[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Philly think they invented meat and cheese?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: philadelphia-cheesesteak1-920vp.jpg (153 KB, 920x613) Image search: [Google]
philadelphia-cheesesteak1-920vp.jpg
153 KB, 920x613
Why does Philly think they invented meat and cheese?
>>
>>7837212
I like to think we perfected it, fuckstick.
>>
>>7837237
Ha, you fucks can't even perfect bell crafting.
>>
>>7837243
That was one of the worst jokes I have ever heard in my life holy shit
>>
>>7837212
Philadelphia is full of retards.
>>
>>7837582
>>7837243
i thought it was pretty good
>>
>>7837582
That's because you're a humorless ass
>>
>>7837592
>>7837599
you gotta admit that joke was a bit

tasteless
>>
File: bs7LK2m.png (794 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bs7LK2m.png
794 KB, 1280x720
>>7837590
Fuck you too.
>>
>>7837605
GO AWAY DAD
>>
>>7837605
Like their cheesesteak
>>
>cheese
They will be quick to point out that you are not allowed to put cheese on their namesake sandwiches.
>>
File: IMG_3527.jpg (453 KB, 1195x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3527.jpg
453 KB, 1195x1600
>Hole in the wall philly shop near my house
>Gives you a bag of greasy fries

I can only go there every few months because it literally gives me chest pain
>>
>>7837582
>>7837599
It was funny. I think you're the humorless one in this scenario.
>>
Why does america think they invented burgers?
>>
Same reasons Canadians think they invented chips, cheese and gravy
>>
>>7837725

>get chest pain every time you go somewhere
>keep going once a month
>>
The only thing philly is good for is heroin

Literally that's it
>>
>>7837654
and now we go full circle
>>
>>7838599
Boxing.
>>
>>7839081
*fictional boxing
>>
>>7837212
Philly invented that specific arrangement of meat and cheese, using a specific cut of meat in conjunction with a specific type of cheese.

And OP is a faggot, because any region's food is basically X arranged/combined with Y in some way.
>>
>>7837590
Retards, fatties, and assholes. It's Chicago except one time zone over and instead of having Go'za, they put cheese whiz on sandwiches.
>>
>>7839238
Tash68?
>>
Where's the best place in Philly to get a cheesesteak?

So far I've had Sonny's, Ishkabibble's and Jim's, Jim's was my favorite by far.
>>
Philly is a great city

Probably my favorite in the US, I like NYC more only because it's more lively
>>
>>7837212
Why do Philly people use wiz or american instead of provolone like midwesterners do?
>>
>>7840002
Most actual Philly cheesesteak spots use melted cheddar for their whiz, I think it's only lousy meme places like Pat's and Geno's that use literal cheese whiz
>>
>>7839989
Ishkabibble's is garbage.
Sonny's is meh.
Jim's is fine.

Best is honestly Mama's in Bala Cynwyd, in Philadelphia proper I actully think the new place, Cleaver's is really fucking good
>>
>>7840002
>implying most non-shitty hoagie shops don't use prov on their steaks
>>
>>7840158
yeah I wasn't a huge fan of Ishkabibble's, I asked a Philly native and he recommended it and I was a little disappointed. Sonny's was slightly better, and Jim's I found to be really good.

On one of my Philly trips I was pretty close to Bala Cynwyd (how the fuck do you pronounce htat?), so I don't think it would be an inconvenience to go there.

I notice that areas outside of Philly proper transition smoothly into Philly so it can be tough to tell as an outsider at first glance whether or not you're in the city. NYC is a lot different, you can tell right away when you're in city limits.
>>
>>7840168
It's pronounced: Ba-la kin-wid

In general, 90% of cheesesteak suggestions from a """philly native""" is garbage. It's a junk food sandwich, so it's not like they're particularly fine dining. I'll take the steak from the right mom and pop pizza shop or food cart because it's cheap and tastes pretty good.

If you can get to Mama's, go. They use their own cheese blend and the steak itself is of pretty good quality. Also Tony Luke's is pretty good imo.

Yeah, Philly and the surrounding burbs really blend well.
>>
>>7840199
It must be either Gaelic or Welsh in origin

And yeah I understand, being from a city doesn't mean your opinion on thing X from that city are automatically valid, I see that all the time here in New York.

I hear the bodegas in North Philly have good cheesesteaks for cheap as well.
>>
The best sandwich in Philly is DiNic's roast beef/roast pork with sharp provolone.

And this is coming from someone who loves cheese steaks
>>
>Phillyfags use gross as hell cheese whiz
>it's the "right way" to do it
>>
I went to Philly 2 years ago and hung out in Fairhill, I had a great time

I've returned to Philly 2 times since then
>>
>>7840260
most of the actual Philly places don't do that to my understanding
>>
How is Passyunk pronounced?
>>
>>7837947
Since when is every few months once a month?
>>
>>7837876
And what reason is that?
>>
>>7837876
Am I the only one who calls those disco fries?
>>
>>7840323

If it's American cheese, it's disco fries in the east, gravy fries in the west.

If it's curds, it's poutine.
>>
File: 348s.jpg (35 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
35 KB, 348x348
The pizza steak is the ultimate form of the cheesesteak
>>
>>7839956
kek
>>
>>7840256
DiNic's roast pork or John's roast pork down in south philly easily rival any cheesesteak

>>7840312
Pass-uh-yunk
The most fun word in philly is clearly Schuylkill though
>>
>>7837243
SAVAGE
>>
>>7837212
who is philly and why are posting crap here?
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7837725
Is that the Port Hueneme location? I go to the Great Central Steak and Hoagie in Camarillo
>>
>>7841254
philadelphia
>>
I fell for the trick once, it was halloween and since I have no friends I decided to see what all the hype about these philly cheesesteaks was about.

got in my car and drove from NY to philly, went to those two meme places. Literal garbage, could have gotten a better tasting sandwich out of the microwave in 7-11
>>
I'll still take an Italian hoagie over a cheesesteak or roast pork
>>
>>7837725
I like the set up here small building selling out the window, id like to own a similar establishment maybe bbq or good all beef hot dogs or something
>>
>>7841503
>good all beef hot dogs
>all beef hot dogs
>good
lolno
All beef is complete shit. Your country's entire population has been Kiked so hard by your Hebraic overlords that you've actually deluded yourselves into thinking all beef hot dogs are even passable, never mind actually good.
And this is coming from a technically Jewish guy. Beef hot dogs are fucking shit. Go pork or go home.
>>
>>7840312
Native South/Southwest Philadelphians say Pash-yunk, like 'passion' only the 'ion' part swapped out for 'yunk.'
Non-SP Philly natives tend to say Pass-uh-yunk or Pass-ee-yunk.
Newcomers say Pass-yunk.

Blacks used to say "the Yunk" because of The Passyunk Projects, which used to be behind where Quartermaster Plaza is now.

I say pussy yank.
>>
>>7841564
To be clear, "The Yunk" usually means Manayunk to most people, just that blacks that grew up in SP and SWP used to use 'the Yunk' to refer to the Passyunk PJs, but don't anymore.
>>
>>7839997
Philly is infested with niggers.
>>
dunno, but meat and cheese is a deadly combo. Too much sat fat and cholesterol.
>>
>>7842110
Dietary cholesterol does not correlate to blood cholesterol
>>
>>7842116
It most certainly does. The egg lobby does studies where they have people eat like one egg a day and then measure their cholesterol. And of course only one egg won't do much. So the egg lobby proclaims dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol! Which is absolute nonsense. If they ate 2-3 eggs a day, there would be a significant increase in blood cholesterol.
>>
>>7841392
Everyone knows those two places are garbage, plus the owner of Geno's is a xenophobic retard
>>
>>7842105
>shitposting this hard
>>
>>7842671
You mean the guy who's been dead for about half a decade now? That guy?
>>
>>7837212
That looks like vomit covered in puss

Seriously, who eats this
>>
>>7843257
Midwesterners. They think this is how Philadelphia makes them.
>>
>>7837243
That shit was made in England you fucktard
>>
>>7843562
Lol exactly. The liberty bell wasn't even cast in America, thanks England for your shitty metal.
>>
>>7837212
We didn't invent meat with cheese, we invented chipped steak on a roll with whiz.
>>
>>7837243
>Ha, you fucks can't even perfect bell crafting.

if there were ever fighting words...
>>
which is the rude as fuck place that sends you away if you weren't exactly ready when you got to the window? or didn't order it with their stupid philly nig slang?
>>
>>7843867
Geno's. Don't bother with them, just a bunch of stupid dagos with sub par steaks made for tourists. There are way better places around.
>>
>>7843682
>trying to play this off on england.
Just stop, theres no where on this where our entire country doesn't come out looking like retards if you fight philly over this.
>>
the best thing about philly cheesesteak is that if you didn't enjoy the one you had, there will always be someone from philly to say "where'd you go? THERE!? dude you GOTTA go down to XYZ, it's the only REAL cheesesteak!"

so i conclude that the best cheesesteak is the one you aren't eating. it's a theoretical sandwich. it's enjoyed in the mind.
>>
>>7841249
>Schuylkill
>Old Dutch word meaning killer creek or something
> Pronounce it in Dutch cause I am
>I gotta go near the schuil-kil
> Whazzat?
> schuil-kil. The river.
> Oooh you mean the scoocul???

The Scoocul.
>>
>>7843867
>which is the rude as fuck place that sends you away if you weren't exactly ready when you got to the window
what is wrong with you that you can't decide on literally anything from a place that is famous for serving 1 thing
look up the menu beforehand, get one of the smaller carryout menus, or let people go in front of you until you decide
how is that rude? other people know what they want so why should anyone have to wait just because you're slower than most
>>
>>7844228
and I don't mean YOU I mean whoever gets kicked out of line
>>
the first time i had a philly cheese steak i started dry heaving
>>
I'm from NJ but for some weird reason I've developed a tendency to judge cheesesteaks very harshly. Hell I refuse to eat at quiznos because I had one once from them that fucked it all up.

Anyway, as
>>7840199
this anon says it's a junk food item. One of those cheap and filling things that involve meat and carbs whose specifics vary with region. So the average one isn't very good.

IMO a good to great cheesesteak just needs to hit a few notes. Cheese needs to be melted throughout. You need to be able to taste the meat and it better not be super dry. The breads got to pair well and be good. The better they do at these the better the cheesesteak.

Note that I have no specific type of cheese requirement. Personally I prefer provolone over anything else and I'm not super fond of whiz. I think you can get way too freaking fancy with cheese though.

One of the best cheesesteaks I had would be looked down by philly pride standards. Different cut of beef, different type of cheese, and a totally different kind of bread. Yet it worked because everything was well balanced.

Basically good food is good food and it isn't worth being too much of a snob.
>>
>>7841249
We have a public park here named 'Dutch kills" Given that the neighborhood was previously predominantly Italian then Greek and now predominantly Bangladeshi I'm pretty sure no one here knows the etymology behind the name at this point.
>>
>>7837237
>never won a Super Bowl
>>
>>7845313
>arbitrary dates where championships count versus don't
>>
>>7844063
No true Scotsman
>>
Bowl America has a better cheese steak than anywhere else in philly, fucking cheese wiz are you kidding me? fucking nasty.
>>
>>7837582
Someone is sensitive about philly. Jesus, it is right what they say about you fucks
>>
>>7841293
It looks like Ventura to me. You're in Camarillo too?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.