[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you make your own chips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: CRISPS.jpg (756 KB, 1497x1065) Image search: [Google]
CRISPS.jpg
756 KB, 1497x1065
Do you make your own chips?
>>
Why would I? Who on earth aside from Martha Stewart herself would actually spend four hours and all that mess to make what you can buy in a bag for $2.99 and get great results every time. Pointless project.
>>
>>7835671
Baked or fried corn tortilla chips are pretty gud, never made potato ones though.
>>
>>7835681
>four hours and all that mess

I just slice potatoes with a mandolin, toss them into hot oil and fish them out once golden brown. Spread on paper towels if you want to remove grease. Takes like ten minutes total, with 1-2 minutes actual work.
>>
>>7835681
You can make potato chips in the microwave, dude.
>>
>>7835681

Because it's fucking easy, really quick, and tastes much better than what you buy in a bag for $2.99

-turn on deep fryer (or start heating oil in a pot)
-slice potato using a mandoline
-fry potato until crispy
-season
>>
>>7835917
You can? How do they taste?
>>
>>7836117
Surprisingly decent. Spread them out on a plate and nuke for 30-60 seconds.
>>
>>7835706
And the result is much tastier than crappy $3 chips.
>>
>>7836146
I have become interested
>>
>>7835671
Aww man, I love making chips. I thought I was doing something special by slicing potatoes really thin, rinsing, drying, then frying in bacon fat and olive oil. Turned out I made some of the best chips I've ever had.

If you leave them thicker, then you actually can do the thing I was trying to accomplish, it turns out to have a little more chew and makes a good side to eat with a fork.
>>
>>7836289
The whole rinsing, soaking in salt water and drying business always leaves me with floppy chips, when I throw them in the oil straight after cutting they turn out crispy every time, with a very few being slightly soft.
>>
File: fatdogonsand.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
fatdogonsand.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
>>7836117
https://youtu.be/unMc3K4_2-s

Haven't done it myself but seems gud enough
>>
>>7835671
slice potatoes
put in cold water for 20min
dry them
fry them
>>
>>7837708
>put in cold water for 20min
>dry them

Waste of time, fry right after cutting.
>>
>>7837483
I figure washing off some of the starch, then putting on layers between paper towels works just fine. Curious about completely cutting out that step and going straight to the fryer though.

Any input? (preferably with reasons or personal experience of doing both instead of blind contrarianism)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.