[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greek food-do you like it or no? what have you tried that was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 16
File: walk4 (48).jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
walk4 (48).jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Greek food-do you like it or no? what have you tried that was good what was bad?? im thinking of opening a greek restaurant-give me opinions
>>
>good
street food

>bad
literally everything else.
i fucking hate greek home cooking and sit-in restaurant stuff. if the greek place doesn't do take away, i'll likely not enjoy anything on its menu. same with turkish food (which is the same shit under a different name and banner)
>>
File: phone 065.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
phone 065.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
>>7872252
im also thinking about a food truck ..not really sure yet..what were some things you enjoyed??
>>
>>7872249
>Greek food-do you like it or no? what have you tried that was good what was bad?? im thinking of opening a greek restaurant-give me opinions
You have two directions you can take here:
1) Appease the biggest mediterranean demographic, and rather than cook actual Greek food, you only cook non-pork items. If there are locals who are muslims, they won't shun your place. Call it a mediterranean taverna and get all the neighboring cuisines into the menu, north african, isreali, lebanese, etc.
2) Open a comfort food diner with focus on greek items too. Daily specials with soup/salad/dessert included, and incorporate some of the favorite dishes, or include some great seafood. Daily you'll have to include some gyro meat, spinach and feta in the breakfast omelettes, maybe some shakshouka or some other egg tucked bread idea.
You'll need your dessert hand good. Baklava, galactobourka, maybe some homemade turkish things. The $10ish family diner is popular with old folks, esp if you do an early bird, and they can be your bread and butter, the post-church crowd too, this is Diner 101. If you're doing something else, sadly, probably turning away some folks.

There's a place called Gyroville, kind of doing a take on the fast casual Chipotle idea, combined with Chicken Kitchen, I'd say, with a touch of latin american with some chimmichurri combined with the assortment of tzatzikis . Chopchop layered rice platters. I don't live near one anymore, but it'd be in my weekly rotation if I did. Check out their menu for ideas.
>>
File: walk4 (45).jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
walk4 (45).jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>7872274
thanks man,,everything you said makes sense..im just trying to do something good and different..
>>
>>7872270
Pretty much anything that's wrapped in a pita to-go is good. Anything requiring utensils I find to be god-awful. Sorry Greekbro, but I can't stand your food other than souvlakia and shit like that.

Lucky for you, Greek take-out stands seem to make way more money than sit-in Greek joints.
>>
File: greekgyronotmudslimekebab.jpg (35 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
greekgyronotmudslimekebab.jpg
35 KB, 400x393
Gyro > doner/kebab
>>
File: 1376678809804.jpg (47 KB, 226x199) Image search: [Google]
1376678809804.jpg
47 KB, 226x199
What are greek restaurants like outside of Greece? Do you people just have guro joints or full on tavernas with lamp dishes and seafood mezedes?
>>
>>7872294
your opinion is accepted..but youve obviously nevere had real greek food...usually its butchered and westernized in oreder to sell to other flavor pallates,,but i assure you if you try my granmas stuff youll never forget it..
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 320x165) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 320x165
>>7872252
>Greek same as Turk
Shots fired
>>
>>7872307
gyro joints are everywhere,,yes.. but there are also countless places that serve up anything from fresh octapus and all kinds of seafood,,to the most tender lamb / beef / pork/ dishes and bbq's youve ever had..
>>
>>7872313
i saw that too ..i just thought to let it slide...for now
>>
>>7872322
its all about the profit mate..

>>7872332
when you say authentic you mean real greek or americanized..also your clients are mostly what?? young ? old? americans? other?what state?
>>
>>7872332
what sells the most?
>>
>>7872366
>>7872358
do you think a food truck or a small shop with take away ? also who does the cooking??
>>
>>7872377
. Bellydancing, plate smashing, and Zorba dancing make for an exciting and memorable dining experience.
thats full blown greek taverna mate...lol,,also that menu is huge,,im thinking way smaller of course,,mostly due to monies
>>
File: walk11 (19).jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
walk11 (19).jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>7872396
im leaning towards food truck honestly..but i just got homesick for some reason ..i miss pic related
>>
File: 1367211153520.png (486 KB, 526x700) Image search: [Google]
1367211153520.png
486 KB, 526x700
>>7872377
No pastitsio? What the balls?
>>
File: walk10 005.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
walk10 005.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>
>>7872421
yup
and also this ---> >>7872420
>>
>>7872310
Well, while not strictly speaking Greek, I'm ethnically Grekánoi, and it's after my people that the majority of European languages get the name for Greece.
Anyway, we speak a language that's mostly intelligible to yours, so I've been to Greece and got around speaking Grekánika mostly fine. I have Greek family and Greek friends so trust me when I tell you I'm familiar enough with Greek food to say I don't like it. Because I don't. Sorry if that offends, bro, but I strongly dislike it.
>>
>>7872445
You can sell mousaka and fucking shrimp souvlaki (which is a dish that I have never seen on a menu after living in Greece for the past 26 years) but not pastitsio?

Canadians and slavs have shit taste it seems.
>>
>>7872454
Actually, lemme strike that: I fucking love Greek seafood, but that's rarely, if ever, served in restaurants outside of Greece except for fried squid. Whoopdieshit.
>>
>>7872454
doesnt offend me mate..to each his own..right?
>>
File: octapussy.jpg (54 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
octapussy.jpg
54 KB, 240x320
>>7872464
do you think octapus on a stick would sell?
>>
>>7872474
Yes.
>>
>>7872474
I'd buy the fuck out of it, but I don't think others would, no.
>>
>>7872473
its true..you really cant go full blown greek..like lambs liver and kidneys and hearts wrapped with intestines and cooked on charcoal..(kokoretsi).
or brains with lemon sauce..
>>
>>7872485
>wrapped in intestines
I thought it was wrapped in caulfat.
>>
>>7872474
this is soooo juicy and tender,,the flavor compares to nothing in my opinion..
>>
>>7872474
It has the problem that opposed to souvlaki octopus isn't very filling, tasteful (not to most people desu) but not filling.

>>7872489
Nope, it's well washed intestines. They are the best part of that dish, so crispy and savory if properly made.
>>
>>7872489
noooo the kokoretsi is intestines 100 percent..the caulfat is for things like tsigerosarmades and sieftalies or gardoumba
>>
>>7872495
well its one of my favorites and octapus pita or on a stick could become a ''trendy'' thing for hipsters and shit ..and yes if properly scrubbed them inestines get so crispy and delicious...shit my mouth is now watering
>>
>>7872332
where in greece do you hail from sempai?
>>
>>7872454
So what foods don't you like and why? Which ones have you tried that really stood out for not being nice? I'm curious
>>
>>7872860
Also Greek food is incredibly varied according to each region. If you compare food from the mountains of Epirus and food from the Cyclades it's like two different countries.
>>
i love Greek guys and food
>>
>>7872249
Turkish is better in every way. Even in the greekest part of North London the Turkish food is better
>>
My girlfriend is Greek, but doesn't really cook nor how to make Greek food.

But i love going to family stuff and having her grandmother cook. Gyros for dayzzzzzz
>>
File: oyt.jpg (82 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
oyt.jpg
82 KB, 750x1000
saganiki is a crowd pleaser
>>
>>7872928
There is no such thing as Turkish food, most of their dishes are either Byzantine, Persian, Armenian, Arab or Kurdish in origin. "True" Turkish cuisine is inedible steppe-food.

Also

>eating food in the UK
>>
>>7872942
Nobody makes it like that in Greece.
>>
>>7872249
Isn't Greek food just Turkish food?
>>
>>7872971
Oh well maybe they should, thats probably why they dont have any money there. If you stand out as a business you may draw more clientele.

greek food places are always the same old crap and maybe thats why its such an unmemorable cuisine..
>>
>>7872249

Not really. It's kind of bland like most Mediterranean dishes.
>>
>>7873003
>Trying to bait this hard.
>>
>>7873023
t. American who's burnt out his taste-buds after years of dr.pepper and flamin-hot cheetos.
>>
File: lulwot.jpg (18 KB, 599x596) Image search: [Google]
lulwot.jpg
18 KB, 599x596
>>7872249
I used to eat it but I can't any more because every time I do I falafel.
>>
File: 0578.jpg (213 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
0578.jpg
213 KB, 1600x1200
>>7873067
I'm not ..the cuisine is forgettable, so why not make it something they remember and make it stand out in the customers mind as a memorable experience?

Fire and cheese is memorable bro.
throw a twist in there make a onion volcano or something but light something on fire and they remember that for a while. This is what i do for restaurants, I give them fresh ideas to turn the tide of a unmemorable cuisine and pave the road to a successful future. Bro' turning around a failing cuisine is a daunting challenge under the best of circumstances but i'm willing to take on the challenge. I can save greece. WE can save greece together. We'll channel our inner food network star and use a lot of texting to rescue this desperate cuisine from complete collapse.
>>
>>7872358
They put fries in gyros in Greece you dingus.
>>
>>7872464
Where the hell are you that they don't have greek seafood restaurants? There are 3 within walking distance by me in NYC.
>>7872928
Yea right, go to Turkey, looks similar to greek food, shits all sloppy, cheap ingredients, cheap oil, cheap sauces and chili added. It's almost the same except it's spiced hot to make up for flavor. I don't know, maybe I'm just use to the Greek version of food.
>>7872971
What? Yea they do light the pan up in the kitchen, sometimes they even do it at the table.
>>7872498
Kokoretsi is good on a horizontal spit, gets all crispy.
>>
OP, Greek food is the fucking bomb. Do it, and make sure to do it right.
>>
File: Fat_hairy_guy.jpg (30 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
Fat_hairy_guy.jpg
30 KB, 435x571
>>7872249
I got banned for hating greek food once, but honestly

>throwing your national cheese in brine then lighting it on fire
>boiling greens you found in your backyard
>adding pine pitch to your wine

fucking brits go to greece for the food, that should speak volumes
>>
File: greek cakes.jpg (335 KB, 1196x797) Image search: [Google]
greek cakes.jpg
335 KB, 1196x797
I love Greek food in general, but especially their cakes and pastries. I'm lucky that I'm a skinny fuck, so when I'm in Greece on vacation I can just consume these like crazy.
They are sweet as fuck, drenched in syrup, and just pure filth, but by the Greek gods are they delicious.

Pic related. Can any Greek speaker here tell me if there's a general term for these cakes or cake shops? Because they've got a huge variety.
>>
>>7875318
siropiasta,,look it up
>>
>>7875948
>siropiasta
Thanks my man, fuck I miss these things.
>>
Vanila pita is the bomb and easy to make. I love it with a cup of ice cold nesscafe
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.