[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Michelin Stars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: michelin.png (40 KB, 1280x562) Image search: [Google]
michelin.png
40 KB, 1280x562
At what point do Michelin stars become redundant? Surely the food at a 2 michelin star restaurant will be as good as a 3 michelin star restaurant? Won't the other star be for things like "atmosphere" and "prestige"?
>>
>>7862207
You really think they'd leave such an important rating down to "aesthetic"? Are you retarded?
>>
>>7862212
Could you taste the difference between a 2 and 3 star Michelin resturant?
>>
>>7862227
I doubt I could. I'm a pretty casual eater.

Could you?
>>
>>7862230
I have never eaten at a Michelin Star restaurant but I don't think I could tell them apart either.

Diminishing returns.
>>
>>7862207
It's funny how a tyre company became the standard on measuring high quality restaurants.
>>
Poorfags saw something about expensive restos again on buzzfeed today?
>>
>>7862272
How do you tell the difference between a 2-Michelin Star restaurant's food and 3-Michelin Star restaurant's food then, bucko?

Explain.
>>
>>7862259
The story is pretty good, and typically French. Back in the day when only the elite could afford cars it was in the interest of the tire company to get them to put more miles on their vehicles. So they started publishing a guide of restaurants they considered so good that they were destinations - worth the drive just to eat there. Then the thing greew from that.
>>
>>7862277
2 star is food that isn't exactly uncommon, it's just high class restaurant food.

3 star does something unique with their meals. Some have chefs redesign menus weekly. They do this not only well, but the quality of the food remains top notch as well.

Of course this isn't universally true, just an example.
>>
>>7862293
Uh yea thats not true at all, a lot of chefs say they actually regret getting their 3 star rating in the long run because then they get locked into basically serving the exact same food that earned them the store for the restaurants life because the only thing that hurts a chefs rating is losing their stars
>>
>>7862309
the Problem is that a lot of Client who eat in a 3 Star Restaurant expect a certain Kind of food. ( Caviar, truffels, etc) and for a Chief it's boring and its expensive to work with this Kind of products , so food cost is high, you need a lot of Clients, ypu only get a lot of Clients if you habe 3 Stars , so the Snake bites his tail ad infinitum
>>
>>7862324
You're fucking illiterate.
>>
Personally I live hole in the walls and food trucks. A lot more creative control for the chefs in charge.

A lot of places like Alinea, Next, etc are beholden to their investors.

Japan is a bit different tho since a lot kaiseki and sushi places are family owned.
>>
>>7862259
>>7862287
>>7862302
Guide Michelin exist till 1900 .. if it was America every body would say "typical American success story".. fact is that unless other "gastronomic guides" and "pseudo food bloggers" the guide Michelin employ only persons how worked in the industry and have a founded knowledge about food and wine...
>>
>>7862346
they also favour an explicit style of cuisine (French) and explicit (french) dishes and have as a result lost relevance in the world outside Europe in recent years by their own admission.
>>
>>7862331
no, i am not a native Englisch speaker ... and since you don't speak an other language I try my best
>>
>>7862290
>You can usually tell because you remember which restaurant you walked into shortly before eating the food
So what? Less waiting?
>>
>>7862350
>>7862324
German?
>>
>>7862334
Jiro dreams of sushi was an amazing documentary, I must say.
>>
>>7862357
don't be laughable
>>
>>7862207
whoa this whole thread is trolls wow
or am i trolled?
>>
>>7863903
Serious question from OP
>>
>>7863982
Yeah but now the michelin star is a guide for the best restaurants
>>
its all marketing nonsense.
I mean they are typically legitimately good restaurant, but there are plenty of other equal and better restaurants without the stars
>>
>>7862348
who the fuck care about please the palate of shit-eating savages ?
>>
>>7862227
I have never eaten Michelin quality before but I was born with an abnormal sense of taste so maybe I could
>>
>>7862350
Don't try. Just stop.>>7862422
>>
If I'm not mistaken, Michelin doesn't actually give the critics any guidelines for awarding the stars. It's up to each critic.
>>
It's gotta be the bathrooms. The deciding factor, always.
>>
There is a difference between 2 and 3 star, and yes, it comes down to things like theater ambiance etc. Remember that 3 stars is "worth a special journey". L20 in Chicago, while serving absolutely fucking fantastic food, is not worth the special journey IMO like The Fat Duck or something similar.

However I suspect that politics plays a factor as Robuchon in Las Vegas, while very very very very good, is not doing something quite like Alinea or Noma. Even The French Laundry (judging from the cookbook) doesn't seem to deliver quite the spectacle of other 3-star restaurants, but retains its stars perhaps due to the setting. What I'm saying is that older guys like Robuchon and Keller might get to retain their stars because their names.
>>
Consistency also plays a role.

>>7866360
More like they are determined by consensus. Stars are only awarded after multiple visits by multiple critics.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.