[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homemade Sauce Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 349x344) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 349x344
What are some good homemade sauces and recipes that you enjoy, /ck/?

Yesterday I made an amateur worcestershire sauce for a beef stew crock pot meal, it's good but i think it came out a little too vinegary, I want to do it again but I think I'm going to have to constitute it with something a bit thick like BBQ for flavor or corn starch for viscosity.

I have a whole bunch of chicken drumsticks that I want to cook in the crock pot but I haven't come across any good sauces that I could make for them. I'm thinking either a soy sauce base or maybe experiment with a buffalo sauce base.

Share your favorite homemade sauces of any kind.
>>
>>7853989
I mix ketchup and mayonnaise and pretend I'm hot shit

Sometimes I mix in some parmesan dandruff or chili powder to meme it up a bit
>>
>>7853989
>Yesterday I made an amateur worcestershire sauce

How so? that stuff takes months if not years to ferment properly. Or did you just make some bullshit knockoff?
>>
>>7854003
The latter. I just googled a recipe no did it, it was basically just apple cider vinegar with spices, although I used a food processor to substitute some of the powders with fresh ingredients like onion and garlic.

I just wanted a vinegar base for the crock pot and I knew there'd be an imitation recipe out there.
>>
I make a grilled jalapeno pesto that tastes good on anything
>>
>>7854013
Interesting, sounds like a good dip sauce. I have a good pesto recipe but I never thought about mixing jalapeños in it.
>>
>>7854011

Yeah, I can see how that suited your needs but how the fuck can they even call it worcestershire when it doesn't appear to contain any fish and it wasn't fermented?
>>
>>7854033
That's why I opted to call it an amateur version because the recipe didn't even call for anchovies.

I considered adding one or two into the food processor, since I happen to have anchovies, but I was too afraid that it would ruin the ratios and just turn the batch into an anchovie vinegar solution. I used the last of my apple cider vinegar making it so when I get some more I'll give it a shot. Hell, I'll even attempt to ferment it.
>>
>>7854018
I just replace the basil with grilled jalapenos and reduce the garlic. Sometimes don't put any garlic in because the peppers already have a strong taste and too many flavors can ruin it.
Good on fish, chicken, pork, beef and vegetables. Sometimes I mix it with Greek yogurt for a dipping sauce for grilled vegetables.
>>
>>7852336
>>7852336

where was this general when i needed it. wew lad.
>>
Would this be an appropriate place to ask about dry rubs? Just getting into cooking, trying to make a couple nice rubs for some good baked chicken.
>>
>>7853989
Chip dip:
Sour cream, green onions, garlic powder, chives, moderately salted. But everyone knows this.
>>
Quick* carrot gravy (gyorsvadasmártás):

Caraway seeds, 2tsp
Cooking fat, 2tbsp
Onion, chopped, half of one large
Flour, 2tbsp
Stock powder**, to match the protein you intend to cook in/serve with the gravy, enough to make 1-1½ cup/s stock
Carrot juice, 1 cup
Dill and/or parsley, freshly chopped, a handful of leaves/fronds

Powder caraway and set aside.
Cook onions in oil on medium/medium-low heat until they start to go translucent.
Add flour, caraway powder and stock powder then stir to combine.
Up the heat to high, stir about a few seconds then add carrot juice.
Bring to the boil, stirring near constantly to dissolve flour paste.
Cook to desired thickness, then off the heat and stir in chopped herbs.

>* traditionally, this is more involved and is made with a food mill or blender and with carrot, parsley root and celery root as well as being sweetened with boiled sugar or honey, but this is the quick (gyors) version with no added sugar because carrot juice is already plenty sweet

>** chicken stock powder for chicken, beef stock powder for beef, pork stock powder for pork etc; veg stock powder goes with everything, though, and is what I prefer to use always

My favourite way to use it is in a dish of smothered chicken.
Pan-sear boneless fillets of chicken, then remove from the pan and build the gravy in there as described above.
Re-add the fillets to the gravy to finish up.
Plate up a fillet or two per plate, top with a few tablespoons of gravy, and serve with a side of parsley potatoes and/or bread dumplings (zsemlegombóc, similar to matzo balls) as well as sautéed cabbage or sauerkraut and/or sautéed mushrooms or stewed peppers (lecsó).
>>
>>7854323
Lemon dressing for salad or fish (fokhagymás-citromos öntettel):

Oil, 1¼ cups
>I like olive, but use what you like
Lemon juice, fresh, ¾ cup
Prepared mustard, yellow/mild kind, ¼ cup
>I like American-style or French-style mustard for this, but use any yellow/milk kind you have
Garlic, sliced, ¼ cup
Parsley leaves, chopped, a large handful
Salt, to taste

Put everything in a blender but the parsley and salt and blitz smooth.
Run through a mesh strainer to remove any bits of garlic remaining.
Stir in parsley.
Salt to taste.
I like to serve this atop freshly boiled potatoes, on any fish dish or as a salad dressing.
It's somewhat similar to allioli, but not as thick and more deeply yellow in colour.
>>
>>7854013
does it taste good on your bfs cornhole?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.