[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fried Pickles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3
File: fried-pickles-tablefortwoblog-3.jpg (454 KB, 600x762) Image search: [Google]
fried-pickles-tablefortwoblog-3.jpg
454 KB, 600x762
Anyone on /ck/ had much luck making that which is the most delicious of the fried foods?

I want to try my hand at it today but I've never fried anything myself before. I was planning on buying a jar of Claussen chips because I like them the best
>>
>>7877546
bump
bought some real good spicy dills and want to try frying em
>>
>>7877546
Backyard Burgers if you have one near you, has some damn good fried pickles.
>>
>>7877546
>>7877585
Really? Just fucking fry them. I know no real recipie but when I was doing em we just bought crinkle cut pickles and double battered them in chickem batter (the batter was something like flour, salt/msg, pepper, and caynne).
>Dry the pickles
>Bread them
>Fry

We had a chicken battering station so I battered, dunked in water, battered, shook excess, and fry till golden brown, I believe we fried at ~350?
>>
>>7877742
My dad tried to make them once and the batter fell off of half of them. What's the best way to avoid that?
>>
>into the seasoned flour, coat and shake off excess
>into the beer batter, coat and shake off excess
>into the hot oil, take out when browned and crisp, drain excess oil

Easiest thing in the world, but spears are much better in my opinion than chips.
>>
>>7878687
>Flour AND batter
But doesn't the batter have flour? Do you have a recipe, maybe?

>spears are much better in my opinion
Why's that? Seems like there would be too much pickle
>>
>>7878738

You dip them in flour first so that the batter adheres. Batter is just roughly equal parts flour and beer/water/club soda, with a pinch of baking soda and salt.

Pickle spears are just a preference, but they're usually better quality to begin with and much less work to fry, ass they're bigger.
>>
Cornmeal, buttermilk, ranch seasoning, panko breadcrumbs, fry in peanut oil... Fuckin wa la
>>
>>7878682
Let the pickle juice run of them, them dunk in buttermilk, then corn meal, panko, ranch mixtape then fry.. Wa la
>>
File: IQvvtiBTvkUj.jpg (118 KB, 1182x886) Image search: [Google]
IQvvtiBTvkUj.jpg
118 KB, 1182x886
>>7877546
Variation:

Thinly slice courgettes or cut them in long sticks like you would serve carrots with a dip. Batter and flour lightly and then fry. Serve with tzatziki for dipping.

Delicious
>>
>>7878687
>but spears are much better in my opinion than chips.

I'll fucking fight you dude, shut up
>>
>>7879584

As already said, it's a matter of preference, but... Unless you're making/slicing them yourself, chips always tend to be of a much lesser quality. They're also much more work. And, having worked at a couple restaurants that did fried pickles, spears always sold much better than chips.
>>
>>7879610
Fair enough. I think quality of the pickle matters less too when you're doing chips, which is a plus. Too many times I've gone to restaurants and gotten spears, and they've been so chewy you end up eating the batter seperate from the pickle because you can't bite through it in one go.

Also the dip-ability of chips is far better, and I feel like I have more to eat.
>>
>>7877546
>CTRL F
>No zucchini

Flour > Egg batter > Breadcrumbs > Fry

You'll thank me later. Don't forget a hint of salt on completed food item.
>>
>>7879613

>you end up eating the batter seperate from the pickle because you can't bite through it in one go

I honestly think that's a matter of people just not giving enough love and respect to the fry station. When I first started as a line cook I pretty much became the fry guy, and quickly realized that nobody else in the kitchen cared enough to learn proper frying technique because it's one of the cheapest things and is looked down upon. But it actually takes a little experience to be able to put out quality fried food and I ended up getting stuck on that station because I was literally the only person who could put out consistently quality fried food on a busy night. It's literally just as nuanced as the grill, which everyone thinks of as the most difficult, simply because they're doing most of the expensive proteins.

And yes, I did just defend having been a fry cook; for what it matters I could can cook the entire line, but would only go so far as to call myself a master on the fry station, which isn't really something to brag about, but is much more difficult than literally everybody seems to think.
>>
>>7879617
See >>7879496
Courgettes = zucchini

And yeah you're right about the salt
>>
>>7879629
Tell us your secrets m8. I'm intrigued
>>
>>7877546
>pickles
>the most delicious of the fried foods?
Err. I'm going to debate that isn't true.

Yes, you can fry pickles, and you don't even need to deep fry. They're an oddity, kind of like eating the fried outside of something as the main dish, with the pickle flavor of a salt and vinegar chip, with dill of course. To further it, you dunk it in some creamy dip.

Protips:
Pat them dry.
Lightly dust with flour or corn starch to grab on there.
Bread with the egg + panko and rest plan.
Don't mess them much after the draining step. Treat them like fragile creatures.
>>
>>7879662
>Courgettes

Didn't know this. Good to know for future though, thanks.
>>
>>7879629
>literally
>literally
>literally
Duuuuuuudeweeeeeeed
>>
>>7879496
Please speak English and not your retarded gay pseudo-French. While you're at it, "bleu cheese" is not a thing.
>>
try fried pickled okra or fried pickled green beans

much better
>>
>>7879681
You're welcome.

Also:
eggplants are also called aubergines.
cilantro is coriander

can't think of more now
>>
>>7879751
Fuck off faggot, I bet you think chiles are called "capsicum"

Just die
>>
>>7877742
What's the point of dunking the pickles in water after the first battering?
>>
>>7877546
Pretty damn easy, make a seasoned beer batter, throw them in, then throw them in the deep fryer.
>>
>>7879755
No we call them chillies. I don't know if you noticed but all I'm doing is giving the British version of American names. Now go ride your mobility scooter off a cliff.
>>
>>7879795
What do you think about frying bread and butter pickles? I always find them in a thicker cut, do.you think three taste would be off or would it work?
>>
>>7879709
Courgettes IS English. It's British English, aka the only kind as opposed to what you are speaking, which is some kind of strange colonial patois.
>>
>>7879803
Never tried it.
>>
>>7879804
>irrelevant country language
>not the world superpower language

May as well go back to Old English and suck your own dick.
>>
>>7879804
English on the East Coast (mid-Atlantic specifically) is much closer to what the British spoke than what the British speak now
>>
>>7879817
>Yanky Pidgin/Lard Creole
>world superpower language
No thanks, I'll speak the Queen's
>>
>>7879837
Who cares what language was spoken 300 years ago? Our version is correct, yours isn't. Simple as that. You shouldn't be allowed to call it English, just call it American so you don't confuse people.
>>
>>7879844
Except literally no one except a few people on a tiny island agrees with you
>>
>>7879837
That's not true.

Snopes.jpg
>>
>>7877546
For me fried pickles taste amazing, but after about 5 or 6 of them I don't need any more, but whenever I've ordered them they just give you a massive fucking plate of them, even more than a large order of fries
>>
>>7879852
They (and whoever has a Cambridge ESOL certification) are the only actual English speakers, theirs is the only opinion that counts.
>>
>>7879892
The large majority of the english-speaking population disagrees with your wholly retarded assertion, my friend. Maybe you should move up north so you can practice being a true Scotsman.
>>
>>7879837
>English on the East Coast (mid-Atlantic specifically) is much closer to what the British spoke than what the British speak now
Mixing up two thing here.

1) Mid-Atlantic accent is a term that describes a hollywood-era phony fake high born accent created to make americans sound more european and dignified. Last time I googled it, I think it specifically came out of a single boarding school. Celebrities who used it seemed continental and jet set, kind of sophisticated. William F Buckley Jr, Katherine Hepburn, and the like...a bit Downtown Abbey without the blue blood.

2) It is in fact true that Appalachian mountain accents (that stereotypical southern sounding accent that people think sounds so stupid) has some similarities to older queen's English, and I think specifically a cadence and elocution. I'm not going to discuss it further, more of a linguists job to break it down and I don't remember all the proper terms for the aspects that are similar. I once heard a side by side recording that was astonishingly similar. I do remember learning middle English when reading Canterbury Tales and when using the right pronunciations for middle English, I developed a bit of appreciation for the spoken word and slang vernacular. It's all good. No judging!
>>
>>7879924
You're mixing up one thing here, nobody fucking cares.

Thank you all for derailing this decent thread into shitdom.
>>
>>7879697

>a word that was only used hyperbolically once out of three times in a long post (which is literally recognized as a proper usage of the term at this point) triggered me
>>
>>7879804

It's actually French, dipshit. I bet you also throw a hissyfit when someone uses "entree" to refer to the main course but goes full autismo if someone writes "bleu cheese".

Guess what? People use language differently in different countries, and just because "English" is named after a tiny, now more than ever, insignificant island nation, doesn't make your way the correct way.
>>
>>7879919
Scots don't speak English, they speak Scots (which is entirely different from Scottish Gaelic/Erse). Just like you speak American.
>>
>>7879933
>Actual information from someone who has studied something instead of faggot posting the 100th thread with 2 sentences about how they love fast food
>Bitching about that

Fuck off back to /b/
>>
>>7879958
All I did was show how we call these things in Britain and in many other parts of the world.

Then some hamplanet got butthurt and started berating the country that (unfortunately) spawned his cockmongrel lardland and the patois he speaks, because words that are unfamiliar to him are scary.
>>
>>7879977
>the joke

>sea level

>[sonar ineffective]

>your head
>>
>>7879933
I care. I'm always happy to learn new things.
>>
>>7879987
Oh it's true then, Americans really don't understand sarcasm. Anyway, neat use of the Return key old boy.
>>
>>7879986
>All I did was show how we call these things in Britain and in many other parts of the world.
Not that guy, but courgette is obviously a french word, and zucchini is obviously an italian word. Rather than trying to claim it's English or some crap, why not just concede what is obvious to everyone else. It's the same thing with the cilantro vs coriander debate. This isn't a debate about the correct pronunciation of herb or oregano, but the word choice. Guess what the conclusion is? People call an item what whatever ethnic group calls it who either popularized it or likes it best. Cilantro won. Rocket lost. We love our Italians and Mexicans in the US, I guess.
>>
>>7879981
>oh, true english is from england, blah blah fucking blah
>this is related to food and cooking
>this thread actually had good replies before you chucklefucks showed up and derailed the thread

Umm... offf topic posts belong on /b/, you utter newfag.
>>
>>7879997
>I was only pretending to be retarded
>sarcasm

Whatever stupidity that post was, that wasn't sarcasm. I like when people just stopped posting when they were revealed as dumbasses.
>>
>>7880000
I've been here longer than you. Something slightly off topic within a thread but interesting is a lot more welcome than the 1000000th 1 sentence reply calling someone a fag because they like or dislike beans in their chili or some other retarded shit
>>
>>7879998
You literally quoted the part of my post that said "..and other parts of the world", yet proceed to inform me of the origins of the word courgette.

In England, where English is spoken, courgette is the word we us. All I did was mention this then the landwhale got angry ( >>7879755 ). I think it's because anything that isn't edible and made of corn syrup, confuses and angers Americans.
>>
>>7880004
>attempts to insult me and my post
>claims it was a joke that I didn't get
>itwaslejoke.jpg
>>
>>7880007
This.

10 year poster here...I think the name caller needs to go. We're not militants in ck like that guy. We actually like learning here, even when it edges off the topic, as it always comes back around.
>>
>>7880007
And yet, you're a tripfag who derails threads that have not only nothing to do with the OP, but nothing to do with the entire board. And what more, defends it.

Fucking cancer incarnate.
>>
>>7880000
Awwww so cute, you're trying to fit in.

The best of both worlds are those sandwich sliced pickles, if you find a decent brand. Great for frying.
>>
File: completelystraight.png (791 KB, 971x785) Image search: [Google]
completelystraight.png
791 KB, 971x785
>>7877546
Way deep down in our Beloved Dixie we serve them with a side of special 'comeback' sauce.
>>
>>7880016
>10 year poster
Fug so am I. What the fuck are we still doing here.
>>
>>7880016
Lurk moar.
>>
>>7880028
Atleast you don't remember 4chan "shutting down" multiple times and having to go to 5chan
>>
>>7880065
>not going back to totse
>>
>Season some flour with Tony's
>Divide in two
>make dredge with egg and hotsauce
>flour, dredge, other flour
>make sure they dont stick to one another
>Fry in whatever oil, stir them around to flip them if you want

DIP IN RANCH BECAUSE THIS IS AMERICA
>>
>>7877546
Made it with beer batter that also had buttermilk

Would have turned out ok, but I'm a complete retard who's never fried anything and didn't realize when they were really "done" until I was halfway through cooking them.

Turned out well, would do it again another time
>>
whole pickle is the best
>>
>>7877546
frickles are easy peasy and delicious. you don't need help, you just need to try
>>
>>7880332
I did

And like I said I was unfamilliar with frying so half came out underdone which is most unpleasant to eat
>>
But now I have a jar of brine that's soaking 8 boiled eggs (all I could fit) for later consumption so I'm fine with it
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.