[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ I'm making Kimchi for the first time and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11
File: Kimchi.jpg (136 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
Kimchi.jpg
136 KB, 1600x1066
Hey /ck/ I'm making Kimchi for the first time and I'm wondering how long I should let it ferment before transfering it to the fridge.
Most recipes I read can't agree,they say somewhere between 3 days up to a month,and I don't want something that is to sour or rancid.
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7631801
>he shitposts about cabbage
>>
>>7631786

It's a matter of personal preference, OP. The longer it sits the more acidic it will get. Just taste it every once in a while and stick it in the fridge when you think it's fermented long enough.
>>
>>7631786

You can just let it ferment, albeit really slowly, in the fridge from the start.

Me and my mom like fresh Kimchi, so we always used keep it in the fridge. However, my dad and brother likes to eat it sour, so when they want to eat some, we take some out of the fridge and let it sit outside for a day or two at room temperature before eating.

Long story short, just put it in the fridge all the time and put some out only when you want to eat them (if you like the sour ferment taste).

You can leave Kimchi at room temperature for a while (even up to a few months) but it will start to become rancid after that. That's why we always put it in a cold (fridge) or a cool place (traditionally, we bury it really deep into the ground where it is cool before refrigerators were a thing).
>>
File: IMG_1492.jpg (3 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1492.jpg
3 MB, 4320x3240
Its a staple in our house. Let it sit for 4-5 days in the pantry then put it in the fridge for a week. Always da bomb brah... pic related
>>
File: 1418858156499.jpg (1 MB, 2927x5727) Image search: [Google]
1418858156499.jpg
1 MB, 2927x5727
>>7631957

>Whole uncrushed garlic

>Onions??

>So little chili powder that it can pass as white Kimchi

>Lack of large green Napa cabbage leaves

Bruh if you tell me you're Korean I'm going to be disappointed.
>>
File: Kimchi Inspection Day.jpg (162 KB, 1599x899) Image search: [Google]
Kimchi Inspection Day.jpg
162 KB, 1599x899
Do I pass Kimchi Inspection Day?
>>
>>7632037

The liquid looks a bit thick.You should ease up on the rice powder (or whichever thickening agent you're using)
>>
>>7631966
>bruh

please tell me youre not a wannabe nigger asian? whats next pics of your flat brim collection and posting blunts you rolled?
>>
>>7632084
I use white Miso instead of the fermented Fish sauce,it thickens it up and provides a starter for the fermentation
>>
File: yeah.jpg (805 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
805 KB, 1200x1000
>>7632092

Never heard that before. I just use fermented fish sauce like you said.

>>7632088

Just because I used one specific word (which I never use regularly), you get triggered?
>>
>>7632105
Works pretty well and makes the entire Batch Vegan,so my gf eats it as well
>>
>>7632118

Japanese miso or Korean soybean paste? I guess miso is light enough to not overpower the Kimchi.

Although I don't know why you need miso to start fermentation; Kimchi does it by itself if you leave it at room temperature for a day.
>>
>>7632128

Sleep tight anon
>>
Anyone have a good kimchi recipe? I never trust google on recipes. I'd love to make some next time I go to the farmer's market.
>>
Hardcore kim chi-ists will probably disagree with Momofuku's methods, but I like this recipe:

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/paechu-kimchi-2/

Hardly any fermentation though, which doesn't bother me.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Check out this shit bitches
>>
>>7632921
i think i put more red pepper on my slices of pizza
>>
File: keemochee.jpg (159 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
keemochee.jpg
159 KB, 720x960
I got really into making kimchi after I tried it the first time. It's super fucking tasty when you make it homemade, way better than the stuff from the store.

Pic related, the 1st batch I ever made
>>
File: keemochee2.jpg (143 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
keemochee2.jpg
143 KB, 720x960
>>7633048

And this one's the cucumber kimchi. I scaled back on the dried red pepper flake for it by about half a cup, came out much more mild and refreshing.

As far as OP's question, I always make mine, stick it in a glass jar in my kitchen, and let it sit until I can see the fermentation bubbles in the liquid. Then I give it a press with a wooden spoon, and if it bubbles and the juice tastes sour, I throw it in the fridge. Or just leave it on the counter, because it's hella tasty and I snack on it.
>>
>>7632929
Having no taste is nothing to brag about anon
>>
>>7631786
*too

I let it sit out for three days.
>>
>tfw found kimchi sausages in my local supermarket

so good. expensive though.
>>
>>7633048
>>7633055
only real kimchi in this thread so far
>>
>>7633638
Just make them yourself
>>
>>7631957
Whole garlic?
>>
>>7634863
and onion..tastes good and adds flavor. I see that a lot on lunch trucks in hawaii. has more flavor than plain kc
>>
Delicious stuff. If this is your first time OP then I recommend sampling it every day to see how you like it. As long as you make sure to not leave the lid off too long and always use a sanitary utensil to handle the kimchi, you wont ruin the fermentation.

Personally I don't let it ferment outside of the fridge more than a few hours. I prefer fresh kimchi way more than he full blown fermented stuff.
>>
File: 1458593474101.jpg (94 KB, 1845x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458593474101.jpg
94 KB, 1845x1080
>>7636474
>>
>>7631786
OP, you need to make a big batch of kimchi and keep most of it in the fridge. Make a smaller container to keep at room temperature. This one will ferment more, while refrigeration will halt the rest fermenting too much.

This way you can make you kimchi last, enjoy some more ripe kimchi, and you have the option to choose more ripe or more fresh kimchi depending on how you want to use it.
>>
>>7631786
What I do is leave it in a dark, cool place in the house for one and a half days and "burp out" the gas every half day/twelve hours. Afterwards, you can put it in the refrigerator without needing to burp it anymore and it can last for months.

Just make sure it's covered really well during the initial "outside of the refrigerator" process and squeeze out as much oxygen as you could. I'd say keep wax paper on top to limit oxygen contact and prevent mold growth.

Also it's a good step to keep the containers in a tub just in case the gas and extra fluid leak out during the outside the refrigerator fermenting process.

It's relatively simple and don't sweat it. Usually if you keep kimchi for hella months and it's a bit too sour, people usually use it in a dish like a stew/soup and the flavor is balanced again rather than just eating a super sour side vegetable dish.

Hope that helps
>>
File: 20160228_220852.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160228_220852.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I always have a tub made up takes a bit to prep so much but lasts me a while.
>>
>>7637228
Do you add fish/shrimp/squid?

Also where to get gochugaru online?
>>
>>7637233
I add shrimp to mine mostly have tried squid a couple of times. never put fish in though I really like the flavor shrimp adds to it so would highly recommend. Unfortunately wouldn't know where to get gochugaru online depending on country I assume amazon would stock it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.