[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you ever made blue cheese or any cheese at home?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: bluecheese4.jpg (118 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
bluecheese4.jpg
118 KB, 350x350
Have any of you ever made blue cheese or any cheese at home? I just ordered a starter kit with calciumchloride, starter, rennet, pennicillium roqueforti and a bunch of plastic stuff for storage etc.

Now Im a bit confused as to what I need to do after I cut the cheese after having added the rennet. Do I just stir for a bit and then get the cheese curd out of the whey and put them in my container or do I put the whey in there as well?

Also maybe if someone has a video tutorial that would be greatly apreciated so I can see how it should look.
>>
>>7827461
>Willing eating mold
>>
>>7827461

You remove the curd from the whey and discard the whey (or use it for something else). Then you press the curd into a form.

Just go on youtube and watch a video of how blue cheese is made.

>>7827464
Yep, tasty as hell.
>>
>>7827469
Ok thanks. I guess youre right about the videos, too. Lots of short documentaries about all kinds of cheese. Basically I can just do the exact same thing and scale it down to kitchen size, cant I?
>>
>>7827461
I have to assume it requires a mold to make that perfect wheel,

Take you curd and put it into the mold, put the whey aside to make ricotta

Put some weight onto your wheel, after its formed you will have to poke holes into the wheel for the blue cheese mould to colonize.
>>
>>7827541
>do the exact same thing and scale it down to kitchen size, cant I?

Yes, of course.
>>
>>7827551

Correct. But OP could easily improvise a mold (say, use an old coffee can or similar with some holes poked in it so the whey can drain out). Or OP could wrap the curds in cheesecloth. IT wouldn't form a perfect wheel shape, but it will still taste just as good.
>>
>>7827551
OP here. Pic related is part of the starter kit I ordered. Should give me a nice enough wheel (or cylinder rather).

Just to be clear: I poke the holes after I remove it from the mold and after I rub it with cheese, right?
>>
File: 1438370792.jpg (50 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1438370792.jpg
50 KB, 1024x1024
>>7827616
>>7827551
whoops
>>
>>7827616
I watched a little documentary a while back, as far as I remember, they poked the holes BEFORE adding the blue cheese mold

That being said my memory isn't the greatest, it couldn't hurt to double check.
>>
Does anyone have any tips on how to store them first after salting when the mold is supposed to grow and then when it needs to mature? How moist does it need to be in each phase? What temperature? Light? How sterile does the environment have to be?

>>7827640
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJDOyk5ZaE

First one I found. Pretty sure they add the mold even before the rennet. There they dont cut any holes at all as far as I can tell, but I assume you should poke them in once the its growing visibly on the outside?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.