[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mostly plant-based diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: need meats now.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
need meats now.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
So I'm looking to switch to a mostly plant-based diet. This is to maximize nutrition in the form of vegetables and fruits and some whole grains with very little pasta/pizza. I also plan on still eating meat, just sparingly.

My issue is most recipes from a quick google search yield pastas galore. I get it, it's filling. But I don't want all that.

Got any veggie-packed recipes? I'm thinking along the lines of the Mediterranean diet.
>>
>>7877907
The actual, traditional Mediterranean diet is a high-carb diet with plenty of pasta, couscous, bulgur and other wheat products though.

At the end of the day, you have to get your calories from somewhere, and vegetables probably aren't going to help you there. Of course one alternative to grains and cereals are legumes, which is what Fuhrman promotes in his conception of a plant-based diet.

From my experience, most people on a plant-based diet consume a lot more legumes than the average person anyway, and I see tons of recipes that incorporate legumes and non-wheat grains and pseudograins, because most people in that community are health nuts anyway, so they'd be aware of the benefits of legumes and some pseudograins etc.

Most recipes I see are veggie-packed too, but you still have to get the calories in without spending all day munching on grass. You can always double or triple the veggie portion if you want, I don't see what the problem there is. Yesterday I had over a pound of spinach for dinner, with a whole onion and a herring in tomato sauce, for carbs I just added oats. This is just an example, but another person might have eaten a quarter of a pound of spinach.
>>
>>7877960

Thanks. I am aiming for some weight loss, and pasta is shit when counting calories. I know I can't eat just veggies, but I would rather bulk it up with legumes and psuedograins.

I was thinking more Mediterranean inspired dishes rather than their typical day to day diet.

Thank you.
>>
>>7877979
Didn't you see the clickbait study last week that found pasta consumption independently associated with lower BMI?
>>
File: 316226-12324-41.jpg (21 KB, 260x173) Image search: [Google]
316226-12324-41.jpg
21 KB, 260x173
>>7877979
Don't forget about your starchy tuber vegetables such as (sweet) potatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplants, rutabagas, etc. They are the energy storehouses of the plant kingdom.

Dr. John A. McDougall's Starch Diet is basically a whole food plant based diet that uses such veggies and whole grain carbs to give calorie bulk to his meal plans.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/10-day-meal-plan/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0SRhSNSns

Carbs aren't bad in and of themselves. If you just eat whole wheat pasta with a tomato sauce and some mixed veggies/greens included you're fine. Likewise, a simple bake potato is fine. It's only after people pile on the butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon that it become a heart attack on a plate.
>>
sweet potatoes/other roots, beans/peas, and fatty fruits all give calories. obviously the mediterranean diet involves a lot of olive oil.

i like to eat canned white beans with sauce of tomatoes, olive oil, and vegetables -- onion, celery, carrot, squash, eggplant, cauliflower, fennel, spinach, chard. any or all. can have canned sardines, and bread, as sides.
>>
>>7877907
I'm pretty sure you're literally looking for a keto/paleo diet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/
I'm not sure if you're trying to cut carbs or just trying to cut grains. If you still want he carbohydrates, look at potatoes and corn for calories from carbs.
>>
>>7878025
>whole wheat pasta
how do people eat this. if i'm going to eat pasta i have the good stuff.
>>
>>7878031

I really like keto/paleo, but I don't have a lot of time for meal prep. Not to mention good meat is really expensive. So I'm going to the other end of the spectrum, I just don't want to fall I to the trap of empty calories a la pasta.
>>
>>7878071
Wheat is not empty calories, wheat is the primary source of short-chain fructooligosaccharides in the Western diet, which have beneficial effects on gut flora and prevent colon cancer
>>
>>7877960
>>7877907

Plant based here. Rice, whole grain breads and legumes are your filler. You could eat 10 servings of vegetables a day and not hit 1000 calories. Look at meals from cultures who traditionally eat a lot of vegetables - there's always a huge pile of rice or some other grain on the side.
>>
>>7878154

Maybe fresh from the plant and ground right before use. The modern way we use wheat is dogshit for our bodies.
>>
>>7878287
Yes, because the "modern way" people use wheat is as a delivery system for fatty animal products. Same thing for potatoes and rice. Wheat is a fantastic thing to consume if your diet isn't all fucked up.

A couple years back there was a study out of China that said white rice causes diabetes and Asians are particularly susceptible to this. Of course the only problem is that, as so often, epidemiology disproves all of the anti-carb nonsense. If you go to China and Japan in the 1950s, white rice accounts for the majority of calories and T2D is virtually nonexistent. The same is true for wheat in North Africa and the Middle East.
And these populations consume refined grains, not whole.
>>
>>7878322
>Yes, because the "modern way" people use wheat is as a delivery system....

That's part of it. But it's also the wheat itself. Modern wheat is bred/engineered for maximum yield and disease resistance. Nutrition and flavor aren't much of a concern. You can, however, get older varieties of wheat which are much healthier and taste much better too.
>>
>>7878322
>because the "modern way" people use wheat is as a delivery system for fatty animal products
>implying your ancestors didn't put lots of butter and lard and liver pate on that bread
animal fats are traditional, the modern problem is vegetable oil. and just portion sizes, you can eat whatever rich foods you want if you only have a little.
>>
>>7878421
Not sure if joking
>>
>>7878034
c'mon it's not that bad, bro
>>
>>7878421
i don't eat many animal products, but you're dumb if you think traditional diets don't feature them heavily.

modern processed food (new foods that never existed before) is what made everybody fat and unhealthy, recently. bread and meat just isn't the same thing as mcdonald's.
>>
>>7878483
sorry meant for >>7878442
>>
>>7878483
>>7878489
Well, first of all, "traditional diet" is not really defined, since diets change all the time, certainly from century to century. But one thing that is consistently different between modern diets and non-modern diets is that modern diets contain more animal products and more calories from both fat and sugar. The notion that "my ancestors" used tons of refined fat is not based on anything. And even if they did, that doesn't mean they were healthy. People were already dying from heart disease in large numbers in the 1940s when butter production and consumption in the US was higher than ever before.
>>
>>7878520
didn't heart disease go way up once people were convinced to switch from butter to margarine?
>>
>>7878559
Early margarine was full of trans-fats, which also cause heart disease. But heart disease is complex and multifactorial anyway, so it's not as simple as saying people stopped eating butter and got heart disease, therefore butter doesn't cause heart disease. And besides, heart disease affects mainly people over 60 and 70 and there were a lot of fewer of them around in the 40s.
>>
>>7877907
Vegan here, I mostly eat stuff like:

Dinner last night was tacos:
> Dry black beans cooked on the stove-top in some vegetable broth with garlic cloves, takes about 90 minutes, no soaking required; remove from liquid (I reserve the liquid for other purposes, like gravy), fry up with some already-translucent white onion, add in chili powder and cayenne pepper
> Fresh tortillas (really not that hard to make, I use a castiron and it actually works really well for tortillas)
> Roasted corn and tomatillo
> Pico de gallo

Tonight, I'm making spicy curried chickpeas (with onion, garlic, spinach, roasted red pepper) over coconut (brown) jasmine rice, with steamed veggies

Dirty rice is easy, basically carmelize/sautee a bunch of onions, red pepper, celery, etc, deglaze, add in rice and stir to coat + allow to toast slightly, add in half-cooked beans and stir + allow to cook a minute, add vegetable broth, bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer until the rice is done. Put in some cilantro or salsa or something at the end.

Soups in general are easy. and fun to play around with. Try making carrot chowder (super cheap), borscht, etc.
>>
>>7878597
>dry beans
>90 minutes
Learn to soak you faggot
>>
I'm vegan and I gotta give a big shoutout to beans. They blow most "superfoods" out of the water in terms of micronutrient density, just make sure you cook them right (soak and cook) as you need to make sure you're actually digesting and absorbing the nutrients you're putting into your body (something a lot of people forget with the whole raw food thing going on).

I highly recommend mung beans as they're delicious, very nutritious, and very easy to digest. I eat mostly Indian food these days so I get it as Moong Dal at my Indian grocery which is split and hulled mung beans.

Quinoa is a good grain to use as filler as it's very nutritious but it can cause some digestive problems in some people. It makes me bloated unless I cook it in a stew (Basically overcooked). Same thing with brown rice. It's got a lot of phytic acids which inhibit absorption of certain nutrients (but are also necessary for some cardiac functions) so don't force it into yourself if it makes you feel weird.

Tofu is great if you prepare it well.

Make sure you take a B12 supplement if you're gonna be vegetarian for a while.

Sardines and muscles are okay imo for vegans as they have nociceptors (pain input) but no central nervous system but it sounds like YOU DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE ANIMALS.
saying sardines are cruelty free is a good way to trigger vegans tho.
>>
>>7880477

Thanks. For what it's worth, I give a fuck about animals, I just want to eat more pasture raised meats, which are expensive.
>>
>>7880427
>Learn to soak you faggot
Drop your lower-class myths and insults.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/soaking-black-beans-faq.html
>>
There was another thread about this but it got deleted

Why are mods deleting threads about food but all the fast food shitposting and teenagers asking how to obtain alcohol illegally are left alone?
>>
>>7880704
I don't think deletions are based solely on the OPs. I'm seen threads deleted for "derails" and other things related to the replies. Also isn't it janitors that do deletions?
>>
Might wanna check out "the foodhourglass" and "how not to die". Both are not gurus but doctors.

From what I've seen in this thread it misses two things:

- nuts
- mushrooms

Also consider tea, all kinds of tea.

I myself - I only eat white meat, shrimps and fish occasionally - want to start eating bugs but in the Netherlands they are not readily available or too expensive.
>>
>>7880427

Soaking is pointless. It removes flavor from the beans, makes them too mushy, and doesn't change the amount of flatulence one bit.
>>
>>7880872
>>7880427
Soaking reduces cooking time and only removes flavor if the water is changed. Some hard-cooking varieties of beans need to be soaked. There's no general rule.
>>
>>7880890
>Soaking reduces cooking time

Like 15-30 minutes at most, which is offset by the fact that you need to soak for HOURS and remember to do it ahead of time.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.