[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Waffle Irons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Are waffle irons worth it /ck/? I'm thinking of buying one at the grocery store.
>>
In my experience, no. Just make pancakes instead.

But maybe there are some good waffle irons out there, and I just tried a shitty one.
>>
>>7825545
My dad had some antique one. It was literally from the 30s. Thing made amazing waffles. The wire was covered with cloth instead of rubber and the plug was a weird round shape. Picked up a run of the mill grocery store waffle iron and it sucked. I think it's the kind of thing you need to spend decent money on.
>>
I saw one at the thrift store like 8 dollars and didn't get it because I don't know how to make the mix. Thinking about getting it and just giving it back when I get over it. Can you make anything other than waffles in them?
>>
>>7825545
>>7825577
>>7825597

You need a good waffle iron really. As in ~$100 at least, one that you can flip, similar to the ones at waffle house.

My main problem is finding a syrup that doesnt taste like shit so I can enjoy my waffles
>>
waffles are like french fries.
>>
Just out of curiosity, how would one make waffles without a unitasker?
>>
>>7825628
>My main problem is finding a syrup that doesnt taste like shit

stop getting your syrup from your Mother's fat ass and you should notice a difference
>>
>>7825628
Maple syrup my man.
>>
File: hungry-jack-mix-lgn.jpg (111 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
hungry-jack-mix-lgn.jpg
111 KB, 375x500
>>7825597
>I don't know how to make the mix

Dude, the mix has one ingredient. It's not hard.
>>
>>7825577
I also have one that is ancient, works great. Belgian waffles are good.
>>
>>7825657
for pancakes. For waffles you have to add extra stuff, either oil, butter, applesauce, some other substitute so that it doesn't stick and become a mess.
>>
>>7826166
or you can just spray the fucking iron with some non-stick shit and call it a day
>>
>>7826166
I just learned the other day, was told all it is is alittle veg. Oil. It doesn't need much cause any decent waffle iron is nonstick anyways. We've had the same iron for like 15 years, makes flowers you can divide into 5 hearts. Girly but it works and the waffles are easy to split for the little kids
>>
File: 01-02-wafflemaker.jpg (151 KB, 612x817) Image search: [Google]
01-02-wafflemaker.jpg
151 KB, 612x817
>>7825577
>>7825628
>>7825541
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-waffle-maker/

>>7825628
Stop buying pancake syrup and get real maple syrup. Ideally, Grade A Dark Amber (AKA Grade B). Buy it in bulk online.
>>
>>7825541
If you eat waffles fairly frequently, sure.
I have a flip belgian waffle maker, and I don't use it nearly enough to warrant having it, but oh man, when I do make waffles....hhhnnnnggggg.
>>
>>7825597
Yes, you can make an awesome grilled cheese on a waffle iron, also hash browns.
>>
>>7825628
Get real maple syrup. Yes, it's pricey, but it's worth it. Otherwise, just use honey, OR make your own fruit syrups using blueberries or strawberries.
>>
>>7826281
I should try this
>>
>>7825541
Buy expensive. I bought one for about $200, it flips and makes two waffles at once.

Best thing is that you can use it for a lot of other shit. Put cornbread batter in here and enjoy the best damn cornbread you've ever had in your life. If you're feeling lazy and don't want to use the oven, you can jam almost any kind of baking batter in this thing. Pillsbury cinnamon rolls come out amazing.

>>7825628
Do you just not like syrup? Finding a good, high-grade syrup isn't hard, unless you're just a cheap fucker. If you don't like syrup, try ordering some maple cream or maple butter. It's basically just maple syrup that's been whipped until creamy. I love it.

Or if you want to try something else, you could use fruit spread, marmalade or compote. Although honestly, well-made buttermilk waffles often don't need anything besides a bit of butter.
>>
>Americans and their "one use-only utensils"
Buy a grill pan instead. You can use it for waffles AND other stuff as grilling meat.
>>
>>7827385

Why? Grill pans make crappy waffles, and are even worse for "grilling" meat due to the fact that they only touch the food at the lines and do not heat inbetween them. The only thing a "grill pan" is good for is making fake grill marks.
>>
>>7827385
>he thinks waffle irons only have one use
Oh ye of little imagination.
>>
>>7827395
>>7827406
If you can find other uses for it then that's great, I stand corrected.

But in general, I've noticed Americans are too eager to buy specific utensils that simply get in the way in the kitchen, do you know what I mean?
>>
>>7825541
thrift store and buy one of the many old waffle irons that people get rid of
>>
>>7827416
As an American, not really, no. Just because you see infomercials for a bunch of stupid single-use kitchen gadgets, doesn't mean we all buy them. 90% of that shit ends up unsold in warehouses, and then gets given away for free with other infomercial shit.

My waffle iron is close to the only "single-use" kitchen utensil that I own, and I use it for cornbread, cinnamon rolls, sandwiches, brownies, cookies, hash browns and all kinds of other weird experimental shit. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And besides, even if it was good for ONLY waffles, it'd be worth it, because good waffles are fucking delicious.
>>
>>7826262
Somebody need to invade Quebec and destroy the OPEC of maple syrup.
>>
>>7825577
>The wire was covered with cloth instead of rubber
probably asbestos
>>
>>7827452
How do cinnamon rolls not come out looking like damned waffles? It's a waffle iron, right?
>>
>>7825640
A pizzelle iron can do a few more things
>>
File: w.e..jpg (82 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
w.e..jpg
82 KB, 1000x563
>>7825545
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.