[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interstellar Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1442692539854.jpg (304 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1442692539854.jpg
304 KB, 1800x1200
You're going to be hurled through space on a colony ship.

What 5 ingredients do you take with you from earth to supplement your colonists diet on the new world?

Assume that the new destination has meat herbs and vegetables of unknown quantity and quality.

(salt and pepper is already provided)

I'd take;

Butter (probably no cows, more uses than milk)
Garlic (unique taste, lots of uses)
Onion (as above)
Potato (starch that can go with almost any animal)
Chilli peppers (spice may be unique to earth, can mask poor taste from local foods)
>>
File: a-thrusday-dar-17.jpg (57 KB, 500x562) Image search: [Google]
a-thrusday-dar-17.jpg
57 KB, 500x562
>>7832488
Your question is poorly wrought. There are some fundamental issues with the way that you have framed things.

Firstly, there's no reason to assume that there are animals or plants on any other world. This is primarily an issue of classification, living things may well exist on millions of other planets, but they would not be animals or plants no matter how similar they were to Earth life unless they share the same origins (look up cladistics if you're interested in why this might matter). In any case, living things on other planets might be entirely inedible for basic bio-chemical reasons. This depends on the 'universality' of Earth's biology. If there is a strong tendency for hydro-carbon based biology in the universe then it's more likely that living things on other planets would be edible, and some of them palatable.

That doesn't mean that the bio-chemistry of non-Earth life would tend toward Earth-like flavor, scent or other characteristics of human cuisine. This is largely due to the fact that humans evolved on Earth and, as such, our palates are shaped by the available edible plants and animals. Non-Earth life may seem uninteresting or bland or actually unappealing simply because our own senses are not evolved to be attracted to their shape, size, color, odor, flavor or other characteristics.

So, in conclusion, I would bring the basics to ensure health and enjoyment of foods but this would require far more than five ingredients. I could easily list 50 and still be short in some important areas.
>>
>>7832598

You must be fun at parties.
>>
So the crew and colonists will subsist entirely on potatoes?
>>
File: Foucault5.jpg (15 KB, 244x300) Image search: [Google]
Foucault5.jpg
15 KB, 244x300
>>7832606
I usually attend parties composed of anthropologists, archaeologists, biologists and anatomists or entirely different parties composed of restaurant staff.

At neither sort of function am I the least fun person.
>>
>>7832635

>What 5 ingredients do you take with you from earth to supplement your colonists diet on the new world?

>Assume that the new destination has meat herbs and vegetables of unknown quantity and quality.

What about this is hard to understand?
>>
>>7832745
>Assume that the new destination has meat herbs and vegetables of unknown quantity and quality.

This is a low probability assumption. You can assume it but any real attempt at interplanetary colonization that makes this assumption is setting itself up for massive failure.
>>
>>7832646
Probably because you're the best of a shit bunch.
>>
>>7832827
I expect that your opinion, coming as it does on an anonymous image board devoted to Bhutanese sex comix, is entirely valid.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 522x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 522x391
>>7832488
grape vines, hops, barely, malt, yeast
>>
>>7832913

Mah nigger.
>>
>>7832913
Amend: no malt, Apple seeds
>>
>>7832869

>barley
>malt

pick one
>>
File: image.gif (96 KB, 384x477) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
96 KB, 384x477
>>7832945
Bit too late w the clever snark fuck boi
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.