[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many is enough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: DSC01333 .jpg (473 KB, 1534x1162) Image search: [Google]
DSC01333 .jpg
473 KB, 1534x1162
Knife and knives

I have at least 2 blades for any application. And I feel it's not enough.

Do I need to get into expensive knives now?

Next cheapass cutlery I'm buying is a few long and wide adana skewers, because really: those little sticks I have aren't good for much. They fit in a pan is all they got going.

Looking to get a tamarind end grain block.

Considering a ceramic rod. Sounds snazzy. Any advantages over chrome steel?
>>
>>7869587
I'm not sure I can help you out but maybe I can give you an idea. I'm considering buying pic related tomorrow ( taking advantage of Amazon Primedays if the item is on sale ) and I'd like to think those knives would be good enough for just messing around the home kitchen.
>>
File: bokercolorcutred.jpg (138 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
bokercolorcutred.jpg
138 KB, 2500x2500
>>7870484
Wrong pic; that is what I intend to cook for my next meal- Not.

This is the pic I meant to share
>>
>>7870487
ok so i like quality over quantity for knives; id suest ettin one nice one over tat set - watever size/sape cefs knife first, ten parin knife, ten cleaver 9not as nice as your oters, tis is a smaser0

in my opinion, a 2-3 piece set lie tat is more fun tan ops ella complete but not so nice set

main tin is sarpenin - rods n carbide tools for your coarser knives, stones/diamond for nicer jobs, ave bot
>>
>>7870904
This man appears to be having a stroke.
>>
>>7869587
sadly all your cheap knives look like crap.. wouldn't buy any of them ....
>>
>2 blades for everything

Incredibly retarded idea for a home cook. The only thing you need two of would be butcher knives to mince meat by hand easily. But even then you can use mezzaluna.
>>
1x gyuto
1x santoku
1x water stone
1x bread knife that I never use
1x kitchen shears
>>
>he proudly displays his knife collection, all of which was purchased at a goodwill outlet
>>
>>7869587
How hard do your coworkers roll their eyes when you pull out your stupid 50lb bag of unnecessary trash? I'm assuming you actually have job which in my experience with people like you, rarely have.
>>
1 paring
1 chef's
1 serrated/bread

Anything else is a waste of money, except a good filet if you do fish often.
>>
File: chc.jpg (155 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
chc.jpg
155 KB, 1500x1500
>>7869587
Only blade you ever need is the chinese cleaver.
>>
>>7869587
>>
That set is disgusting, they all look like shit knives, you would be better off with just a regular chef knife and maybe a paring knife.
You dont need an expensive one either, you can get a Victorinox for like 40 bucks maybe cheaper, buy a honer and a stone and your set over that lug of useless bullshit knives.
>>
>>7871187
I used to want that exact blade but it's like $200. Instead I got a simpler cleaver from an asian superstore for about $30 and never looked back. I still want to get something higher end though - most likely the Richmond cleaver from CKTG.
>>
>>7871202
Tendon slicing, whittling, bone sawing, limb chopping, fighting off Redskins, utensils for guests when OP is fucking some redneck guy who is used to using serrated knifes to cut his rare steaks
>>
File: 1407019786704.jpg (663 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1407019786704.jpg
663 KB, 1920x1080
>>7870484
Also, I would eat dog (or cat) - just throwing that out there. Especially wolf and big cat. Save the pelts. Bones for soup,, teeth for knife handles or something awesome, maybe a necklace. Anything left over for bait.
>>
>>7871063
This, though you can get by with one well made knife. Could maybe add a cleaver in if you chop through bone a lot.
>>
>>7871231
Expensive Chinese cleavers are a rip off and real Chinese don't give a shit or even keep theirs particularly sharp. It's more about the weight on it.
>>
>>7871550
>It's more about the weight on it.

Confirmed for not knowing much about chinese cleavers.

They do make heavy versions for chopping bones and such, but just like a western cleaver, that's a relative rarity and isn't used much outside of butcher shops.

The standard chinese cleaver has a very thin blade and is used for slicing soft foods. It is not much heavier than a western chef's knife, and it cuts by sharpness, not swinging it like a damn axe.
>>
>>7871556
OK I lived there with my wife's family but I guess this anon knows everything already
>>
>>7871609

Just because your wife's family used a kitchen axe doesn't mean that's typical or correct.

Go watch Martin Yan, Chen Kenichi, etc, and pay careful attention.
>>
>>7871556
Also they're flat to press down on, Chinese don't swing it around like that unless actually cutting meat. Fuck your stupid cooking shows, every kitchen I went in had like one cooking knife and usually it was dull, because it truly does not matter to the cooking style.
>>
>>7871631

So you're saying we should learn to cook Chinese food by learning from unskilled peasants rather than expert chefs?

>>truly does not matter to the cooking style.
Lol. Chinese food is famous for fancy garnishes. Stir-fries contain many finely sliced vegetables. How do you propose to do that with a dull knife?
>>
>>7871642
Holy shit visit China and eat at some real places. You're talking about like top 1% not real Chinese that people eat.
>>
>>7871681
>You're talking about like top 1% not real Chinese that people eat.

Indeed. Like I said, if you want to learn about it, why not learn from the best instead of some scrub?

It's no different for other cuisines. If I want to learn French I'm going to read/watch Jacques Pepin.
>>
>>7871684
Because I'm cooking to feed my family not run a Michelin star restaurant? I think we have very different cooking priorities.
>>
>>7871852
>>cooking to feed
>doesnt matter if its any good
>hurrdurr michelin star ayy lmao
Seriously, why not just drink Soylent at this point?
Do the best you can with the resources you have, you pleeb.
>>
I have one medium-small knife and it works for everything.
>>
>>7870904
what happened to your H key?
>>
>>7871852
>Because I'm cooking to feed my family
Same here.

>>different priorities
I don't think so. I don't buy crazy expensive rare ingredients, make dozen-course dinners, or other fancy schmancy stuff. But I would like to know the proper way to hold and use a knife. How to cut vegetables most efficiently. The proper technique for doing a stir-fry or a French saute. Those things are just as useful for the home cook as they are for a fancypants chef.
>>
>>7871891
Yeah you don't need a $200 knife to make great tasting Chinese. You need literally the cheapest Chinese knife you can find. Stir fry cuts aren't paper-thin dude, that's literally the easiest shit to make in Chinese cooking.

Which is my point, it's a waste of money to spend a ton on a Chinese knife because it doesn't need to be that sharp to prepare the vast majority of dishes. We use a $30 one and a pull-through sharpener which prepares everything to satisfaction, because a decent edge and the weight of the knife work best. If I wanted to make fine cuts I'd use a smaller, sharper knife.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 450x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 450x461
>>7871684
>Television and books is how I cook
Stop arguing with yourself
>>
>>7870904
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhahahahahhahaha
>I thought this nigga was speaking in french
>Hahahahhhhhnnnnngggggggg
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.