[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1417091914907.jpg (355 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
1417091914907.jpg
355 KB, 1280x850
Do you think that putting vindaloo sauce on chicken wings would be a good idea?
>pic unrelated
>>
yeah, that'd probably be quite nice
>>
Playing.

I want to start making pho and many asian dishes, but the asian food in the grocery store is overpriced. There are asian groceries in biking distance. I'm just nervous going to one, I don't know exactly what to get or what the prices will be like. I kind of get anxiety going somewhere I've never been before, and I don't want the clerks chattering about the stupid white girl in chinese.

Can /ck/ post staples to get that will make many different recipes? I like pho a lot, but also spicy soups and noodle dishes and veg dishes. Goal is for the food to be moderately healthy and low in calories. (A bowl of pho is filling and only like 300 cals at most.) I also wanted to make daifuku mochi though and some steamed buns. (I have a bamboo steamer.) Is there a flour I can get away with using for both mochi and pork/cabbage buns?
>>
>>7885308
pro level bait
>>
File: 1459194697930.jpg (67 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1459194697930.jpg
67 KB, 500x354
>>7885308
I'm not gonna take it... I'm not gonna take it...
>she
FUCK I TOOK IT
>>
What's the deal with moldy pineapple bottoms? Everywhere I've seen selling them has mold on the bottom. Google says this is fine. Is it fine?
>>
>>7885530
>>7885336

This is /ck/ not /r9k/, it isn't bait. I'm fucking scared of walking in and not knowing what the fuck to buy and being overwhelmed with all sorts of poorly engrished signs for strange stuff.

I could follow recipes, but the set of ingredients for one recipe may be totally different from the set needed for another.

I want to know if there is ONE set of staples I can buy that will make almost anything. Let's pick thai for fun. Assuming the store even has it, because expecting an asian grocery to carry EVERY asian culinary tradition is a longshot.

>>7885589

I hate that shit. They've been mostly edible but they seem to skip being ripe and go straight to rotten. Watch carefully.
>>
File: yellow-goats-beard_0522_102413.jpg (69 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
yellow-goats-beard_0522_102413.jpg
69 KB, 450x600
How should I cook goatsbeard root?
>>
File: 1lhjzlq6egu5oboox.jpg (162 KB, 1068x900) Image search: [Google]
1lhjzlq6egu5oboox.jpg
162 KB, 1068x900
>Do you think that putting vindaloo sauce on chicken wings would be a good idea?
Yes I do.
>>
What does rinsing rice actually do? I know it cleans out potential stones/bugs/whatever else have you, but I mean in terms of texture of the rice. I know it's removing starch but like it seems to do something else, it makes it taste different too.
>>
What's the best paring knife, period?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (457 KB, 2416x1688) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
457 KB, 2416x1688
>had meal at random chinese place on trip
>beef with a PILE of sliced pic related on top
>the peppers were sort of dry and crunchy
>iirc was just called "spicy beef"

If you know a recipe or more accurate name please tell, I want to make it.
>>
>>7886819
Mostly it is just removing all that excess starch. Gives a better texture and less starchy flavor.
>>
File: 1414885357798.jpg (933 KB, 2121x1416) Image search: [Google]
1414885357798.jpg
933 KB, 2121x1416
I have a bunch of raw ingredients in the kitchen. Suggest what I could make with these.

Flour, sugar, caster sugar, cornflour, baking powder, custard powder, bread soda, cocoa powder, nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder, salt, vinegar, mustard, jam, sunflower oil, olive oil, bread, eggs, milk, butter, wine.
>>
>>7887759
Brownies
Sponge Cake
White Sauce
Pancakes
Tarts with jam filling

Cookies/Muffins (if you have anything to flavour them like lemon/coconut/ginger)
>>
>>7887453
Probably Hunan beef.
>>
>>7887759
Biscuits and gravy, though the gravy would be better with meat in it.
>>
>>7888462
how do you even make gravy without meat?
isn't it just roux?
>>
If someone were going to buy some sad, cheap can of soup to use as sauce for some gnocchi which one do you think would be most edible
>>
>>7888462
>>7888430
Thanks!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.