[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the safest and cheapest way to eat lots of fish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
What's the safest and cheapest way to eat lots of fish? I used to eat tons of canned tuna before my mom scared me away from it with mercury stories, now all I get is the occasional packaged of smoked salmon which is pretty pricey
>>
>>7828175
http://www.seafoodwatch.org

And go fishing yourself. It's great.
>>
It's never a bad idea to add anchovies to your frozen dinner before microwaving it.
>>
File: talbacaresi45217-001headclo.jpg (84 KB, 526x396) Image search: [Google]
talbacaresi45217-001headclo.jpg
84 KB, 526x396
>>7828201
It's stinky
>>
>>7828214
Shush. You'll be alright
>>
Just look at prices in your grocery store? I live in Europe and the cheapest fishes here are Alaska pollock (lean, low mercury), cod (lean, low mercury), pangasius (lean, moderate mercury) and herring (oily, moderate mercury). These cost less than or just about the same as chicken breast. Canned tuna is moderate mercury but more expensive than these fishes. Herring is commonly sold for raw consumption, either salted or in brine, so this is the easiest way since you don't have to cook them like the frozen ones. But all this is not going to apply in other parts of the world.
>>
Probably sardines. Lower on the food chain than tuna so they don't accumulate toxins like mercury as much, and cheap.
>>
>>7828209
can i put them on my 'go 'za?
>>
>>7828232

Only if it specifically says on the can that they were wild caught in Lake Michigan.
>>
>>7828175
If it's freshwater fish farm raised it should have basically no more mercury than beef or chicken would.
>>
>>7828175
Sardines, clams, mussels, any small fish.

As a general rule of thumb, the bigger the fish the more mercury it has. The higher on the food chain, the more mercury it has.
>>
feeder fish like sardines and smelt will have the lowest levels of mercury
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.