died in Thanos Imperative and they replaced him with a retard blond Andy Dwyer that's not even as interesting as the movie Star-Lord.

His shitty ass deserves to get rekt by Kitty's phasing giant majestic dick, I hope she fucks him up real good.
>>
>>77488421
Nah it's comic fans too, when Guardians of Knowhere was around issue 2 you had a lot of comic hype nerds and Bendis fags saying that they hated this comic but that they were going to buy all issues because they wanted to see the story done.

The last issue comes and goes, everyone is confused, tumblr rages about Carol's senseless death, Angela and everyone who is not a GotG member dies, but they still want to buy his post-SW GotG comic because they are too stupid to pirate it and they don't want to be out of the loop of what's happening with the GotG.
>>
>>77493720
>not even as interesting as the movie Star-Lord.
Before he meets Kitty all he does when not shooting stuff is try banging alien chicks. Basically the gag from the movie became his character for a year.
>>
Why do you guys like bad comics?
>>
File: yes sir.jpg (188 KB, 646x1227) Image search: [Google]
yes sir.jpg
188 KB, 646x1227
>>
>>
>>
>>77494617
I love to bitch about bad comics. I don't want to pay for them, though.
>>77496350
Kek.
>>77496384
Moral of page is that Tony is incompetent fuckwit who can't see that he pressed Play instead of Record?
>>
>>
>>77496426
>Tony is incompetent fuckwit
I thought of it more as: Tony being in the comic was a joke...on the readers.
>>
>>77496442
Ah.
>>77496433
Gamora is drawn really bad in that bottom panel.
>>
>>
>>77496476
>>
>>77496482
>>77496476
>>77496350
You can tell the artist didn't care about this job
>>
>>77496466
>Gamora is drawn really bad in that bottom panel.
Yeah, later artists do her much better.
>>
>>77496492
Don't be a hater. The style suits the story really well.
>>
I don't want the spacesuit that lets you smell the other spacemen.
>>
>>77496647
Out of context, it looks to me like Gamora is apeshit because Quill banged Angela.
>>
>>77486027
Why not though? It's true what you wrote, no one gave two shits about space capes before.

They were boring and unrelateable with only a few short runs being worthwhile.

Reading summaries of the origins for some characters I can see why it was changed.

There any reason why the mcu gaurdians and thier conversion into the books is a bad thing? Can't they still have the same storylines that were actually worrth reading?
>>
>>77494553
Except in the movie it was actually funny and in the comic it was just annoying.
>>
>>77494553
So him meeting Kitty was a good thing then.
>>
>>77497181
Probably because it was only done like once in the movie and it wasn't dwelt on.
>>
>>77496763
>no one gave two shits about space capes before.
>no one
>no one

I'm one. Pretty sure there were other ones who liked them here as well. So that's a few more ones than no ones.

>Reading summaries of the origins for some characters I can see why it was changed

Reading a summary means little. You have much to learn.
>>
>>77496763
>Can't they still have the same storylines that were actually worrth reading?
They still do. Annihilation onwards is an will forever be canon. The origins are what is being changed. That triggers some autists for some reason. Not even all were changed, Drax and Gamora's are intact.
>>
>>77499606
It doesn't trigger me, I just find most of Bendis and Humphrie's work a bland, pale imitation of much better comics. If you like them, good for you, but if you've read the others and tried to form any kind of critical opinion on them I think you too would agree that Bendis and Humphries are very uninspired.
>>
>>77494553
Him banging chicks is barely mentioned in Bendis run. Hell, the first time we ever see him in bed with a girl is with Kitty.
>>
>>77498504
This. Like I said: gad became character.
>>
>>77498477
Don't know yet. Haven't reviewed anything past Trial of Jean Grey
>>
>>77462070
>With the body count they racked up it could have been called Murderer's of the Galaxy
I seem to recall a lot of murder in the DnA run too. Am I remembering wrong?
>>
>>77500690
My overall impression of Bendis Vol 1 & 2 is: They dug up the corpse of a much better book and are now parading it across the comic stands every month.
>>
>>77502397
>Bendis Vol 2
>Only one issue is out
And they say it's not just Bendis hate
>>
>>77502305
Three (or four) times it shows him at a bar trying to pick up women. It's like Bendis had no idea what to do with the character between shooting stuff.
>>
>>77502378
All the Guardians do in Bendis Vol 1 is kill and make quips about it. DnA Vol 1 had them doing a lot more.
>>
>>77502426
The second trade, nitwit.

And if I hated Bendis I wouldn't be going through cherry picking the parts I like.
>>77496350
>>77496384
>>77496420
>>77496433
>>77496476
>>77496482
>>
>>77502441
Only two times is Quill alone trying to pick girls. In issue 1 and issue 11. In issue 4 he wasn't trying to pick girls, he was having fun with his friends. Kitty doesn't count because she's his fiancée, it's something serious.
>>
File: quill picking up.jpg (539 KB, 1984x1038) Image search: [Google]
quill picking up.jpg
539 KB, 1984x1038
>>77502598
Oh, I'd say he's trying to pick up here. Friends around doesn't really change it.
>>
>>77502704
It changes the context. It shows that Quill doesn't only pick girls. Of course, being with friends doesn't mean he can't take an opportunity if it presents itself. But the reason he was there wasn't to pick girls, so picking girls is not all he does.
>>
After reading Trial of Jean Grey I have to say it's slowly getting better.

When did the Shi'ar or Gladiator kill Jean's family and why don't people seem more upset about it?
>>
>>77502837
Do you even Adjectiveless X-Men? They met dude who planned attack on Grey family.
>>
>>77502763
It's lazy writing and reduces Quill to a one dimensional caricature. The rest of the Guardians get the same treatment, though.
>>
>>77502906
Okay, but when was this?
>>
>>77502909
It's a team book. You don't simply just focus on one character and what he does in his free time. DnA wasn't different in that aspect, only thing we ever see Quill do was being in Knowhere dealing with shit. The times we see him relaxing he is, guess what, partying with his friends.
>>
>>77502936
X-Men #18-22.
>>
>>77502985
>You don't simply just focus on one character and what he does in his free time
I didn't say I based my whole analysis of the book on that. And in case you missed it I said the rest of the team didn't fare better.
>>
>>77503037
I vaguely remember that storyline. Thanks for the tip.
>>
File: dr krieger.jpg (51 KB, 511x466) Image search: [Google]
dr krieger.jpg
51 KB, 511x466
>>
File: murder girls.jpg (217 KB, 875x822) Image search: [Google]
murder girls.jpg
217 KB, 875x822
>>
>>77503958
I fucking hate the shitty "space language" in modern cosmic.

It completely lacks the stupid charm of what space language should be.
>>
File: cape comics.jpg (204 KB, 939x619) Image search: [Google]
cape comics.jpg
204 KB, 939x619
>>
>>77504074
This run starts off really poorly because Bendis couldn't into scifi.
>>
File: canada.jpg (183 KB, 1110x587) Image search: [Google]
canada.jpg
183 KB, 1110x587
>>
>>77459260
Well, that's an entirely sensible viewpoint.
>>
>>77459260
Well, that's kind of the problem. GotG caters to movie fans, which upsets most of the older, comicbook fans.

When you're a new reader fresh out of the threatre, you're probably going to notice sooner or later that Bendis is a bad writer, but in general it's just simple and fun space adventures. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you're an older fan, all of that gets pushed to the side because you keep noticing the character assassination and lore rape at every corner and Bendis blatantly playing favorites when it comes to certain characters and stopping at nothing to shit on others, like he does in all his recent titles.

Imagine a LotR fanfiction based on Legolas having a gay love affair with Saruman while Chewbacca has a voyeuristic wank hiding in their closet. There's nothing outright wrong with that if that's the kind of thing you like, but if you told a LotR fan it was the official canon sequel to LotR none of them would be happy about it.
>>
>>77504333
sick burns
>>
File: rocket.jpg (150 KB, 1227x560) Image search: [Google]
rocket.jpg
150 KB, 1227x560
>>
>>77502495
I've only read Annihilation, there was a lot of killing and quipping.

There was also a lot of despairing.
>>
>>
>>77504445
>stopping at nothing to shit on others
when did he do this on GotG? I don't think Dick Rider counts because he treated him with respect. He was shit at research and retconned a lot but he never undermined his sacrifice or anything he did until that point. No one shittalked about him either.

As for Bendis, I don't think he's a bad writer as much as he had the wrong ideas about what to do and not do in cosmic. Notice how in ANAD he has gotten rid of most of the stuff people complained about (old references, Earth, tattoine Knowhere, among other things).
>>
File: groot.jpg (173 KB, 749x722) Image search: [Google]
groot.jpg
173 KB, 749x722
>>
>>77504653
>wrong ideas about what to do and not do in cosmic
Yeah, I found it took him just under a year to get his shit together.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.