[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
So I'm just beginning to learn to cook. I have been just trying to learn the basics of prep with a slow-cooker. I feel like I'm making no progress and was hoping you all could give me some tips. I'm tired of just heating frozen pre-made foods and would really like to learn the art of actual cooking. Can anybody give me any advice or are their questions I have to answer?

It's worth noting that in addition to the slow cooker limited space, ONE knife although I just bought pic related, one cutting board, an oven and a stovetop with one burner that won't stay in place. inb4 "buy a cookbook-" I have five I'll be buying with my next paycheck but I'm hoping for tips and tricks I won't find in a cookbook to make things easier.
>>
>>7875237
Forgot to mention I also bought a knife sharpener that is on the way and I recently purchased new pots/pans.
>>
>>7875237

>i just bought pic related

Wow. When you asked about those the other day literally everyone in the thread said they were junk and not to buy them, but you went ahead and bought them anyways.
>>
>>7875237
>Can anybody give me any advice or are their questions I have to answer?

Sure, what do you want to know about slow cookers?

They're basically a machine that performs braising for you--low and slow cooking in a moist environment. It's the exact same thing as putting food in a pot on the stove on a very low heat, or putting that pot inside the oven set to a low temperature.
>>
>>7875266

I was about to point out the very same thing.
>>
Here is what everyone needs to get cooking right

>A GOOD Chef's knife. This is practically the most important part of your gear. Do not go and get some cheap, shit, knife. Buy nice, or buy twice. Those cheap knife sets. like in your pic, aren't worth it.
>A paring knife, any will really do
>Butchers Steel and a Whetstone, the "easy to use" sharpeners are not worth your time, learn how to properly sharpen, hone, and upkeep your knife.
>A good cutting board
>One good pan, completely metal is the best bet, so it can be placed in the oven
>One small and one med/large pot, full metal again for oven reasons\
>A good, instant read, thermal probe. This is something you should never cheap out on, and something you should regularly check to insure it is well calibrated

ALSO
>Claw Grip
>Claw Grip
>Claw Grip

Some good things to take on to learn some basic principals of cooking
>Risotto
>Scallops
>Poached Fish
>Steak
>Any type of stew
>The mother sauce's
>>
>>7875266
>>7875285
People responded to it? I left after about two hours without any sort of reply. Before you ask I do have the auto-update on. Sorry to have beaten a dead horse and thank you for replying; I'm glad I only paid $45 for them.

>>7875277
Well, I'm not just after advice for slow cookers. That said, what types of foods are best cooked in a slow cooker?

>>7875303
Is there a way to learn to sharpen a knife without paying a big sum at a cooking school? I've tried youtube guides and have tried using my stone and rods with what seemed like no success. Can you also explain what "claw grip" is?

Thank you for the list of basic dishes too; I''ve noted them and will look up recipes to try.
>>
File: back0.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
back0.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
>>7875316
>People responded to it?

I responded to it about 5 minutes after it went up. Many other people did shortly thereafter. Perhaps you didn't refresh the page?

>>That said, what types of foods are best cooked in a slow cooker?
Things you would braise: basically, large cuts of tough meat. Stew. Chili. Pulled pork.

>>learn to sharpen a knife
Sure, just google it or watch videos on youtube.

>>claw grip
I'm not the guy that posted that, but I assume he's referring to how you hold your hands when using a knife to cut veggies. Just google "how to cut an onion". Pic related is how you hold the knife itself.
>>
>>7875324
Thank you.
>>
>>7875237
sheesh dont get so complicated about cooking, just go to a nice website like seriouseats and do some simple recipes for one person.
Omelette is good for beginners, if youre willing to accept 1-2 fails, its fucking delicious and takes 1-2 min start to finish.
But honesty, best advice is to just take it easy, find a nice market where shopping for vegetables/meat is affordable and exciting, then just pick random things that look nice and try to not fuck them up, worst case you can always just stirfry veg with a little oil on high heat and eat ti with some grain/rice/potatoes.
>>
>>7875237

>>7875303

this is a solid post

i think he is only missing a few elements, those being techniques:

how to properly hold and move your knife (not just the grip)

how to chop, finely chop, mince and puree (with the blade of your knife)

how to sautee, how to fry, how to deep fry

cooking times for every veg and peace of meat

the chemistry of cooking: what is the mailard reaction, what is caramelization, how do foods (esp meat) break down, how does pickling and curing work et cetera

basic hygiene: chicken and eggs edition. how long does X keep in the fridge/freezer?

and, one really important thing: get a mortar and pestle. do it. its like 20 bucks and you'll use it on a day to day basis.

have fun OP!
>>
I was gifted a knife set, with block, and they are horrendous heaps of shit. Super flimsy and dull. Can I save them with sharpening or are they just trash? If I can save them, what's the best method?
>>
>>7875579

Any knife, even a shit-tier knife, can be sharpened to a razor edge. The difference between a good knife and a bad one is how long that sharp edge will last before you have to sharpen it again.

The flimsiness can't be fixed.

>>what's the best method
They need to be sharpened. It sounds like they're really dull, so you'd start out with a fairly coarse stone--something around 300-500 grit. Then sharpen with finer stones to get a better edge.
>>
>>7875237
>QTDDOT

I hope you stab yourself you piece of shit
>>
Going to generic Thai place tomorrow for lunch. What get?
>>
>>7875237

>look up recipe
>make it
>???
>new skill added
>do many times
>start making own shit

Youtube videos for skills.

>>7875579

Sell them. Buy one good knife. Flimsy knives are not just shitty, but dangerous. I've had a blade break on me and the blade part came flying at me and impaled into the floor. Fucktard poorfag family growing up, cheapest knife set he could find.
>>
>>7875923
Curry
>>
is there any good resources on cooking with cast iron pans? i don't own one and neither do my parents but they seem cheap and really good for searing steaks, burgers etc so i'm thinking about buying one. which one should i buy? i've done reading about seasoning the pan with an oil like canola oil and it seems easy enough to season the pan once every few months.
>>
>>7876494
You're buying a lodge because that's basically the only brand

It's already seasoned

Don't listen to the assburger patients going crazy trying to make their cast iron almost as nonstick as a true nonstick pan

Just use the cast iron for muh hamboigahs and get different pans for each task

A pan that "sticks" is actually a good thing for searing meats
>>
File: rabbit-roast.jpg (393 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rabbit-roast.jpg
393 KB, 1024x768
At what temp and for how long do I roast a whole rabbit to get it fall off the bone tender? Use a roasting pan? Vegetables? I plan on marinating it for 24 hours ahead of time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.