[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a difference in how safe it is to eat undercooked ground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 300px-Hackfleisch-1.jpg (46 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
300px-Hackfleisch-1.jpg
46 KB, 300x228
Is there a difference in how safe it is to eat undercooked ground beef vs undercooked steak? Some people I know don't mind eating rare steak but get paranoid about eating a hamburger that isn't well done.
>>
>what is beef tartar
>>
>>7843891

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukhoe

I ate Yukhoe for two years. Never died. Never got sick.

Suck it up, buttercup.
>>
Usually when someone starts a QTDDTOT thread I suggest that they just start a new thread in order to bump off a fast food thread. But this question really doesn't need to be it's own thread.

>the surface of steak gets cooked
>no baddies live on the inside
>ground beef is often made from hundreds of different cows
>blah blah blah
>>
Unless you have a beta cuck digestive system, there's no problem eating raw meats.
>>
Eating hamburger a little under cooked is fine as long as it was refrigerated properly. In fact, a good burger should have a slightly pink center.
>>
>>7843891
If you made the ground beef yourself or trust the person who did there is no problem. If however you buy it from the supermarket it just isnt worth the risk.

Also, store ground beef has a terrible texture compared to hand ground.
>>
>>7843891
surface of steak is cooked to temperature. kills bacteria, fungus, viruses.

ground meat is all those surfaces mixed together. those viruses, fungus, bacteria can't be killed until cooked thoroughly.

but hey, the likelihood of contamination is still fairly low. wouldn't worry about it too much.
>>
Yeah you shouldn't undercook ground beef. The only reason steak can be undercooked and safe is because its structure doesn't allow bacteria to get into its center like chicken does. But you grind it up all bets are off.

Anytime someone asks me "how do you want your burger done" I know I'm in for a shitty burger, in the same way if someone asked "how do you want your chicken." Fucking cook that shit to 160 internal. No don't overcook it, no I don't want a fucking dried out disk.

Anyways, yeah you are absolutely correct to be paranoid.
>>
>>7843901
Enjoy your Tapeworms faggot.
>>
>>7843928
Get with the fuckin' times, anon.

Tapeworms were an issue 60 years ago when that information became known to the public, and thanks to modern food safety standards they are no longer an issue. The last case of someone getting trichinosis from eating meat occurred when they ate meat from a wild mountain lion, and that was back in the late 70's.

It's perfectly safe to cook things like pork- and hamburger- a little underdone, unless you're a moron and you didn't refrigerate it properly.
>>
>>7843928
>Hurr durr I'm genetic scum that can't process meat
>>
File: 1459991345684.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1459991345684.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>making something with beef mince
>cut a bit of the corner and eat it raw
>>
>>7843891
As someone who has worked in the industry I will tell you this.

Steak: One cow, one verifiable source.
Ground beef: Many cows, no source.

Just fyi: The USDA views sausage and their ilk in the same category: Many sources, no liability.

In short: If want a rare steak, don't go for the ground beef, pay for an actual steak. If you want ground beef, why are you not at fast food?
>>
>>7843946
>The last case of someone getting trichinosis from eating meat occurred when they ate meat from a wild mountain lion, and that was back in the late 70's.

>During 2008-2010, an annual average of 20 cases per year were reported in the United States.

Well which is it faglord?
>>
>>7843911
As long as the internal center temperature of the burger at some point reaches the point of killing bacteria (165F?), why would this be an issue? You can still have a medium-rare burger bacteria-free as long as it reaches that internal temp, even briefly, just not long enough to cook the inner meat.
>>
>>7845785
>You can still have a medium-rare burger bacteria-free as long as it reaches that internal temp
Nah, it doesn't work like that. Once it reaches that temp it's not going to be medium-rare.

However, I've read that you can cook to a lower temperature if you hold it at that temp for a long time. Like 130F for 4 hours or something like that, I'm not sure of the specifics.

But, well done meat can still be juicy and tender as long as it's not overcooked. Well done is about 160F but people will cook it to 180F and be like "well you wanted it well done lol"

I wonder with the creation of cultured meat, if raw meat dishes will become more popular since it'll most likely be cleaner food.
>>
>>7845414
Fuck off beta cuck ahit digestive tack beta piece of shit

Its COMPLETELY SAFE
>>
"ground beef" isn't just one cut of meat. It's all the scraps etc. thrown into big grinder and ground up. If there is any e. coli, it could be mixed in with the entire batch and contaminate all of it. The only way to avoid getting sick would be to cook it thoroughly.

Whereas with a steak, if there is e. coli on the surface, it would not be able to penetrate the surface, so all the inside is clean.
>>
>>7845785
no if you want a less than well done burger to be 100% 'safe' buy a cut of beef, sear it off then grind it yourself.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.