[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American here. Is this worth 7$ USD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: 20160628_160849.jpg (545 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160628_160849.jpg
545 KB, 2048x1152
American here. Is this worth 7$ USD?
>>
File: Egg_sandwich.jpg (340 KB, 1143x788) Image search: [Google]
Egg_sandwich.jpg
340 KB, 1143x788
>>7829107
I would also like to know this as an American. I might buy some off Amazon, also is pic related worth it?
>>
>>7829107
Fellow American here, if you like salty shit, then yes, it is.
>>
>>7829107
$7 for that tiny jar? Fuck no
>>
>>7829130
Is that good? Because i've always wanted to try it.
>>
>>7829107
Australian here, no it's not worth $7 USD. Don't get me wrong, I love the shit (probably because I grew up eating it) but $7 seems a bit steep.
If you used the correct amount of it per slice of toast then that jar would last fucking ages, but I've seen how much people outside of Aus slather on per slice so it probably wouldn't last very long.
>>
>>7829155

No idea, it looks good. Amazon has it, if someone weighs in and vouches for it I'm going to go ahead and get it.
>>
>>7829107
>220g
>7 USD
>9.46 AUD
neither objectively or subjectively. it tastes bad.
>>
>>7829107
European living in America now. It's 2.5x more expensive here for me and it's still worth it.
>>
File: vegemite-toast[1].jpg (54 KB, 731x313) Image search: [Google]
vegemite-toast[1].jpg
54 KB, 731x313
>>7829160
>If you used the correct amount of it per slice of toast then that jar would last fucking ages, but I've seen how much people outside of Aus slather on per slice so it probably wouldn't last very long.
Yeah, seriously. A 220g jar like OPs lasts me about 2 months.
>>
>>7829181
>this pic

Take note my American friends, this is how it is meant to be eaten.
>>
>>7829107
Where are you buying it from that it costs 7 dollarydoos?
>>
>>7829213
Local base commissary

We have international markets in my city but none of them are European
>>
>>7829107
Even if you don't like it, it makes an awesome addition to stocks, soups, etc.
>>
Not really. 7 USD is like a 125% markup
>>
7 bob is nothing if the jar lasts even a month.

Toast then butter then a bit of vegemite. Absolute heaven.
>>
>>7829130

My wife brought some back from Norway.

It was pretty interesting: a little fishy, a touch salty, and just the faintest sweetness to it.

I enjoyed it on toast or with cucumber slices and a bit of lemon and pepper.
>>
I'm not sure if I've had Vegemite before, but Marmite is good stuff.

Very salt with a soy sauce-like taste. I have a jar and haven't had any in a while, definitely going to have some on toast tomorrow.
>>
I know a S. African guy who would spread Vegemite on toast with butter then liberally sprinkle biltong "dust" (essentially the shavings from cut beef jerky) on top. Sounds amazing.
>>
>>7829739
I eat it with plain congee.
>>
File: fastshow.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fastshow.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7829181
>>7829202

Vegemite is the weak, sissy cousin of Marmite. Start with vegemite then when you want a stronger taster start on marmite.

Get a knife's worth and stir it in to a bowl of porridge.
>>
>>7829130
This is sold at ikea
>>
>>7829160
I must be the only Australian that loves a fuckton of Vegemite.
>>
>>7830246
nice gif, thanks for sharing. How would you compare the flavor profiles between the two spreads?
>>
>>7830290
Sharp, salty and savory. Not an aquired taste, but close. They are both pretty similar, but marmite ist he stronger and thicker of the two pastes.

Put on toast with a thick, creamy cheese, in porridge.
>>
File: 154154.png (121 KB, 530x375) Image search: [Google]
154154.png
121 KB, 530x375
>>7830246
my brother in arms

>tfw marmite on butter laden vogels paired with a pumpkin soup
>>
It's not worth $0.01

Fuck even free I'm not too sure
>>
You could buy a house in England for $7 USD now
>>
File: fassburton.jpg (75 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fassburton.jpg
75 KB, 1024x683
>>7830382
Appreciate the sentiment anon, but besides butter and pumpkin I have zero fucking clue what the rest of that stuff is.
>>
>>7830290
>How would you compare the flavor profiles between the two spreads?
Vegemite has more velvety texture, Marmite is more sticky machine grease goo like. The same applies to their respective flavour, they are quite similar but also different enough people easily form preference for one or the other.

For me between the two I'll always pick Vegemite first. You won't hear a word of complaint from me when Marmite is the only option available, but it's just a notch behind for me.

On the other hand, all other (a total of 3 if I remember right) yeast spreads which I won't name that I tried have been utter shite, to the point that I tossed near-full jars of them in the bin.
>>
>>7830526
Promite isnt the worst but its way too sweet. Vegemite is definitely the best spread though
>>
>>7830187
>congee
I threw up a little.
>>
>>7830390
I kek'd harder than I should have (and thought the same thing)
>>
>>7829181
>see Vegemite and Marmite at one of those overpriced health food stores my brother loves going to

>Marmite is cheaper, so get that
>spread it on like third option, not knowing any better
>haven't eaten it since

Well, maybe that's not entirely true. I did, long after that, use it to make "gravy".

Marmite+water+flour. Don't know how to cook at all. Was just reheating some leftover poultry and wanted a gravy, so I experimented. Shockingly, considering it explicitly said it was a vegetarian product, it tasted like a beef gravy.
>>
Just make it yourself: reduce beer lees with mirepoix.

Be careful of boilovers, it will do its damndest to boil over.

Refrigerate the homemade stuff as you probably won't get the mix quite right.
>>
>>7829130
>>7829155
Like vegemite, its an aquired taste. I can't eat the amount that I saw Swedes eating, but in small amounts I like it. I havent had it in a while, but iirc it has a salty sweet fish taste. Its not the worst food they sell in tubes.

That being said I can eat vegemite by the spoonful, but I wouldn't recommend doing that to others.
>>
>>7830390
Vogels is a bread brand only sold in New Zealand. shits top tier
>>
File: bovril.jpg (140 KB, 833x952) Image search: [Google]
bovril.jpg
140 KB, 833x952
Step aside lads, patrician taste coming through, make way!

(Marmite is also acceptable)
>>
marmite is 100 times better. Vegemite tastes like burnt onions and throwup. Marmite is umami heaven.
>>
File: marmite.jpg (24 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
marmite.jpg
24 KB, 240x160
Vegemite is shit, senpai. Marmite is where it's at and with the pound crashing you could buy gallons of the stuff for next to nothing.
>>
File: 094905_laff.jpg (17 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
094905_laff.jpg
17 KB, 265x300
>>7834932
>Bovril is comparable to Vegemite and Marmite.
You're a fucking idiot, son.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.