[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why cooking is so hard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: epic.jpg (61 KB, 634x442) Image search: [Google]
epic.jpg
61 KB, 634x442
Why cooking is so hard?
>>
>>7060241
Some people just can't do it, and I don't know why. I watched my friend try and make pasta. He put it in the water, added salt, and just stood there stirring it for 20 minutes. I asked him "Is the pasta done?" about 10 minutes and he's like "nah nah m8 trust me I got dis"

So he serves it up and the pasta is soggy shit, and he managed to burn the sauce despite literally only have 2 things to do. I cannot still understand how that happened. Like he stood there the whole time watching the sauce burn while stirring the pasta. What the FUCK
>>
>>7060245
What a good. Sauce always goes in the microwave.
>>
It's not, it's just that it's passed down by generations. If nobody in your family can cook and you didn't see them cook or even participate in the act as a child then most likely you can't cook either it's simple as that, just because you don't know how.
>>
Well it's a skill, and like anything else, if you never learned you're going to have a hard time.

You barely have to cook nowadays though, if you really can't or don't want to.
>>
File: 20151102_201759.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151102_201759.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Its.not
>>
>>7060293
how much of that is even edible
>>
>>7060293

Is this your argument? I really hope your post isn't serious and that you're not actually proud of that "creation"
>>
I think some people just can't fathom the idea of applying heat to something without burning it.
>>
>>7060241

Cooking= simple addition, and reading comprehension.

Couldn't be any simpler.
>>
>>7060293
is anything on there even cooked?
>>
>>7060241
my flatmate likes pizza
he buys a pizza from the shop, brings it home
reads the label to check how long it needs cooking for
does this every single time
has probably read the cooking instructions for store brought pizza a thousand times
sets his phone to the exact time, takes it out when the timer ends
he has no concept of whether or not the pizza is actually ready

I don't understand it, but some people can't make judgement calls themselves on whether something is cooked properly or not
>>
>>7060329
You can't really stick a thermometer into a pizza.
>>
File: 19477366339.gif (75 KB, 468x650) Image search: [Google]
19477366339.gif
75 KB, 468x650
>>7060329

Why do you associate with retards?

I'm going to assume you're also mentally deficient.
>>
>>7060241
It's an evolutionary mechanism to weed out the retards, who are supposed to starve to death being unable to prepare food. Unfortunately, the availability of fast food and processed shit has slowed the process and now you have to wait for them to die of health problems.
>>
>>7060293
I fucking hate over-presented pretentious shit like this. Were the few side blobs of sauce really fucking necessary?
>>
>>7060343

>is art necessary

Yes.
>>
>>7060344
Food is not and never will be art
>>
>>7060347
philistine
>>
File: mad_men7.jpg (251 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
mad_men7.jpg
251 KB, 750x500
>>7060347

cooking is a craft at best

and there you have it

Q.E.D.
>>
>>7060347

It's a science as well, an exact formula needs to be followed in order for something to be delicious.
>>
While food may be beautiful, functionality and flavor are the absolute musts. Any presentation that detracts from the functionality is in my view a negative
>>
>>7060353
That's not entirely true.
>>
>>7060357

It is factually speaking. A certain balance needs to be achieved in order for something to be delicious. Even if it's a natural balance, a grape is delicious because of chemistry, nothing more nothing less.
>>
>>7060360
7 billion people with subtly different definitions on what they consider delicious

there isn't a formula
>>
>>7060360
as a chemist i ask you to please not compare chemistry and cooking. One of the worst thing I've seen is chefs pretending to be scientists because they use a rotavap for "molecular" cuisine
>>
>>7060331
you post on 4chan of all places, you associate with retards yourself mate
>>
>>7060362

Tongues work the same, people across the planet know when something is overly salty or too sweet.

>>7060363

>as a chemist

You waste your scientific inclinations and superior intellectual prowess to shitpost on a food/cooking board on an anime site huh? Cute.

:^)
>>
>>7060367

I can turn my computer off, that faggot has to live with a retard.

Significant difference lad.
>>
>>7060372
have you never met someone who puts too much salt or sugar in their food?
>>
>>7060377

No. They put what their mouth perceived as the perfect chemical balance for the prepared dish.

Artificial flavors exist for a reason, chemistry.
>>
>>7060372
gotta pass the time while shit cooks in the lab
>>
Cooking my steak on a bunsen, applying the ketchup using a pipette
>>
>>7060381

Corporate development Chefs that engineer potato crisp flavors using chemicals earn more in one year than you will in a decade. How does that make you feel?
>>
>>7060385
They're still basically chemical engineers, I moved away from that because I wanted to do real chemistry and not plumbing. Sure I'll probably wont earn much (LOL like there's no money in big pharma) but at least I'm doing something I love
>>
>>7060344

Video games are more art than food.
>>
>>7060347
>Building is not art, you're just putting something together
>Painting is not art, you're just putting paint on something
>Music is not art, you're just making noises with something
>Cooking is not art, you're just making something hot
>>
>>7060583
Just because something is beautiful, doesn't make it art.
>>
>>7060583
trolling is a art
>>
>>7060588
It used to be, now you just have to make a shitty thread about a YouTube chef.
>>
>>7060241
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8vd4X3IGg
watch this video to find out more
>>
File: 3713.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3713.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>7060585
What the fuck is your definition of art then, you fucking sperg? Because that is the LITERAL definition of art.

"The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."
>>
File: fuck.png (167 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
167 KB, 480x272
Because cooking is a fine skill that takes time to master. It requires you to know about what ingredients to use, how long you need to cook something and how to prepare ingredients together to be used in a meal. You have to read books and then apply theory to practice, it's the fastest way to learn how to cook senpai.

If you are like me, you don't know jack shit about cooking except beside making some fried eggs.

I'm on page 1 of "Cooking basics for dummies" uhhh....

After I finish this bad boy I'm getting some books on Chinese and Mexican cooking.
>>
>>7060241

I still dont know how to crack an egg. i always manage to get egg shell in the pan
>>
>>7060779
>not cracking your egg into a bowl first
>>
>>7060344
>tiny blobs of sauce
>art

Don't kid yourself, retard
>>
>>7060779
http://www.eatthelove.com/2014/04/how-to-crack-an-egg/

This is the best method I found, I use it and rarely get egg shells into the pan.
>>
>>7060329
He probably doesn't give a shit, and thinks that 5 minutes early or late out of the oven would still be perfectly fine so why not just follow the box time
>>
>>7060275
This.
>>
>>7060329

What's the problem? Some of us are lazy
>>
>>7060799

Thank you anon, that's really cool.
>>
>>7060329
Most people have been trained to take instructions as gospel and seek absolutes. They have no concept of real-world variances and can't understand that "25 minutes at 350" has a "within the error tolerances of your oven" attached to it.
It's not his fault, you just need to teach him the ways.
>>
>>7060372
Why is it always those who are the most scientifically illiterate who always appeal to science?
>>
>>7060293
I'm disgusted by the pretentious nature of this dish.
>>
>>7060610
>"... producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."

I'm sorry, but food is produced primarily to be eaten, not to "be appreciated for its beauty or emotional power". Presentation should be a secondary consideration behind flavor. Some chefs forget this and end up concentrating too much on how interesting they can make their dishes look while neglecting the flavor almost entirely. What's the point of creating a meal that looks amazing but tastes like chemicals?
>>
>>7060329
Is there even a fixed criterion where %foodname% is ready? most co/ck/sucker can't even agree on doneness of steak
>>
>>7061537
>Is there even a fixed criterion where %foodname% is ready?

No. It depends on the consumer, what they used to apply heat, and their tolerance.

For example, I imagine a lot of morans who make a lot of premade frozen shit (fries, tots, chicken, pizza rolls) in microwaves to tolerate their food being soggy.
But hey, as long as it's not frozen, right?
>>
I honestly think it's because some people don't know how to use Google. You know those people who enter questions in full sentence format, instead of key words or phrases? The kind who type "how do you boil some pasta in a pan" instead of "how to boil pasta".

The time I began learning to cook was about 8 years ago and I Googled that exact query. My parents never taught me any of those sorts of life skills. I didn't know if the wrong amount of water would either burn or saturate the pasta. I didn't know if anything I was doing would ruin any equipment I had. I didn't know to what extent undercooked pasta could be harmful, or how precise you have to be with your timing. For that reason, I Googled "how to cook pasta" and made an additional search for any remote ambiguity that came up so I could be 99% certain I was doing it right.

I then began being more adventurous and searching for more recipes, cooking meat etc, then seasoning, looking at foreign quisines and so on. After a while of doing that, still ironing out any ambiguities and uncertainties with Google and YouTube, you begin to get a feel for how things work in the kitchen and thats when you can begin to trust your instincts, allowing you to be creative and adventurous on what you cook.

Tl;dr: no excuse for bad cooking if you have Internet access.
>>
>>7060293
You dont decorate the edge of the plate faggot
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.