[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinese restaurant employee AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
I've worked at a classic American-Chinese restaurant for over a year now, lo mein and General Tso's chicken kind of place, hosting serving and even sous chef at times. Wondered if y'all had any questions about the front and back room experience and want to welcome any other Chinese restaurant employee's to share experiences.
>>
>>7854452

I'd love to hear your recipe for sesame chicken. Don't dumb it down for home use--tell us exactly how you make it in the restaurant.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 500x430
>>7854457
Please do, I second this

Also are you white
>>
What kind of place asks a FoH person to be sous chef "at times"? It's not the kind of job you just fill in for somebody on.
>>
>>7854457
This but for General Tso.
>>
>>7854457
I cant say specifics, I mainly chop and do side stuff, but as for all of our chicken dishes covering the pieces in cornstarch and salt before frying is absolutely vital for the velvet texture. The sauce is I believe a combo of white vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, garlic, and a bit of chile oil. The sauce is made on the woks which have years of chinese food stained into them so that contributes to the overall flavor I'm sure.
>>
>>7854471
entire front staff is white and black, entire cook staff only speaks Cantonese. It can be frustrating.
>>
>>7854472
Sous chef is a a bit of an exaggeration, its just chopping veggies essentially before big days like mothers day or Christmas. They run a pretty loose ship however, I was paid under the table for a while.
>>
>>7854490

Sous chef is second in command. Prep cook is lower than dishwasher.
>>
>>7854492
okay bad terminology on my part
>>
>>7854474
Again to my points for sesame chicken, additionally the sauce is I believe some Chinese clear alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, scallions, corn starch to thicken.
>>
>>7854485
So are you white or not OP, since you work FoH

haha jk you ain't gotta say, I'm just busting your balls
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.