[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whiskey general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 5010739197310_z1_z1.jpg (18 KB, 348x400) Image search: [Google]
5010739197310_z1_z1.jpg
18 KB, 348x400
Question about scotch. I'm just a beginner in whiskey drinking and I have decided to give a try for a scotch. But then I saw, that there are numerous types of scotch regions, like highlands, Islay, Speyside. The question- should I care about these regions when buying scotch? Do they give some knowledge, like how scotch will taste like? Also, is pic related good stuff?
>>
GO here:

http://www2.malts.com/index.php/en_es/Choosing-Whisky/A-World-of-Flavour/The-Single-Malt-Whisky-Flavour-Map

Then Google your ass off. Lots of info on the web.

Go to Scotland, go on tours.

Find a good bar in the area, make friends with the bartender.
Taste, taste, taste,

Me? Taliskers.
>>
File: P-Whiskey_ZOOMv1.2.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2658) Image search: [Google]
P-Whiskey_ZOOMv1.2.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2658
The specific differences between Whisky Whiskey Bourbon and Scotch and nearly endless, and sometimes totally irrelevant.

Personally my cheap go-to is Bullit Rye.
>>
>>7872689
Related to this, I will be going to Scotland for about 5 days with access to a car. Suggestions on distilleries that anyone has seen or wants to see? Other things like castles and nature are also appreciated.
>>
>>7872822
Haven't been to Scotland so I can't comment, but there should be tours that combine all that stuff. I did a cool tour in Northern Ireland that went around to some awesome historical landmarks, nature shit, and then the last stop was the Bushmills distillery.
>>
Yeah, the regions give some indications about what the whisky will taste like, the more famous example is that islay produce peated whisky.
>>
File: burning peat bog.jpg (141 KB, 650x423) Image search: [Google]
burning peat bog.jpg
141 KB, 650x423
'lay style 'sky is the best.
>>
>>7872702
Talisker tastes smokier than Lagavulin to me.
>>
>>7873293
Yeah, about smokyness. Is this a good thing in scotch, is it pleasant?
>>
>>7873960
peat smoke makes the whisky taste entirely different to regular, run-of-the-mill scotch, blends or single malts. defo a thing to experience. first time I tried Laphroaig, I didnt even feel the "regular" scotch taste, just a stench that filled the entire room and burned my nostrils with its dryness
>>
>Do they give some knowledge, like how scotch will taste like

Yes.
Islay is the bullshit that tastes like smouldering peat moss.

Lowland is the stuff that actually tastes good.

The other regions are okay.
>>
>>7875480
It's a bit of a knock. The first Laphroig I tried was the Select NAS. It had an almost Talisker character to it - smoky as hell but sweet and palatable.
The Laphroig 10 yr old initially smelt like damp rags but halfway through the bottle and, I assume, some form of oxidization with the air it mellowed out and became less offensive.
The taste certainly changes as well - mellows out and with that more flavours appear.
I preferred Ardbeg desu but Talisker is my fav peaty whisky so far.
>>
Anyone have a list of good Irish whiskeys?
>>
One more question. How much do I have to drink to be expert in whiskey? I mean, can you guys tell which one is blend and which one is single malt or to indicate if whiskey is scotch, irish and etc, just by tasting it?
>>
>>7875675
I like The Irishman and Black Bush.
>>
>>7875519
>the bullshit that tastes like smouldering peat moss
That would actually be your mom
>>
What's a good Tennessee Whiskey?
>>
>>7876322
None
>>
File: 3476356475674.jpg (83 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
3476356475674.jpg
83 KB, 736x981
This stuff is great
>>
>>7875675

You got your Jameson's, you got your Bushmill's.
Powers? Teeling? Tullamore?

Me? Redbreast.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2906/redbreast-12-year-old
>>
>>7876322

Go to Ohio. Find one there.
>>
>>7872822

Whereabouts in scotland? Might be able to help a little if its the north-east
>>
ive tried a few japanese whiskeys, yamazaki and nikka pure malt. what would you recommend i try in more widely available scotch?
>>
>>7872822
I would go to Islay for sure, Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Maybe Springbank, Bruichladdich, Arran.

>>7873960
I like it but your mileage may vary.

>>7875695
It can be hard to tell between blends and malts if the quality is good. Pretty clear difference between Irish and Scotch whiskey generally.

>>7875675
Redbreast cask strength

>>7876324
Correct
>>
I, for one, dont like to spend my money on dishonest, or half-truth-based marketing ploys with memewords like: traditional, original, secret family recipe, hand-selected, expertly matured, small batch, family reserve.
>>
>>7876794
Starting in either Glasgow or Edinburgh but we have a car rented so we can travel in any direction
>>
From what I drank I liked
MacAllan Amber
Jura
GlenLivet Founders Reserve
Dalmore 12 years

Any recommendations for more? Didn't like Ardbeg when I drank it
>>
File: 1467815328549.jpg (124 KB, 640x643) Image search: [Google]
1467815328549.jpg
124 KB, 640x643
So i'm assuming that all this shit doesn't taste like jack daniels or fireball or some shit right?

like, what's the difference?

i'm actually not trolling, i'm ignorant on the subject.
>>
>>7877922
Fireball is basically whiskey-flavored cinnamon candy.

Most scotches either taste like flaming band-aids (which people start to like after a while) or they're like most whiskies that taste like old wood juice, like licking a wooden spoon that you used to stir some homemade orange jelly or cinnamon applesauce. You can smell it but it's not very sweet, mostly woody and spicy and warm.
>>
>>7877958
>flaming band-aids
uwot
>>
>>7877681
Glenlivet 15 Yr old french bird
>>
>>7877958
Pretty good description
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.