[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Dry Aging?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dry aged steaks.jpg (349 KB, 2125x1196) Image search: [Google]
dry aged steaks.jpg
349 KB, 2125x1196
Anyone know how much different home dry-aged beef is vs the professionally dry aged beef at steakhouses?

Pic related, a few dry aged steaks I made for a dinner w/ friends last year.
>>
High end steak restaurants have temperature controlled compartments to age their beef. Most people at home just put it on a plate in the refrigerator and let it rot for 3-4 weeks, and then cut off the green bits.
>>
enjoy your botulism
>>
>>7873009
>High end steak restaurants have temperature controlled compartments to age their beef. Most people at home just put it on a plate in the refrigerator and let it rot for 3-4 weeks, and then cut off the green bits.

I can get my fridge to pretty much any temp 33-50 with a probe thermometer and the thermostat. I think the professional process controls the humidity also though.

The only home aging recipes I've seen do 5-7 days. 3-4 weeks seems like it would get TOO dry.

>>7873015
>enjoy your botulism

lol....the bacteria causing botulism is an obligate anaerobe. So oxygen is toxic to it, that's why it's only an issue in canned/jarred foods.

Bacteria in general though doesn't grow well on such a dry surface, as long as you keep contaminants away and the temp stable.
>>
>>7873066

>3-4 weeks seems like it would get TOO dry

The recipes I've seen use primal cuts, where you then chop off the exterior and butcher it into maybe half a dozen individual steaks, rather than starting with individual cuts like in the OP pic.
>>
>>7873066
restaurants also do not dry age INDIVIDUAL cuts of steak. they dry age whole primal cut sections then shave off the outer layer of rot before cutting to steaks after the dry aging process has completed
>>
>>7873066

nice I got a (You)
>>
You can't really dry age individual steaks. Too much surface area.
>>
I can get a good week week and a half on mine.
But I'll murder a roll of paper towels changing those fuckers every day.
>>
some Boer scumbag farmer type posted a 30 day experiment with a peice of steak and a temp controlled clean environment a while back.

his report was that it turned out fantastic, lost a significant amount of beef but he would do it again.

>but then he was killed by some blacks
>>
>>7872997

>Pic related, a few dry aged steaks I made for a dinner w/ friends last year.

Why would you attempt to dry age anything without reading about how you'd might try and replicate the process successfully at home? Or did you just say "fuck it"? Once sliced the most you can rest them is probably one day on a rack (salt seasoned).

If anyone is seriously thinking about doing this you need to start with NAMP 180 (strip loin) or NAMP 109A (prime rib). From there it is pretty straight forward if you have an open fridge that keeps temps.
>>
>>7873089

this. if you start out with your target steak, you'll end up with a fishstick sized steak once you cut off the yuck once it's aged. you need to start with a whole cut.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.