[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My workhorse chef's knife is getting too dull even after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 21aDniJUcjL[1].jpg (8 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
21aDniJUcjL[1].jpg
8 KB, 500x213
My workhorse chef's knife is getting too dull even after honing. The problem is most reasonable quality sharpening tools/setups cost more than the knife itself. What do? I don't want to throw away the knife and buy a new one, but it doesn't really make sense to sink so much money into a sharpener.
>>
>>7856325
Buy a sharpener and a few stones and have sharp knives for a lifetime. Buy a new knife and have a sharp knife for a few months. Seems pretty obvious to me.
>>
>>7856325
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467875178&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky

$32 for a razor edge on every knife you have isn't bad
>>
>>7856330
>>7856333
>bought 3 DMT sharpening stones
>it's too hard, can't sharpen the knives really
>even if i get them sharp they have shitty edges that dull in days

just go to a kitchen supply place and pay them to sharpen your knives.
>>
>>7856325

Just go to a kitchen supply store and steal one, its not bulky you can fit one in your pocket. get a 200/1000 dual grit stone.
>>
How old is it?
Do you know how to use a sharpening rod?
Sharpening steel should be sufficient to keep a knive sharp, end of. If your steel is getting dull then buy a new one, and use the old one to polish the edge once you've sharpened it.
If you're knife is totally blunt then you're either gonna need an angle grinder or just take it to a shop where they sharpen knives n shit.
>>
Just get a Ken Onion sharpener. Easy as hell.
>>
It seems like you've got your honing skills down. Just get an electric knife sharpener if you want a quick fix. The learning curve on using a sharpening stone is pretty steep. It takes awhile before you'll be able to properly reprofile the edge.
>>
>/ck/ shits on people who don't cook their own food
>sharpening your knife is too much hassle, have someone else do it
>>
>>7856853
Because sharpening a knife isn't cooking.

Should you learn a skill that can come in handy every day, saves you money, is healthier, and can be used to impress other people? Yes.

Should you learn a skill that can only come in handy once a year or so, barely saves you any money, results in a worse-quality sharpening than a professional, and other people won't give a shit about? Personally, I say no.
>>
>>7856424
>If your steel is getting dull then buy a new one
It... was dull to begin with, I think.
>>
At my old job this guy used to come to our work and charge $2 per knife to get them sharpened. Was funny because he just had an electric knife sharpener in the boot of his car, we'd get about 10 knives done at a time and it took him about 5 minutes.

My boss was pretty retarded or maybe just generous, I'm not sure.
>>
>>7859015
This is why I'm afraid of having it "professionally" sharpened. Granted, it's not super expensive, but I still don't want some guy to rip me off or destroy it.
>>
>>7859038
>being worried about someone "destroying" a 25 dollar knife

look.. get yourself a single 2000 grit whetstone for around 20 buck and use it to sharpen your knife the best you can.

next time you need to sharpen it, buy a diamon flattening/lapping stone and flatten the 3000 grit stone with it before doing it again.

this way you build up an excellent set of tools slowly over time for the same amount of money that it would of cost to replace, or sharpen the knife professionally anyway.
>>
>>7857197
I learned to sharpen out of necessity
Between hunting, skinning game, and rhe variety of cutting used cooking, it makes a lot of sense for me to learn to sharpen. Most people it wonr however
>>
Someone explain grit to me in laymans terms.

Ive also been looking to get my first Chefs Knife. I've read that Japanese knives are lighter so I'm leaning towards that. Any recommendation(for any sort of chefs knife)?
>>
>>7859147
2000 grit is 2000 granules per square inch. Think about it like pixels, a higher pixel density produces a smoother image.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.