[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is/was dinner like for your family?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 17
File: 11Frugal_CA0-articleLarge.jpg (108 KB, 600x363) Image search: [Google]
11Frugal_CA0-articleLarge.jpg
108 KB, 600x363
What is/was dinner like for your family?
>>
>Vietnamese
>everyone is served a bowl of rice
>some meat dish in the middle of dinner
>some type of vegetable dish in middle
>a soup in the middle

Don't talk, just eat.
>>
>mixed-ethnicity family of six
>father often away on business
>household help eats with us
>everyone has a role in helping to prepare dinner, even three-year-old me and wheelchair-bound brother
>we eat, chat and be happy
Then wheelchair bro died and everything changed.
>>
>>7863733
Sorry anon :(
>>
>>7863733
Well shit, sorry to hear that.
>>
>>7863644
With your mouth closed I hope.
>>
>American
>mom gets home from work and cooks dinner
>drunk dad gets home from work and calls her a stupid piece of shit
>awkwardly eat in silence and return to my bedroom until he locks himself in his bedroom and she falls asleep on the living room couch
>>
> family of three, be only child
> dad is a hoarder so dining table is completely covered
> everyone eats at different times
> I eat in bedroom

Feels bad man. I wish I could have a normal family meal but my folks don't give a shit. :(
>>
>6:00
>Everyone comes in for dinner, mum has it ready
>usually a German style meal
>Eat food, supper lasts for an hour or so.
>go back outside to work
>>
>Father away at work or just out fucking around
>Me and brothers would make a meal out of whatever was in the kitchen
>Usually eating at separate times
>Maybe 3 times a month actually eat a meal together as a family

Now I feel awkward when I eat out with people. Eating with others doesn't feel natural.
>>
>sporadic for me at least because i work late shifts
>when i am around its me+mom and twin brother, dad is usually out getting shittered and sending passive-aggressive texts to various family members
>couple times a month get together for a family dinner with cousins
varies from enjoyable to extremely uncomfortable
>>
>mom or dad would cook some boring american meal M-F
>shit like spaghetti, seasoning packet tacos, meatloaf, or eggs
>we would all eat together while I raged at my brother for eating with his mouth open and having a popping jaw
>weekends my parents would spend a lot more time cooking, usually some nice recipe my mom would find in a magazine.
>who roast chicken on Sunday at least twice a month
>>
Mum gets home from work, cooks dinner, sets table, puts food on the table, everyone gets their plate of and goes and sits on the couch in front of the TV , mum sits at the dining table alone.
>>
I feel really privileged to have such a great family. The posts in here are depressing. :-(
>>
My mom's in a insanity ward and my dad's a morphine addict. I grew up eating dinner in front of a computer.

I've never experienced a genuine family dinner in my life.
>>
<eat tv style family dinners when I was a little kid
>we all realize we don't like each other
>eat alone in our rooms
>>
>me + two brothers + mum
>mum would cook for us and we'd eat at the table, while she was elsewhere
>eventually we ended up just eating in the lounge while watching tv

Kinda wished i had the traditional smiling happy family dinners around the table desu. If I ever have kids that's what I intend to do
>>
>American
>dad leaves when I was 10
>mom goes out every night to get drunk with her friends
>most meals are shit like hot dogs or tacos or whatever that my lithuanian housekeeper made
>reach 6th grade and start feeding myself
>hot pockets and ramen and world of warcraft mixed with crippling depression and an unstable 7 year long divorce made me fat as shit
>>
>>7864322
alternatively:
>once a week or so when mom was home for dinner before she went out
>awkward sit-down with sister and mom and housekeeper
>all i wanted to do was read my calvin and hobbes books while eating quickly so i can go escape upstairs
>get yelled at for reading at the table
>rebelled by feeding the dog under the table and training him to beg like a motherfucker
>>
I feel like "traditional" family dinners only happen in movies and tv. and that we devalue our lives because we never get that. I've had a few family dinners where we were all together. But mostly my father was too drunk to eat and beat us with a golf club.
>>
> mum was an amazing cook, surprised us every day. We seldom ate outside.
>My dad were not really employed nor busy when i was a kid so we always had breakfast and dinner together.
>Mum would tell me what she would make and I would be fascinated watching her running around in the kitchen grabbing spices and chopping cabbages
>I'd tell her to take out the carrots or put more ground beef to it and she would
>I help preparing the table so my dad and brother would show up later to chow down and mum always yell at them for only showing up for food without helping any
>Dad dies when i was 17 after having this kind of ordinary dinner
>mum stops yelling ever since
>I grow up and leave her
>Mfw
>>
hamburger helper
'fried rice' scrambled eggs, white rice, frozen vegetables and underseasoned chicken with soysauce
spaghetti noodles with ground beef in jarred tomato sauce
those knorr pasta + sauce from a box

proud to say I don't cook like that but fuck I was fed trash growing up
>>
File: 1467965297832.jpg (12 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
1467965297832.jpg
12 KB, 242x208
>>7864344
Jesus that turned dark real quick...
>>
>>7864309
What the fuck, man, go sit with your mom.
>>
>early childhood
>older sister was allergic to EVERYTHING
>could have rice, some pasta, fish, poultry, pork and lamb
>no beef, no milk or cheese, no wheat, no soy
>usual meals were Spaghetti and tomato sauce, no meatballs unless they were made of turkey burger, meatloaf made of turkey burger, lamb burgers on the grill in the summer if we could afford it and fishsticks and french fries with coleslaw

As my sister got older, she outgrew some of those allergies so meals became a little more diverse. I didn't get to eat my first PB&J sandwich until mid-grade school as both my sister and dad were highly allergic to peanuts and my mom was worried about having it in the house.
>>
File: catsfish1.jpg (58 KB, 700x463) Image search: [Google]
catsfish1.jpg
58 KB, 700x463
> I start prep on dinner after school/work
> My mom comes home after work and finishes
> My bro and I set the table
> We talk, eat, and have coffee for awhile
> My dad and I do the dishes
> Go back to doing our own things

Looking back at it, I really like this ritual, it’s comforting
>>
>>7864384
Oh yeah, forgot my sister couldn't have eggs either. Made baking very difficult for mom. Since my sister couldn't have wheat, she had to bake her own bread.
>>
>>7864142
You a farmer or something?
>>
>>7863545
>Always sat in same seats
>Always prayed before eating
>Food was ok, sometimes pretty good sometimes bland and cheap but better than most of the other houses I visited
>Conversation was always the same
>How was your day
>Fine
>What did you learn in school
>nothing interesting
>etc
>Parents always forced me to put more food on my plate than I wanted
>I wasnt allowed to leave the table till my plate was clean

I was fat from 8-16 when my sister left for college and my parents got laze so we stopped doing the normal routine. Go figure, all I had to do to lose 40 lbs in a few months was eat when I was hungry and stop when full. My parents still claim "Thats just how puberty decided to change your body"
>>
>>7864385
It's nice. I was the Vietnamese poster. I'd love to have something like yours if I have a family. It sounds way less strict and more fun.
>>
>>7864384
>be allergic to peanuts
>reproduce

should be illegal
>>
>dinner ready by the time dad is home from work
>9 out of 10 times everyone eats together
>tv was on and could be seen from the dining room
>still talked, it was more of just background noise
>lot of rice dishes, lot of pasta, lot of chicken
>salad served with it every time
>ate outside sometimes when it was warmer

Thinking back, mom though she was a better cook than she actually was, didn't use salt properly

>>7864314
Sorry to hear that anon
>>
they were a bunch of stupid niggers who can't cook
>>
>pre middle school have traditional dinner
>ranging from american food to vietnamese food due to mom
>hit middle school dad works out of state
>just mom, brother, and i
>end up just hitting in room playing WoW
>up to now
>dad comes back to work in state
>brother moves out
>just eat alone in my room for every meal

Nothing changed really. Except maybe now I usually sit in Mumble with friends now.
>>
>>7863545

when was little, until teens, family always ate together at table. mom cooked every day, always a big meal out of whatever we had available. sometimes it was just hotdogs and fried potatoes, but damn, it was good hotdogs and fried potatoes. except rice. mom didn't know what to do with rice except just cook it plain. i'd stick a piece of ice in the middle of mine because it was always too hot. it got to the point where rice didn't taste right if there wasn't a hunk of ice in it.
>>
Us all teasing each other and my sister and I making each other shoot milk put or noses.
Work stories, being responisible etc.
>>
Dinners with my family used to be normal, then my dad decided "lets have bland baked chicken and canned vegetables. I just make my own food now.
>>
>>7864430

this. who gets allergic to peanuts... seriously
>>
>American
>Dad comes to the table 20 minutes late because he was busy playing video games
>Immediately takes his plate to the family room to watch TV while he eats.
>Leaves TV on and goes back to the basement to play more video games while sister and I help mom clean up.
>>
>eat food alone all life
>mother never around, work then straight to partying
>some years grandma was around to visit from home country
>she'd make really cheap food with whatever we had
>we sat together and always ate together when she was around
>everything was delicious
>she dies while I was in high school
>food never taste the same ever since
>>
>father used to make us eat together
>20 minutes of awkward silence
>learn to eat quickly so I can escape
>father gets kicked out
>stop eating with the rest of my family
Now I eat alone
>>
>>7863644
This. Now I can never talk during dinner with friends.
>>
>>7864703
That's odd man, I don't talk with family, but I'm able to socialize and talk with friends during dinner.
>>
We had a rule where we had to talk about our day. It sucked, my stepmum was always looking for a fight.
>>
>>7864707
I can talk before the food comes or between courses or whatever, but it feels too weird to talk between bites.
>>
File: furious.jpg (11 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
furious.jpg
11 KB, 526x526
>Dad is a fat worthless part time wage slave
>I work full time
>Mother works full time
>He insists he has to cook
>He is a shitty, shitty cook
>Knows about 6 recipes
>None of them good
>Has a shelf of cook books
>Never reads them for ideas or tips
>Only reads when he is shitting
>Tried leaving some cookbooks in the toilet
>he told me not to do it, told me that if he wanted to think about food whilst shitting he'd let my mother cook and sit on the toilet thinking about how it was a mistake to eat that food
>is completely unwilling to learn new recipes
>mother enables him completely
>she knows even fucking less about cooking than him
>I am working all day and 'dinner' is always done when I get home so no chance to cook for myself

It is ruining my life desu. I intentionally ate some raw chicken to make myself sick and get some time off work so I could cook for myself. My dad was home the entire time and insisted I eat his homemade tomato soup to make myself feel better. His homemade tomato soup was just a tin of chopped tomatos poured into a 1/4 full tub of butter and boiled in the microwave, sprinkled with brown sugar. Also got some bread for dipping.
>>
>>7863545
argue-y
>>
>leather
>tasteless boiled vegetables
>sour cream
I grew up thinking that I hated nearly every food I tried.
Turns out I just hated that culinary disaster.

also
>dinner for family
schizo mother picks a different person to never speak to again every other day
>aunt treats her son, and to a lesser extent. everyone else, like absolute shit for no apparent reason
>somehow everyone else seems to tolerate her
>grandfather was a great guy, but he had some anger issues
>his son isn't at the table because he was either in prison, in jail, in the hospital, or excommincated from the family 90% of the time
>pretty much 90% of the time he got mad, I understood exactly why
>he confides in me all the time that every single other member of his family is a huge disappointment, and that he despises all of them
N-no day is complete without doors slamming, porcelain shattering and parents/grandparents shouting.
>>
>>7864016
Good god man...Your dad was the living embodiment of the american dream!
>>
>>7864756
Speak up, cuck.
>>
>dad usually cooks
>it's usually really good stuff but sometime easy meals like tacos or hot dogs or whatever
>we all eat together every night
>tv is usually on tuned to the news or something
>we don't talk much

was pretty good to be honest. Parents are divorced now though.
>>
>>7863545
Putting food in fast enough so hatred won't spill out.
>>
My family dinners are rushed and uncomfortable but the food is really really good. We don't have a designated place to eat so we sit in the living room with the plates on trays or in out lap. I think it would be better if we had a table and we could enjoy our time together but my spouse uses it for a huge computer work station. He eats at his "desk".
>>
File: 1458841676482.jpg (42 KB, 437x501) Image search: [Google]
1458841676482.jpg
42 KB, 437x501
Non-existent.
>>
File: 1451941867738.jpg (54 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1451941867738.jpg
54 KB, 600x800
>be kid come home to grandparents house after school
>gram grams cooks dinner exactly at 5:30 every night since they were old fags and went to sleep at 9
On the weekend my mom was a based cook and would make shit like thick curry or chili verde
>>
>>7863545
Indian family
Mom prepares dinner
All dine together
have fun and talk about tomorrow plans
>>
>Dad cooks everything
>serve yourselves from the kitchen
>Dad goes and watches TV in the TV room while he eats
>Mom complains about nobody eating at the table with her while eating the food that she had no part in making
>>
>>7863747
>>7863974
Thanks. It's weird how one person can make or break a group or even a family, isn't it?

My brother has a daughter of his own now. I don't have kids because I'm super gay.

He, his wife and my niece do things the way we grew up doing them, with everyone involved in meal prep, so it's nice to see the tradition continue. Wheelchair bro would be pleased, I think.
>>
>>7864032
I know a girl like that, she turned out alright. Just do you best to get out of the house.
>>
>>7864385
My dinners are similar. I'm moving out soon and really going to miss it.
>>
>>7865511

My family never "talked". Ever. Not over a cup of coffee or anything. Everybody zombied out infront of the TV. One time the electricity in our neighborhood went out and my dad and me went on an adventure to find out where the fucking candles were in the house, then we sat in the living room and talked about life and politics and stuff. It was so nice and surreal and then immediately after the power came back on he went back to the TV and I went back to the computer and we never spoke again.

Living alone hasn't really changed a single thing for me.
>>
>>7863733
Right in the feels.
>>
>Mexican
>Eat in the kitchen island
>Mexican or any kind of dish
>Always a pack of tortillas in the middle
>Dad puts a movie on Netflix
>>
>12:30
>moms come and shake me in my bed until I wake
>I'm a bouncer who works till 4 am
>dad is a silent type and is already at table waiting me
>so is my sister
>we all eat
>dad asks about work, talk about crime
>I ask about his work too
>we finish, he leaves and lay on the couch and ask me to wake him at 1:30
>mom do the dishes and I take sis to school
>wake dad and he leaves to work

Every weekday is like this. The only thing I can complain is the monotony of eating rice and beans every fucking time because rice is low protein and beans makes me fart like an old truck
>>
>>7863545

it was amazing. started cooking myself at 7 years inspired by me mom.

>German family
>that means usually only 1 warm dish per day
>mom cooks anything from trad German & Austrian food to Mediterranean to Indian and later on SEAsian cuisine
>parents often work a lot, so I cook for them every now and then
>dad can also cook pretty decently
>conversations always good because both parents are well-read & informed

can't believe they are getting old now. they've always been so young physically & mentally, but it's starting to change. oh well.
>>
>>7866012
>cooking yourself this long
Slow cooking's nice and all, but eleven years is a bit much. You should be ready to eat by now.
>>
>German family of seven
>dinner is usually bread, cold cuts, cheese, spreads, some vegetables, and leftovers from hot lunch
>on weekends, when my dad is home, he makes some easy warm meal in addition to that
>for example sausage, home fries, frozen spring rolls or a simple noodle soup
>there's up to ten people at the table (visitors)
>everyone talks a lot and is having a good time

>sometimes, on weekdays, when my father was having a bad day because he was waiting for results from his cancer screening, he would find a reason to scream at one of us and dinner would become silent and end quickly.

But other than that, it was/is always pretty good. My older brother moved out some time ago and then I did, but we all occasionally find our ways back home.
>>
File: 1391719149716.jpg (17 KB, 212x249) Image search: [Google]
1391719149716.jpg
17 KB, 212x249
>this thread
>>
>hate being the center of attention more than anything
>annoying grandma assaults me with questions
>try eating
>keep getting question-raped
>goes on for whole dinner
>autism eventually flares up and get visibly buttblasted
>"don't get mad"

At least the food is usually pretty good.
>>
>>7866157
Is your dad better now? Cancer makes people lash out understandably.
>>
drunk arguing
>>
>>7864309
This would always happen to me but instead of eating in the living room we would all be sat down at the table and have all our food eaten by the time my mom sat down because she was always busy doing other stuff and was the last one to the table.
>>
>>7866525
He seems more relaxed nowadays, but I don't get the full picture because I don't live there anymore. He originally got cancer more than twelve years ago I think, and it gets better with time. Nothing has come up in the following examinations so things are looking good.

My dad is part of the baby boomer generation and both his parents suffered in the war. I guess that's why he's never been good at managing emotional trouble or talking about his feelings. But he's a great guy overall and I really enjoy having dinner with him and the family or just talking with him nowadays.
>>
> basically a nuclear family (4)
> whenever dad wasn't working we always had a sit down meal
> on weekends that meant all 3 meals sometimes
> mom was from country family that cooked with what they had, very resourceful and made just about anything taste good
> dad was used to cooking on his own because his parents were assholes
> mom cooked 85% of the meals, wouldn't make the same dish twice in less than 2 weeks
> ranged from casseroles to pasta to all kinds of dishes
> dad served in navy, and was on German army bases as a kid
> when he is able he cooks SOS in the mornings and then shnitzel with gravy and spetzel
> when we had sit down dinners it was ok, typical how was school, I'm working on this now
> when dad had night shifts mom would make more causal meals, sometimes ordered pizza, and we would watch TV or a movie together
> this went on until the middle of high school for me
> they started trying to eat paleo
> suddenly 80% of meals were shit
> glad I went to college so I could enjoy good food again
>>
>>7866574
>he cooks SOS
Shit on a shingle?
>shnitzel with gravy and spetzel
*Schnitzel
*Spätzle/Spaetzle
>>
>>7866635
He always said sauce on shingle but Its the same thing. probably because of how young we were. I loved that shit so much.
Thanks for spell check, I knew it was wrong but I was on mobile.

He made other German dishes and it was always good.
He made a fuckton of brötchen at some point and I havent had better bread since.
>>
>mom wont stop talking empty words
>dad wont stop eating fast to disappear as fast as he could
>sister left home as fast as she could
>i dotn know what happened to me

and here i am in 4chan. today i live and eat by myself and cant stand company.
>>
cant remember the last time I ate with my family. Or was cooked for by them.
No one gives a damn
>>
>>7864016
>>7864032
>>7864309
>>7864314
>>7864316
>>7864321
>>7864322
>>7864344
>>7864528
>>7864544
>>7864996

Do you guys think that 4chan has a higher attraction rate for people with fucked up childhoods, or are these experiences really that common?
>>
>Cook prepares dinner on trays etc
>Wait upstairs with brothers and play Video games
>Cook finishes dinner
>We go downstairs and take a tray of starters then play more games
>Parents come home
>Maid's finish cleaning the house and prepare Dad's cloths for tomorrow
>We all eat together with parents and cook
>>
>>7868192
Asian?
>>
Up until I was probably 16 or 17, my parents always made a point to have dinner at the table. I don't really remember what the environment was like, but I do remember my dad always had this stupid ass rule about my brother and I putting our feet on the supporting legs of the table. Looking back, that was the dumbest shit ever. I think he just didn't let us do it because he knew we wouldn't say shit back to him about it.

As I got older, my mom got busier with work so she couldn't cook meals at home as often, much to my father's dismay. Can't really remember what the transition out of one situation to the next was like, but now whenever I go over and visit we generally eat in front of the TV. It's nice though, we eat and talk about whatever's on.
>>
>>7864474
At least they were two niggers and not just one. Could have been worse.
>>
>mom makes shitty meal because she can't cook for shit, 3 servings or 4 if my sister is here
>I eat alone, either in the living room or my room
>mom waits for my dad to come back at 10~11pm and eats with him

The only half-decent meals I remember were on christmas even but the food wasn't homemade. I sincerely had a better diet as a fucking student even though I had never cooked before.
>>
>>7864322
>made me fat

Fuck you.
>>
>>7868118
>Does the place that regularly laughs at people with legitimate disorders and posts the most disturbing shit attracts people with fucked up childhoods
Gee, I don't know anon
>inb4 4chan isn't just /b/
Please, /b/ is edgelord teen central but all boards are certainly not as tame as anywhere else on the internet
>>
>>7864402

Yes. Dutch family in Canada.
>>
>>7868229
I'd eat at the table again and put my feet against the supporting legs of the table to spite your dad.
>>
>>7864421
Your parents sound fucking stupid I am sorry.
>>
We used to come together and just sit around the table. Meat, potatoes and veggies and you'd just fill your plate.
The man of the house would most of the time get the extra piece of meat that's left over.

But then we became lazy and everyone would just eat in their room (with ym parents just on the counch watching tv)
And then my mom died and my dad is shit so that continued but the food also became shit.

Nowadays my boyfriend is my family so now when we're at my place we do it like the old times, just sit at the table and fill your plate. At my boyfriend's we're on the couch, sometimes watching tv, because he doesn't have a table (student room).
>>
Quiet and awkward, usually. I like to eat alone most of the time.
>>
>>7863545
Growing up, dinner was all of us sitting at the table together in dining area off the den. Occasionally the tv would be on, like if the news was on, or some movie that we started watching before dinner was ready, but usually not. That was when it was just the four of us (parents, myself, and my brother). If any other family members were there, or on holidays and special occasions, we used the formal dining room. Regardless of which room we were eating in, we always had a fully set table, including tablecloth, place mats, full place settings, the right glasses, and usually some kind of centerpiece or candles. Mom was a professional chef before she had kids, and once we were born, she taught culinary classes and vocational homemaking classes, so everything having to do with food, cooking, and kitchen was done properly. She ran the kitchen like a pro kitchen too, and you were only allowed to take orders from her in there. She did teach me how to cook, though, and instilled a love of trying and cooking new foods, so I'll always be grateful for that.
>>
>>7863545
When I was younger, my dad would make dinner while she was at work and we'd just eat watching TV. I'm 20 now but still live with parents (yeah I know), but we moved and live with in a bigger house and we all eat together more. My brother and I cook on the weekdays, mom cooks on the weekends. On the weekends we usually eat dinner at the table, but on the weekdays it fluctuates between the table and the living room where we eat watching TV.
>>
Before parents' divorce

>Mom never cooked, dad cooked occasionally for no good reason
>Ate whatever I wanted, normally some kind of microwaved shit or a sandwich or something
>Left alone to fuck off, no one ate together, it was awesome
>Ate out, ate out, ate out, ate out, always

After divorce: Mom

>Whatever I want, whenever I want, used to eat shrimp and king crab legs and ribs - but all microwaved or pre-cooked
>Loved microwaved egg sandwiches
>Still didn't eat with mom, awesome

Dad's after getting divorced:

>Eggs microwaved in a cup
>Whatever I asked for at Costco, every day, for every meal until I finished the package
>Kid Cuisine until I was 12
>All of the fast food, until suddenly one night some important "nutritional" meal with veggies and shit (loved veggies, nbd), then back
>Never ate with dad

After they got remarried:

>Suddenly have all of the income, dinner is out every single night somewhere nice
>Make your own food or go to McDonalds, shit

I was so happy. Fuck being forced to sit at a table. I didn't even really like food until I grew up. Everyone just fed themselves whenever.
>>
>6:00pm
>Family of five.
>Mom cooks.
>Majority of meals were mashed potatoes with gravy or butter, some kind of beef, and some other vegetable, often peas and carrots sometimes sauerkraut.
>Used to eat around kitchen table, but then we started eating in front of the TV about the time we got satellite which I think was 2000.
>Mom still ate a kitchen table while reading a newspaper.
>>
>>7869724
You sound horrible.
>>
>sometimes mom would cook
>sometimes it would be tv dinners
>everybody would get their food and eat while watching TV together in the living room
>I suspect this is the basis for all our communication issues

I don't plan on having kids (or probably even a long term relationship, for that matter). But if I did, we would eat around a table, in a room with no TV, and make some goddamn conversation.
>>
>>7869724
>everything was shit but I liked it that way
>now everything is great but I hate it

Man, go fuck yourself with a rake, for real.
>>
in our family the food was important, being together to eat it was not. someone would make the food, and we'd all disappear into different rooms usually and eat.
>>
>>7869846
>Nobody has anything interest to say
>Tensions build because of annoying habits pissing everyone off with nothing to break it like a TV in the background
>B-but muh rituals

If you have to set aside time for conversation then you have nothing worth saying.
>>
>I cook something up
>Or mum cooks something up, depends on the day
>We serve it, eat it, then I make tea
>Sometimes sister drops by, she never eats the full portion though, always leaves half of the food on the plate (though that's mostly our fault since we give her the same portions as ours and she's really short and thin compared to us)
>If dad is home that night he warms the leftovers up and eats around midnight. He always says nice things about my cooking though.
Family dinners aren't something I'm familiar with, other than holiday dinners at my uncle's place in the countryside.
>Shitload of food, I guess this is what Americans experience on Thanksgiving
>Drinking vodka/moonshine/infusions with my cousins
>A few times per hour a neighbor/family friend comes by, and that means another round of liquor
>tfw you're a slav
>>
File: 1433717435640.gif (2 MB, 245x244) Image search: [Google]
1433717435640.gif
2 MB, 245x244
>grab food
>take it and eat in front of the computer in the other room
>only meal together was sunday lunch
>no one spoke just watched the tv

such is life in a cold, emotionally retarded family were noone talked to each other. honestly i kinda liked it since i'm not a "touchy feely lets all talk about our day and share our emotions kinda guy"
>>
Young:
>Mother cooks and does so quite well
>Always family dinner: parents, me, two younger brothers
>Lots of conversations about poo, sex, that kind of stuff
>I like the food, but my middle brother would prefer salami buns.
>I sometimes go into an autismal rage over the noises my little brother makes while eating

Growing up:
>Mother still cooks and family dinners are the norm, except when brothers or I have some training or music lessons to attend to in the evening at different times.
>Still lots of conversations about poo, sex and the like
>Parents usually a bit drunk, mother always loud, father sometimes irritable
>We all go sit on the couch after finishing our plate, me usually first because I don't talk when I'm eating

My parents divorced just when my middle brother and I were moving out, so I eat with them only when I visit them every now and again.

With mother after divorce
>Great food, more vegetables then there used to be because I like them better than my father and my brothers do
>She usually has some cheeses left for me to indulge in before dinner
>Lots of conversations about poo and sex etcetera
>We drink some tea and talk about life before I leave to stay at my dad's house

With father after divorce
>He's poor as fuck, but he tries his best when cooking for me (though I have to give him some money for there to be food on the table)
>Sometimes my brothers and their girlfriends are there too, which always is a blast and makes my father really happy
>If there are enough people, there are lots of conversations about sex and poo and whatever
>If there is just the two of us, he tries to initiate conversation but I have difficulty talking while eating and we are both assburgers so it's a bit awkward

Filthy conversation during dinner is a proud family tradition that goes back generations. For example, my grandmother, upon seeing beetroot, has to talk about menstruation.
>>
>>7863545
Everyone got around the table to eat at five. I just tried to eat as fast as I could so I could get away from those assholes.
>>
>taco muncher
>both me and my mom come home from work
>mom cooks food for the family
>I take my food and it eat in my room
>everyone eats where they want

I imagine it's awkward to eat with the family. We all get along too.
>>
>>7863545
Chinese/Filipino
>long, sullen silences
>rice with everything
>mum can't into anything cooked low and slow - rubbery oxtail soup, rubbery chicken soup, etc
>bistek, steamed fish (pomfret, tilapia) was breddy gud though, and her ngoh hiang was second to none
>used to do this weird 'pork chop' that was less than a centimetre thick, fried in butter, and bone dry, but I have a soft spot for those flavours/textures as a result
>canned fruit in syrup for dessert, because lol90s

Back when we were little they'd do the whole "can't leave the table till you clear your plate" thing, which generally turned into extra long, extra silent, extra sullen meals.
>>
>>7869300
Do you live in Saskatchewan?
>>
>>7870081
You guys are either Slavic or Swedish.
>>
My family was basically the happy version of the Amerifat cliche: Housewife mom, successful dad and four chubby, spoiled kids. Dinner was pretty much the highlight of the day, after which we'd sit around and watch TV.

>Mom always made too much food, because we were all "big eaters"
>table loaded with meat, veg and starch (usually potatoes) that we passed around "family style"
>pretty easy conversation because we all got along
>usually some laughs at other peoples' expense (including casual racism)
>we all lingered at the table for "seconds" before the salad
>salad was iceberg lettuce with ranch or blue cheese dressing
>in the summer we'd finish it off with ice cream while watching TV
>on the weekends the meat would be dad's work on the grill

Generally happy times, but the food wasn't very good or interesting - there was just a lot of it. Took me years to get skinny once I moved out. The rest of my family is still fat. I love them dearly, but just can't eat like that anymore.
>>
When I am at my parents house:

>My mother has not cooked since the early 2000s.
>Her husband is a idiot and everything he cooks we refuse to eat.
>Usually bring over stuff to make some Italian or avian recipies (Chicken Thai Curry is easy to make and they keep a lot of rice).
>Sometimes makes fudge or whatnot.

Holidays years ago:
>Grandma and grandpa cooked turkey or ham, as well as jello, mashed potatoes (instant), stuffing, cranberry, etc on christmas or thanksgiving.
>4th of July we usually went over to their house for burgers and steak, beans, chips, etc or to my uncles for much of the same.
>We usually went out to eat when someone had a birthday.

After my grandparents passed:
>Meet up usually for christmas and thanksgiving still, but we order almost everything pre-made from the local market and pick it up.
>Only thing we ever cook is a few choice things and dessert.

I honestly miss going over to my grandparents and getting together. It has not been the same since.
>>
>Mixed Heritage
>Only Child
>Parents talk through dinner about business, politics etc.
>I'm usually quiet
>Occasionally update them about school, friends etc.
>Food is either fucking amazing or borderline inedible thanks to Dad and his crazy African spices
>>
>>7870531
reading this made me really sad. my family used to have meals like that, but we stopped around the time i was in middle school because my siblings had moved out already and parents started working later.

when i have a family, i'm gonna make sure we have some good goddamn familiy meals.
>>
>mexican american catholic family
>rarely all fit at the table together
>small table desu, seats maybe 5
>mom and sister cooking
>first plate to grandma and old uncle
>then
>KIDS COME EAT
>kids get served small plate, we usually eat around the coffee table watching cartoons
>GO CALL THE GUYS INSIDE
>men come in and eat sitting at table in shifts if they have to
>women eating half in the kitchen, half after the guys at the table
>dad always acts like he hasn't eaten a good meal his whole life
>complimenting moms cooking. slaps my head if I don't, kissing her ass
>no one can get seconds till everyone eats at least once
>men go pass out or outside to drink
>kids have to clean kitchen after
>none of us do it right
>sister usually has to fix it after or mom bitches then dad bitches at us

Mom cooked her ass off. Sister too. Wished I'd paid more attention to her. Sister ended up being a better cook. Mom did it more as a chore, sister actually enjoyed it.
>>
>>7863545
Someone cooks dinner or we get take out

>Mom eats in front of the tv
>dad eats in front of his computer
>I eat in my room in front of my computer

Happy as a family eats until someone gets drunk and starts yelling about stupid shit that never happened.
>>
>>7863545
>Kids Cuisine and hotdogs on a paper towel, or McDoanlds if I'm in the mood for a toy.

Dad's side - Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the country with cold turkey and leftovers because we always got to dinner late.

Mom's side - Just Christmas dinners (mostly just sweets for me) at Aunts house on Christmas Eve.

Lived with mother entire life. Dinner was whatever her many boyfriends knew how to cook and whether or not she trusted them to feed me. Growing up she realized I could take care of myself and just bought pizzas and tendies. I ate in my room upstairs.
Now cooking is a very important thing to me since my parents never taught me shit and fed me out of legal responsibility instead of sincere love. I was making grilled cheeses on the stove, and handling that kind of responsibility sparked something in me to become a chef. I still remember what that grilled cheese looked like, and exactly how it tasted after 6-8 years ago. One of the best things I've ever had.
>>
File: 1454012113839.gif (1 MB, 331x1003) Image search: [Google]
1454012113839.gif
1 MB, 331x1003
>>7870952
>Dad would pick me up from school for weekend
>We spend like 20 minutes walking around video store
>Might stop by food place to get a few ingredients
>Come home in time to watch one movie
>By next movie we're eating barbecued meat or fish, and laughing
He was adopted and raised in Indonesia (family of like 5 or something) because of military dad, so food was a HUGE part of his early life. He's a social worker now that hates people and can't stand being in public if not drunk at a festival. We will probably never talk again after what he's done. He stopped cooking all together and ate entirely unhealthy, very high sodium contents, 30 packs of beer at least every two days, even after a heart attack and pancreatitis.

>Mother was youngest of 5
>Grandma learning to cook was ESSENTIAL
>Mom is a bastard
>Knows a few very, very handy tricks and tips
>Pulls knowledge out of her ass
>Bakes like a pastry chef when not drunk and picking fights with me
She spent the better half of my life pretending to be country because of all her boyfriends and where we live. But she clearly hasn't learned shit, not knowing shit about steaks or BBQ. Now she is dependent on medication to keep her anxiety and depression down and she has developed some personality disorder I'm convinced. She's on a stupid diet of beer and food-stamp shelf-snacks.

tl;dr Recap and reevaluation
Parents were doing great then fucked everything up. What I learned was not to make the same mistakes.
>>
New Zealand European family, lived in New Zealand. All 4 of us at the dinner table. Mon-thurs was mum cooking, fri-sun was dad. Dad made generic stuff like steak or sausages but had a killer rossoto that he used to make. Mum was a bit more adventurous made curry and other foods like that. Sometimes got takeaways from the Asian place down the road.
>>
>>7870081
dad sounds like a gent
YMCA daycare - our lunches and snacks? yeah, poo and shit, right there with you anal
>>
>>7863545
>dad dies at 16
>mom orders for lil bro
>we go out to eat every night
>stare at phones all night
>>
We ate dinner together somewhere between 4 and 7, depending on when my younger brother and my mother came home. Sometims my mom came home late and I ate leftovers with her later, dad joined in if he was hungry.
Nothing special and I always took it for granted, sucks to see how many stories of rather disfunctional families are here.
>>
>>7870238
Nope, Dutch

>>7871047
My dad's the most formidable man I've ever met. I'm biased, but people tend to agree.

One disadvantage of having filthy conversation around the dinner table is that it makes other people uncomfortable. Not everyone still likes their chili after talking about gaping, and I have difficulty recognizing when I've crossed the line.
Once at my middle brother's birthday, the whole family was back together and my youngest brother's new girlfriend (who was 14) joined us for dinner for the first time. The family (my mother first and foremost) spent half an hour talking about anal sex. The poor girl didn't speak a word. But she's used to it now.
>>
I ate at the table every night with bro, dad and stepmom. Diverse range and decent conversation, they'd turn the telly off if we zonked out too hard. Both of them are pretty good cooks.

Mum was an okay cook for a single mother with no budget. Mostly spaghetti and stuff that was easy to make in bulk. Never sat at the table.

I cant remember ever sitting down for a meal with my parents and my brother. My mum and dad and I had lunch a few months back, but i fucking hate seeing a happy full family eating together, even though my situation wasn't too far from it.
>>
everyone ate as fast as possible so they could go back to their rooms while mom filled silence with nonsense.
>>
>>7864756
don't speak up, move out or cook your own meals anyway

If you let your life be trash now it will stay that way. Cast off the yolk of relations
>>
>>7871257
Je verhalen klinken ontzettend Nederlands :p
>>
>>7870694
I did just that. When raising my boys I made sure dinner was the time the family (and any friends who happened to be hanging around at supper time) all sat down together for a meal in the evening. It was definitely part of the glue that kept us close. My boys grew up in as close a family as I did as a result.

But being a more organized cook than my wife the responsibility for pulling it off every night fell to me. And that meant dancing around the boys' becoming fussy for the decade when they had absolute shit taste. When the kids who grew up eating good food and going to good restaurants hit the age where they decide the ultimate meal is half a Domino's pepperoni pizza washed down with soda you have to deal with it, regardless of what your ideals about food happen to me.

It made me understand why my mother's cooking was so dull. Her goal was not to throw down amazing meals. It was to make something that everyone in the family would happily eat without complaint. Nothing dumbs down your cooking faster than having to feed hungry little people with bad taste every day.

It's worth doing, though. It does keep the family close. And your cooking will recover once the little shits are out of high school and have outgrown their disdain for identifiable bits of vegetable matter. But at least I had boys. Girls can be worse. My sister had girls, and did the family dinner thing every night. The one wouldn't eat onions, mushrooms or beans, the other couldn't handle spice or seafood. Raising those girls fucked up my sister's cooking way worse than raising my boys fucked up mine.
>>
>>7870237
Nah, Southern Ontario. I don't know any dairy farmers that aren't Dutch lol
>>
File: 1382608938863.jpg (465 KB, 1547x1334) Image search: [Google]
1382608938863.jpg
465 KB, 1547x1334
>>7863545
>Orphan
>no family meals d'uh
and thats the end of this story.

Used to eat in groups in the different orphanates I lived in. And some times we or I were invited to eat with the dominee/priest and their families/church groups. Which was nice, because it was a nice change, without all the crazy bitches I had to live with.
>>
Mom had a handful of staple dishes she could make pretty well using prepackaged ingredients and spices. Decent meatloaf, spaghetti, roast, pasta bakes, tacos, etc

Dad literally could grill meat or throw it on a baking sheet and put it in the oven until it was well done. Usually either with shake n bake or just salt and pepper, sometimes completely plain because he preferred everyone to season their own food later. If we were lucky he'd make some shells and cheese or throw a can of vegetables on the stove as well.

Could have been worse overall
>>
My mum isnt a very good cook, and always had some stupid new quirk, like low-carb, no fats, food combining, no meat, nothing pre-cooked, no salt, only stuff from the garden, etc etc. Nowadays, tap water is poison. So, eating out, McDonalds or buying food while at cinema or rennaissance fair, was out of the question.
So I had to take all that, and eating together really wasnt that much fun. Dad was a good cook, but he didnt have much time, and had to take my mum's quirks.
I loved eating with friends, with normal cuisine, and just plain, good cooking, like just noodles with sauce.
I am permanently damaged from this, since now I am buying and eating all the things I was forbidden at home. And now, my mum refuses to have dinner at my place, because 'she cant eat this, that, those...'
>>
>>7864756
Is your dad named Jack by any chance?
>>
If it was fast food, we would all just get our stuff and go eat at our computer stations (except dad, who would watch TV in the kitchen)

If it was something made at home, we would sit around and watch TV, while mom would ramble on about useless shit that was bugging her, while my dad and I pretended to listen.
>>
>>7871371
Kinda this. If you're old enough to work full time and realize how shitty your parents' eating habits are it's high fucking time you moved out on your own. Not only will you be happier, but your parents will be as well.
>>
Me mom and sister would sit at the table. If dad was home he would too but he was a firefighter and often worked nights. It was cool when he was there though.

I have my own senpai now and we always sit at the table.
>>
Never ate at the same time during the week since my mother got out of work at 2am and my father at 9pm. They pushed hard to go out on weekends since we barely see each other during the week days.

Sometimes I wish they were legalized earlier so they wouldn't have to work themselves to death.
>>
>mom, sister, and I
>mom works as a physical therapist; makes really good money but is always pretty busy and the job is physically demanding
>she and i cooked up a bunch of proteins, starches, and veggies on sundays
>put it all in glass containers in the fridge
>we were all always pretty busy and running on different schedules; during my last couple years of high school we were almost never all home around dinnertime
>average dinner was tossing some pasta in a bowl, slicing up some chicken, and tossing it all together w/ a bit of pesto and some roasted tomatoes

It worked pretty well in all honesty. The food was utilitarian, but tasty nonetheless.
>>
>>7871704
Make it worth it to them. They did it for you
>>
>everyone gets called out to the table
>father, mother, brother and I
>dont know who cooked
>just sit down there in silence eating what was on my plate because you had to eat everything given to you
>father starts complaining that no one is talking
>starts getting red angry
>we force talk
>he calms down
>we actually get into good conversation
>until
>someone says something that doesn't line up with how things go in his world
>cue massive fucking argument with a 40 year old man and his 10 year old child, 6 year old child and simple wife
>man is screaming at us like we murdered somebody
>we all go quiet again
>starts bellowing down walls
>demanding that we finish our arguments
>mother in tears
>I am dreaming of suicide
>brother just looking sad

This was every weekday ever since I capable of memory to about 12 years old.

Then we went to eating by ourselves and dad would come home at 9:00 and make a meal for everyone and be swearing down the house at 11:00 wondering why everybody already ate.

Then when I started going to the gym and getting ripped he started making food earlier for it to be ready by 7:00. I used to get home at 8:00-8:30 and would eat my portion. After this routine was established he stopped making enough for any to be left over for me and started saying if I didn't come home before food was ready then I wouldn't get any. Then I organized my routine to get home on time. Then he started making food earlier and earlier until I couldn't make it back on time so he stopped making for me again. I told him I would sort myself out and he flipped the fuck out stating that I was ungrateful and it was bad enough to the point where I stopped going to the gym. When he realized I quit the gym he just started making food at 9:00 onwards again.
>>
>still live at home
>family of four
>used to be five before older sister moved
>mother just makes whatever
>usually main serving of meat, starch and frozen vegetables
>usually watch tv while eating but still try to talk
>I'm usually called out of my room for dinner, I sit down, eat, finish what I'm eating, say thanks and go back to my room
>come back out 15 minutes later since it's my job to do the table and wash the dishes

It's alright I guess. Nothing special
>>
>>7868603
This post made me realize that my childhood was pretty fucked up, I guess since it was all I knew it felt normal.
>>
>>7863545
Usually pretty quiet until my stepfather goes on a racist tirade
>>
>mom leaves food in pot or pan she cooked it in
>we all grab plates and serve ourselves
>brother takes first bite and immediately says, "it's good mom" before he even gets a chance to taste it
>He also chews obnoxiously loud
>Silence for awhile
>My mom usually talks about her day
>We all ignore her
>Near the end of the meal my dad says, "it was good my love"
>We all finish at separate times and wash our plate out in the sink

It's like a science
>>
>>7871257
Welp
She is a keeper, I guess. Maybe she can handle those disgusting things because your brother already pulled everything out on her - piss, shit, and gaping. Now it's your turn to clean up. Sloppy seconds. Come back later with a webm.
>>
>>7863545
Mom and dad only make things of the "add water" variety, and the rest is fried meat. Fried pork chops, chicken, hamburgers. You can't get them to eat peppers or onions or mushrooms. The most vegetable they'll go are potatoes with butter and sour cream and cheese.
>>
>>7863545
My brother, dad and I all ate at the table while my mom sat in the front room and my sister sat in her room. We aren't as dysfunctional as we should be.
>>
>mom literally runs a food blog with millions of views on a large forum
>she photographs her elaborate meals before we can eat
>constantly experimenting with different cuisines and dishes

Lucky to have a mom like her.

blurred out the watermark since I don't want to reveal my identity, but meals like this were typical on Friday nights
>>
>>7872770
Delete this dude. I found your mom's blog in about 3 seconds.
>>
File: 041312072_nEO_IMG.jpg (74 KB, 700x529) Image search: [Google]
041312072_nEO_IMG.jpg
74 KB, 700x529
>>7872770

Good job
>>
>>7872770
http://blog.wenxuecity.com/myoverview/27022/

neat
>>
>>7872780

DELETE this please
>>
>>7871671
>I have my own senpai now and we always sit at the table
cute :3
>>
File: Shot-head-620x414-620x414.jpg (46 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
Shot-head-620x414-620x414.jpg
46 KB, 620x414
>>7872774
>>7872780
>>7872781
>>7872782

well.. guess that's that.
>>
>In France
>We eat at 8
>My mother cooks and puts the food on the table
>We usually eat a salad with vinaigrette
>Meat, vegetebles and bread
>Only drink water
>My father drinks red wine
>Watch the news or talk about the day
>Father sits at the best place
>We have to finish everything in pour plates if my brother and me want to leave the table
>We have cheese or yogurt
>My mother wash everything
>>
>>7863545
That scene in Braveheart when the king comes back to confront the prince and his boyfriend
>>
>>7872791
F
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 600x450
>>7872781
>http://blog.wenxuecity.com/myoverview/27022
>>
>>7871605
Jesus, you must not be in America, because we haven't had orphanages in America since the 60s.
>>
>>7872791
Your mom just got more page views, man. Not a biggie.
>>
>>7873079
He even gave you a hint as to what country (and therefore, the fact that he's likely an AIDS orphan or something) he's from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominee#Dominie.2C_Dominee.2C_Dom.2C_Don
>>
I found this thread very comfy!! I feel like I could relate to just about everyone
Early days:
>Mom made dinner
>dad was drunk, ate it or threw stuff against the wall if it had onions in it
>or dad wasn't home.
Living with mom
>mom has severe depression,
>I cook for brother, sister, step dad
>Tel dad calls me lazy while playing Zelda
Living with actual dad
> will make simple tasty recipes like "Italian chicken" chicken cooked in red wine vinegar salad dressing and boxed mashed potatoes
>or Jenos frozen pizzas
> we eat in the living room watching Sightings or Unsolved mysteries
>dad gets wasted and passes out, and brother and I hang out with neighbor kids and watch SNL or rented horror films
Teenage years, living with mom and her third husband
>we all take turns cooking dinner
>eat in separate rooms.
Now I have my own family
>I cook dinner probably 5 nights a week, spouse cooks two nights a week or one, and one we will go out or have Mac and Chee or frozen pizza or leftovers
>eat at the table, either listening to music or watching jeopardy, or whatever movie we have had on (that's mostly on weekends)
>4yo daughter refuses to eat most nights, but still will sit at the table and remind us to say excuse me if we burp or read.
>nomad family or friends will pop by, bring beer in exchange for home cooked meal.
>comment on how they can't remember the last time they ate at a table.
>just bought house in Oct.
>got passed down my grandmothers did nine table. Shit is super cash, has 6 chairs and 2 extension leaves
>We service a high level of action, and keep it super comfy at Chez Anons.
It's nice to eat at the table together. We like each other, so I think as long as we stick together and communicate and keep having fun times, hopefully we will continue to like each other until kids are surly teenagers.
>>
pretty boring except the fact when someone gets their fucking knife and bangs it against the plate. or crunching food in their teeth. i dont eat socially anymore. i have misophonia and it drives me insane being around people who make noise
>>
>>7865418
I'd imagine most conversations would be to do with what shitting streets they'll be using tomorrow.
>>
>German-Indian Family
>everyone is vegetarian
>i am allowed to cook non-veg or buy it from outside
>everyone eats together
>go to college
>make friends who also like to eat out everyday but always together.
>get a great job in a city where no close friend works
>sit in front of a computer while eating 5/7 nights every week
i might take a slight pay cut and move back to brooklyn as most of my friends are working in nyc. i can't live my life like this. Work is boring as it is.
>>
Awkward, suffocating shit. I've never had a lively dinner with my family growing up even though I've eaten with them countless times. Someone was always fucking angry, to the point no one knew what to talk about when they weren't. Try to start a conversation and if you're lucky, maybe you'll get a half-assed "hm" as a response.

Having a lively family dinner is one my dreams.
>>
My dad was about 50 when I was in middle school. Never played sports with him, too old for it. Came home off of bus at 4pm, dinner was done immediately unless it was the weekend. Talked about boring stuff. Then went to watch tv until he slept at 8pm. Then it was computer time until midnight or I went to sleep.
>>
Minnesota white family, we take each dish and start passing it around the table on big meals like Christmas or thanksgiving when my whole extended family is there, on regular meals everything is on the table and you just get it or ask someone to pass it over, my grandparents on my moms side are very religious, so we pray then, but the only time my immediate family prays is when my sister makes us
>>
>awkward conversation
>can't clink the plate or it makes my dad jump and he gets pissed off
>>
When I lived with mum and one of her two boyfriends
>Arguments over relationship things or whatever
>Had to sit at the table knowing full well it was bullshit and no one wanted to be there
>Had to do dishes with the other kids, we never spoke to each other
>Food was shite
>Shovelled it down, got snacks later

When I lived with dad
>He gets drunk immediately
>Either brings in something to my room or I smell something form my room and he's passed out
>Usually not much salvageable there, usually I'd make something else while he was down

When we have dinner with more of the family
>Everyone desperately trying to fill the air with something to say
>Food is boring but good
>We all shuffle out awkwardly and hope to christ we all die in car accidents on the way home

This is why you're not getting grandchildren mum you stupid fucking bitch.
>>
>>7863545

>family never had a dinner table
>we all sat on 2 couches with those sliding table mate tray tables and watched TV
>at 14 just started eating everything at my computer, don't even have a place to sit down with family anymore cause mom is a hoarder

Wouldn't change a thing. I hate eating around other people except restaurants.
>>
>>7874217
Oh shit, praying before a meal. I grew up with that nonsense. My parents still do it. Such archaic nonsense.
>>
>>7863733
Sorry man...
>>
Living with parents:
>Mom would usually cook, with me and dad helping out
>I was always on setting/clearing the table duty
>Have a nice chat, watch some TV, talk about our days

It's still about the same when I go back home occasionally.
>>
>>7873942
>German
>Vegetarian
That doesn't sound right.
>>
>>7874718
>German-Indian
he´s not actually german
>>
>>7863545
>UK
>Used to eat whatever my parent's could afford or had time to prepare. Usually crap food with a few decent dishes mixed in.
>My brothers were fussy so sometimes more than one meal had to be made each day, and only the Sunday "roast/barbeque in the summer" meal we usually would sit together and eat the same meal together.
>My parents pushed us all to learn to cook. I did cooking classes at school too as I took an interest in it.
>Now as adults we make more effort to eat together and prepare our meals, and eat fresher foods and less carby crap. (Though pasta and rice can be easy go-to's when shits going down and food needs to be prepped quick)
>Hard to manage with everyone working different shifts, but we usually get something sorted in the evening at least
>Talk about our day and compliment each other's cooking if we go out of our way to make something nice and different.

It's not too bad honestly. None of us are great cooks, but when we put our minds to a dish it can turn out pretty good. (I'll admit when I make a cool new dish I'll post pictures on my otherwise unused Facebook. Keeps the family happy)
I like to keep my dishes simple when it's my turn to cook. Plenty of roasted vegetables and some seasoned/marinaded meat.

Sometimes I bake something during the day, (I like to practice cooking new dishes and adapting older ones), as a little extra to thank my family for their support.
Today I made some fudge balls, but I've baked cakes, ginger bread cookies, made trifles and pancakes and cheesecakes and scones. Hell, I've even made micro-wave almond sponges in a pinch.
I really fancy making pastries though. Next time I get a big drive to cook I'll make those.

We also go out for meals together as a family now once a week. It's kind of a tradition now, and sometimes we encourage extended family to come too.
Meals are important to family cohesion. My parent's knew this (they came from large families of 4-6 kids), and I realise this now.
>>
My mom is a colossal diabetic who only knows how to mix potato, cheese, sugar and butter together with no flavoring but tablespoons of salt, I hate family dinners and avoid them whenever I can

Like she literally makes chicken soup so salty that it burns my tongue and gets offended and has a tantrum when nobody likes it but her, hypertension should finish her off any day now
>>
>>7874731
>Meals are important to family cohesion.
No shit. Most of what makes a family close goes down in the kitchen.
>>
American/Hispanic
>Grandma picks us up from school and has dinner ready at the house.
>Fixes us a plate of some arroz con pollo or some other kid friendly dishes arroz tapado, lasagna, pasta with pesto, asado con pure, pollo Milanesa, etc
>Eat in front of tv
>Mom gets home at 6
>Dad gets home at 7-8
>Get Chinese take out on weekends and watch a movie while eating

We only ate together on special occasions or when we go out for dinner. I still think eating in front of the tv, watching a good show or movie is the best thing ever.
>>
To add, I never learned how to cook until I went to college. Even now I want to learn her recipes but when I come home she always already has everything ready.
>>
My family and I mostly do breakfast together, lunch on rare ocassions and dinner is usually take out in front of TV or we all eat separate.
>>
>>7863733
>wheel chair bro used to carry out food to set on table
>he was always the funny one
>wheel chair bro dies
>no more, "Hey look guys! Meals on wheels!"
>dinner is never the same
>>
>>7863545
>mom finishes cooking dinner
>everyone must be at table within a few minutes or she starts getting angry
>must help set table or my father will think I'm an arrogant asshole who's too good for house chores
>mother is usually angry at my father for something, e.g. talking to his stepdaughter on the phone (or even worse: visiting her), visiting his mother/talking to her on the phone, enjoying his life in any way at all
>she glares at him or makes a face at him whenever he isn't looking, like a child
>refuses to talk to him or gives very short responses but talks very sweetly to me
>peels fruit for "everyone" after dinner
>if I decline, she won't at all
>if my father asks for some, she'll just put the unpeeled fruit with a knife in front of him
>don't want to lock eyes with my father to see the look on his face
>mother slams dishes as she washes them after dinner

Pretty much every day, even now. I'm 22.
>>
>>7875792
Why does your mom do all the cooking and dishes?
>>
>>7875792
I can deal with most stressful family situations but the dishes thing is one that gets me. It's like my ears are connected directly to my gut and every loud pop and clank builds a bigger and bigger pit of anxiety. Even if nothings wrong.
>feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>7875799
None of us can cook. We switch off on doing dishes.

>>7875805
Yeah, definitely don't want to look at my father when she's doing that.
>>
>>7875788
He was the funny one, true, and his job was to set the table, make and serve the after dinner coffees (the regular coffee for the adults as well as barley coffee for us kids) and clear up afterwards.
However, despite being quarter/half American (depending on how you look it it), we didn't speak English in the house, so no "meals on wheels" jokes were made.
Fast forward twenty years and I become a cripple myself. My mother must've spat on a gypsy or something and she cursed me and my brother in retaliation.

>>7874694
>>7865567
Thanks, Anons.
>>
>mom at the computer with a drink
>dad in his chair with a drink
>me eating by myself

ahh, childhood
>>
If no one is coming over, it's buffet style. Mom makes the meal and everyone goes into the kitchen on their own time, somewhere between 6 and 9, then makes a plate and eats alone.

If the relatives are coming over, we'll tell them to arrive at 3 and if we're lucky they'll get here at 5 and we'll eat at 6. We use to tell them to come at 5, like you would expect, but then they'd roll in around 8.
>>
>>7875845
What ethnicity are you? How did your brother become disabled?
>>
>upper middle class WASP family
>both parents were "foodies" long before the word even existed
>dad, stepmom and I usually ate home cooked meals together at the dining room table with the nice dishes and flatware at least three nights per week
>all of us pretty good cooks
>dinner usually served at 9
>everyone full-on drunk

Little brother and sister and sister are picky so usually don't join us. Sunday was sandwich night. Dad and stepmom go out on a date every Thursday. Pizza or chinese delivery once a week. Brunch at the country club after church on Sundays.
>>
>>7875866
Mixed, but mostly-to-entirely white, depending on what you consider white.
We mostly spoke German and Italian at home.

He was born with muscular dystrophy.
>>
>mom would come home from work
>brings home take out or fast food
>dad would come home, already ate dinner at work
>never would eat at table, tv always on

My dad is a chef so he never wanted to cook when he was home. Occasionally I would wake up and he made me breakfast and it was always good, but my mom always just bought pre made fast food because she was tired from work.

Whenever people tell me i'm lucky because my chef dad must make beautiful dinners, i die inside because i havent ever really had a sit down dinner with my family. Every time there was one I'd hide in my room because they would fight about petty bullshit.
>>
>>7875953
What sort of work did your mother do?
>>
>>7875957
Accountant. Worked like 50 hour weeks and has insomnia though.
Also half the time she would just eat a bowl of popcorn and tell my brother and I to cook for ourselves.
>>
File: 20160417_1338171111.jpg (4 MB, 2291x1551) Image search: [Google]
20160417_1338171111.jpg
4 MB, 2291x1551
>Mom is Iranian and Dad is white
>When we were kids Dad usually worked night shift so we didn't see him much
>When he was home, Mom made it a special occasion, cooking more time consuming food
>Otherwise my siblings and I would tuck in to a Persian meal while Mom asked us about our day. Pretty normal.

Although my childhood was strict, dinner was the highlight of my day because I knew there would be dank food waiting for me
>>
>>7875975
*my brother and me
>>
>>7864016
wow its like i'm a kid again
>>
>>7863545
>dad drunk and sitting in silence
>mom trying to converse
>she doesn't know how conversation works because her husband is a drunk
>resorts to just interrogating me about my day
>everything boiling lava hot to make us all sit at the table longer waiting for it to cool
>awkwardly sit in silence moving food around plate until its edible temp.
>eat as fast as possible
>ask to be excused from the table
>"wait until your father is finished"
>stare awkwardly at things on the table until dad gets up
>immediately ask to leave
>go into room and pretend everything is OK
>listen to music so I don't hear mom crying while she washes the dishes.
>>
THREAD MUSIC
https://youtu.be/PZfaSNoZ6L0
>>
>Often had late dinners. Waiting for dad to get home
>Dad drunk again
>Parents fight at dinner
>Dad throws plate at wall (not everytime, but often)
>"Sick of eating your shit food"
>Have to sit at table until all food is eaten
>Food is bland, cheap.Because no money need it for alcohol.
>Parents finally divorce
>Unfortunately I was already moved out of home
>>
>>7874681
god damn thats edgy
>>
>house is always a fucking mess, no space at table
>mom is a terrible cook, lots of unseasoned casseroles from a can and roasts
>no one eats at the table, except thanksgiving and Christmas

Mom would always say if I wasn't hungry enough to eat what she made, then I wasn't hungry, so I was emaciated until I moved out at 17. Moms never had a job before, you'd think she'd at least devote some energy to household chores, but nah.
>>
>>7876047
jesus christ, I'm sorry dude.
>>
File: 1428856914283.jpg (165 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
1428856914283.jpg
165 KB, 1032x774
>>7874681
>>
>>7875805
it's weird i think i had the same issue but i've gotten use to it from hand washing the dishes for years. i also can't stand forks scratching on a plate. i can hear it from 2 floors up and drives me insane.
>>
This thread made me extremely anxious, reminding me of living with my parents
>>
>>7875805
Holy shit, I'm not the only one. I get super anxious whenever someone washes the dishes. It's why I always offer to wash them myself.
>>
>>7863733
>We eat chat and be happy
That was until the fire nation attacked and everything changed
>>
Parents eat on their own time
I eat ramen and granola bars throughout the day
>>
>>7863545
>dad always made/makes great food
>like, really above average, but not restaurant-tier
>mom usually vents out/complain about her work day
>brother and me just usually watched tv while eating, then back to our room to play WOW or whatever
>3 silent men and a woman talking non-stop

Those were good years.
>>
>Australian
>Moved away from family
>Now sharing house with 5 others
>Dinner starts at 4:30 after work
>Bantz and beers for 2 hours
>Dinner served at 6:30
>Usually a large cut of meat with roast/steamed/fried veg
>Usually make Eritrean/Cantonese/Punjabi/Dutch/Italian a couple times a week
>Usually takes an hour to eat
>Go our separate ways
>Meet back up for dessert or seconds
>Have boardgame/vidya/movie nights with light snacks and drinks on certain days

Kind of proud that my cooking has massively improved the health of the household. Two guys have lost a collective 30kg and I've managed to get another two out of dangerously underweight territory.
>>
>Start dating a Kurdish girl
>Family fled Iran to escape persecution
>Still highly traditional
>Couldn't kiss or even hold her hand for long periods before we'd been dating for a few weeks
>Her family eventually accept me once they get to know me
>We move in together and have dinner with them a few times a week
>All the women and kids cook pot-meals
>All the men sit around drinking tea, watching TV
>Have a big communal, shared meal with laughs
>Kids wash up while adults keep talking
>Teenagers have to watch over the kids and help them out with heavy pots and sharp knives
It's nice not having to do anything, but the girlfriend has now been spoiled by me cooking most nights.
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.