[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you use your rice cooker? Just got one - excited to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: ricecooker.png (26 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
ricecooker.png
26 KB, 350x350
What do you use your rice cooker? Just got one - excited to make more than rice.
>>
>>7887504
Its good for cooking rice, most other stuff is just a waste of electricity
>>
>>7887608
YOU'RE JUST A WASTE OF ELECTRICITY
>>
you can steam vegetables, that's about it
>>
I use mine to make rice. Both short grain and medium grain.
>>
>>7887504
Making rice.

Most of them _can_ steam vegetables, but they usually suck at it (take forever to heat up/small basket) compared to a proper veggie steamer in the same way that a veggie steamer can usually make rice but does a shit job.

It's a unitasker, it does one thing and does it well.. if you do that one thing a lot and have space for it, it's probably worth it but you're probably not gonna find a lot of hidden uses for the thing.
>>
>>7887504
ive actually made Ja-pan in one before, it wasnt half bad.
>>
File: Perfect-Jasmine-Rice1-1024x714.jpg (222 KB, 1024x714) Image search: [Google]
Perfect-Jasmine-Rice1-1024x714.jpg
222 KB, 1024x714
>buys a rice cooker, a specially built appliance for cooking rice
>immediately the first thing he wants to do is make not-rice in his rice cooker

If rice doesn't excite you why in the fuck did you buy a rice cooker?
>>
I hope you eat a lot of rice because if you don't and expect to make other stuff *well* in a rice cooker you'll be sorely disappointed. Especially if you bought an expensive one. I would say if you don't eat rice at least once every other day you're better off just learning how to steam it on the stove and save the money.
>>
File: Ricecooker pancake.png (246 KB, 580x387) Image search: [Google]
Ricecooker pancake.png
246 KB, 580x387
Always wanted to make this. Its pancake batter, make sure to add blueberries or choco chips just so it isn't boring.

Probably takes a long ass time tho.
>>
Also bought one recently. Theres a rice cooker cookbook that has a lot if good reviews in amazon, might want to look at that.
What sort if rice are best, I read most chinese Restaurants use thai jasmine for plain white and cali koshihikari is great for sushi/onigiri. Any recommendations?
>>
I make rice and steam veggies.

If you want, you can use it to make bread.

It makes rice, OP. It's a rice cooker.
>>
i use mine for popcorn. I imagine oatmeal works too
>>
>>7887950
its not that great desu
but its fun to try once
>>
>>7887886

Basically this.

People always like to argue that a rice cooker isn't a unitasker, and that there's all sorts of other stuff you can use it for, but honestly it's really just for cooking rice, and that other stuff is usually easier using another method.
>>
You can literally never fuck up rice if you use this..

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157

rice cookers take up space, are a hassle to clean and generally are superfluous, even for people who eat rice every day.
>>
>>7888045

There's about a billion people that disagree with you.

If you want a superfluous appliance go take a look at electric water kettles.
>>
>>7888045
who cooks rice everyday
>>
>>7888071

Um, many Asian people?
>>
>>7888081
maybe for a full household

4 cups can last me about a week
>>
>>7888092

Who said anything about specific amounts?
>>
>>7887504
complete waste of money

>boil water in pot
>add a bit of salt, butter if desired
>wash rice if desired
>add rice and reduce to simmer, as low as it will go without flame going out, and cover pot
>let simmer for 20-30 minutes, do not turn up heat
>stir occasionally to prevent burning and overdrying, add small bits of water if needed until desired doneness

perfect rice
>>
>>7888110

>perfect rice

That's a recipe for the opposite of perfect rice.
>>
>>7888110

no no, don't stir it at all. don't fuck with it. cook it, turn off the element and let it steam itself to perfection. If you fuck with it, you break the rice. You'll end up with starch stew. Fluff it after its done absorbing water. be gentle.
>>
>>7888115
except I just made perfect basmati rice for lunch, please share with us your critiques.

>>7888124
I didn't break a single grain and had nothing resembling a starch stew, it was perfect and fluffy. you're probably overreacting or using shitty rice.
>>
>>7888045
>>7888110
It's not that you need a rice cooker to make decent rice, it's that it's way easier and more convenient. Pour in water, pour in rice, press a button. You can do it before you do other stuff without having to monitor it, once the rice is done it'll keep it warm and it's just ready to go whenever.

If you make rice all the time and have ample counter space, worth it. If you make rice occasionally or have a cramped kitchen, sure, make it in a pot.
>>
>>7888110

I bet you grew up eating shitty rice thinking it was normal and learned your mom's technique and think your terrible rice is perfect just because it's what you grew up eating.
>>
>>7888151
my mom doesn't actually know how to cook, but I can't improve until you tell me what I've supposedly done wrong
>>
>>7888134

No, you're doing it wrong but ending up with a product you deem edible. But hey, if it works for you, go nuts. 2 parts rice to 3 parts water, rinse in cold water, boil your water and reduce to simmer after adding rice, 15 minutes then turn off the element and let sit for 10. Uncover and fluff. Perfect basmati.

Sushi rice is a little different however.
>>
>>7888147

I've owned a rice cooker, it's not easier. It's less theatening to people who don't know how to cook. People love "instructions" because they can follow them and not fuck up their food. When you know how to use a kitchen, all of the toys are worthless and get in the way.
>>
>>7888177

Rice cookers are Ikea furniture.
>>
>>7888177

>it's not easier
>t's less theatening to people who don't know how to cook

That's such bullshit and you know it.
>>
Can you picture how many rice cookers are in a Chinese restaurant? They must have an array of a hundred or so just to get through the dinner rush.
>>
>>7888195

Then explain who puts out 200 bills on a device that takes up counter space for a 4 step cooking process that is easily accomplished in a tin fucking pot? Do you have an explanation?
>>
>>7888202

Well I did, and I worked 5 years as a line cook and sure as fuck know how to cook rice on a stove.

It's convenient and it makes perfect rice every time. What's so hard to understand? Some people like rice more than others and are willing to spend $200 for something that will improve their quality of life in some small way for years to come.
>>
>>7888202
Large families/restaurants that eat a lot of rice? I have a $70 rice cooker that steams veggies and cooks rice perfectly while I shitpost. Definitely easier for me.
>>
>>7888214

How is it convenient, you need to wash the basket, if anything falls inside the machine you need to pick it out, you can't immerse it. I just don't get you people. At all. I don't know if yours is PTFE coated, but that's easily scratched. I want 1 pot, stainless steel that I clean once.

I guess its convenient to you.
>>
>>7888222

You think restaurant weight rice is cooked in rice cookers? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7888234

You've obviously never owned a good quality rice cooker.
>>
>>7888241

obviously. You're a koolaid drinker, just accept it. I'm going elsewhere.
>>
>>7888241
He's too poor for a decent one.
>>
>>7888234
>cleaning
I throw the basket in the dishwasher with everything else.

>scratching
Use a plastic spoon.

>stuff falling in
Can't say that happens to me, I mean it could I guess, but not sure how.

>can't immerse it
Why would you want to any more than you'd want to immerse a stand mixer.

Seriously though, I'm sure some people buy rice makers because they can't actually make rice any other way, but plenty of people are perfectly cable of making it in a pot, but like the convenience of a machine that effortlessly does it for them.
>>
>>7888063

Naw m8, I don't have access to a stove in my dorm but I do have a kettle
>>
>>7888263

t. junior community college
>>
>>7888253

bakelite and sharp polycarbonates will peel teflon, use bamboo. You're still working too hard for no reason. I spent the last 2 decades buying toys I threw out too. So, get back to me.
>>
>>7888267

I go to a fine university, the kitchen my freshman year was in the basement and I was on the third floor, and my sophomore year it was way down the hall. I just use it to make tea/noodles at 3am, what's the problem
>>
>>7888271
i appreciate wanting to keep women in the kitchen but technology has done more to emancipate them than can be undone
>>
>>7888110
Is there a way I can do this everyday but have it be more convenient? Like I want to make rice in the morning before I head to work and then have it ready when I get back home. Is there an easier way?
>>
>>7888549
Buy a rice cooker with a timer function.
>>
>>7888819

I'm pretty sure the anon you responded to was being sarcastic.
>>
File: 25.jpg (525 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
525 KB, 1024x768
>>7887504
I add shredded sweet potato with basmati rice, and mixed veggies.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.