[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raw and cured fish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: ceviche.jpg (64 KB, 525x294) Image search: [Google]
ceviche.jpg
64 KB, 525x294
So I've been playing around with some fish recipes and there are a couple things I want to try. I've wanted to try curing fish, and I want to try making ceviche (raw fish "cooked" by marinating it in citrus). Do I have to go out and buy sushi grade quality fish for this, or is that just more of a marketing gimmick?
>>
>>7824439
I make actual sushi from the fish at my local shoprite. Im actually here to make a thread about that (the sushi) now. Ive never had problems. If it smells good and looks good, try a piece. If you dont get sick, do it again.
>>
>>7824439
For ceviche you want fish that aren't very prone to worms, and where you can easily spot any parasites in the fish and remove them before serving.
>>
>>7824459
I'd assume for fish like salmon and tuna that would be easy to spot, but does that still hold for white fish like sea bass?
>>
>>7824467
Hold fillets of white fish up to a light bulb to spot worms. And use warm water fish, not so much cold water (except flounder, which works fine).
>>
>>7824439
Best fish for this in my opinion are , in order ,
triggerfish,
shrimp,
dorado ( mahi mahi )
super fresh mackerel , the only soft fish I like for ceviche.
>>
>>7825643
I would have thought mackerel would be way too salty for ceviche
>>
>>7824439
>sushi grade

Make sure the fish is labled "All Natural" and "Glutten Free" too
>>
>>7826345
>not knowing the difference between commercial grades of fish

Do you make find 'go 'za posts funny as well?
>>
Mexican here, fish quality doesn't matter much.
>>
>>7826236
fresh raw mackerel is not salty at all
>>
>>7824439
The acid in the lemon kill the bacteria dummy
>>
>>7827629
I'd be more worried about parasites
>>
>>7827635
I heard that freezing fish helps with parasites the most, but I don't know how that would affect the texture at all
>>
>>7827635

Why? When was the last time you actually heard of someone being affected by them? It's incredibly rare. Yet you probably know many people who have been in an auto accident, yet I doubt you are afraid of riding in a vehicle.
>>
>>7828049

Yeah, freezing kills parasites. And most of the fish sold is frozen anyway--it's frozen on the boat immediately as it is caught. that way the boats can stay out at sea longer, rather than having to rush back before the fish spoils. The only time the fish would never be frozen would be if you were dealing with small boats right at the source. So if you live in a fishing town right on the coast and you're dealing with mom-n-pop fishermen you can get never-frozen fish, but if you're shopping at a supermarket that stuff has already been frozen.
>>
Here's my favorite preparation of ceviche. I use tilapia, cod, pollock, or whatever inexpensive fresh white fish is available. Sushi grade fish is not necessary for ceviche, but fresh is very important. If you smell any bit of fishiness from the fish, don't use it for ceviche. Plain and simple.

http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-peruvian-ceviche-111154
>>
>>7826621
No surprise there shitskin.

>>7824439
No, you dont need "sushi grade" anything. But eating raw fish is pretty dangerous.
So there are going to be some niggers saying >"hurr durr muh freshness"
>"frozen fish is mushy hugh"
But come on, would you risk having some lung parasites for keepin it fresh and up to the standars of some medieval paint trading village board?
What i do is freezing the fish trying to avoid 2 things:
1) freezerburns
2) too quick freezin/thawing
The first one can be easily avoided using wax paper, i found that soaking the wax paper yields better results.
The second one is a bit trickier because you need some scheduling and planning ahead. You load up the fish in the fridge and let it sit overnight, then you move it to the freezer and leave it for AT LEAST 4 days, when you are going to use it, move it again in to the fridge let it overnight and then let it sit at room temp for 30 minutes.

And stay the FUCK away from freshwater fish.
>>
>>7824439
>I've wanted to try curing fish
This can be done with any fish without risking your health.
I recommend gravlax.
>>
>>7831054
>would you risk having some lung parasite

Sure. Because those are:
1) incredibly rare. Like winning-the-lottery-rare
and
2) easily treated with modern medicine

Why are people so paranoid about something so unlikely to happen, yet think nothing of doing far more dangerous things every day of their lives?
>>
>>7831213
1) hello nigger according to
>>7831054

2) give some examples of how everybody risk their lives on a daily basis.
>>
>>7832051
>2) give some examples of how everybody risk their lives on a daily basis.

Riding in a motor vehicle (risk of crash)
Using any electricity, like turning on the lights (electric shock)
Going out in public (crime, disease)
Using tools (accident)
Eating food (risk of choking)
Portable electronics (battery explosion)
Sleeping indoors (carbon monoxide poisoning and/or fire)

All of those things are statistically FAR more likely than getting a parasite from sushi, but we do them every day and think little of it. But for some reason some people get scared about muh worms.
>>
>>7824439
You don't need "sushi grade" (whatever the fuck that is) fish for ceviche. Ceviche isn't "raw" as you said it yourself, it is cooked by the acid, so you don't have to worry about diseases like degenerates that eat raw fish. Unless you undercook it of course.
>>
>>7824439
Nah man just don't buy poverty fish. I use salmon . Buy from the supermarket
>>
>>7832068
How retarded are you?

Im truly curious, you must the brightest retard because obviously you can use a computer to post this kind of retard shit.

Some sort of savant retard.
>>
>>7831054
Great so why don't you put yourself in the freezer u fat fuck?
>>
How retarded are you?

Im truly curious, you must the brightest retard because obviously you can use a computer to post this kind of retard shit.

Some sort of savant retard.
>>
>>7831209
This. Gravlax is super easy, and tasty.
>>
>>7833411

Wow, it looks like a struck a nerve. And that's kind of the point, really.

People, such as you, seem to have a crazy idea of risks. You freak about about ZOMG parasites, but if you actually look up the statistics you'll find that things you do every day are are actually more risky.

That doesn't meant that light switches are dangerous. It means that parasites in fish are even less dangerous and you should stop worrying about them. Seriously. Look up the numbers yourself.
>>
>>7828062
http://globalnews.ca/news/2468376/worms-in-homemade-salmon-sushi-blamed-for-canadian-mans-infection/
>>
>>7834807

Dear savant retard:

All those 7 things you listed are inherent of the modern life, we HAVE to do them in order to live within the society. (keyword HAVE).
Eating is inherent of living yet you can choose to eat the most dangerous (statistically speaking) or the innocuous food.

Probably you dont do (except for the electricity bit) most of the things you listed, because you sound like a basement dweller who brags about:
>muh freshnes
>muh sofisticated palate
in a medieval paint trading village board.

It is astonishing how can you put together so many sentences while being that much of a retard.

Quite the gifted savant retard you are.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.