[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Our favorite Chef / Owner of the local Chinese place died and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Our favorite Chef / Owner of the local Chinese place died and the food there went bad in a short time.

They had very good General Tso chicken when the Owner Yum was alive. But now they have new cooks working it kitchen and the food is not the same.

The sauce tastes different and its not consistent each time you order it tasted different or has a different thickness.

And the chicken bits that go with the sauce used to be made differently.

Before they were slices of chicken that were fried with a coating that left them crunchy, crispy and not smooth. But they stopped making the chicken that way and they instead cut them into cubes and fry them with the smooth batter that they use for Sweet and Sour Chicken.

If you have eaten sweet and sour chicken before you know the type of batter I mean. Its not as good for the General Tso Chicken.

I have tried to replicate the dish at home and I can do an ok approximation of his sauce. But I am having trouble getting the chicken right.

The batter is tricky. I have tried a bunch of methods and none of them give the same result that Yums general tso chicken had.

If you want a smooth battered chicken like Sweet and Sour you get it by mixing egg with cornstarch and then frying the battered chicken.

Or you can use some Drakes seasoned flour and make a batter and put the chicken in that. This is good for making Sweet and Sour at home but its not the best for General Tso.

When I make the General Tso I usually mix up an egg with some Chinese cooking wine and then coat them with cornstarch and fry.

Other methods I have tried is with using the Drakes seasoned flour, but its still not right.

I wonder if he was using some kind of flour to batter the chicken, because it was not really a wet batter it seemed like it was a dry batter because it was not smooth.

Today I am going to try like shown in the image here. its with no Egg, just the wine and cornstarch.
>>
Lllloooooonnnnnggggg fuccckkkkiiinnnggggg pppoooooosssttttttt
>>
>>7848543
kys at least someone is posting cooking content for fucking once
>>
>>7848544
kill yourself and double batter the chicken, you fucking dingus.
>>
Try just egg white and cornstarch and double frying.
>>
>>7848544
I actually had an idea but you know wat? Fuck off keep trying variations forever until you give up and eat the sub par chicken
>>
>>7848516
Don't put cooking wine in or egg batter. A little buttermilk for tang and egg is all that's needed. Aside from that bread your chicken in a mixture of flour and papa no bread crumbs. This should give you the texture you're looking for. You can marinate your chicken in the Chinese cooking wine, with some hoisin, garlic, and soy sauce if you want extra flavor. I'd marinate it for at least 5-6 hours so the flavors penetrate. Good luck!
>>
>>7848587
Mother fucking auto correct. Don't put cooking wine in your egg batter*
And bread your chicken with flour and panko bread crumbs. The more panko the bigger the crunch you'll get.
>>
>>7848591
don't listen to this guy. he works for burger king.
>>
>>7848591

I am trying to replicate what the dead guy Yum was doing. And he didnt use Panko.

I know breadcrumbs and this chicken didnt have breadcrumbs on it.

Its was some kind of a flour dry coating that left the chicken really craggy and rough. Instead of smooth like a batter.

And it was not Breaded.
>>
>>7848587

I make Sous Vide buttermilk fried chicken but I dont think buttermilk is classic Chinese.

I dont think the dead guy Yum was using buttermilk.
>>
>>7848555

Unfortunately the cooks at the Chinese place are re-frying the chicken bits. But not in the good way like you mean.

Instead they cook a bunch of the sweet and sour chicken and then they just refry it when they need to make it for an order.

Its the super lazy way to do it and I wont give them anymore of my business.

Yum never did crap like that.
>>
>>7848612
Look up karage, it might be similar to what you're thinking.
Also you mix the buttermilk with the eggs to create a better coating for your flour. But that's just what I do.
>>
File: 26398574.jpg (45 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
26398574.jpg
45 KB, 480x480
>>7848516
I dont know where you live but check your supermarkets. Buy pic related and mix in a big spoonful of sambal oelek. Serve over some jasmine rice and its fucking great.
>>
Had the shit happen with sushi, but it's worse because it goes from Japanese owner to Chinese and they don't use fresh fish anymore
>>
>>7848636

Ive been making my sauce with Lao Gan Ma chili paste

And I follow this youtube recipie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-47GhOl9hB0

I also use Chili Garlic Sambal from Huy Fong

The kind with the Green lid and the Chicken, you prolly know it.
>>
File: HUY-06105-1.jpg (396 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
HUY-06105-1.jpg
396 KB, 1600x1600
This is my favorite chili garlic sambal:

Today I made some pork potstickers dumplings and I use this stuff to make a sauce. I mix honey up with Shaoxing wine and add chili oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and chopped scallion.

For potstickers you jsut make the dumplings with a sausage mix and then sear both sides of them in a pan with oil and then finish them off with some chicken stock. Once they are cooked you serve them up by spooning the sauce over the top of them.
>>
>>7848636

I think the Sambal Oelek and the Chili Garlic sambal are almost the same thing but the Chili Garlic Sambal has Garlic not just Chili like the Salbal Oelek.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.