[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help on picking spaghetti sauce I suppose normal ragu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
I need help on picking spaghetti sauce

I suppose normal ragu and other stuff is definitely eatable but I would like something to really be great.
Tried buying pic related and it didn't taste very good at all
Should I just go back to the cheap stuff? Or maybe make it myself?
>>
>>7637190
Make it yourself! It tastes a lot better.

First, you dice two onions, and put them in a pan with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat until they're kinda see-through. Keep them moving so they don't burn!

Add in half a head of garlic at least, minced. If you chop off the bottom of the garlic head, I find that pulling off the skin is easier. If you're still having a hard time, chop the clove in half and try again. Put your peeled garlic in a pile and rock your knife over them, from tip to the back of the blade. If you do this back and forth, it's really easy to end up with tiny pieces. This takes a while, so I like to have the garlic ready when I start cooking.

Put the garlic in the translucent onions-- be very careful not to burn it! Burned garlic tastes like sadness.

When the garlic is golden, add 3 to 4 diced big tomatoes, or about 6 roma tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste, and a glug of red wine. When that's thickened up a little, put in a large handful of fresh basil leaves, some oregano, thyme, and pepper. Don't add salt now.

When the sauce is starting to thicken up, you can add some salt. If you add it too early, an amount you thought was a good idea will condense into the semen of Satan.

Cover the sauce, and keep it simmering. Stir occasionally. Consume at desired thickness.

This freezes well. You can add diced green bell pepper or sausage after the onions if you feel like it.
>>
File: a.jpg (27 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
27 KB, 450x450
>>7637190
Try other brands.
>>
>>7637225
based

thanks mate
>>
>>7637242
You're welcome!

I'm really serious about not adding the salt too early, though. If you undersalt it, you can always fix that.
>>
>>7637190
I honestly usually just by prego
>>
>>7637225
Get off /ck/, mum.
>>
File: 81G7Vn5m7zL._SY355_.jpg (24 KB, 236x355) Image search: [Google]
81G7Vn5m7zL._SY355_.jpg
24 KB, 236x355
Anybody like this shit? Doesn't come from a jar but I do love it
>>
>>7637955
Why? Do you have anything to add to this?
>>
>>7637955
he was being endearing to you (or whoever posted that)
see the mum, like mother
first time I read it I thought it was man, so I can see why you'd think that
>>
>>7637225
As a non-American actual Italian. I don't understand why you would add red-wine to this or why this is built upon the onion? Or thyme and pepper in this. Or you are just adding big tomatos like this?

It doesn't seem right
>>
>>7638948
Wine adds an underlying complexity to the flavor, much like adding anchovies to the base does. Softening the onion + garlic not only infuses the oil with your flavors, but allows them to soften without going the way of being boiled in liquid. I can't answer the thyme question-- maybe they just like the flavor?

Why don't you provide a traditional recipe?
>>
>>7638954
Thank you!
I was going to write the exact same things.

To clear up some other questions, I personally like the flavor of thyme, especially when I add meat to the sauce.
I use wine because I prefer its flavor over anchovies. I've experimented with not adding it, but the sauce tastes kind of flat if I don't.
Adding that much basil is also an entirely personal preference.
Dicing the tomatoes is sufficient because they break down into mush and are easily crushed while stirring.

Forgot to mention: If your sauce starts to dry out, you can add stock or wine. I pick which one based entirely on what else I'm eating with the sauce.

>>7638947
Haha, thanks.

>>7637955
Sorry, anon.
>>
>>7638954
Well its not hard is it, just tomato is usually prepped rather than being put straight in, for seeds and skin.

Garlic, olive oil, salt and basil. I guess pepper if you are so inclined.

Oregano maybe as an addition.

Onion is not really there unless there is some sort of meat involved I guess, and wine usually the same. Wine is not really correct for that sort of tomato sauce.
>>
try to avoid sauce with added sugar
>>
>>7638982
Thank you!

What meat would you normally add, if you were going to use onions?

Which tomato-heavy sauce would you consider adding wine to?

Do you like adding oregano, or think that it just unecissarily adds to a simple but good flavor profile?
>>
>>7637261
You're just using more salt for the sake of it. Just use less than you need and add it earlier if that makes it stronger.
>>
>>7637235
Best jar sauce right there. Everybody talks shit about jar sauce but the majority of /ck/ can't make a marinara as good as Rao's
>>
>>7639040
If you add salt too early, it's easy to misjudge and add too much salt. The volume decreases, but the salt content doesn't. The salt doesn't become "stronger", it just becomes too much for the new volume.

So, adding salt later lets you use the right amount.
>>
>>7639005
I'm quite lazy so I use a peeled tin and will use dried oregano and basil because I like it. I would not really expect that in a restaurant where I am now but I guess it might happen. Less controversial than thyme...

I don't really add wine to tomato sauces, I guess the longer and longer you cook, something that takes all day could benefit from some wine, of course some recipe like bolognese will use some white wine. I think in the south they do use some red wine and will slow cook tomato sauce with meat (whatever big pieces), which is probably why that sort of thing is popular in america. I'm not really knowledgeable on that.

I mean if you were doing onions then you could do soffritto and that is a good base, but that is a good base for any sauce really not just for pasta. There isn't really a specific meat in that case just whatever is good. Most pasta dishes though are not really onion or meat based or even heavy at all. Its usually light with a focus on the pasta, things like lardons or sausage are popular for that reason...

I'm sure your sauce is nice though I just find it odd that these ingredients are chosen. Though there are thousands of pasta sauces and variations so I'm sure some town has one like that somewhere.
>>
>>7639087
Thank you very much for writing all of that out. I'll drag out the slow cooker the next time I add wine, and will definitely try a soffritto base. If the only way to cure having onions is to add more vegetables, that sounds good to me.
>>
>>7639087
I add wine to a lot of sauces but I think it's just an excuse to have wine around
>>
File: DON PEPINO.jpg (35 KB, 209x273) Image search: [Google]
DON PEPINO.jpg
35 KB, 209x273
GET SOME MOTHERFUCKING DON PEPINO

BEST GODDAMN SAUCE THE EARTH HAS EVER SEEN

SERIOUSLY, LOOK IT UP ON AMAZON, THE REVIEWS ARE AMAZING. THIS SAUCE IS SEX
>>
>>7637190

I like pic related, though I will say the roasted garlic version is too garlicky for me.
>>
>>7637235
>>7637190

Rao's is probably the best "expensive" sauce you can get. If you can get to a Target, Giada DeLaurentiis also makes a good one in the inexpensive range

Mario's is good but overpriced
>>
I always thought pic related was pretty decent for store-bought.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (23 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
23 KB, 180x180
>>7637190

i just buy the cheap store-brand budget stuff and season it myself.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.