[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
America's "beer revolution"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 17
File: IPAs-1024x411.jpg (139 KB, 1024x411) Image search: [Google]
IPAs-1024x411.jpg
139 KB, 1024x411
Hundreds of over-hopped, identical-tasting IPAs.
>>
we get it, you pussies can't handle hops. drink something else.
>>
>there's no such thing as "over-hopped", just unbalanced
>all of those beers taste different
>america also makes every style of beer that's available in your country
>>
>>7842568
wheres the coors?
>>
>>7842563

you pick the one with the most hipster label that appeals to your sense of "im not a budlight kinda guy" personality

>man i like this popart vibe my bottle is giving off ill make sure the label is always facing out
>>
>>7842579

>beer hipsters choose beers based on the picture on the label

You are really dumb if you actually believe that.
>>
>he fell for the beer meme
I pity you hipsters
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (162 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
162 KB, 1200x1600
A few years ago, my girlfriend was having trouble thinking of what to get her stepbrother for Christmas. He was the first person I would think of when I'd hear "hipster," so I suggested an expensive craft beer that screamed "tryhard."

So we bought him pic related, thinking we'd all have a laugh. But instead he just thanked us since it was one of his favorite brands.
>>
>>7842626

Arrogant bastard is tasty. Who's the idiot then?
>>
>>7842626

>buying a beer as widely available as bud and giving it to someone who actually drinks beer while thinking it's "hipster" or "tryhard"

He probably thought that you were the one looking stupid for buying him AB as though it was something gift worthy, without even knowing you thought he was the idiot.

>blah blah things that never actually happened to begin with
>>
>>7842626

Arrogant Bastard is the real deal man. Good name, great better beer.
>>
>>7842563

Has a point, it's not the absolute truth but it's DEFINATELY based in fact.

Waaaaayyy to many """""" American Pale Ales"""""" around tbhqh
>>
>>7842579
>tfw I like budlight as a cheap inoffensive and decent tasting everyday beer.
>>
>>7842631

Ironic huh, he meant for that gesture to call the recipient the arrogant one
>>
>>7842714
surprisingly, bud light pairs well with mexican food
>>
>>7842563
>Hundreds of over-hopped, identical-tasting IPAs.
and tens of thousands of other things too
>>
>>7842742
Bud Light is basically water. Its inoffensive, but it hardly pairs with anything well or poorly
>>
>>7842752
>beer flavors in general are a bad match to food
What are you basing this assertion off of?
>>
IPAs are the easiest to brew because you can just shove as many hops into the beer to cover up other imperfections. The mark of a skilled brewer is a quality pilsner because there is very little margin for error.
>>
>>7842787
Not really though, if you have ever had a west coast IPA and compared it to a well balanced IPA, the difference is massive and amazing.

Plus you are just talking about basic sanitation and quality control, something nearly any commercial brewer can hit, the more important part of being a great brewer is formulating a delicious recipe. Sure tasting like nothing will make it easier to taste if there is literal shit in there, but that doesn't make it a good beer or suggest the brewer is talented, just that he meets the bare minimum of brewing
>>
>>7842803
well if you are having a large meal, then a bunch of light beer probably isn't a good choice, but if its a more moderately sized meal or you are drinking a high ABV ber that shouldn't be an issue

But your initial assertion was about the flavor of beer not working with food, not that it was too carbonated
>>
Why is AMerica so great at making beers?

Is it something in the water?
>>
>>7842798

It's just a meme, and possibly pasta.
>>
File: 13286456.jpg (46 KB, 466x622) Image search: [Google]
13286456.jpg
46 KB, 466x622
>Hopalicious
>Modus Hoperandi
>Hop Hero
>Hop Scotch
>Hopdacious
>Hop Hero
>Hop City Hoptrocity
>Hippity Hop

Help me come up with names for my next IPA /ck/
>>
>>7842864

>ipa's are the easiest to brew because they just cover up the flavor with too many hops
>a german beer with less of the exact same ingredients takes a master brewer

If you haven't seen some variation of that posted 100 times you must be new here.
>>
>>7842872
Hopster Bullshit
>>
>>7842918
Pretentious Hopster Bullshit
>>
>>7842872
hop off the cliff
>>
>>7842872
'GO'PA - The Original Deep Dish IPA™
>>
>>7842929

>the average IPA drinker

Maybe try something like, "the average beer enthusiast". There can't be an average IPA drinker stereotype if people from every age group and walk of life all drink IPA. That's like posting a random picture and saying, "here's the average sandwich eater".
>>
File: surly-furious-beer-xl.jpg (276 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
surly-furious-beer-xl.jpg
276 KB, 960x640
stay mad
>>
>>7842872
Hop on Pop - IPA with some cola flavoring
>>
>>7842563
Cider is better
>>
>>7842626

But this is great beer and you're a faggot

I don't even know what the word hipster is supposed to mean anymore. Apparently good beer good coffee and a beard make you one. But all three of those things are good things.

I think its a catch all term for people who have pleb tastes to use in order to feel better about themselves. This applies especially to music as well, for whatever fucking reason
>>
File: 1452302316932.jpg (91 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
1452302316932.jpg
91 KB, 736x552
>>7842935
I laughed way harder than I should have
>>
File: 0701161614a.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0701161614a.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Why do Europeans feel the need to make these threads?

Here, 8 beers I sampled yesterday. Zero of these were IPAs.

Since hops grow better here than certain places in Europe, that is why they expanded into the IPA frontier. Hell, one of my local breweries has Mosaic hops, Citradellic hops, and some sort of Australian species growing in the back that they use in their beers, even porters. Their most famous beer is actually a stout, despite them growing hops.

I'd say sours are the new hipster trend (but I fucking love me a Gose), at least in my state.
>>
>>7842836
Wine is gross though
>>
>>7842836
All of this is your opinion, "wino". Almost every sommelier will admit some beers/ale pair well with certain food.
http://thundercanyonbrewery.com/beer-sommeliers/

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/drinking/beer/beerpairings

You can't taste the difference between hops in porters vs no hop? Seriously?
>>
>>7843059
Unions are good. Wine is fucking gross. And it isn't alcohol enough for me to ignore it like macallan.
>>
>>7842872
How about Hop Hero?
>>
>>7843053
You are apparently new to either 4chan or /ck/. Europoors and Britbongs and Americans have bickered in these threads for years.
>>
File: kids menu.jpg (1 MB, 3478x2231) Image search: [Google]
kids menu.jpg
1 MB, 3478x2231
>>7843059
lmfao
>>7843057
here's your kid's menu
>>
>>7842571
All of these are true.
>>
>>7843078
>out of control alcoholic tier

Str8 edge till 21, bro!
>>
>>7843076
>I drink beer, cider, rum, scotch, and brandy
>am a kid because I hate wine

>>7843078
>out of control alcoholic tier

Does it make it worse that I generally drink it straight from the bottle?
>>
>>7843078
>all hops are the same
Yeah yeah, all grapes are the same.

And I can already tell the future. You are going to make a 4 paragraph post about why I'm wrong.
>>
>>7843091
>no guys, trust me, I am important, you know who I am
>>
>>7843091
>So if someone has an opinion that doesn't COMPLETELY line up with your childish, cartoon view of the world
Saying America is only IPA is not an opinion, it is an assertion of fact and objectively false
>>
>>7843223
>You can't even tell an American from a foreigner,
People aren't defined by where they are from fucking Trump voter
>>
>>7843223
>>what is hyperbole for the sake of making a point
Whats your point then?
>>
File: african cuisine.jpg (40 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
african cuisine.jpg
40 KB, 580x435
>>7843227

>most niggers are good people
>>
>>7842836
Disagree strongly. Beer's carbonation and flavors go GREAT with some types of food, and good wine is better on its own.

Carbonation has a nice cleansing effect on the palate, and balanced hops and malt are a natural complement to many savory foods. This mostly applies to lagers and non-hopped-too-shit ales, but stronger beers can go well with strong cheeses and desserts too.
>>
File: 1458355706546.png (137 KB, 268x291) Image search: [Google]
1458355706546.png
137 KB, 268x291
>>7842836
>muh tannins
>>
Stone IPA is best

Mainstream IPAs are generally shit especially Shiner's
>>
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 132x144) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 132x144
What's a beer that's like Blue Moon and not too hard to find?

I've been drinking Blue Moon, Low Life, and whiskey since the other beers I've tried have tasted awful.
>>
>>7843269
Well thats a fucking silly stance when IPA is less than a third of craft beer, and mediocre monotonous west coast style IPA is probably less than half of that
Sure there is a lot of IPA, but there is a lot of everything
>>
people like IPAs because they taste good

personally I think APAs strike the best balance between hops biterness and smoothness
>>
File: 1462814129177.jpg (85 KB, 599x483) Image search: [Google]
1462814129177.jpg
85 KB, 599x483
>>7843292
Oh and I forgot, Yuengling is my favorite but they don't sell it here. I can enjoy a Guinness as well but that's too heavy a taste for general consumption.
>>
>>7842563

honestly most beer tastes like shit, bland as fuck. people are drawn to IPAs because they actually have flavor. call me a pleb, but you know I'm right.
>>
>>7842563
You're ignoring how the US also completely dominates the stout game, and does well in other styles.

And while we might not do the best, we do good Belgian and German style beers that cost 1/2 of what the top quality ones from over yonder cost, and are almost as good.

The IPA meme will end soon enough. There's a handful of actually good ones, the rest are awful.
>>
File: 1464569997252.jpg (1 MB, 1097x1086) Image search: [Google]
1464569997252.jpg
1 MB, 1097x1086
>>7842563
IPA is shit, I don't know how people keep that lawn clipping soaked bathwater down.

Lager master race.
>>
>>7843338
I don't have the numbers in front of my but I'm certain I read that last year about 33% of craft beer is IPA. I was just guessing what percent of it is mediocre IPA, but plenty of it, especially the new stuff is pretty good with the proliferation of all sorts of better hop strains than the first wave on IPA had to use
>>
>>7843338
In 2014 IPA was 21% of craft beer sales by volume
https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/year-beer-2014-craft-beer-review-brewers-association/
>>
>>7842563

Pilsner/lager is master race. IPA is for hippies that like eating grass and dirt.
>>
>>7843366
no
>>
>>7842626

If I had to down a nasty as fuck IPA, It'd be Arrogant Bastard or St Arnold.
>>
>>7843351

>take a picture of me studying and looking cute
>opens book to a random page
>doesnt read anything

college was great
>>
>>7843383
No, no he is not on point. had he said IPA is pretty popular, he would have had a point. Also thats just ignoring the assertion that IPA is a homogeneous category. Do you seriously think a midwest style Citra IPA tastes just like a western Cascade IPA?

Sounds like you are doing a whole fucking lot of goal post moving, when something being only 21% of craft beer makes it even worthy of making a thread whining about it
>>
>>7842934
I'd drink that.
>>
Fuck IPA. My grocery stores are filled to the brim with shitty IPAs.

There are so many shitty IPAs on the market, that brewers are making offshoots of their shitty IPAs. California IPA, Oregon IPA, Southwest IPA, Jizz IPA. It's all fucking bullshit.
>>
File: PEOPLE_DIE_IF_THEY_ARE_KILLED.jpg (23 KB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
PEOPLE_DIE_IF_THEY_ARE_KILLED.jpg
23 KB, 640x368
>>7843235
>[racial word for bad people] are bad people
>>
>>7842563
I'm honestly curious here.

I enjoy every style of beer. For different reasons, yes, but I can say I like a double IPA as much as a Imperial Stout/Fruit Beer/Belgian/Gose/etc... Am I the minority? I feel like mot styles have their pros and cons, and can be worth enjoying once in a while.

Here's the thing though. I enjoy the GOOD beers of those different styles. I'm well aware that there's 101+ shitty IPA's and others that are awful, and some terrible beers of other styles. Bad beer is bad beer.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I Like a refreshing IPA on a hot summer day. A good Belgian once in a while. A nice hearty stout during the winter. A solid lager or pilsner when I'm out to dinner. Why all the hate for different styles?
>>
>>7843414
IPA is a diverse category, you are basically like the people saying all beer is the same
>>
>>7843487

No anon, you're the only person out there who likes good beer.
>>
>>7843487
Mostly the same, except I'm not a fan of most weaker tasting stuff. Lagers and Pilsners are, mostly, just kind of bland for me.
>>
>>7843529
The OP literally said they were identical tasting. How is me saying they are not backpedaling?
>>
>>7843513
I mean, based on the belligerent amount of hate you see for IPA/Belgian/German/whatever beers you see on /ck/, they're not wrong. I saw plenty of "KBS is shit" posts a while ago. The number of people on /ck/ who actually like a lot of styles of beers, rather than shit on all but on is rare.
>>
>>7843599
No one ever claimed IPA wasn't common dude
>>
>>7843624
Fair enough.
>>
>>7843487
>am I the only one that likes things?
pretty much, yeah
>>
File: spilledit.png (109 KB, 456x356) Image search: [Google]
spilledit.png
109 KB, 456x356
>>7843305
>tfw within walking distance of a yuengling brewery and it still costs more than every other macrobrew
>>
>>7843602

I think a lot of people here are just old enough to have only been able to buy beer for less than a year, so there's obviously a lot of people who've tried half a dozen different beers and are giving their uninformed opinion. Then there's anti-American posters who are just going to pretend that America makes nothing but overhopped IPA.

There are constantly beer threads on /ck/ that are actual discussions and not bait, and "IPA is terrible" is pretty much just a meme anyways.
>>
>>7843381
How do I make college great? Please, teach me how to slut around.
>>
>>7843660
This makes sense. When I first started with beer, I hated IPA's and couldn't drink stouts. I only liked what beers and Belgians.

Now Stouts are my favorites, I like IPA's once in a while, and I rarely get Belgians/Wheats,.
>>
>>7842563
USA can't into food and drink.
Everyone knows this.
>>
>>7843348
The US makes phenomenal lagers and pilsners, good brown ales too. But so many craft breweries have to make a Maple Bacon Double Chocolate Bourbon Russian Peanut Butter Imperial Stout that the handful of good, simple ones get lost in the mix.
>>
>>7844777
>Most normal people start off on IPAs and imperial stouts
lol what? No they don't
You are describing the exact opposite of reality
>>
>>7844790
very few make super gimmicky beers like that. Rogue isn't typical of craft breweries
>>
>>7843292
Allagash White is what you are looking for
>>
>>7844801
People overwhelmingly start with subtle lagers, then often move onto Blue Moon type stuff and wheat beers before moving on to IPA, stout and sours.

Note how the first wave of craft beer was mostly dominated by lagers and lighter ales
>>
>>7844800
>Five breweries within my city
>7-8 gimmicky chocolate/milk/chocolate milk stouts between them
Don't get me wrong, I love a good American stout, like Anchor, but sugary, chocolate stouts are getting really popular.
>>
>>7844811
a simple chocolate stout isn't gimmicky its a very natural pairing. Plus you have to keep in mind that most craft breweries make 10-20 different beers, you can't just pick out a beer that makes a tiny portion of a small percentage of breweries' portfolios and act like it defines craft beer in general
>>
>>7844820
>you can't just pick out a beer that makes a tiny portion of a small percentage of breweries' portfolios and act like it defines craft beer in general
That's literally what this thread is about.
>>
>>7844800
Ironically enough, Rogue's oatmeal stout is one of my favorite American beers. It's kind of a shame, they do really decent simple beers when they aren't pouring their resources into a $20 bottle of mediocre beer that smells like s'mores.
>>
>>7844811
sugary stouts have always been wildly popular
>>
>>7844807
I think it depends on whether you grew up in an environment where teenagers sneak off and buy bulk cubes of beer with the change they scrounged up from the sofa cushions, or not

If you start off in an extremely price-sensitive environment then naturally you'll end up starting off with macro lagers because they are cheap

If you start off being able to buy what you want, then you gravitate towards the fun stuff right away
>>
>>7844862
>I think it depends on whether you grew up in an environment where teenagers sneak off and buy bulk cubes of beer with the change they scrounged up from the sofa cushions, or not
There are places where this is not the case?
>>
>>7844862
Where the fuck are 16 years olds drinking primarily DIPA and imperial stout?
>>
>>7844871
I could always drink growing up, it wasn't seen as some thing you had to sneak away to do. I understand in some more repressed environments, it's viewed as a wicked act of teen rebellion. That's not how it was for me. Some of my classmates, for sure, but not the crowd I was a part of.

But growing up I just drank what my parents had at home. I only started actively buying beer when I was in college and had a part time job.
>>7844876
Where the fuck are 16 year olds allowed to buy beer? Germany maybe? Poland? I'm talking about the US.
>>
>>7844890
Your world view is fucking strange
>>
>>7844896
Yes, I realize it must be strange for you to encounter people who have had different experiences.

To me it is strange to encounter people who haven't ever interacted with someone with a different background or value system.

I didn't even drink much my first few years of college because I wasn't of legal age. And yet, I never got beat up or ostracized for it. Strange, right?
>>
>>7844902
Note that you were trying to pass your experience off as typical.
You literally said most teenagers start by drinking Imperial Stout and DIPA and then move onto light lagers as they become mature. An utterly absurd assertion, which I highly doubt is something you have experienced let alone believe is typical
>>
>>7844911
>You literally said most teenagers start
You completely invented that because you have certain assumptions about who starts drinking and when, and under what circumstances

I am basing this off my circle of college drinking friends. I wasn't part of one of those loud violent fraternities that rapes and sets things on fire. We would pick up some small amount of imperial stout or whatever, consume it, and that was it. Period.

Based on the youngsters I talk to who are just coming out of school and interning at my company, this is also pretty typical. They absolutely love the heavy, strong, obvious beers.

You should understand that in this country, the way a hillbilly lives, tearing up the countryside in his tractor while guzzling natty ice and groping his sister's large breasts, isn't universal, and in fact is a way of life rapidly heading to extinction. It may seem normal, if those are the only people you have ever interacted with, and if the television has told you that anyone who doesn't talk, look, think, eat, drink, and live exactly like you must not be a real American and is probably ISIS plotting to impose sharia law over USA Freedom #1. But I hope you can at least take it on faith that there are many many people whose background and experience differs from your own.
>>
>>7844918
Do you honestly believe this stuff?
>>
File: CGWiSy8UkAAA6JN.jpg (36 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
CGWiSy8UkAAA6JN.jpg
36 KB, 600x432
>>7844921
Get out of your farm bubble some time and you'll see things you wouldn't believe. People who don't talk like you. People who don't think like you. People who don't look like you. People who don't eat like you. People who don't live like you.
>>
>>7844926
So you think starting drinking before turning 21 is a sign you are a farmer? What?
>>
>>7844848
Why though? It covers up the flavor. Maybe when it's cold out, yeah, but year-round sugary stouts?
>>
>>7844930
I do most of my drinking indoors, so I couldn't care less what the weather is like outside
>>
>>7844926
Re-read my posts. Once again you are inventing things because your small mind cannot conceive of a person whose experience is this different from your own. So you change one variable while clinging desperately to the other variables because it's too radical to imagine a world in which a parent might offer a 15 year old a glass of something "rebellious" right there, and allow it to be consumed without calling the Child Protective Services.
>>7844930
Because, as much as some people around here want to pretend otherwise, liking sweet things is natural and normal and is not a sign that you are a a girl (not that there is anything wrong with girls). Although, as I have said, it's normal to gravitate towards lighter, drier styles of beer after your early 20s.
>>
>>7844935
oops meant to reply to this guy >>7844929
>>
>>7844935
>it's normal to gravitate towards lighter, drier styles of beer after your early 20s.
lol, literally no one ever does this
>>
>>7844945
Some people get hung up doing things one way. Like the middle aged MacDonalds manager who still wears his high school sports jersey and tells tales about that one time he totally banged this hot slut in the back of his mustang, 20 years ago.

I'm talking about well-rounded people who seak continuous improvement throughout their lives.
>>
>>7842872
>Hop Circle
>Hopparazi
>Hops and Robbers

Just kidding, these are actual IPA names.
>>
>>7844948
Do you seriously expect us to believe you didn't know how to properly spell McDonalds?
>>
>>7842563
Your a fucking idiot
>>
>>7844959
I can't spell it because I am actually not a real American, I am only here to learn about your ways so I can impose sharia law upon you :^)
>>
>>7844963
The have McDonalds in the middle east too
>>
File: 2irritant.jpg (22 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
2irritant.jpg
22 KB, 265x300
>>7844959
>McDonalds
It's spelled McDonald's you colossal retard.
>>
>>7844966
Yes but it's probably spelled in Arabic. I mean it's spelled in Arabic. I know because I speak it. Allahu akbar.

One of these days we're going to take away all your The New Craft Beer and then you'll be forced to drink our Stella and our Heineken and you'll like it because you have no other choice.

t. Mohamad Al-Barbosa, Esq.
>>
>>7844967
>using punctuation on 4chan
>>
File: SmugAnimeGirl_9.jpg (9 KB, 230x164) Image search: [Google]
SmugAnimeGirl_9.jpg
9 KB, 230x164
>>7844971
>He doesn't always use proper punctuation.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.