[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on carbs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 680x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 680x365
How much should the average person eat per day? Are they healthy? The Japanese eat a lot and they all seem to relatively healthy.
>>
If you're not an athlete and/or building muscle, your macros don't matter. Just eat good starches with fiber and micronutrients.
>>
>>7864304
If I'm trying to build muscle, carb intake should be really low?
>>
>>7864312
no. carb intake should only be low if you're trying to lean out
>>
>>7864312
Oh god no, you need plenty of carbs.
>>
>>7864291
don't eat simple carbs, eat complex carbs and the rest doesn't matter.
>>
>>7864312
try getting your carbs from starchy vegetables instead of bread and pasta, if you want to be meme health conscious

some people react well to cutting out grains, for other people it doesn't matter

just learn to listen to your body and experiment
>>
>>7864312
>I'm trying to build muscle
>Guess I should eat almost nothing from an entire macronutrient group!

Where the fuck do people get these ideas, aside from trolls on /fit/?
>>
>0.35-45g of fat per lb bodyweight
>0.7-1g of protein per lb of BW
>rest carbs
Work out to 350+ carbs for me on average.
>>
>>7864404
Was honestly just asking. The American education system sucks at teaching us this stuff and the things I see on fit pretty much seem like they don't eat carbs at all aside from brown rice.
>>
>>7864295
Announcing sage isn't allowed
>>
>>7864295
autism
>>
>>7864412
What kinda carbs you eatin' breh?
>>
>>7864291
Carbs should be at least 60% of energy for most people, higher for active and very active people

In terms of body weight, this >>7864412 is good answer for many people, though protein can be slightly lower for sedentary individuals (0.5 g/lb). Most people should consume 6-8g carbs per kg of body weight (2.5-3.5g per lb), up to 10 for extremely active people.

And yes, carbs are very healthy, you should have carbs for every meal and carbs should be the center of the meal, never a side dish. The side dish or garnish can be an animal product, providing less than 10-20% of calories total in a day.
Sugar is fine especially for people who exercise, and sugar is preferable over refined fat (examples: sweetened ketchup over mayo, sweet/sour over oil, zero-fat candy over chocolate or cookies)

>>7864428
The low-carb dogma has become incredibly powerful in the last decade due to concerted efforts by meat and dairy industry to confuse people about the negative health effects of dietary fat and animal products. Oil/margarine industry also plays a role, though smaller. Since widespread adoption of healthy low-fat diets with very limited animal products would spell total disaster for these giant industries, promoting pseudoscience is one of their top business priorities, sometimes even listed as their #1 priority.
>>
>>7864569
Thanks a lot for this anon :-)
>>
>>7864569
But wait...I thought high fat diets being bad for one's health was a myth? Doesn't the Mediterranean diet focus pretty much half of its nutrition on eating fats? What's the truth here?
>>
File: fat history.png (102 KB, 1212x843) Image search: [Google]
fat history.png
102 KB, 1212x843
>>7864852
It just depends on what we're talking about here. The modern diet of Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal is very high in fat. The people there are fat and diabetic too - 60% overweight, 20% obese, 20% of children obese. Greece is actually the fattest country in Europe and yes, they use a ton of oil and animal products nowadays and they are not healthy at all.

If you go back to the data we have from the 50s, you have Portugal at 64% carbs, 25% fat and Italy at 67% carbs, 21% fat.

We have data from Greece and other Southern European countries only from later points, and the situation is very complex because of major discrepancies between rural and urban populations, different age groups, different regions etc. It's a cliche at this point but the "Mediterranean diet" simply does not exist as anything other than a marketing tool for the olive oil industry. The traditional Mediterranean diet, insofar as it even exists, is much lower in fat, protein and animal products than the diet people are eating there today.

Check out these studies for details, the first demonstrates that the traditional Greek diet is low-moderate fat and that Greeks have become fatter and unhealthier as they've upped their fat intake. The second study also confirms that the "Mediterranean diet" has become very Westernized and much higher in fat over the decades, and most people there have pretty terrible diets today, with Egyptians doing OK (limited animal products, lots of legumes like chickpeas, hummus, peas, carbs like bread, rice, bulgur, etc.)

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n9/full/1601393a.html
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n10/full/1601413a.html

High fat diets are still unhealthy as they've always been, though animal/saturated fats are much worse than plant fats. Many plant fat sources are around 15-20% of fat as saturated fat, so when restricting saturated fat to 5-7%, the upper limit is 25-35% fat (assuming no animal fats at all, not realistic for most people)
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.