[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I make it so my crust is really soft? Like a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: HOW.jpg (157 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
HOW.jpg
157 KB, 1500x844
How the fuck do I make it so my crust is really soft? Like a nice hamburger bun or a brioche.. I always have bread with a thick, hard crust..
>>
a dish with water in the oven with it can help but other than that I really don't know
>>
>>7886782
boil the bread, then stick it in the oven to get a bit of browning going.
>>
>>7886825

i do that. actually, i even splash some water on the hot even plate.

>>7886833

cunt
>>
>>7886907
I went to google to try to find an answer and I guess from what I've read it says once it's out of the oven, wrap it in a damp cloth until cool enough to touch instead of open air cooling. Also putting it into a plastic bag after it cools. I don't know if these actually work or not but just what I read.
>>
File: 1248788828424.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1248788828424.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>7886782

Pullman pan if you're rich. Aluminum foil if you're not.
>>
>>7886782
Overproof slightly

Cook at lower temperature

Don't use a wash

Bag when cool
>>
use a rich dough formula. You're probably using a lean dough formula, like one for a baguette or a boule. Dinner rolls are made with a rich dough, meaning they have some form of fat or shortening mixed in.
>>
cover bread with tin foil, and wrap bread in cloth when it's cooling.
>>
Add approx 2 tonnes of butter and eggs.
>>
>>7886825
Steaming results in a crustier crust.
>>
>>7886993
>>7887006

I went with Bruno Albouzes recipe and it worked out perfectly, only problem was that I needed more flour because I was using regular wheat instead of "bread flour", they don't carry that where I live.

Aside from water the dough also has 2 eggs and like 30ml olive oil in it incase anyone was wondering.

I used eggwash mixed with honey for the top of the buns and they were super soft. Really happy with 'em.
>>
>>7886993
This anon is correct, "enriched" doughs with butter or some kind of fat are going to be more soft and tender than a "lean" dough of flour, water, salt and yeast.

I don't have the recipe on me but I make hamburger buns with softened butter and egg yolk and they're godly.
>>
>>7887282
im going to need that recipe
>>
>>7887311
Looks like it's available online, and I was wrong it's a whole egg not an egg yolk, but here it is:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

They toast really well too. I would use them for chicken salad sandwiches or burgers of course but they're great for just about any sandwich.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.