[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you like a bowl?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Would you like a bowl?
>>
Qu'est-ce que c'est? Je ne connais pas.
>>
>>7879062
If that's your generic American spaghetti dinner with macaroni noodles, then yes. If not, then I need to know what it is before I eat it.

While we're on the subject, I hate spaghetti noodles. I don't like to wrestle my food.
>>
>>7879062
Ugh. That looks like something my mother served me when dad was away on business trips back in the days before she really learned how to cook. Sort of like prison food, but made with love.
>>
Is that chili mac?

Yes please!
>>
>>7879093

Goulash?
>>
>>7879062
Yes, if you increase the sauce to pasta ratio, add a nice glass of Primitivo or Sangiovese and a simple green salad with a light vinigraitte
>>
>>7880601

What the fuck possessed Americans to start calling that shit Goulash? What fucking relation does it have to actual Goulash?

Explain yourself clapistanis.
>>
>>7880734
>immigrant moves in
>cannot find or afford appropriate ingredients
>wa la
>>
>>7880601
Her goulash was a beef stew with paprika, and it was actually good. It didn't have tomatoes, or if it did it didn't have a lot of them. She called this "ground beef and noodles", and I think it came from some awful collection of ground beef recipes published in the 1970's. It was little more than ground beef browned with onion, a can of tomatoes and overcooked macaroni. Terribad, like trying to make Italian American food if you'd never actually had it before. The few times she made stuff like this my bro and sis just refused to eat it.

Thankfully mom stopped taking chances on awful recipes from magazines like Good Housekeeping and the kind of recipe collections they gave away at the supermarket by the time I was eight or so. Like I said she was actually a good cook, just a little too trusting of bad recipes.
>>
>>7880765

He couldn't find beef and paprika?
>>
>>7880771
Ground beef is cheaper.
>>
>>7880789

That still doesn't explain the macaroni, the lack of vegetables etc.
>>
File: goulash33.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
goulash33.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
fuck yeah

this is American Goulash, eaten by anyone who grew up n the Midwest in the 60's-70's.

Moms made it because it was quick, they usually had the ingredients in the house, and it feeds a big family. Plus the shit is delish!

I make it about 1 every six months.
>>
>>7881010
>American Goulash, eaten by anyone who grew up n the Midwest in the 60's-70's.
So my conjecture that it was a take on Italian American food made by someone who had never actually tasted Italian American food was right.

The stuff isn't very flavorful. and didn't fly at all in my family, so mom stopped looking through 70's era cookbooks.

Any idea why they called it goulash? To make it not seem like an Italian dish, maybe?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.