[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone done ground beef by chopping the meat by hand and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: chopped beef.jpg (40 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
chopped beef.jpg
40 KB, 610x458
Has anyone done ground beef by chopping the meat by hand and made a burger successfully? I tried that recently but the burgers kept falling apart as I was cooking them. Any tips that don't include adding binding agents? Should I be chopping finer? Packing tighter? Higher heat? More fat? Less fat?
>>
File: 10 SS meat grinder.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
10 SS meat grinder.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>7854676
>recipe calls for ground beef
>makes diced beef instead

You should go get one of these. I usually find them at the local Goodwill.
>>
>>7854676
maybe the fat content wasn't high enough?
>>
>>7854676

I've done it a couple times when I've had a lot of time on my hands. You're probably making them too thin. Generally, you want to do with for thicker patties for steak like product. Make sure you use 80% chuck. Chop more finely if you need to.
>>
>>7854768
>80% chuck
I probably used too much short rib then.

>>7854765
I'll make several small batches next time with differing fat content to test it out.
>>
>>7854751
Or you can just use a food processor.
>>
>>7854788
I guess that would work. I've got a Ninja, but never
put meat through it.
>>
File: IMG_0903.jpg (130 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0903.jpg
130 KB, 960x1280
salt it, roll it tight in clingfilm/greaseproof and let it rest for a few hours then slice with a sharp knife. should cohere.

also one time i did chicken burgers by sous viding a huge roll of chopped up meat, then frying it off at the end. it actually worked out great, could work with beef
>>
>>7854839
>sous viding
Fuck that's a pretty good idea. I'll try that if the other methods don't yield results I'm looking for.
>>
File: knife micne.jpg (165 KB, 1886x324) Image search: [Google]
knife micne.jpg
165 KB, 1886x324
That's the way they used to do it, but I'm not sure what the merits of this method are compared to a good meat grinder.
>>
>>7854895

>merits

chopping vs grinding are just very different things. i recommend people try both to see what they like. different cuts have different fibre structures and different processing methods affect those structures differently. the loose guideline when you're making a burger is trying to get it so you're biting against the grain, not across it, for that tender texture and flood of juices across the tongue. cutting the fibres too much, as with a food processor or a knife, is going to firm up the texture as the individual small strands will form a tauter mesh. but break them down enough and eventually the texture will become gelatinous and smooth.
>>
>>7854839
beast mode, the myosin binds with salt
>>
>>7854895
I prefer knife minced for steak tartare. Can't think of any other dishes where I really go for it in favor of grinding.
>>
>>7855130
Oh yeah that's definitely nicer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.