[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /ck/, I have a question for the bean wizards here. I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: beans.jpg (213 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
beans.jpg
213 KB, 425x282
Sup /ck/, I have a question for the bean wizards here. I would have posted in the beans&rice thread but it seems I just missed it D:

I soaked about 3 cups of beans overnight in a large pot of water, then placed them in the crockpot on high and covered with some veg broth and seasonings for about 4 hours now. I've taken some out to mash, and they're still fairly firm.

So my question today is this: How does one make soft beans? Could this be a result of using old (possibly older than a year?) beans? pls advise.
>>
I guess crock pot takes longer? Beans usually take only a few hours when I boil stovetop or bake. Boiling covered makes them softer faster than boiling uncovered, obviously.
>>
Well, I left them on a bit longer (2-3hr), and it hasnt seemed to help :(
>>
>>7849746
Your water is too hard, hard water equals hard beans, regardless of how long you soak and cook. You have to add baking soda and salt to the water at the right proportions, sodium carbonate can also help. Here are some links, but you will find even more information on Google.
http://chestofbooks.com/food/science/Experimental-Cookery/Cooking-Of-Dried-Legumes.html
http://chestofbooks.com/food/science/Experimental-Cookery/Cooking-Of-Dried-Legumes-Continued.html
https://www.google.com/patents/US3869556
>>
>>7850148
Very interesting, thank you for the science lesson, based anon.
+2 whole bean internets to you.
>>
>>7849874
>I guess crock pot takes longer?

It does. They call them "Slow cookers" for a reason.
>>
>>7850148
sodium carbonate pretty much is baking soda
>>
>>7850875
The issue wasnt the crock pot, it was the water in which the beans were soaked overnight.
>>
>>7850883

Even if OP had good water I would expect a crock pot to take well over the 4 hours that OP mentioned.

I wasn't disagreeing with your comment about hard water. I was pointing out that crock pots are slow in addition to that.
>>
>>7850889
But I am OP.
I checked at 4hr and they still seemed firmer than what they should have been. I mean, I know crockpots are slow, but I'm also aware of how cooking works, mostly. I would have expected the beans to be softer than they were after that much time.

I guess I can blame California and their shitty tap water due to the 15yr+ drought.
>>
I typically soak my beans while I'm at work, (about 10 hrs) then simmer them for another hour. They come out decent, but not perfect.

How can I improve? More soaking time, or more cooking time? I cook my beans in stock, so water quality isn't an issue.
>>
>>7850879
It's slightly different.
>>
>>7851016
Water quality of the water that you use to soak is an issue, though.
See: >>7850148
>>
>>7849746
Do you own a pressure cooker? It highly decrease cooking times. When cooking beans, let it cool down before opening. I cook my soaked chickpeas 20min, black beans and the like between 10 to 20min.
>>
>>7851383
I wish. I miss having access to a pressure cooker. They do soups well and make buying whole birds worth it.
>>
I've heard that putting them in a bot oif water, then tuinring on the stoive on high for 5-10 minutes, then just soaking them the rest of the night/24 hours will get them soft enough but I honestly think the beans we are used to from cans have ruined our palettes for beans. I personally love the crunch of a firm bean, makes them like edamame, but that's just me.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.