[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. My beef is still good, right? Best before July 9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160705_144454698_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160705_144454698_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
Hey guys. My beef is still good, right? Best before July 9
>>
Yes now fuck off and eat it you ninny cunt
>>
Don't be jealous

And thank you
>>
Go by smell and texture, it's the more reliable metric. Rotten meat smells BAD, or is very slimy and generally looks different from fresh raw meat. I don't know what cut that is, so I may be wrong, but I wouldn't eat that because of how brown it is.

Anyway, dates are just estimations, and any food product could rot much before or after its date.
>>
>>7851395

This is going to sound autistic, but don't they dye beef red? Or when it's brown it's just missing the blood?
>>
>>7851448
>but don't they dye beef red?
No, they don't.

>>Or when it's brown it's just missing the blood?
All meat is missing the blood. The blood is drained out when the animal is slaughered. The color has to do with oxygen exposure. When the meat is exposed to air then the oxygen makes the myoglobin in the meat turn red. If the meat has been packed in plastic for a while then that blocks the air and it turns brown.
>>
>>7851458

Thanks captain. I probably should've known that.
>>
>>7851458
so basically the meat in OP's picture is good to eat?
>>
>>7851482

I don't know. I can't smell or touch it.

But I can tell you that the color is no cause for worry.

But >>7851420 raises a very good point. Bad meat smells BAD. As in, you will have to fight back the urge to puke instantly upon smelling it. If there is any doubt in your mind then the meat is probably fine. There is NO confusion regarding the smell of bad meat--once you encounter it, you will know.
>>
i think it is
the inside doesn't get oxidized so it's brown
>>
>>7851395
Smell it. If it smells bad wash it. If a foul smell is still emitted then it's bad. Cook it. If it tastes funny it's bad.
>>
>>7851458
>All meat is missing the blood. The blood is drained out when the animal is slaughered. The color has to do with oxygen exposure. When the meat is exposed to air then the oxygen makes the myoglobin in the meat turn red. If the meat has been packed in plastic for a while then that blocks the air and it turns brown.
>This is what Americans actually believe
>>
>>7851492
wrong. I have apneia, not op or anything but its more than possible to have a hard time smelling putrid smells. its a stronge smell than most but its still not all that strong and I have to weigh how sickly it smells based on memory and knowledgerather than nautia
>>
>>7851395
No, throw it out and spend some money on a cut that's worth a damn.
>>
>>7851395
No it's too early. Wait until 8th so it's at it's bestest.
>>
>>7853035
OK but it's correct advice for everyone without apnea, which is nearly everyone.
>>
>>7851458
I fucking hate trying to explain this to the people where I work.

>"Hey son, c'mere a minute, look, this steak you just cut is rotten."
>Actually sir that steak is perfectly fine, it's just that the portion I cut hasn't been exposed to oxygen as long as the exterior has, so it is a darker colour. I'm sure you'll find it to be just as red by the time you get home. It has to do with the myoglobin in the meat reacting to the air, that's all.
>"Oh yeah? Well I ain't buyin it."
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.