[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a spice/herb/ingredient that you zealously use in all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 14
Is there a spice/herb/ingredient that you zealously use in all of your meals? Which is it?

Pic related for me
>>
File: 15692_XXX_v1.jpg (197 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
15692_XXX_v1.jpg
197 KB, 2000x2000
Not all of my meals but at least half. I love this stuff. Any meat or vegetable is great with it.
>>
File: SaltShaker.jpg (26 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
SaltShaker.jpg
26 KB, 500x441
>>
I use a lot of caraway, dill, parsley, various paprikas, onions/leeks and various animal fats like lard, chicken grease, bacon grease and butter.
I go through about 500g or so of paprika each year.
>>
I find myself putting nutmeg on the weirdest shit and it works so fucking well
Like it all started when I was making some north african shit and I thought it was tumeric and put it all over some potatoes. Tasted cash. Tried it with roast carrots: cash. Braised cabbage: cash. Basically any vegetable: fucking cash.
>>
>>7865369
We eat this in México
>>
>>7865382
We also eat this in France. So awesome
>>
>We eat this in México
>>7865386
i think he try to force a new meme...

I see this sentence here on /ck/ I a lot of threads...
>>
>>7865386
In México we call it "la pantalones blanca"
>>
>>7865393
gotcha and won't respond when I see it any more thanks
>>
>>7865400
Not after Labor Day, I hope.
>>
>>7865403
/fa/ detected! but on a serious note, I just like garlic. A lot. On everything.
>>
>>7865365
fresh grated one is great but a such powerful colourant... even the blades and cutting boards I use are yellow now
>>
File: 1423780425817.gif (483 KB, 243x270) Image search: [Google]
1423780425817.gif
483 KB, 243x270
>>7865365
I take tumeric every day in pill form because it is supposed to help with my back pain.

Doesn't do shit but I still take it anyways.
>>
I use Saffaron. Here in UAE or anywhere in the middle east, Saffaron is cheap. I love putting Saffaron on rice. Also I made my own spices, into 1. I mixed a few spices. Saffaron gives it a good color and taste.
>>
>>7865365

About the only thing I use in most of my cooking is freshly ground tellicherry black pepper.

I cook so many different ethnenticities of food that there isn't much crossover between ingredients.

Fresh ground turmeric is awesome, OP. I just started being able to get the roots from a local market about 2 years ago. It's so much better than the ground stuff that it's not even funny. I use it when I'm cooking Indian or Thai food, but otherwise not so much.
>>
File: season-all.jpg (28 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
season-all.jpg
28 KB, 380x380
I demand this on my food. Last time mommy put something else on I held her face onto the burners.
>>
>>7865430
Maybe it's different in UAE, but for Egypt, Algeria and Lebanon, it seems safflower is often labeled as saffron and no one seems to really care.
I don't like real saffron myself and greatly prefer safflower, but I've family who do like the stuff and on a trip to Egypt (not technically ME, but still the Arab World, so close enough) a few years back, I was determined to pick some up for people.
I was surprised at how difficult it was to find the real stuff, even in supposedly upmarket stores. But then, Cairo still has dirt "streets" with donkeys and shit wandering about, so I don't know what I expected.
>>
>>7865441
>ethnenticities
>>
>>7865429
I use MSG too but usually just a pinch between my thumb and index finger. Healthier and tastier than just >>7865369 alone.

>>7865365
Wherever I can sneak it in, I use turmeric. The most sensational spice in health circles.

>>7865367
Sounds shit. I bet it features herbs that are shit tier in dried form.

>>7865380
I often include a little bit with any cinnamon meal.

>>7865407
An Indian I spoke to said the dried powder is just as good. I've seen whole in the shops, is it really worth it?
>>7865441
You've sold it to me. So you just buy the root then chop some and grind it for your jar?

>>7865430
I've got this but I'm afraid to use it. I guess boiled rice would make a good test.

>>7865451
Shit.
>>
>>7865430
>>7865460
maybe spend a little less time looking for spices and a little more time encouraging your governments to actually fight terrorism rather than depending on the US to do everything for you.

I hope trump gets in so we stop protecting you fucks.
>>
>>7865441
How does the tellicherry compare to the regular black pepper?
>>
Well, grated orange penis isn't one of them.
>>
>>7865469
Why would you think that I'm an Arab? Because I've been to Lebanon, Algeria and Egypt? You know that tourism exists, right? You know that's a thing, yeah? You do, don't you?
>>
>>7865483
If you have been to any of those places, then you should be under surveillance. There is literally no reason to travel to those places unless you are a terrorist and/or supporting a terrorist funding business
>>
>>7865365
Foodwishes has made me put cayenne pepper in a lot of things lately.

You just can't go wrong with it.
>>
>>7865468
>Wherever I can sneak it in, I use turmeric. The most sensational spice in health circles.
tumerics health benefits are bullshit but go ahead and use it for a spice.
>>
>>7865486
you have to be 18 to post on 4chan, anon.
>>
>>7865494
nice strawman, akmed.
>>
>>7865495
>>7865486
>>7865469

Yet again, /pol/ fucks a thread up where there was no reason to. Why don't you go back to your containment board/hug box where you belong?

On topic, I tend to use Herbs de Provence on nearly everything.
>>
>>7865468
>So you just buy the root then chop some and grind it for your jar?

I buy the roots and keep them in my freezer. Then when I want some I grab a root and either grate it fresh, or just toss it in the food processor or blender if I'm making a curry paste.

Turmeric loses its flavor rapidly once it's ground up. So the idea is to grind it fresh when you need it.
>>
>>7865483
USA loudmouths over foreign policy usually don't know shit about the places they have an opinion over. Otherwise he would know that terrorism is a bigger priority there than it is in the West. Muslims have killed something like 100 Americans since 2001, that's absolutely nothing compared to what terrorism does over there. And for that reason the USA often prefers not to give full cooperation to weaker intelligence agencies, nevermind actually betraying its allies who are in power over there (and who are often incompetent or dissenting on issues like this).

Trump is the most pathetic phenomenon, a politician who feeds primarily off the weakest portion of society, those who (despite having the best, dominating genetics and culture - WASP males) are being left behind in the tertiary-educated, cosmopolitan, technological world of the 21st century.
>>
>>7865492
Maybe turmeric specifically, but spices in general seem amazing nutritional value per calorie.
>>
>>7865470

It's still black pepper, it's just one of the most highly prized versions of it. It's more aromatic and the flavor is a bit stronger than normal black pepper.

Interestingly, a lot of premium spices (that included) are cheaper than supermarket stuff when you shop from a dedicated spice merchant. I buy a 1-lb bag at a time. The cost per unit weight is lower than the normal pre-ground shit at my local supermarket.
>>
Garlic powder
>>
>>7865521

>nutritional value

That's a funny way to say

>unverified herbal remedies and crockpot wives tales
>>
>>7865563
But maximising your plant food intake agrees with all the science.
>>
>>7865365
>>7865520
Americunt here. Well said. Any way, back on topic: zealously for every meal? fresh ground pepper. And crushed red pepper, garlic & basil as I regularly make pasta dishes for dinner (quick & easy for a single guy).
>>
File: bay-leaves-california-organic-1.jpg (182 KB, 800x607) Image search: [Google]
bay-leaves-california-organic-1.jpg
182 KB, 800x607
I tend to overuse bay leafs. Not even only in every single stew or soup I make, but I also put that stuff in marinades.
>>
>>7865551
>Garlic powder
never understand the need of garlic and onion powder when you can have the fresh stuff around the Year in every supermarket...
>>
>>7865581
Completely different flavour dried v fresh, kinda like how paprika doesn't taste of bell peppers and dried tomato, even if reconstituted, won't taste like its fresh counterpart.
>>
>>7865563

Herbs and spices have by far the highest antioxidant ratio per weight of anything you can eat and virtually all of them have been scientifically proven to have a wide range of health promoting compounds.
>>
>>7865591
sure... but fresh garlic is 100% more tasteful
>>
>>7865611

>antioxidant

Pure distilled memejuice. Utterly meaningless.
>>
>>7865611
A lot of those studies are bullshit.
>>
>>7865627

Even if you're dumb enough to actually believe that, there are still a wide range of health promoting effects from herbs and spices. Turmeric and garlic are both potent anti-carcinogens, basil has been shown to protect cell structures from radiation and oxygen-based damage, clinical trials have shown ginger to have significant anti-inflammatory effects, etc etc. You can pick nearly any herb or spice and find a list like this.

Not sure why you're angry at the thought of spices being healthy.
>>
>>7865639

Yeah man, the oregano lobby is huge. They fund all kinds of biased studies.
>>
>>7865621
You might say one is tastier than the other to your preferences, but in nowise are the two interchangeable. There is nothing stopping you from using both fresh onion and onion powder in a given dish and, in fact, many recipes that utilise onion powder or dried minced onion do call for both dry and fresh.
Similarly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a recipe for lecsó that doesn't use both fresh bell pepper and dried paprika because lecsó, by simple virtue of being lecsó, is made with both.

Again, dried garlic != fresh garlic, the two do not taste alike and they're used in different manners to create different flavours.
>>
>>7865365
cinnamon
i fucking love cinnamon
>>
File: 0006843738975_A.jpg (23 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
0006843738975_A.jpg
23 KB, 380x380
>>7865655

The "anti-oxidant" movement is nothing but another buzzword that all kinds of companies scramble to get so they can slap it on their labels. It has no more meaning than "All Natural". Then fat diebetic fucks buy chocolate coated fruit flavored jellies because it says "a good source of anti-oxidants!" on the bag.
>>
>>7865726
>what is co-opting?
>>
>>7865657

This. Garlic powder permeates the food more then fresh mince. It creates a more even flavor. It also does not taste much like fresh garlic. I find its useful in reducing the need for salt as well.
>>
>>7865651
>basil has been shown to protect cell structures from radiation and oxygen-based damage

so why don't they make radiation suits out of basil leaves?
>>
>>7865726
>Then fat diebetic fucks buy chocolate coated fruit flavored jellies because it says "a good source of anti-oxidants!" on the bag.

but those are acai blueberries. my diabetes is a completely separate issue and it's not worth the risk to my health to stop eating those.
>>
>>7865842
>It also does not taste much like fresh garlic. I find its useful in reducing the need for salt as well.

That might be because so many garlic powders include salt, especially if it says "garlic salt".
>>
>>7865979
>>7865842
Ever had fresh garlic powder? I know it sounds like a contradiction in terms, but hear me out.

Find dried minced garlic or dried garlic bits or dry some yourself, yeah? Then powder it.
That's what I mean by "fresh garlic powder." It's like garlic powder × 50. Garlic powder on steroids. The garlic powder to end all garlic powders.

I got the idea from watching a friend of mine making chutney. She used dried ginger chips, which she then powdered, and fresh ginger both (because 'they don't taste the same and bring different things to the chutney'). I asked her why she powders ginger chips herself instead of buying powdered ginger and she said something that makes a lot of sense: the flavour compounds in spices are very volatile so powdering them and exposing more surface area to air will result in loss of flavour much more quickly than were they kept whole.
Using a chip of dried ginger she gave me, I powdered it at home and compared it with the ready-powdered ginger I had on hand already. Huge fucking difference!
And since ginger chips are cheaper by weight than ready-powdered, I haven't looked back.
I've applied the same idea to garlic, as mentioned, as well as to onion and turmeric (which I have to dry myself because I've never seen chips of the stuff sold anywhere).
Give it a go.
>>
File: cardamom.jpg (24 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
cardamom.jpg
24 KB, 460x460
>>7865365
I've used dried herbs for such a long time, and they're just easier to store in the pantry. Lately, I've been using fresh herbs and OMG it makes everything so much better.

Other than that, I love mixing my own garam masala, toasting then grinding that and throwing that into anything with a savoury base.

Decorticated cardamom is also god-tier.
>>
Cayenne pepper because I like capsaicin.
>>
File: smokedpaprikacan.jpg (42 KB, 392x480) Image search: [Google]
smokedpaprikacan.jpg
42 KB, 392x480
anytime I make chili or mexican food I'll throw this in, or even just beans and wieners
>>
recently ive been putting a little pile of chopped curly parsley on everything.
>>
>>7866039
got a big thing of mccormick cardamom recently. used like, 1/10 tsp and havent touched it in months.

wtf do i do with cardamom. shit has the most intoxicating smell
>>
After salt and pepper, cumin is my most used spice.
>>
>>7867561
It's great for some sweet pastries, oddly enough. I threw it into a blueberry pie and that was interesting.

I use it in dry rub a lot, or whenever I cook anything Indian.
>>
>>7867582
this burger place near me had blueberry cardamom milkshakes for a while
>>
>>7865469
You sound like an angry old man. What are you doing on 4chan?
>>
I put salt on everything
>>
I really like cumin. I don't put in everything, but I overuse it a lot.
>>
>>7865468
>I often include a little bit with any cinnamon meal.
OP, what in fuck is a cinnamon meal?
>>
>>7867667
It's just /pol/ leaking from its containment board again
>>
>>7865970
Underrated post
>>
Ketchup on everything.
>>
Is it a bad idea to use a pinch of MSG instead of salt for boiling water?
>>
M I N T
I
N
T
>>
I really like using sage as of late. I never hear anyone mention it in recipes or on here and I don't know why. Its got great flavor.
>>
File: cayenne_pepper.jpg (28 KB, 640x424) Image search: [Google]
cayenne_pepper.jpg
28 KB, 640x424
I put a little shaka shaka of this in my recipes.
>>
>>7869283
This.

Paprika goes good on most everything too
>>
File: 54765433.png (82 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
54765433.png
82 KB, 300x300
>>7865365
Coriander
>>
>>7865365
mustard
>>
>>7869271
Sage certainly int for everything, but sage & gnocchi, or sage & Italian assuage & orecchiette is God-tier. Might make that for dins tonight.
>>
>>7869427
Is that coriander seeds or actual dried cilantro?
>>
>>7869449

It's the seeds.
>>
>>7865365
One or Multiple of these:
Garlic
Steak Sauce
Soy Sauce
Mustard

...btw the best steak sauce ive had besides A1 is this cheap 99 cent stuff at Walmart with a black and blue label on it (Price First generic brand?). For the cost it is the best.
>>
>>7865365
Salt, pepper, garlic
>>
>>7869449
ground
>>
>>7865367
So as I sometimes do when I look through these threads I decided to go get some of this and try making a burger with it. It was maybe the best burger I've ever had. I mean it was cooked perfectly and there were some good ingredients so it wasn't just the spice but it definitely contributed. Nice recommendation.
>>
>>7867561
throw onions + chicken thighs in a pan and let them simmer with cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, and tumeric. its my go-to meal lately its so good
>>
I use a lot of parsley. Plays well with all meats.
>>
>>7865421
cute
>>
File: cloves.jpg (200 KB, 724x483) Image search: [Google]
cloves.jpg
200 KB, 724x483
>>
>>7871175
god tier in milk tea
>>
>>7871175
One of the best meals I've had while my wife was away featured these. Put a handful of them in a bowl, combined them with some Tom Collins mix and then topped it off with a frozen pie crust. Tasted great!
>>
>>7869283

Chef John plz go
>>
>>7865365
What's the root thing behind the ash-tray of sulfur?
>>
File: cilantro_i.png (216 KB, 390x335) Image search: [Google]
cilantro_i.png
216 KB, 390x335
i can justify putting cilantro on just about anything
>>
>>7871560

Turmeric. It's a root. You get the powder after grinding it.
>>
Cayenne and I did it before it was cool.

Also not a herb but lemon zest/juice wherever I can get away with it. And finally when a recipe calls for garlic I always put 1 or 2 cloves more than needed, most of the time unless it totally fucks up the flavor.
>>
Most of my fallback meals have a basis of onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes (pieces, paste or peeled and from a can), salt, pepper, paprika, chili, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil.
Frequently used spices that are in rotation depending on the meal I'm making are cumin, coriander, ras el hanout, curry powder, ginger, dill and nutmeg.

I've been using cumin more and more, and it's slowly finding its place in the starting lineup.
>>
>>7872345
>ras el hanout
Is that the badguy from batman?
>>
>>7872455
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_el_hanout
It's the good guy from North African cuisine.
>>
Big fat penis because I'm OP
>>
>>7872455
Not, but similar etymology.
'Ras el hanout' means something like 'the top/best/head that the store has' and refers to a mix of the best spices a place sells.
'Ras al-Ghul' means "head/leader of the demons." 'Ras' can mean top, best, head and leader, among other things.
>>
File: 1369490011111.jpg (74 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1369490011111.jpg
74 KB, 500x385
>>7871466

I can confirm this.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.