[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I can cook better food than you can get at any restaurant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: melancholia.gif (998 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
melancholia.gif
998 KB, 500x213
>I can cook better food than you can get at any restaurant
When you say this, what you mean is you've never been to a good restaurant.

How can you say your food is good when you've never had good food, /ck/?

Exposure to good food is crucial if you want to improve yourself.
>>
>I can cook better food than you can get at [m]any restaurant[s]
FTFY
>>
>>7624156
A lot of home cooks fall in this category. This is why some restaurants are special.
>>
>>7624159
Agreed.
I don't eat out much because I'm both quite a good cook and exceedingly frugal, but when I do, I don't generally order things I can cook or that aren't labour intensive. Like... I can make pho, but fuck it if I'm gonna spend all the time to do it what with all the roasting the bones and the onions and the ginger and making the stock and cooking the brisket and all that shit. Nuh-uh, nigga. I buys that shit both because it's too involved for me to do it myself and because mine, while pretty good (and actually better than a few pho joints around me), isn't that much better or even as good as many of the pho places.

But if it's something less involved, like loklak or chao tom, fuck paying for it.
>>
>>7624193
agree 100%.

most restaurants suck for the most part.. even """good ones"""
>>
>>7624222
On that point, I completely disagree. Most restaurants are pretty good. I can count on my fingers how many bad restaurants I've been to.

They're few and far between.
>>
>>7624233
i'm not saying most are bad.. just meh..
>>
>>7624129
>I can cook better pizza then you can order from any delivery service
when you say this, it means your tastebuds work and you're not completely retarded.
>>
>>7624193
Prezactly
>>
>>7624687
Flyover detected
>>
>>7624717
Anyone who uses the word "flyover" is confessing he has zero cultural knowledge.

I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>7624725
Anyone who gets this mad about being called what he is has no business even talking about food. Enjoy your "regular normal food" and getting angry over the existence of extra virgin olive oil, flyover.
>>
>>7624744
Blah, blah, blah, let me use the word mad because that's what teenagers do.
>>
Most restaurants kinda suck desu. Most of the times that I've eaten out, I was dissatisfied to some degree or another. There are only a hand full of times where I had a meal that was really good. I have eaten at maybe 350 restaurants in my life, several of them more than once.

You can usually get an okay or a 'good' meal, but it's definitely hard to find great food that makes me go SHIT THAT WAS GOOD. My cooking is great, though many restaurants are better at their specialty. Today I went to get sushi. While I can make delicious sushi, it's incredibly time intensive, and hard to find high quality fish in this area. So I paid like 7 bucks for an eel roll. It was just okay, rice could have been better and the sauce more flavorful, but it satisfied my craving for sushi. I'd give it a 7/10, good but lots of room for improvement.

My cooking tastes better than 95% of the dishes I've had. I am a chef though, so I think both my ability to cook and my standards are a bit higher than most.

I do agree with OP that a lot of home cooks overestimate their ability to produce a meal that tastes good. If you haven't been to some of the best restaurants in the world, you probably haven't experienced true 10/10 food, and are setting the bar for 'great food' at a seven.
>>
>>7624754
Neener neener neener, I've never ventured 20 miles away from the same hospital I was born 20 years ago so I've erroneously concluded that my abysmal attempts at '''pizza''' could actually be considered good despite my only frame of reference being Papa Johns and Domino's
>>
Cooking is only part of the equation. You omitted prep, dishes, cleaning after the meal, etc
>>
>>7624129
I can cook better then the food I ate at Noma.
I do more interesting things then the food I ate at the fat duck.
Only experience I haven't topped is El Bulli.

Also most restaurants do way to posh things while you can get away with using fewer ingredients with better flavour combinations.

I actually prefer to eat at 2 star michelin restaurants over 3 michelin stars. Less bullshit and more flavour (local products that are in season).
>>
>>7624222
>>7624233
This is really regional and depends where you live. There are some areas where nearly everything except very nice places are frankly pretty bad.
>>
File: received_1171022319599070.jpg (114 KB, 1184x888) Image search: [Google]
received_1171022319599070.jpg
114 KB, 1184x888
I concur. Pic related goat food from an italian upscale place
>>
>>7624129
>I am autistic and take everything too seriously

no one who says that actually means they cook better than 100% of all restaurants everywhere

they instead mean they cook better than most restaurants, or likely, any restaurant they have been to
>>
>>7624768
Why do people get legitimately angry when someone doesn't live in their communist coastal state
>>
File: 1445449626209.jpg (26 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
1445449626209.jpg
26 KB, 570x238
>>7625208
>never go to an upscale italian restaurant
wow, good to know
>>
>>7625208
What am I seeing here?
Salmon in bearnaise sauce and potato wedges in something and pesto?
>>
>>7625278
Green risotto, shrooms, salmon and beurre blanc. Fly-over style.
>>
>>7625333
You know: because nothing says 'Italian' like a fish that's not available in Italy and a French sauce, amirite?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.