[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i made a batch of beef jerky today, i started with 1.3kg of topside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: fucking jerks.jpg (93 KB, 469x625) Image search: [Google]
fucking jerks.jpg
93 KB, 469x625
i made a batch of beef jerky today, i started with 1.3kg of topside beef (2.8659611992945 lbs) marinated it overnight then dehydrated it for 7 hours.

The final result netted me 450g of jerky (0.99206349206349 lbs)

Why are cows such scam artists? They make us pay for their bodily fluids every time we buy a steak.

What can we do to fuck the cows up? This sort of rip off system they have going has to stop.

Pic related, what I got.
>>
>>7844302
brotip: tri tip is an excellent cut of beef that's fairly cheap
>>
Bro that jerk looks hecka swell I'm fixing to make some of my own now it's been a long time
What'd you flavor it in?
>>
>>7844341
I cheated and used some south African chilli biltong spice that a friend recommended, it's a dry rub but tastes perfect for jerky. I like mine as dry af too, so you have to give your teeth a good workout to eat it.

I have experimented with a bunch of soy and Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke recipes etc but so far I like this one the best and it's the lazy option.

I've yet to find any recipes online that I absolutely love, I'll have to start doing some smaller batches with different ingredients I guess
>>
>>7844302

Typical beef jerky ratios to beef used is like 2:1 or 1.5 pounds of beef per 1 pound of jerky, how did you manage to turn 3 pounds of beef into 1 pound, that's gonna be some dry ass jerky.
>>
>>7844331
I just googled Tri tip because I've not heard of it, apparently it's the bottom triangle of the sirloin. It's not really that common here because we kill our cows younger than you do in the Us which means the entire tri tip portion ends up being less than half a pound

Gerello is a good cut here that is quite lean as well, I just bought topside because the butcher I walked past had a really stunning chunk of it sitting behind the glass and I had to have it
>>
>>7844302
biltong > jerky
>>
>>7844364
It is dry but that's how I like it
Chewy af
>>
>>7844361
Nice, I typically try to mock the pre packaged peppered kind but with some added sweetness to cut into the spice. Idk why but spicy with a slight sweet is my go-to basic flavor combo for jerky and the black pepper is like crack to me
>>
>>7844302
>2.8659611992945 lbs
>>
>>7844411
It's not my fault amerifats use a silly measurement system
>>
>>7844302
>2.8659611992945
>0.99206349206349
What are sig figs?
>>
QUESTION

I see a lot of recipes online for jerky requiring that beef be brought to a certain temperature. Is this just for the overly cautious, or can I just throw my sliced up marinated steak in the dehydrator like I do with fruit?
>>
>>7844582
it's overly cautious, alton brown tier beef jerky means you don't add any heat to the drying process at all (use box fans and cellulose based filters), heat assistance is the method cheap dehydrators usually use

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-beef-jerky-recipe-0170068.html
>>
>>7844582
>>7845086
full clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JetOoEngs
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.