[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Searing meat, >left is Blumenthal >right is Keller Who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: searing.png (194 KB, 471x289) Image search: [Google]
searing.png
194 KB, 471x289
Searing meat,
>left is Blumenthal
>right is Keller

Who is right? Should the oil smoke or not?
>>
Keller.

Jewmenthal is a hack with some stupid tricks and a trustfund, nothing he says is correct unless you are in his exact situation
>>
>>7870406
thanks, thought so
>>
I am no professional cook, but isn't the left talking about searing whislt the right is talking about sautéing?
>>
>>7870426
Sauteing is frying something quickly in a hot oil or fat.
>>
>>7870433
Right. But sautéing implies that the food is cut into smaller pieces, and is done to actually cook the food. Whislt searing is only to brown the surface of the food.
>>
>>7870398
Keller
>>
>>7870433
Which is different from searing
>>
Seeing as how Keller is talking about sauteeing and not searing, I'd go with Blumenthal by default.
>>
File: sear.png (764 KB, 737x700) Image search: [Google]
sear.png
764 KB, 737x700
>>7870439
>>7870451
>>7870459
OP here, maybe I shouldn't have cropped the page. He's definitely talking about searing and I don't think he refers to sauteing as being specific to cooking smaller pieces.
>>
>>7870473
Post Blumenthal's whole page as well.
>>
>>7870473
First of all, in cooking there isn't usually a clear cut if "right" or "wrong" if at all. Since cooking is outcome based, and the preferences for outcomes can vary, different and sometimes contradicting methods will be advocated. These can all be equally valid.

Second, the Keller quote seems to be referring to sauteing as previously pointed out. Saute translates to jumping because generally during a saute you're constantly and quickly moving the contents which implies that they are smaller pieces whereas a sear is used to create a caramelized crust on something that usually just sits without being moved except to sear a different part.
>>
Blumenthal is pretty much on the mark here. Chemistry explains why adding oil to an already-heated pan is preferable for a few reasons:

1. The oil 'cracks' on contact with the hot metal and forms alkenes which counter van der Waals' forces in the hot metal of the pan
2. This also forms minute amounts of graphite which acts as a lubricant at high temperatures, preventing the meat from sticking to the pan once added
3. When the pan is heated, microscopic fissures form on the surface which causes meat to get stuck and heat unevenly. When oil is added to the hot pan, these fissures are sealed with the small amounts of graphite produced and the meat essentially floats in the oil above the pan instead of sticking to it.

Of course this is only necessary if you're searing meat, browning veggies or something similar. If you aren't trying to caramelize/sear/brown/whatever... or if you're cooking something that doesn't need added fat such as bacon or a confit duck leg, then don't bother preheating the pan.

So yeah, the oil will probably smoke if added to a sufficiently hot pan. I usually turn on some fans and open windows before I sear meat in a pan at home.
>>
They're not in disagreement. Keller is saying "if oil is hot enough to smoke, it will start to degrade and potentially ignite", and Blumenthal is saying "get your pan so hot the oil is starting to smoke".

It's like if someone was giving advice about pulling a sweet ass handbrake turn, and they told you "pulling your handbrake in a high speed turn will cause wear to your tires", but also "to pull a sweet ass handbrake turn, pull your handbrake."
>>
>>7870551
Everything that you just said has 0 basis in the realms of reality.
>>
>>7870398
>>7870406
>>7870418
Samefag.
>>
>>7870398
>Should the oil smoke or not?

At first, yes. The oil smoking is a sign that the pan is very hot. It's a signal to the cook that the pan is as hot as it should get. Seeing that first wisp of smoke is telling you that it's time to put the steak in the pan.

Once the steak is cooking the oil should not be smoking.
>>
Smoking oils mean denatured oils and that creates aldehydes and they are proven carcinogens and are also teratogenic
>>
>>7871586

They also taste like shit. carbonized protein=good taste. carbonized long chain polymer=tastes like burnt plastic, because it is.

Bloominstupidglasses BTFO yet again
>>
>>7871586
>>7871639

Yep. but the tiny little bit of smoking used as a signal to tell you that the pan is hot is neither hot enough nor long enough to cause appreciable degradation of the oil.

Also, the moment that the steak goes into the pan the temperature will instantly drop below the smoke point.

So long as the oil is not smoking long-term (during the whole cooking process) it's not a concern. A tiny wisp of smoke for 2 seconds before the meat goes in is not comparable to literally burning the oil for several minutes of cooking time.
>>
>>7870398
They're talking about different things. pan temp vs oil heat.

Keller is right though. you don't actually want burnt oil.

and

Blum is right in that you don't want a pan too cold, and to make absolutely sure touch the smoke point.

Keller's advice is higher level though, as you need to know the smoke points of the various oils you're cooking with.
You should practice being able to get a pretty good feel of temp just by sheen and viscosity. I know that if it smokes I fucked up.

>>7871655
I disagree, if you look for the taste you can catch it. It is appreciable.

>>7871586
aldehydes are some of the most volatile compounds known to man they will not last but microseconds before reacting into something else. The thought that they'll survive high temperature cooking is laughable.
despite this, avoiding the smoke point and avoiding eating degraded oils is paramount for good health and good cooking.
>>
Do Blumenthal, but don't put oil on the pan, just coat your steak in oil.

If you don't start a grease fire when you accidentally try and sear the side of the cut with the fat, it's not hot enough. If you can breathe while searing, it's not hot enough.
>>
>>7870398
>>7870551
>adding oil to an already-heated pan
I did this one time and almost caught my house on fire. The pan was smoking hot and when I added the oil it engulfed into flames. How hot is the pan supposed to be?
>>
>>7872769
I like a bright red glow for mine. but others who incinerate meat imo prefer an orange white liquid state.
>>
File: David and Mick.jpg (150 KB, 735x973) Image search: [Google]
David and Mick.jpg
150 KB, 735x973
>>7872745
This is the best answer, pretty much what I was going to type, but luckily this brocook did it first.
>>
>>7870500
One of the only replies here with a reasonable and thoughtful answer. Heston is giving advice for home cooks who do not have access to kitchen grade high btu stoves and equipment. When you're searing meat you're actually after that bit of charred taste that smoking oil gives you. Keller isn't wrong either, but most of his books are written from the kitchen point of view, not specifically for the home cook. OP confirmed for autism.
>>
>>7871539
That's a cool opinion you have on reality. Mind posting your reasons why he is wrong instead if making a baseless accusation?
>>
>>7871586
Especially them polyunsaturateds, mmmmm delicious acrolein
>>
>>7872952
In this case, Keller is specifically talking about home cooks
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.