[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
explain to me why its so easy to transform tofu into a copycat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tofu.jpg (180 KB, 1024x875) Image search: [Google]
tofu.jpg
180 KB, 1024x875
explain to me why its so easy to transform tofu into a copycat of most foods
>>
>>7832143
It literally tastes like nothing.
>>
You can shape it.
It will keep it's shape during cooking.
Taste is mildly bland, so you can "hide" it.
>>
I don't think that's true at all.

You can use it copycat certain meats and vegetables in certain applications, but I certainly wouldn't say you could do it for "most foods".
>>
>>7832143

It doesn't work for 'most foods'.

Basically, it comes in a variety of types - silken, soft, medium, firm, x-firm, etc. It has a mild taste. It absorbs other flavors well, especially when prepared by pressing/freezing/baking first. So you can use it in certain dishes fairly well. For example, silken tofu as a base for chocolate mousse, or as a base for smoothies, in pies, etc.

Now, if you chemically remove the protein from the soy instead of making tofu per-se, you can use the resulting defatted soy flour to make pretty convincing substitutes for things like ground beef.
>>
>>7832143
it tastes like whatever you add to it.
>>
>>7832143
its made of oil
it tastes like oil
people are going to eat it and nottice the consistency and the taste of the sauce
>>
>>7833729
>its made of oil

wat

tofu is made from curdled soy milk.
>>
It's not. Tofu is exactly what it is. It comes in different textures and is easily adapted to many recipes, but you pretty much always know you're eating tofu. And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with tofu. I love to add it to soups, stews, stir fries, and curries.

>>7832151
Just blanch it for a bit to get rid of the smell, that's where that "tofu taste" mostly comes from. I do this when I'm making tofu dishes for others, but rarely bother with it myself because I don't actually mind the "tofu taste."
>>
>>7833729
>it tastes like oil
don't post if you've never had it
>>
It's like that pink pokemon dildomon. It can transform into anything.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.