[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: folgers.jpg (22 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
folgers.jpg
22 KB, 350x350
Weekly coffee thread

Picked up a new french press; i've been making delicious coffee. Usually grab beans from a local cafe.

However, I have a question for you: what does folgers coffee taste like? I've never had it before, and people are always calling it "shit coffee". I still see it on every grocery shelf though, so there has to be some reason people buy it. Is it any good?

+ general coffee bread
>>
It's cheap coffee for people who don't care about taste. I have a manual burr grinder that I grind my beans with, and usually go for a French press. I just got a new one too.

Does anyone actually use a vacuum pot? Like, regularly? They seem like a pain.
>>
>>7072934
>Does anyone actually use a vacuum pot?

I've never seen one irl. I imagine it's mostly a hipster coffee house thing.
>>
>>7072923
Folgers is a hold over brand from when everyone just wanted lots of cheap coffee. At one point, the price war was so bad between brands that they were stretching the coffee grounds with wood pulp and other fillers.

They established themselves as one of the several popular pre-ground coffee providers decades ago and lots of people see their parents drinking it, and just decide to buy that because it's what they're use to seeing.

It tastes awful, and many, at least here in the US, mask the flavor with coffee creamer and sugar. Many drink it just for the caffeine and not the flavor.
>>
>>7072945
Only really bad coffee needs creamer or sugar. When I grind and brew my own and it tastes off, I try again because I know that my beans and extraction method work. I never used to drink black coffee until I made it myself. Honestly, I don't drink it that way unless I do make it myself.
>>
>>7072923

I used to drink folgers but I went with yuban now

Idk. I wake up early as a substitute teacher and don't have time to grind and brew coffee.
>>
when you guys brew french press, how many tbsp of coffee do you use per cup?

I have a 4 cup (32oz) press, and usually do 2-3 tbsp for 2 cups (16oz) of coffee.
>>
Folgers is alright since you can get a can like that for under ten dollars and it would last me well over a month.
>>
File: 1370281854269.jpg (55 KB, 436x400) Image search: [Google]
1370281854269.jpg
55 KB, 436x400
I drink a cup of folgers instant every morning so I can take a fat dump
>>
>>7072923
How do I make delicious coffee?
>>
I had the pleasure of aeropressing some folgers last year and my impression was: it tastes like coffee that's been chemically fucked with.

There was no actual coffee taste to it anymore. Just the flavor of a preservative that's perhaps meant to smell like someone's idea of coffee, and a shitty aftertaste to go with it.
>>
I've been wanting to buy some just to compare with my better coffee. I imagine that it's coffee that offices and your boring Dad would buy, and that your mom would douse in milk and sugar. If I wanted to buy really cheap coffee that still tasted nice I'd get Bustelo.

I got a french press some weeks back and it's great. I prefer it significantly over the drip machine. It's a nice in-between when I don't want strong moka pot coffee.
>>
>>7072923
I don't know how it is for you guys over in the US, but I wouldn't trust any brand of coffee that sells it's grains in a plastic container.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.