[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cincinnati Chili love thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 508x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 508x384
The hate for skyline and Cincinnati chili is a meme r-right guys?

Nobody is really this asshurt about a sauced ground beef stew over noodles with cheese and hot sauce?

Right?
>>
looks pretty good man

how is Cinci? I've wanted to visit for a while.
>>
>>7818536
You ever taste a piece of chalk? The entire city of Cincinnati is like that.
>>
>>7818510

Asshurt? No, nobody's ACTUALLY asshurt about it.

Of course, that being said... Skyline chili really isn't very good. The pasta, at least, is somewhat understandable; chili goes really well with a lot of different things, from Fritos to rice, so while pasta isn't exactly a traditional choice it is a serviceable one.

But that chili -and make no mistake, skyline chili is in no way, shape, or form chili con carne- is just... it's wrong. Cinnamon, chocolate, and greek seasonings have no place in anything attempting to call itself "chili."
>>
>>7818536

Fun town bro, was there for the MLB All Star game last year. Friendly people, GREAT craft brewery scene and easy walkable city.

It's a nice getaway in the summer. But nothing that requires more than a two day stay.
>>
>>7818510
>he hate for skyline and Cincinnati chili is a meme r-right guys?

It's like the hate for chicago pizza.

No one is saying it isn't good. No one is saying the recipe is bad.

Just don't fucking call it chili
>>
>>7818510
What is that yellow stuff on top?
>>
>>7818596

octopus
>>
>>7818540
Not even sure what that means.

>>7818510
Whenever I leave the area people tend to react in disgust to it, so I don't think it's a meme.

Also
Skyline for 3-ways, Gold Star for coneys. Prove me wrong.

>>7818536
OTR/Downtown/Riverfront is one of my favorite places. It's all nicely within walking distance and there's always something going on or something to do. The city has really revitalized itself, so when asking that question, make sure you only take into account people who have been there in the past 5 years. Not to mention Northern Kentucky which is a short ride or bridge walk across the river. Newport almost always has a festival going on during the summer.
>>
>>7818510
>classic image.jpg
>>
Why does it have a pound of shredded cheese over it? And why spaghetti?
>>
>>7818510
I dont get the disgust people have for it
I mean its literally just hotdog meatsauce on spaghetti with some cheese
>>
>>7818695
>some cheese

m8 that plate looks like 50% cheese.
>>
>>7818655
What do you mean why? That's just what the dish is. Pour a bunch of hot sauce over it and it's delicious.
>>
>>7818510
>noodles
pasta

>>7818717
then hot sauce is delicious, not the dish
>>
>>7818715
it'll stir in
>>
people llike to shit on it because it doesnt look very good, but its a great combo. the people that shit on it don't have tastebuds or they've never had it. it's a little sweet and it wouldn't taste good on its own, but god damn its great on a hot dog.
>>
>>7818726
>Flavors can't complement one another

Are you an idiot?
>>
>>7818734
People also only ever have Skyline. There are really about 4 brands, and they all vary in taste with Skyline being sweeter and runnier. If someone's complaint is "Cincinnati style chili is too sweet!", then perhaps they should try Gold Star, Empress, or Blue Ash.
>>
>>7818695
I think people hate it for the horrifying culture it represents more than for the food itself

Fat cunt Midwesterners with dad moustaches and bypass scars who can only speak coherently about NFL and tailgating
>>
>>7818765
>People on the coast are just so much more cultured!
>>
>>7818776

I am one of those Midwesterner cunts, actually
>>
>>7818510

I love Skyline. My mother introduced me as a young boy one summer when I had to go into work with her.

It was awesome and I've been a fan ever since.

I sometimes make 5 way with spaghetti squash.
>>
>>7818765
>le fly over coast is so much better

The coasts are filled with over-educated shit heads, fags and immigrants - everything that doesn't represent America. Over-educated in the fact you went to college for 4 years and the only skills you have are being a worthless office lacky working for shit dollars.
>>
File: 1323104230498.jpg (10 KB, 132x140) Image search: [Google]
1323104230498.jpg
10 KB, 132x140
>>7818823
>immigrants - everything that doesn't represent America

The irony of reading this on a Cincinnati chili thread is too good.

Which tribe do you belong to, flyover anon?
>>
>>7819022
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Cincinnati has a sizable immigrant population and the wealthier areas are full of Indians and Asians.

Not quite sure why you think the entirety of the midwest is white hicks. Also
>imply midwesterners are tribalistic
>while implying "the people from where I'm from are better than other people"
Wew lad.
>>
>>7818811
Ah, so you have the whole "Waaah, i hate my hometown and upbringing" mentality.

Grass is always greener, senpai. Any traveler will tell that wherever you go, once you get under the veneer of social politeness that may vary, people are people.
>>
>>7819160
I didn't think it would be this hard to follow. The irony I was referring to is in how you said immigrants don't represent America, in a thread about Cincinnati chili (the history of which you probably should be aware of), while presumably defending Cincinnati chili and the Midwest as a whole.

You're overthinking the tribe thing, I was just wondering which Native American tribe you're from, being that immigrants aren't American enough for you.
>>
>>7819022
>The Colonists and conquistadors were immigrants and not conquerers
See where your ignorance gets you, on a malaysian bocci ball IB.
>>
>>7819244
>you
I wasn't that anon. I was just assuming you were the same anon shitting on the midwest.
>>
>>7819292
The colonists weren't fucking "conquerors", first of all, and second, almost everyone in the Midwest is descended from Irish and/or German immigrants from the 1800s and not from the colonists.
>>
>>7818592
Isn't it literally chili over noodles?
>>
That looks like mince on top of a load of spaghetti with a pile of shitty cheese on top.
>>
>>7819356
Don't forget Scandinavians. A lot of them are in the northern midwest states.
>>
>No one mentions Dixie Chili, the best of this crap.

Seriously Dixie Chili is pretty good. Go to their actually sit in restaurants and get a coney and a 3 way.
>>
In Cincy you can get their habanero cheese at Kroghetto. GOAT cheese for burritos desu senpai.

Not a huge fan of the 3 or 5 way pasta, but the dogs are pretty great.
>>
Could one of you Cincinnati anons explain the difference between the kinds of chili?

>>7819665
^this anon says Dixie is best. What goes into it? I'm from NY, never had Cincinnati chili.
>>
Cincybro here. Skyline and Gold Star are both overrated af.

Camp Washington and Blue Ash Chili are definitely the best in the city.

I will say that Gold Star's chili cheese fries are solid
>>
Chili and pasta gets a pass from Texans.

It isn't traditional, but poor Mexican families have long subsisted off of vermicelli and picadillo/chili.

What doesn't get a pass is MEDITERRANEAN FLAVORED CHILI.

Holy shit how can you guys fuck up your chili con carne so bad.

All of this is tainted by the use of Cincinatti "Chili"
>>
>>7819677
i just wanted to say that i genuinely feel sorry for you
>>
File: coney.jpg (89 KB, 777x424) Image search: [Google]
coney.jpg
89 KB, 777x424
>>7820209
Cinci chili dishes are a variant of the food from Coney Island restaurants, which are in Michigan and were started by Greeks

I've never been to Ohio or tried their chilli spaghetti and honestly the concept is offputting to me but I'd give it ago, but there is nothing better than a Coney Doge and some chili cheese fries
>>
>>7818592
The recipe is bad. I won't go out of my way to bitch about it. But I have no desire to eat it.
>>
>>7818726
>noodles
pasta

Pasta is noodles.
>>
>>7818510
Not asshurt, but the hype did let me down on this one. Was all excited when I hit Cincinnati to try it because I'd heard so much about it. It was a powerful disappointment, and it might have just been OK if I hadn't heard so much about it beforehand.

Truth be told Skyline chili is a perfectly good pasta sauce. It's the mountain of shitty cheese that ruins the dish.
>>
>>7818510
never had skyiline specificailayay bu t cn hav eog saoy ha thiclh on nodle soudns preopre fgood and fresh
>>
>>7820483
The problem is that most Cincinnatians talk about it like it's the second coming or something. Cincinnati has so many great restaurants and everyone here talks about fucking fast food meat sauce as being the best dish in the city.

I think that's why everyone is always disappointed by it. In a vacuum it's a pretty good cheap meal but it's definitely not the best thing in the city (thank god).
>>
>>7820488
What's your opinion on Island Frydays in Clifton?
>>
>>7820522
It's pretty bomb. The jerk sandwich and wrap are my faves. The jerk fries are out of this world. Highly recommend.
>>
>>7820488
Chicago has the same problem. It's a town with plenty of good restaurants, but the locals rave about the junk food like it's the best stuff to eat there. If you make the mistake of listening to them you're eating Italian beef sandwiches, hot dogs and awful pizza instead of hitting the good restaurants.

I don't get it. It has to be some manifestation of that "regular guy" Midwest mentality. Even if you know better you still have to prove you're not hi falutin' by raving about trash food poor people ate in your town generations ago.
>>
>>7820599
I've been there a million times. Just wondered what you though. The jerk sandwich combo with fries and their signature drinks was always my go-to.
>>
>>7820688
>you're eating Italian beef sandwiches, hot dogs and [...] pizza

All of those things are good, though.
>>
>>7820195
It's just a difference in ingredients and texture. It's all essentially the same, but some are runnier, sweeter, etc. Some have a little bit of chocolate, some don't. It's all still the same stuff, just a little variation. Skyline is by far the most popular with stores for hundreds of miles around Cincy. Gold Star is second with stores within 75 miles or so. Then you have Dixie, Blue Ash, and Empress with a total of about a dozen stores around the metropolitan area.
>>
>>7820209
Nobody but Texans care what Texans think. You're basically the Republican California.
>>
>>7820484
Did you have a stroke?
>>
>>7820488
Because Cincinnatians grow up eating it and to many of us Skyline or another brand is as common a meal as McDonalds or Wendy's. I can't tell you the number of people I know whose families go to Skyline every Sunday after church and whatnot.

I don't think anyone thinks it's the best food in the world or even in Cincy (the Eagle in OTR is the best damn fried chicken I've ever had) but it's just such a normal part of the cuisine in the area that people take local pride in it and want to share it with others.
>>
>>7820207
GS's burritos are surprisingly decent.
>>
>>7820710
They're OK, but they're not nearly as good as the locals set you up to believe, so when you try them after the hype they're disappointing. Especially in a city like Chicago that's full of good restaurants. Eating the local junk food is a waste of time.
>>
>>7820789
You people. still go to church? Do you only associate with Hispanics and blacks?
>>
>>7820927

Around the midwest, going to church with the family on sundays is still very much in style. Not so much for the religion as for the social aspect of it.
>>
>>7820927
I don't know where you're from bub but going to Catholics still go to Mass on the East Coast.
>>
File: 1458115386617.gif (660 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
1458115386617.gif
660 KB, 200x199
>there are people who put beans in their chilli
>>
>>7818510

3 way - a bunch of ohioan white people desperately trying to have a culture.
>>
>>7821280
>there are people who don't
Chili is not just "meat and spices"
>>
>>7820688
>but the locals rave about the junk food like it's the best stuff to eat there
>implying that 'go 'zza is not the best
>>
>>7821940
eastern mediterraneans are white?
>>
File: 1452210924405.gif (999 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
1452210924405.gif
999 KB, 300x180
>>7818510
i'll never know if it's just because i grew up in ohio, but goddamn do i love skyline (and gold star for that matter).

i completely recognize that it is fast food that will make you shit your pants a half hour after eating, but it's delicious.
>>
>>7820207
Skyline's chili cheese fries are way better than Gold Star's. Bigger portion too.

I used to go to GS exclusively, then one day I tried Skyline and never looked back.
>>
>tfw grew up in Ohio
>tfw went to Cincy for college
>tfw moved to Philly after college
>tfw qt3.14 cheesesteaks everywhere
>tfw no Skyline
>tfw closest Skyline chilli is at grocery store chain all outside of the city or in Jersey

Life is suffering, you guise.
>>
>>7820763
I see. Thank you for answering anon.
>>
Every time I'm in southwestern Ohio I buy a shit ton of this objectively lame food. People eat lutefisk so if this is what everyone hates about Cinci, I think one of my homelands is doing pretty good.

Also: rip Touchdown Jesus
>>
File: hurrrrdurrrrr.png (17 KB, 228x154) Image search: [Google]
hurrrrdurrrrr.png
17 KB, 228x154
>>7818510
>take bunch of cheap shitty ingredients
>throw it together in a thoughtless manner
>be surprised no one likes it
This is why no one likes Ohio.
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 225x225
>>7820473
>>
File: jesusx-large.jpg (17 KB, 490x357) Image search: [Google]
jesusx-large.jpg
17 KB, 490x357
>>7822201
Gone too soon
>>
Thank god I live in NE Ohio. I wouldn't be able to handle skyline being my regional food. It's a hot one today though ohio bros
>>
>>7823647
It's like 9:30 here man, not that hot.
>>
>>7821990
It's awful compared to the good food served in the better restaurants in that town. The same way a Skyline 3-way is awful compared to what you can get at the good restaurants in Cincinnati.
>>
>>7818549
>chocolate and cinnamon in chili

A-Are you making that up?...Please be making that up...
>>
>>7822026
Skyline's chili doesn't complement the hotdogs very well imo. Plus it's runny and the buns are soggy by the time you get to your third coney.

Their 3-ways are objectively better than GS, though.
>>
>>7822716
>be surprised no one likes it
Except everyone in the area.

>This is why no one likes Ohio.
That's okay. We'll just keep deciding who your president is. :^)
>>
>>7823932
It's a very small amount to provide a slightly sweet tang. And, again, the sweetness is primarily in Skyline, not necessarily other brands.

>>7823647
>Glad to near Cleveland, Akron, and Youngstown
Wew lad. Even Dayton and Toledo friends are laffin'
>>
>>7818510
>noodles
>>
File: pepe.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>7818510
Even fucking Wisconsin looks down upon your state.
>>
>>7823932

No, I'm not.
>>
You know what. I think I might go to Skyline for dins tonight
Should I get the coneys or the 3 way?
>>
>>7818540
One of my teachers in high school used to eat chalk
If a piece of chalk ever broke off, he'd grab it and eat it
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.