[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On a diet and baby carrots are pretty much my go to snack food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: baby_carrots640.jpg (39 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
baby_carrots640.jpg
39 KB, 876x493
On a diet and baby carrots are pretty much my go to snack food between meals (as well as nuts/trail mix)

What are some good ways to make then less bland without dressing? Something healthy I can eat them with or a way to cook them that makes them less.... Stock?

What other veggies would be a good substitute ?
>>
you can toss them with dressing seasoning powder and it's got all the flavor but none of the calories of a dressing
>>
Maybe some sort of pickling of the carrots?
>>
>eating trail mix on a diet
nuts and raisins are shit as a snack
>>
slicing them into rings and bake them in the oven into crispy chips. flavour changeable by the seasoning you add, works with almost every other veggies of course. good to make ahead aswell
also if you like apples and don't mind the sugar, you can grate them into a bowl together with the carrots, makes a nice fruity salad, no dressing required, there's plenty of juice. Used to eat that all the time as a kid
>>
Bananas are better
Or just a sandwich
>What other veggies would be a good substitute ?
Any that are tasty to you
>>
>>7862462
Dieting is hard, always make sure you're hydrated so you're not snacking out of thirst.

One seasoning salt you might not have tried is Mexican, Tajin seasoning salt. It's literally 3 ingredients, salt, lime and chilies. Try it on cantaloupe, mango slices, cucumber spears (bake cukes), papaya, grilled corn, pineapple, and, yes, carrots. Think about a little squeeze of lime to adhere ordinary chili powder and sea salt if you can't find it (I get mine at Wal-Mart).

Yes, like >>7862464 said, pickle the carrots.
Try a quick pickle method like Mexican taquerias do on the salsa bars: onions, carrots, jalapenos. Heat and pour over hot brine over jarred ingredients (I like the carrot chips for this one, or slicing my own from those larger carrots).

3 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons pickling salt or fine sea salt (not iodized)
3 pounds small spring carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/8 inch thick
1 medium red onion, sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 fresh jalapeƱos, sliced into rings 1/8 inch thick
2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican, divided
2 teaspoons cumin seed, divided
2 large cloves garlic, halved
Optional bay leaf

You can quick pickle anything, from mushrooms to green beans to zucchini to baby green tomatoes and once cold can be a refreshing nearly calorie-free snack. Change out the herbs and vinegar types. Take it easy on the sugar, omit entirely or just use a touch. My favorite are tarragon-white wine vinegar mushrooms.
>>
>>7862463
Seems simple. I'll try that.

>>7862464
>>7862483
I've never actually thought about pickling them. How long is the quick pickle process?

>>7862468
I know, but the protein and sugars are needed in some degree and its super simple to just grab a handful while heading to work.

>>7862471
Also seems like a nice light snack. Odd combination. But I said that about tuna/salsa and that ended up being great.
>>
File: tajin.png (285 KB, 528x610) Image search: [Google]
tajin.png
285 KB, 528x610
>>7862483
Tajin pic. It's great on so much!

You might also like to dip in Marie's lemon vinaigrette or Bolthouse avocado yogurt dressing, both packed with herbal flavor for low cals. Red bell peppers can be a good crunchy alternative to carrots. Cauliflower and broccoli too of course. Kale chips will absorb whatever flavor you wet them down with before baking. Try that Tajin, furikake, apple cider vinegar, makoto dressing, coconut oil, provence blend, damn near anything.
>>
>>7862496
>I've never actually thought about pickling them. How long is the quick pickle process?
It can be as quick as 2 hours. Basically you shock the veggies with hot spiced vinegar, pour over the guys in a glass bowl or jar and simply refrigerate until cool enough to eat. They are meant to be consumed same day, next day, and within the week, and of course get mushier each day, probably maximum crunch and flavor on day 2 and 3. Because they aren't vacuum sealed and all that, they're not true pickles you can keep for months. I make them as a treat for crudite platters mostly, put them out with cocktails or holiday meals. I adore pickled whole onions the best. Melissas sells a bag of assorted boiler onions near the holidays, little baby versions of purple, yellow, white, ciprollini, so sweet and crunchy pickled!

When I diet a side of cucumbers quick pickled or enhanced is what I do when I don't want to make yet another salad. Slice thinly and add a marinade. 1) the thai pickle that I add as a side for something asian: rice vinegar, pinch of sugar, splash of fish sauce, maybe some cilantro or onion. 2) Makoto dressing (ginger-soy), 3) apple cider vinegar 4) sour cream and onion, sometimes dill or green onion.
>>
>>7862506
I'll check these out during my next food store visit.

>>7862527
Awesome suggestions. Thanks a lot.
Gonna experiment with a few of these. And i love bell peppers and onions. So those will be my guinea pigs.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.