[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does /ck/ think of coconut oil? just started using the stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3
why does /ck/ think of coconut oil? just started using the stuff myself.
>>
Olive oil tastes better
>>
hipster meme
pure saturated fat
>>
You should use palm oil

Don't want all that rain forest being burnt down for nothing do you?
>>
>>7834321
Great sex lube. Never used it for cooking.
>>
>>7834321
I use it on my skin and boipussy when I get fucked
>>
>>7834357

Palm oil is just as bad for environmental impact.
>>
Expensive.
>>
>>7834408
Agreed. Also good for desserts.
>>
I use it for stretching my ears, works wonders
>>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22250656
When scientists were studying fish oil and trying to determine the positive cognitive effects of it, they used coconut oil as their placebo.
Surprisingly, cognitive benefits were noted in the placebo group regarding cognitive processing speed. However, keep in mind this is only a single double-blind study.

>>7834338
>pure saturated fat
Saturated fat, as an all-inclusive category, has not yet been shown to beneficially or adversely affect heart health. That being said, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated have been shown to improve heart health. So saturated fats are worse RELATIVE to the unsaturated fats, but they are not bad in and of themselves.
>hipster meme
can't argue with that
>>
>>7834654
Not really, I picked up a jar for $4 at aldi, shit will probably last a year or more.

I use it for

lime cilantro rice for my Chipitole-style burritos

Certain Indian dishes such as coconut curry

pan frying coconut shrimp

a tiny bit over my coffee to aid brew (very effective)

that's about all I use it for
>>
>>7834581
How are the results? Seems like something I need to know about
>>
>>7834779
It's good for making popcorn too
>>
>>7834782
It's great for fucking, but ever better as a skin rub, especially if you have stretch marks, hyperpigmentations or some other scars.
>>
>>7834782
I believe the scientific consensus is that coconut oil is extraordinarily good for your skin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15724344
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19134433
>>
I like to use it in frying.

We process it here so it is cheaper than imported cooking oils.

If you live anywhere that you get it in cubes because your climate is so cold then you are definitely a damn hipster.
>>
Mods actually warned me for making a thread about it.

Fucking retarded /ck/ mods.
>>
>>7834878

I have been getting warnings for harassing that grill that shitposts on here.

I think she is the mod. Which will explain a lot.
>>
Coconut in all forms is disgusting.
>>
>>7834915
Which one?
>>
File: 1429755405331.png (123 KB, 612x563) Image search: [Google]
1429755405331.png
123 KB, 612x563
>>7834941
>>
>>7834584
That's what he's saying
>>
>>7834915
I wouldn't worry, I think all of us harass that demon.
>>
>>7834778
Sarurated fat consumption has been associated with increased serum levels of LDL Cholesterol. Ergo, it is associated with increased risk of heart disease. Source, the academy of nutrition and dietetics.
>>
>>7834849
Frying foods with Sarurated fat, enjoy your heart disease faggot.
>>
>>7834943
I want to cum inside a Shy Girl
>>
>>7834972
>>7834976
Yes yes heart disease. Yes yes cholesterol...
however...
Saturated fats do increase cholesterol levels RELATIVE to polyunsaturated fats. It should be noted that in any study done on macronutrients (fat, carbs, or protein) removal of a macronutrient must be met with inclusion of another in order to balance calories out. Many studies replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats, which tend to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels. This may lead to the conclusion that saturated fats raise them, when the possibility that they are inert is completely viable.

Here are some recent studies and meta-analysis of previous studies that state that saturated fats do not increase risk for heart disease or increase cholesterol on their own.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21733329
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351774

In fact, there are studies that suggest that coconut oil and other MCT oils may aid those that are moderately overweight in weight loss, waist circumference, and insulin sensitivity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17570262
>>
>>7834915
I have been posting here a bit and I don't remeember being harassed
>>
>>7835017
>Siri-Tarino again, and Ronald motherfucking Krauss ("Dr. Lard")
>Mozaffarian (same guy from the butter thread)
Make it stop, please.
>>
>>7834321
Everyone I know cooks with it, and I'm fucking sick of it. I want my food to taste like food, not like a soggy, mushy Pina colada flavoured nightmare.
>>
>>7835064

Fits or gtfo
>>
it's clarified butter for posers better for cosmetics than kitchen desu
>>
>>7835017

>Here are some recent studies and meta-analysis of previous studies that state that saturated fats do not increase risk for heart disease or increase cholesterol on their own.

And they're disregarded by the rest of the medical community because they're full of flaws

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp#.V3VWEFNriUk

>A report appeared in the Annals of Internal Medicine that raised questions about the saturated fat-heart disease link. However, that report has been heavily criticized by experts in the scientific community and the authors have issued several corrections and explanations.

The second link you posted was funded by the dairy industry and prominent heart-health experts wrote in to address the errors its authors made

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/3/497.full
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/458.full.pdf

>It is well established that saturated fat intake is associated with increased concentration of serum cholesterol (4), and that serum cholesterol concentrations are associated with CHD and CVD (5). Therefore, serum cholesterol concentrations lie on the causal chain between saturated fat intake and CHD and CVD and to adjust for serum cholesterol concentrations in a meta-analysis will obscure the effect of saturated fat intake on these health outcomes. Yet 7 of the 16 studies included in the meta-analysis of CHD events, and 4 of the 8 studies included in the meta-analysis of stroke events, were adjusted for serum cholesterol concentrations. These studies accounted for nearly half of all CHD and CVD events included in the meta-analyses (see Table 1). Adjustment for serum cholesterol concentrations will inevitably bias the estimates of effect of saturated fat intake toward the null hypothesis.

Studies also replace saturated fats with carbohydrate and monounsaturated fats, and saturated fats still show an increase in LDL.
>>
>>7834976
Hello baby boomer
>>
>>7835092
>And they're disregarded by the rest of the medical community
I mean if we're gonna quote heart dot org and nutrition dot org instead of actual studies, let's go as cherry pickin pleb as we can go here -

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20140320/dietary-fats-q-a

>Saturated fats, long thought to raise heart disease risks, had no effect. Neither did monounsaturated fats, which are thought to help the heart, says study researcher Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, at the Harvard School of Public Health.

>Which fats did have an effect? Trans fats, known to raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, were linked with a higher risk of heart disease, as expected. Omega-3s from food helped. Omega-6s appeared to help.

I'm pretty sure that science is telling us the following:
Good - polyunsaturated
Neither good nor bad - monounsaturated, saturated
Bad - Trans
>>
It's not good for everything. It makes really good popcorn chicken though. If you get dark meat, dry it off, put it in an egg wash and then flour (I like flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, make like a teeny bit of rosemary, and most importantly cumin.) So good.
But some stuff is better off with olive oil (even then, olive oil burns fast so you should suck it up and use vegetable oil.)
The flavor of coconut oil helps enhance other flavors though, I think.
>>
>>7835148

>I mean if we're gonna quote heart dot org

Which is the American Heart Association

>and nutrition.org

Which is the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the journal your second link was published in

>http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20140320/dietary-fats-q-a

This is reporting on the study that the AHA acknowledged and dismissed. Here's another Harvard researcher, the head of Harvard's School of Public Health, Walter Willett, asking for that paper to be retracted due to all of its errors.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/

And Frank B. Hu, who co-authored one of the papers you linked, clarifying that his research doesn't mean to say that saturated fats aren't unhealthy

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/

Saturated fats and trans fats are both in the unhealthy category, polyunsaturated and to a lesser extent monounsaturated are considered good.
>>
File: 1467157145310.jpg (96 KB, 543x799) Image search: [Google]
1467157145310.jpg
96 KB, 543x799
It's not very good for you but it tastes good, has a high smoke point and it's cheap
>>
>>7834408
>>7834581
>>7834782
>>7834792

So THAT'S why Costco stocks huge tubs of the stuff...
>>
>>7835148
Mozaffarian again
Wew lad
>>
>>7835166
From your link -
>People who replace saturated fat (mainly found in meats and dairy foods) in their diets with refined carbohydrates do not lower their risk of heart disease, according to a new study led by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. On the other hand, those who replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats (found in vegetable oils and nuts) or whole grains lower their heart disease risk.

Like I said, they neither lower nor increase CHD risk on their own, only when compared to "healthy" fats do they appear unhealthy.
>>
>>7835213

>>On the other hand, those who replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats (found in vegetable oils and nuts) or whole grains lower their heart disease risk.
>“In terms of heart disease risk, saturated fat and refined carbohydrates appear to be similarly unhealthful.”

The fact that refined/processed carbs are also unhealthy doesn't mean saturated fats are neutral. They're both bad for you.
>>
>>7835213
>>7835225
You two are both being black and white over what is really quite a simple thing:

More than about 20g of saturated fat per day is bad for you, less than 20g of saturated fat per day is generally good for you, assuming your cardiovascular system is in good order.

Not much more to it than that
>>
>>7835239

Really, the less the better
>>
>>7835085

>butter

Only if you live where coconut trees don't grow.

You will be hard pressed to solidify coconut oil in the west indies without refrigeration
>>
Nothing is better than a over easy egg fried in coconut oil in the morning.
>>
>>7835225
>They're both bad for you.

Jesus christ, you dudes on /ck/ oversimplify the hell out of health, your diet is very situational. A 2000 calorie diet might be ideal for a couch potato, but it'll likely be shit for an athlete, i.e. if you're running marathons. Saturated fats aren't the spawn of the devil, they're a necessary part of your diet in some regards from what I understand. http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/FatsSaturated.html
>>
>>7835400

We're not talking about the amount of calories, but the effects of the food those calories are coming from. Things that raise the chances that you'll develop diseases or die prematurely are bad for you. Why sugar-coat it?

> Saturated fats aren't the spawn of the devil, they're a necessary part of your diet in some regards from what I understand.

They're literally non-essential. Your body has no requirement for dietary saturated fats, although it would basically be impossible to get 0 saturated fats in your diet anyway since all foods contain some amount of fat, which contains some amount of saturated fat. The goal is to eat as little as you can.
>>
>>7835240
Except that is wrong.
>>
>>7835423

Oh, okay
>>
I use it in place of butter for frying sometimes. It has an identical smoke point. So it works well for eggs and won't kill you as fast.
>>
>>7835416
>They're literally non-essential

Links. I've read somewhere that they're important for more physically active people.

Also, I brought up the calories as an analogy, I know we're not talking about calories. I guess I usually only consider diet in terms of the influence on body composition, though, so I wasn't considering that. I should probably be thinking more about the influences of food on everything else.

But, my point still stands, people talk about diet as if it's black and white, but it's entirely situational to the person that you're considering. You might be right about saturated fats being unconditionally less preferred, but I'm gonna need a source on that.
>>
>>7835459

From the National Academies of Sciences/Institute of Medicine

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422

>Saturated fatty acids are synthesized by the body to provide an adequate level needed for their physiological and structural functions; they have no known role in preventing chronic diseases.
>A UL is not set for saturated fatty acids because any incremental increase in saturated fatty acids increases CHD risk.
>>
>>7834321
Use it for wanking and also occasionally if I'm making something coconut based like thai curries
supposedly better for frying than olive oil anyway
>>
>>7834976
Frying is much safer when done with saturated fats, polyunsaturated fats are the worst type of fat to fry with due to the large amount of carbon carbon double bounds which are more likely to be homolytically cleaved at frying temperature resulting in the formation of damaging free radicals.

Saturated fats have higher smoke points
>>
You're all a bunch of meme spouting faggots. Thinking something is either bad or good for you, what are you, 12?
>>
>>7835191
No they do that because hipsters buy it and put it in everything they eat/make, eat it raw, put it in their hair, fucking everything
>>
>>7835519

Not carbs, specifically processed carbs like sugar and white flour
>>
>>7835513
Go drink a gallon of bleach for me and report back to me with how it's safe in moderation.
>>
>>7835539
Go drink a gallon of your boyfriend's semen, cuck.
>>
>>7835539

A gallon of bleach is not moderation.

However, the trace amounts of chlorine found in tap water is moderation.

Do you understand now?
>>
I use it for many things. It is great for frying since it is very temperature stable. Use it for coating wooden cutting boards for the same reason.
>>
>>7835562
Oh and stay the fuck away from hydrolyzed industrial fat. That shit clogs your arteries.
>>
>>7835557
>the trace amounts of chlorine found in tap water is moderation.
I wonder who is behind this post
>>
>>7835557

This people don't understand moderation

>this just in bananas are good for you
>population of america starts eating 20 lbs of banana a day and 2 gallons of banana smoothies
>this just in bananas cause diabetes and tooth decay
>Americans cut out bananas totally and start petitioning for the ban of their sale while screaming at south Americans on the internet who post recipes involving bananas
>>
Better than cannabutter for edibles.
>>
>>7835557
That's fucking hilarious because American tap water was recently changed to 4-5% chlorine. YES THAT'S BLEACH.

Brewers can't use it, it kills yeast, people with allergies are losing skin and their lung function is going to shit. Plants are doing SHIT this year too.

Keep pressing us about how great your water is, gov'mint.

I'm severely allergic to it. Tell me how the fuck it's "OK IN MODERATION?"
You don't just serve a kid with a peanut allergy a "SINGLE PEANUT."
You fucking government shilling faggots are going to hang for telling people that this is safe.

>fluoride removed
>immediately replaced with bleach

How blind do you think we are? No one is drinking your bleach, water filters are simply selling better.
>>
>>7835692
I don't think you understand how this works. The maximum amount of chlorine allowed in water by law is 4 mg/L. That's 0.0004% chlorine. They might take it as high as 6 mg/L for a "burnout" to remove biofilm from inside distribution lines, but not for more than a week. Most places run 1.5-3 mg/L depending on what types of chlorine they're using and how large their distribution area is. The goal is to have at least 0.2 mg/L free chlorine or 0.5 mg/L chloramines at the furthest tap from your injection point. Most places run slightly higher to provide a little wiggle room. This is mandated by the Safe Drinking Water Act and is highly regulated. There is a reason unsafe water makes the news in the US, and it's because it is very rare. Very few systems use bleach, gaseous chlorine is the standard. If you have chlorine taste or odor problems contact your water supplier and let them know, if they don't do anything contact your state regulatory agency.
>>
>>7835692

I'm not shilling for the gov, anon. I'm with you on that argument.

But you clearly have little idea what you're talking about. 4% clorine in tap water? Lol, no. It's a miniscule fraction of that. 4 ppm maybe.

>>flouride removed
>>replaced with bleach
those are two separate things altogether. And both are commonly used. The fluoride is for tooth enamel protection. The chlorine is for preventing the growth of pathogens. They have completely separate functions, and one does not "replace" the other.
>>
>>7835692
>allergic to chlorine
no
>>
>>7834581
please be in london
>>
Overpowers almost everything you make using it and makes the dish taste like pure coconut

Fuck coconut oil
>>
>>7835673
DUDE
>>
>>7835936
>Fuck coconut oil
Thats what its used for senpai
>>
>>7835598
jews
>>
>>7835771
You can have your dentist do a fluoride treatment. If I remember correctly it's not as beneficial for your teeth diluted over time.
>>
>>7834321
>>7834338
I don't even cook with them. They are great for your skin
>>
I just eat by a spoonful or put it in my coffee for the MCT oils. It's great for skin and great for anal.
>>
>>7835771

>tfw when we drop 1 lbs of chlorine in a 10'000 gallon pool it nearly kills you just out of the aroma alone
>>
>>7835367
Then it is used more intuitively in their cooking than I have had it experienced. It does have uses like popping corn.
>>
>>7834321
Getting it on my crotch makes me break out. A shame, though - it's a great lube.
>>
I use it on my hair and face once a week. I don't cook with it.
>>
Are you people seriously using a cooking product as a sexual lubricant?
>>
>>7838371
I have a friend who keeps a jar of coconut oil by his bed and makes no effort to put that shit away when anyone is over.
>>
>>7838371

What's the problem with that? Many sex writers recommend things like olive oil for lube & massage purposes. Besides which, it's pretty obvious that if it's safe to contact the inside of your mouth then it's safe to contact mucus membranes elsewhere. Just be careful with things like chocolate, cream, or honey as those could feed bacterial growth if not washed off when you're done playing.
>>
>>7838380

Pepper sauce is quite nice to spice up a dish but I would never put a drop of that near my peepee.
>>
>>7834321
Makes a great, healthy lubricant.
>>
>>7838371
just tried it today because of all the mentions, im uncircumsized so it wasnt that much of a change but felt p good
>>
>>7838393

Some people are into that, believe it or not.

Also, note that I said "safe", not "suits your personal preference"
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.