[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MREs, mane.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12
Just ate a 20-year-old pork chow mein MRE. Shit was good except it made my throat feel extra salty and the back of my tongue felt stringent. Taste and flavor were p great, though. What's your favorite MRE, /ck/?
>>
Cheese Tortellini, Chicken and Dumplings, and Beef Patty on Wheat Snack Bread are all really good.

The Veggie Omelette is as bad as everyone says.

That said, other countries like Canada and France have much better "MRE's"
>>
My favorite? Being qualified to work in the private sector, and going to a restaurant.
>>
Have only had the Chili, but it was damn good. Hated the strawberry "shake" that came with it, though.
>>
>>7819158
MRE's aren't cheap.
>>
>>7819158

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>7819129
Chicken and dumplings sounds fucking delicious. Is it current?

>>7819169
Chili is something that sounds like it would be really good as an MRE. I can't remember the other ones I've had aside from escalloped potatoes with ham, which was some good shit.
>>
>>7819089
So, how do you heat those things up again? A packet that gets them to just warm?

They don't sound very good...
>>
>>7819204
If you do it right, you can get a nice, hot meal, and the food usually tastes anywhere from alright to great. They're usually extra good if you've worked all day and are nice and hungry.
>>
>>7819204
You put them in a "flameless ration heater"

You basically put it in a bag with a water activated heater. Then close the bag and put it in a cardboard sleeve or box it comes in/with and lean it up on a rock or something. Then let it heat up for a while.

Some of them are quite alright, it's not ideal but most people who wouldn't be in a situation to heat them up wouldn't care. Some suck, some are surprisingly good.

>>7819199
The one I had was from 2008, I believe. Not sure if it's still in production.
>>
I eat Canadian MREs while camping and the best is the chicken fajitas

Honorable mentions for the sausage patty and the chili if you melt cheese spread into it
>>
>>7819089
I remember eating a bbq pork rib one years ago that was pretty dann good.
>>
>>7819089
i wish i could buy them, i know they are unhealthy and im not planning on feeding on that alone but there is a big appeal on food that i can prepare fast and dont get anything dirty.
Anyone who doesnt see it is either a little kid whose parents cook for him or a spoiled cunt that gets to eat outside for every meal instead of crashing in the couch with a big mac after a long day
>>
>>7819516
What the fuck are you rambling about?
>>
>>7819089
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrtJpgofAc
>>
>>7819189
What's this you've said to me, my good friend? Ill have you know I graduated top of my class in conflict resolution, and Ive been involved in numerous friendly discussions, and I have over 300 confirmed friends. I am trained in polite discussions and I'm the top mediator in the entire neighborhood. You are worth more to me than just another target. I hope we will come to have a friendship never before seen on this Earth. Don't you think you might be hurting someone's feelings saying that over the internet? Think about it, my friend. As we speak I am contacting my good friends across the USA and your P.O. box is being traced right now so you better prepare for the greeting cards, friend. The greeting cards that help you with your hate. You should look forward to it, friend. I can be anywhere, anytime for you, and I can calm you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my chess set. Not only am I extensively trained in conflict resolution, but I have access to the entire group of my friends and I will use them to their full extent to start our new friendship. If only you could have known what kindness and love your little comment was about to bring you, maybe you would have reached out sooner. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now we get to start a new friendship, you unique person. I will give you gifts and you might have a hard time keeping up. You're finally living, friend.
>>
Is there any way to buy a few? I'd like to throw them in my car in case shit happens
>>
>>7820799
he did such a terrible job
>ew, ugh, blah
fucking describe the flavor you dope! don't just make noises
>>
>>7822803
/k/ fag here, I always buy them at gun shows for w few dollars. They're Gulf War era so they're probably older than most users on this site tho.
>>
>>7822844
Probably not as old as the legend of 'go 'za
>>
>>7822803
You can get them on amazon, bromo. Be sure to stay hydrated though.
>>
>>7822803
I wanna say any army surplus store will have them but don't quote me on that
>>
>>7822856
does your amry supless store have 'go'za?
>>
>>7822864
I just want to make this clear, the joke reached its peak when it manifested as spamming shemales all over the board. Now it's actually not funny anymore
>>
>>7822843
You sound incredibly autistic. Do you really need to know the flavor profile of something that's obviously not good anymore?
>>
>>7822872
yes sir!
>>
File: 1392168990427.jpg (517 KB, 500x3205) Image search: [Google]
1392168990427.jpg
517 KB, 500x3205
I can't buy mres because nobody ships them to here (Australia), but from this website in this infographic I've bought shelf stable bridgeford foods to make my own.
>>
>>7822872
A little 'go 'za would make you less of a kill joy
>>
>>7823090
a little less memeing would make you less of a shitposter.

I've never had an MRE but I watched a friend in the army eat a breakfast sausage one over skype and he gagged. anyone had that one? think it had maple syrup or something in it.
>>
>>7823116
He should have had some 'go 'za
>>
>>7823027
>zero fiber

garbage tier macronutrient breakdown too
>>
File: 1361531044572.jpg (915 KB, 1000x3400) Image search: [Google]
1361531044572.jpg
915 KB, 1000x3400
>>7823135
>no fibre
yeah I get snack packs of a multi grain cracker, also high fibre ramen.
the bridgeford stuff is just for shelf stability
>>
File: d2737.jpg (31 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
d2737.jpg
31 KB, 300x450
>>7823116
I'd like some maple syrup with my 'go 'za
>>
File: 1365220112961.jpg (518 KB, 1001x1880) Image search: [Google]
1365220112961.jpg
518 KB, 1001x1880
>>7823145
oops wrong image
>>
>>7823152
>>7823120
Not even that guy, but it sounds like you guys need some bleach with your Chicago style pizza.
>>
>>7823169
>pizza
I thought we had a fucking talk about this you nigger.
>>
File: lenny_is_concerned.png (193 KB, 1184x1641) Image search: [Google]
lenny_is_concerned.png
193 KB, 1184x1641
>>7819089
>>
>>7823175
No, we didn't. Here's your (you).
>>
>>7823184
>le (you) maymay
get me in the /r/4chan screenshot with that epic burnination bro :)))
>>
>>7819395
>rock or something
The packaging literally says that. I'll see if I can find a pic or hopefully one of the other ones will also say it. Also, I think the longest I've seen for anything that isn't a staple is like six years.

>>7819419
I would think the chicken fajita MRE would be shit, but now I really want to try it.

>>7819453
Was it pretty much McRib meat?

>>7819516
Why not get a couple, anon? If you're not in a third world country, you can probably but some from a surplus store or online.

>>7822844
Shit, are the gulf war ones still any good? I got a little scared when I read the shelf life fir mine was only ten years since it was 20-21 years old.

>>7823027
Just buy Australian rations? Unless those aren't available, either.
>>
>>7823183
I'm still not dead. Everything turned out better than I could have expected. Even the chocolate-covered oatmeal cookie was still good, when the brownie I had some years ago tasted soured.
>>
>>7819516
/k/ here. I hope you realize a MRE can be over 3000 calories plus it gives you bad constipation if you consume them for extended periods of time.
>>
>>7819089
There was a Jambalaya one when I was in that was pretty epic. I would trade for it every time if possible. Most were tolerable though. The jalapeno cheese paste that comes with some of them was pretty giid too.
>>
I ate a few of these we had that extended power outage from the hurricane a few years ago. The grocery stores were empty and closed. All I had other than a few canned goods.

They're much better than that dried survival food. You need a lot of water to prepare them and a lot of water to drink because of how salty they are.
>>
>>7823711
>can be over 3000 calories

I call bullshit. Every MRE I have ever seen was under 1500 cals. And I literally did research on MRE packaging when I was in grad school. I handled more MREs than most soldiers do.

Mind you, I'm talking about actual gov't-issue MREs. There may be some "MRE like products" made by 3rd parties for camping or whatever that are different. I know nothing about those. But normal military MREs are nowhere close to 3000 cals
>>
>>7823758

correct sir
you can read the nutrition info right off the package and add it up.

http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/
>>
Best MRE is chili Mac. Most of my MREs came from Hurricane Ike after working it I got to go home with about 4 cases, we keep them at home so we have some emergency food.
>>
>>7823027
>1158 calories

kek. You'd need to eat 3 or 4 a day just to maintain your energy if you were actually attempting to survive.
>>
>>7823814
There is a difference between surviving, and living comfortably.
>>
>>7819089
You're breddy dead, brah
>>
>>7822994
yes I do, why the hell else would someone watch a video of a guy eating crackers and chocolate if not to describe what he's tasting?
you can't just hype something up about how bad it is and then not explain exactly what's so wrong about it
>the canadians hated these
>yup it sucks
>but actually it's not so bad

great video bro, glad it took almost 15 minutes to get that information out
>>
Best MRE is hands down CHILI MAC.

The Army didn't always get a lot of shit right, but chili mac tasted pretty much like something you would make at home.

Good entrees
Chicken with Noodles
Beef Taco (don't trust the tortillas though)
Beef Stew
Vegetarian Cheese Tortellini
Vegetarian Ratatouille
Chicken Pesto Pasta (just don't look at it, you also might have to drink most of it)

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Pork Sausage In Cream Gravy
Maple Sausage

Both are literally encased in grease in the package. No matter how much you heat it, drain it, whatever, you can't get that grease off. If you think fast food is bad, you've never seen this. And doubly bad for the Maple Sausage is that the grease mix also has the maple flavoring in it. So you either eat it or pretend the sausage bar has flavor.

SIDES
Chocolate Peanut Butter (only in Vegetarian Penne Pasta) > Jalapeno Cheese Spread > Bacon Cheese Spread > Peanut Butter > plain cheese spread
>>
>>7823687
>Just buy Australian rations? Unless those aren't available, either.
they're rare as rocking horse shit and are basically just commercially available products anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf5fR6Pu1bo
>>
>>7826040
(cont)

Apple Cinnamon Ranger Bar is good
"Toasted Corn Kernels" aka Corn Nuts
"Beef Snack Strips" and "Turkey Nuggets" = Jack Links; sort of a toss up but not bad
Pound Cakes
Dairy Shakes
"Filled Pretzels" = Combos
Santa Fe Style Rice And Beans

AVOID THE TORTILLAS

Wheat Snack Bread is dry as fuck. Heat it up and it'll become edible.

Heat your cheese before you add it to any entree or side.

Dairy Shakes, Cappuccinos: Don't trust the side measurements for water. Add a little less.

Finally: When in doubt, add tabasco.
>>
>>7823711
Those 3k+ calorie rations usually aren't meant to be eaten in one sitting or even in a single day. Most aren't that high.
>>
>>7826040
I have literally never heard of "chili mac" as a homemade dish that didn't come from a can, or at best a box and a can.
>>
>>7826097
Not the /k/ guy, but >>7826040 >>7826080

If you're out for a while on a field exercise the military will give you 2 a day plus a hot meal.
You'd be surprised how quickly you'll get constipated over the course of a week, and everyone will be talking about it too.
>>
>>7823882
>yes I do, why the hell else would someone watch a video of a guy eating crackers and chocolate if not to describe what he's tasting?
Because his videos are about whether or not the food keeps over time, not how they actually taste. And you're complaining about crackers and chocolate, incredibly generic things he's tasted many times and described in past videos. It gets to a point where he consumed and described them enough to not have to repeat the same information over and over again.

>you can't just hype something up about how bad it is and then not explain exactly what's so wrong about it
Yes you can you entitled sack of shit, especially when, as I stated, it's items he's said his piece about many times already.
>>
>>7826124
>trying to trick me into watching more of his videos
nice try
>>
>>7826097
3K calorie ration packs are indeed meant for a 24 hour period due to the fact that active duty servicemen expend roughly 1000 calories more than a normal person.
In the US anyway, they are expected to get two or three MRE's per day, which is why field stripping is a thing because they often get more of the same shit in all three.
To cut down on waste, they are now producing MORE ration packs which contain nothing but extra nutrition including fresh fruit and soldiers can expect only 1 or 2 MREs and a MORE
>>
I literally just got back from NTC today. Three MREs a day for 15 days. Fuck me.

Also, all the vegetarian entrees are god-tier. Beef with BBQ sauce is also good. Southwest Beef and Beans has chipotle tortillas which makes it top tier.
>>
>>7826155
5 days and 2 MREs was enough for me. I couldn't finish a whole MRE by Day 4.

The second we got back, I took a 30 minute shit. Straight pushing for 30 minutes. That constipation is no joke.
>>
File: 1430127086992.gif (3 MB, 492x283) Image search: [Google]
1430127086992.gif
3 MB, 492x283
Chili mac has always been a favorite of mine.

The shit the next day over is glorious.
>>
>>7826134
eat shit dude, if you actually did, you wouldn't be as fucking ignorant and retarded as you are now, and you'd realize by watching at least his early videos, that he started a youtube channel not to do food reviews but to show off shit to an MRE forum he posts to.
>>
>>7819178
They aren't expensive at $10 each.
>>
I tore into a gulf-war era MRE for /ck/ some years ago. Wish I'd saved that thread from the archives.
>>
>>7826443
I buy them A and B cases at a time. Comes out to about 6 bucks a pop when I get them.
Everyone says the maple sausage one is bad, but its one of my favorites. Tastes kinda like a mcrib. There is also another mcrib one, the beef patty. I love how they always put cheese spread and the twin pack of snack break in there even a fucking white generic pair of ketchup and mustard like someone is actually going to construct a slimy almost-burger out of the MRE componets.
Asian beef strips is the best one, fucking period. This guy talking about fuckin chili mac is objectively wrong. Also, there is literally nothing wrong with the tortillas. I eat them every time. The tuna and tortillas MRE is pretty simple and requires no heating. Shits pretty cash.

>>7826170
Are you a 90 pound girl?
>>
>>7826105
Maybe it's regional. I used to eat it all the time. Sometimes Hamburger Helper, sometimes elbow macaroni, leftover chili and cornbread.

>>7826663
>maple sausage one is bad, but its one of my favorites. Tastes kinda like a mcrib

McRib tastes like ass.

> like someone is actually going to construct a slimy almost-burger out of the MRE componets.

We did do this. That's the fucking point.

>Asian beef strips is the best one

I never had the Asian Beef Strips because I didn't /buy/ MREs. I was issued them.

>Also, there is literally nothing wrong with the tortillas

They're sweetened, probably for shelf life. Anyway every Hispanic person I served with always got rid of those terrible things. The taste isn't of flour tortillas.

Finally no, I'm not a 90 lb girl. They just lock up your bowels like that. Rumor is its to keep you from having to shit on the battlefield.

PS Fuck you chili mac is best.
>>
>>7819089
why do you keep eating 20 year old shit OP
>>
File: 1466045074122.jpg (134 KB, 796x798) Image search: [Google]
1466045074122.jpg
134 KB, 796x798
>tfw 2 boxes of MREs' in the trunk of your car when shit goes down.
I kinda want to reenlist just to keep eating these things.
>>
>>7823814
>>1158 calories
>need to eat 3 or 4 a day just to maintain
Let me guess. You're American?
>>
>>7819158
>implying you'd be qualified to serve in the military
>>
>>7820799

>let's eat a 71 year old survival ration
>oh it's gross

NO FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>7823814
Bullshit. I ate one a day while on patrol and it was plenty when portioned out. Granted I'm skelly but 1000 calories is plenty to survive if you aren't lifting.
>>
>>7829743
even if you weighed 100lbs 1000 calories isn't much food for someone supposedly on patrol
>>
>>7826282
>eat shit
>ugh, ew, um, guh
>that is my review of shit
you're very defensive, which confirms you are him
>>
>>7823814
genuine US MREs only have 1300 cal, you double up or make a 24 hour individually packed ration
>>
File: image.jpg (319 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319 KB, 1242x2208
I just found this channel a week ago. He's fuckin based and will eat anything in the MRE no matter how old. Even smoke the cigarettes that used to come in them.

https://youtu.be/DykpMcrVtR0
>>
File: MRE-vegetarian_lasagna-03.jpg (126 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
MRE-vegetarian_lasagna-03.jpg
126 KB, 1024x768
>>7819453

Had an MRE back in high school (lasagna or chili?) during a recruitment presentation and remember it as being pretty good.

Wish I had joined the military; a buddy’s cousin joined the Chair Force at 18 and 25 years later, he and the wife (he meet her in the service) both retied with a pension and he walked straight into a $200K per year civilian job doing the same thing (logistics related, shipping stuff via air freight).

On a related note; I bought a Mountain House Pad Thai freeze dried meal to try while turkey hunting after it was recommended over on /out/ and it SUCKED ASS, only ate a couple bites and tossed the rest out for the critters.
>>
>>7829887
Interesting video but he could have made it half as long by cutting out the drawn out redundancies.
>>
File: pemmican.jpg (1 MB, 2256x1496) Image search: [Google]
pemmican.jpg
1 MB, 2256x1496
>>7823154
>Do not forget to pierce the packages that already sealed with air (noodles, candy bars, granola bars, crackers) with a needle or thumbtack. They will be sealed in the bag and this lets the air go out giving you tighter seal and maintaining its integrity

Except that’s wrong and stupid.

Commercially packaged foods are packed in nitrogen gas to preserve the food and letting it out will only cause the food to spoil.
>>
>>7829887
>He's fuckin based and will eat anything in the MRE no matter how old.

>"I'm not about to break down with some 72, 73-year old crank, okay? I'm not taking one of these things."
wew lad
>>
>>7829930
food doesn't spoil in a vacuum
>>
>>7829935
he said break bad not break down
>>
>>7829935
He would've got his channel deleted if he did.
>>
>>7829887
Holy shit if you are gonna film your hands don't chew off your nails badly
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.