[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any bartender/bar back anons here? About to call my local bar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: secret-gin-club-gin-martini.jpg (17 KB, 350x408) Image search: [Google]
secret-gin-club-gin-martini.jpg
17 KB, 350x408
Any bartender/bar back anons here? About to call my local bar and ask if they want a barback or want to train a bartender.

>how hard was it to learn?
>should I start at some chain joint like olive garden or apple bees?
>>
>>7854764
Do you have $400 and live near a big city? There should be a reputable bartending course there that should be able to get you in the door
>>
>>7854780
Going to monroe michigan I'm sure there is a course at the Universitys near there. They actually worth it? They seamed about on par with a "female studies" class.
>>
Walking in and asking to train is a pretty far shot, most people start out serving and work up, I know 2 people who've taken courses on it, it'll help you learn cocktails but won't teach shit about speed, multitasking, or customer service really.

You can always learn some common drinks and get some empty bottles and spouts to fill with water and practice mock drinks at home. It'll give you some practice if you decide to bullshit about job experience.
>>
File: ms.jpg (155 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ms.jpg
155 KB, 500x375
>>7854764
>not attending swigmore university
>>
>>7854764
Get a job at any bar as a bussy. Eventually you'll start barbacking, then serving. Once you've learned, you can find a job in a bar you actually want to work in easily.

The smaller the bar you work in, the more likely you'll be serving sooner. Less staff mean everyone's expected to do a bit of everything.

Do not pay for a course, it's real easy to learn the basics, the tough bit is dealing with the busy periods and not fucking up orders and cash when you're serving 3 people at once. And the only way you can get better at that is through experience.
>>
>>7854865
huh, Yeah bartenders seam to me to be in this magical place where they all somehow knew how to bartend before they got a job bartending for the first time.
>>
>>7854881
They just worked there way up from a lower paying position in the restraint
>>
Drinking at bars on slow days and asking bartenders you've been around long enough to be friendly with questions helps too
>>
>>7854893
>>7854901
I'll call a few local bars I know, I know girls from highschool who wait tables there maybe I can get in bussing tables or a bar back. I feel like if I start waiting tables I'll end up being stuck there because the turnaround rate for young kids is high so why get me into tending unless I'm persistent about it.
>>
>>7854901
Yeah because bars love to hire day drinkers as employees
>>
>>7854954
I ain't saying get a job there dumbass just another option to get some schooling off the job. Who the fuck tries to work at the places they hang out anyways, that's just a recipe to lose your ability to relax there.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.