[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aldi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9
File: aldi[1].jpg (1012 KB, 1500x940) Image search: [Google]
aldi[1].jpg
1012 KB, 1500x940
Hey /ck/ who else shops at aldi's? Any recommendations on what to buy from there?

Here is my recommendation
>deli pizza, Cheese/italian sticks if available
>clancy onion ring chips
>any of the millville cereal
>ravioli

I have more but at this point it would sound more like common sense

Anyone have any recipes to share, I would love to try some mexican recipes

Also, aldi thread I guess.
>>
File: mcrib.jpg (31 KB, 360x200) Image search: [Google]
mcrib.jpg
31 KB, 360x200
I like their McRib
>>
It might just be my area, but Aldi is just generally cheap as fuck.
Except for meats.
>>
I absolutely love Aldi, it's just out of my way and they close earlier than everything else.
>>
love it, I dont buy my meats from them but I find all the generic products to be as good/ better than the original product. produce is only good on shipment days which are busy (full of mexicans)
>>
>>7815202

I do most of my shopping there.

When they have their chicken drumsticks on sale, and cooking them covered in
>pic related

oh jesus.
>>
love their regular kielbasas
and their box mac & cheese aint bad as well
>>
>>7815172
I buy 90% of my produce there.
I also buy their canned mandarin oranges.

I honestly dont buy much other food there.

I like to pop in and look at there general goods isle. Ive bought a tool bag, flashlight, a trash can, a small tool tote, christmas ornaments, all other types of home goods. The stuff is junky, but its really cheap.
>>
pretty much doing all my shopping at austrian Aldi (Hofer). Vegetables and Fruit are top notch and cheap. Meat is pretty good too.
And their fresh baked bread and stuff is amazing for the price.
>>
>>7815172
Anyone tried Aldi's rocket and salami pizza?
Possibly the best store frozen pizza I've ever eaten
>>
Aldi in denmark is utter shit

in the UK it's great though
>>
I don't eat much in the way of prepackaged ready meals, but I do shop at Aldi for fridge and pantry staples: milk, eggs, butter, half-and-half (for making ice cream), baking spray, oil, sugar, paprika (which is of surprisingly good quality at Aldi), chili powder, powdered cumin, jam/jelly, peanut butter, wholefat yogurt, pasta, cheese and smoked Polish/Norwegian salmon (caught in Norway, shipped to Poland for processing, then back to Norway for shipping to the US; supercheap and really good). Also chocolate. Fuck me, the chocolate.

As for the premade stuff, I buy it from time to time when it goes on manager's special. The frozen chicken fried steak is surprisingly good and the deli pizzas are okay. I miss Bottom Dollar. They had better deli pizzas, but Aldi bought them out and closed down all their locations because BD was too much of a threat to let it keep going.
>>
eurofag here. aldi is pretty crappy. we only buy there because we're poor.
>>
I love the store and all of their products, but

>>7815202
>full of mexicans
rude people everywhere and their rude children running up and down the already crowded aisles. Makes me hate shopping there. Any time I stop in because I need like 2 things I get stuck in line behind some giant fucking family with a full shopping cart who don't have the courtesy to let me go ahead of them. Every. Single. Time. Plus they only ever have like two lanes open, and no express lane.

But their snacks are great. I like the German imports that you can't find in normal grocery stores. Also some of the best frozen pizzas I've tried. Produce is hit or miss, depending when you go.
>>
>>7815907
It used to be utter shit in the states, too. I remember buying crackers there that were stale out of the box. And that was the most edible thing I purchased.

They've been a lot better in recent years, though.
>>
>>7816112
>they won't let me go first!!! WAAAAaaaaah!!!
Perhaps you just give off an air of unlikability.
Whenever that happens to me, I'm always offered the place ahead of them. In fact, the only place this /doesn't/ happen is hoity-toity joints like Whole Foods and Wegman's.
And I've not once seen kids run rampant at Aldi, but have at Trader Joe's, Aldi's upmarket step-cousin-in-law.

>>7816175
How long ago? I've been buying Aldi since I moved to the US permanently nearly 15 years ago now and it's been great, except for the beef, that entire time. And the only reason the beef is bad is because it's too pricey compared to anywhere else. The pork is wonderful and the chicken's pretty damned good. The boneless lamb around Eastertime and the duck around Christmas are also nice.

My only gripe with Aldi is the lack of constancy. If you like something, you better stock up now while they have it because chances are good you'll either never see it again or you'll have to wait a year or two for it to come back. It's a pity.
>>
>>7816198
>How long ago?
I don't remember exactly, but I want to wager around 7-8 years. We just tried it out and didn't go back, until financial problems a few years down the road forced us to try again. We were pleasantly surprised.

Still won't by produce there, though.
>>
>>7816302
I buy my bag of potatoes from them, unless you are planning to skin your potatoes, don't buy them. Parts of the potatoes will have mold growing on them. luckily I just skin it until the mold is gone. I do better inspections to get least amount of really bad potatoes.
>>
>>7816302
I won't buy onion or potato there. For some reason, onions and potatoes from Aldi just go off more quickly than from anywhere else. I bought 10lbs of onions from Shoprite back in March and I'm down to the last three pounds now and they're still good. Had I purchased two pounds from Aldi last week, they'd have rotted by now.

Other than that, I'm happy with all the produce. Maybe it varies place to place, but excepting the onions and potato, nearly all the produce sold at the Aldi stores in my area are either Tanimura and Antle, which is very respectable brand, or Grimmway, which is similarly respectable. Only difference is that Aldi is cheaper than the other stuff.
If they would only carry Melissa's produce, I'd be an even happier camper than I am already.
And I've now woken up to the fact that I'm a produce brand loyalist.
>>
>>7815907
You could njust jump over the border nand get your stuff in Germany. Much cheaper. Everyone living in a country next to the German border does this shit which really clogs up the markets during the weekends with Poles and Estonians and Swedes and Russians, at least where I live.
>>
>>7816198
>And the only reason the beef is bad is because it's too pricey compared to anywhere else.

Is it? I was just there and a three pound roll was 7 bucks, pretty good I think.
>>
>>7815172

>sign clearly says Aldi
>calls it "Aldi's"
>>
>>7816891
>$7 is a good price for 3lbs
Nope. Not for 73% lean it isn't, which is the one that's on sale at Aldi for $6.99 right now. That's is $2.33/lb exactly, by the way.

All the big name supermarkets in my area have 80% lean on sale this week and next for Independence Day at $1.99/lb.

Buying the 3lb pack at Aldi means you're getting nearly a quarter pound less actual meat while paying a dollar more for the privilege. It's a rip-off.
So yeah: it's too pricey for what it is compared to anywhere else.

It's not even a good deal if you wanna use it for tallow. Chinese supermarkets sell 50% lean beef (if you ask for it) for 99¢/lb. I cook it over low heat to render the fat then drain, using a little bit of the grease plus a bit of flour to make a dark roux, compound it with onion, add beef stock to make a gravy and stir in the cooked crumbles to make millionbof, which is delicious.
>>
>>7816924

Well fuck me none of the local grocers have beef that cheap.
>>
>>7816318
Aldi produce is literally 2 days away from molding. I donlt see the point of shopping there for anything fresh.
>>
>>7816926
Wait for your next round of circulars, then. The price should drop next week, even if just for a three day sale over the weekend.
>>
>>7816934
I think it depends on your area. As said, the ones here stock good produce except onions and potatoes. Everything else is great.
>>
File: AlDisCerealOptions.jpg (429 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
AlDisCerealOptions.jpg
429 KB, 1600x1200
I always go and laugh at their generic-ass cereals.
I've had good luck with everything though apart from milk and some produce going bad rather quickly
>>
>>7817000
I would tear up some Kookies.
>>
One of these guys opened where I am in Texas. What can I expect? I assume meat and produce are low tier?
>>
>>7817157
>What can I expect?
Low prices for decent quality on most shit. I'm sure you have some similar comparable store already.

If you're into oddities, they probably have a lot of German imported snacks and candies.

>I assume meat and produce are low tier?
I don't buy any meat higher than stew grade and the only produce I buy is what I'm going to cook/consume the next day.
>>
File: NO.png (138 KB, 242x309) Image search: [Google]
NO.png
138 KB, 242x309
>>7817000
>>
File: EXCELLENT.png (139 KB, 242x305) Image search: [Google]
EXCELLENT.png
139 KB, 242x305
>>7817000
>>
>>7817157
Their produce is perfectly fine. Its no worse than your standard grocery store produce.
I see literally the same exact brand of prepackaged baby carrots, baby cucumber, packaged english cucmber etc etc at place like HyVee.
It leads me to believe all of their produce comes from similar suppliers. And its always been fine for me.

Their meat somehow is the same price or even more expensive than places like WalMart and Shop and Save. So ive never tried it

And their knock off frozen food like pizza and other garbage is pretty bad.

I may be showing my age, but Aldis used to be a much MUCH different store.
You know generic food, with generic labels?
Aldis was nothing but the cheapest, generic poverty food there was.

You would walk about and grab tin cans, and then use a grease marker to mark how much they cost on the top. They didnt adopt bar codes till late.
They didnt accept credit card or debit card, as it would raise the cost of their food. They didnt start that till like mid to late 00s

In the early 90s, it was literally like going into a store from the 60s
Most people on this board dont even realize that you would be looked down upon for shopping there. It means you were in a really bad spot financially.

Now that some german company bought it, its just like a regular grocery store. The only difference is that there is almost no brand name stuff, only house brand stuff.
>>
>>7817324
>They didnt accept credit card or debit card, as it would raise the cost of their food. They didnt start that till like mid to late 00s
Holy fuck, they accept credit cards now?
>>
>>7817324
>Now that some german company bought it,

Aldi has always been a German company...
>>
>>7815172
>if IKEA was a food store, store.
>>
>>7817324

They found a good compromise between offering shit people actually want while keeping prices down.
>>
>>7817000
I've had some problems with their produce, but never with the milk. Aldi's expiration date is usually much further out than anyone else in my area. Actually, I like some of their cereals better than the name brands they're knock-offs of. I just wish they'd get their frozen tamales in more often and that they'd start selling an inexpensive oatmeal bread.
>>
>>7817440
>Aldi's expiration date is usually much further out than anyone else in my area.

that's because they just put a later date, anon. jesus.
>>
>>7817440
Dont put much thought into expiration dates.

There is no legal obligation to have a date on food. And there are no standards by which the dates are made.

Its just guessing by the manufacturer. Its why we all have had 2 week expired milk smell and taste good.
>>
>>7815172
>no baskets
>no bags
>Quarter for a shopping cart

yeah fuck that shit
>>
>>7817478

You get your quarter back and backs are like a nickel. I'll put up with that for paying literally half price on shit like eggs and milk.
>>
>>7817478
You get the quarter back after you return the cart
>>
>>7817478
Bags aren't even needed. Just jam the shit in your trunk and sort it out when you get home.
>>
>>7815172

I love the Aldis in my town but I never shop there because they never have more than one register open, so if you want to buy a few things it's usually about a 20-30 minute wait in line.
>>
>>7817352
Weird, Im looking and guess this buyout im thinking of must not have happened.

I thought there was a buyout, must have just been a new CEO or a new direction from the CEO or regional owners or something else similar.

But they remodeled 3 stores, shut down the other 2 and moved them to the better part of towns.
It was a HUGE deal in the local news.

One that got shut down was the only store left standing in the really poor ghetto neighborhood. The poor people living down there were on TV protesting the move because the people who worked there and shopped there didnt have a car to drive. They were faced with taking a bus ride to get to work or to shop.

I guess the remodel in my mind was the turning point when I started shopping there.
>>
>>7816906
This triggers me, like people who call an ATM an "ATM machine"
>>
>>7817535
A buyout happened, you just don't remember the details clearly.
In 2014, Aldi bought out Bottom Dollar from Delhaize, a Belgian company who also owns Food Lion and Hannaford in the US as well as former Wegmans competitor, Bloom Market.

BD was Delhaize's first foray into the world of discount grocery stores and it was killing it. Unlike Save-A-Lot and Aldi, BD sold national brands every day and all the time, often with great sale prices attached, sometimes as loss-leaders, in order to get people through the door. They were making a huge name for themselves in the few years they were open. Aldi, threatened by BD's extremely fast growth and huge profit margins (each location averaging a/profit/ of $8 million annually), offered Delhaize a rather large amount of money for their 66 locations. The deal was accepted and all Bottom Dollar locations were closed by January 2015.

>>7817324
Unless you lived literally in the middle of nowhere, you wouldn't have ever been to an Aldi until the 2000s. They existed only in Iowa, northern Illinois and other rural places in that immediate area until the late, late 90s when they began to expand. Prior to the 90s expansion, they had only 32 locations, all in and around the area mentioned. Thereafter, Aldi experienced unbelievably rapid growth. By the mid 00s, they had around 700 locations throughout the US. Ten years later, that number has over doubled, as they now have around 1500 locations in the US as of 2016.
When I first moved to the US, Aldi was my favourite place to shop for groceries. They had my favourite cereal, a brand of granola with mango, coconut and chai-tea spices. It was delicious. But that went away. :-(

>>7817157
Seems to vary heavily region to region. People in some areas seem to be very happy with the produce, while those in others are extremely disappointed. Try it and judge for yourself.
>>
>>7815172
Aldi's little garden hummus: Significantly Spicy
>>
>>7818110
Different areas of Illinois, all my life.
Though a city of 200k, only 3 hours away from Chicago I wouldnt really call it middle of nowhere.
>>
>>7818146
Northern Illinois, though? Like... near the Iowa border northern Illinois? Cuz that's where they operated for over 20 years before they started expanding so rapidly. People made jokes in the 90s about Starbucks' rapid expansion, but Aldi did it just as quickly but no one seemed to pay it any mind.
>>
>>7815172
Had a job there for all of an hour

Walked out because I had a 5mm long full beard and they didn't tell me I had to be clean shaven for the job until I started my first shift

I don't know why I ever took that job
>>
>>7818159
Really?
Are you REALLY trying to pretend that I have never been to an Aldis?

Peoria Illinois, on University street in the south end, next to the Walmart and the Bingo hall.
When they moved from University to War Memorial in the late 90s is when the got rid of the grease pens and brought in the bar codes.

Jesus Christ, it had been there for 20 or more years.
>>
>>7818174
I went to an Aldi near me one morning just as they were opening and the manager fired a guy just then and there.
It went something like this
>not only are you an hour late, but we've been telling you for two weeks that you need to take a fucking shower!!!
>go home and don't come back
He was a nice guy, but he was certainly smelly, I can vouch for that. As for him being late, I can say this: he was a Francophone and Muzzie, two groups not exactly known for being industrious (nor for their hygiene, now that I think of it).

That poor guy must have been so embarrassed. Being that he's Muslim, I'm waiting for the news story of the day he returns to the store to carry out his holy jihad against the Aldi infidels who mocked the odour God gave him.
>>
>>7815172
I don't. Mostly because it's too far out the way
>>
>>7818183
No, I'm not trying to pretend anything. Chill out, schizo. I'm asking for clarification. Geez.
Your blood pressure must be through the roof. Calm the fuck down, dude.
>>
>>7818223
meh
Its kinda fun thinking about stuff moving around like that anyways
>>
>>7816198
lol you dumb fuck. The point of my post was not my place in line. you probably don't live anywhere near a poor neighborhood.
You're either a butthurt spic or a white SJW.
>>
>>7817533
I've made my education as a manager there. There are usually not more than 3 or 4 people working at an Aldi at the same time. Sometimes even two. Supposed to save money but it really clogs up the markets. And half an hour is really fast, compared to Aldis at the German borders at weekends or before holidays. Sometimes, you wait for over a hour just to buy your stuff and when we close, it looks worse than a soviet super market because people buy like it's the end of the world.
>>
>>7815907
>>7816175

used to be shit in Austria too until the early 2000s.
They really worked on their image.
>>
>>7818200
funny thing. I never once saw a kebab-looking person work at Aldi here in Austria and I've been shopping there for atleast 15 years
>>
>>7817478
>>7817523
The one in my neighborhood lets you take empty boxes and the cardboard pallets instead of bag, but I usually just bring cloth ones anyway.

I've liked pretty much everything i've bought there except for yogurt and tuna fish. But their cheese is decent and their bakery good are actually really good. My favorite type of bread is the normal whole wheat for like 1$ a loaf.
>>
>>7819041
>maybe people don't help you because you're unpleasant?
>FUCK YOU, YOU MOTHERFUCKING SPIC!
Okay then.
>>
>>7819420
>used to be shit until the day they opened
Well, I wouldn't imagine a store to be any good /before/ they start doing business Anon.
>aldi opened its doors in australia in 2001
>>
>>7819556
Austria, not Australia. Don't read so quickly.

>>7819420
>>7819422
He wasn't kebab. I think he was from Senegal. I don't quite remember. I've tried having conversations with him (as I breathed through my mouth). I speak French semi-natively as it's one of the languages spoken in my country and many of us pick it up naturally. Still, I always find it difficult talking to black Francophone people. Hate to sound racist, but their French is heavily Ooga-Booga'd to the point where I can only pick out maybe three of every five words spoken.
>>
File: fergie-13.jpg (437 KB, 1680x1258) Image search: [Google]
fergie-13.jpg
437 KB, 1680x1258
>>7817523
But whatcha gonna do with all that junk junk all that junk inside your trunk?
>>
>>7817824
Please, this is a blue board.
>>
Those knock off brand girl scout cookies

Fucking delicious stuff
>>
>>7815316
That hot sauce isn't great but it makes passable chicken wings.
>>
>>7819556
please read more carefully.
Aldi has been in Austria since the 1960s and had been a shitty store for the longest time
>>
>>7819890
No, they only opened in 2001

You must be thinking of another store
>>
>>7815172
I was honestly surprised at how mediocre Aldi's was. I mean they even sold tins of fish from China of all places. I also remember an Aldi shill tried to say on /ck/ that they found Kirkland quality products there at a low prices not knowing that Kirkland is actually a Costco brand. I wonder if he got his 5¢ for that retarded post.
>>
>>7819890
The post had already been corrected. See >>7819571

>>7819906
I don't know, Anon. I like Aldi's way more than Trader Joe's's, Wegmans's and Whole's Foods's.
>>
I can get good generic cereal from MOM and cheap as hell produce from ethnic markets. Aldi doesn't really have anything special. Also, their spaghetti sauce is pig disgusting.
>>
>>7819571

Are you Belgian or Swiss? I don't know why I'm curious but I am.

To actually contribute -- I'm a big fan of Aldi. If I'm feeling particularly lazy I can pick up their two-dollar frozen pizzas and have serviceable pizza for a week for like the cost of two meals at a fast food place.

A decent amount of spices/seasonings, baked goods that aren't expensive; the only thing I don't like is the lack of hot sauce most of the time. Then again, not too many people like retarded hot stuff for it to be profitable I guess.
>>
>>7815899
I used to get this every week until i got sick of it.
>>
>>7817533
They don't have the "if the queue goes past this point we'll open another till sign"? In britain it's just past the end of the conveyor.
>>
File: IMG_20160626_173942254.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_173942254.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I work at an Aldi in East germany. Feel free to ask me anything.

As for the op, the best thing we offer is our ketchup
>>
>>7820264
Which minority are the worst shoppers?
>>
>>7820270
black people. They're always loud and impolite, they also only buy frozen shit.
Arabs are distant second, they usually buy lots of healthy stuff and the older ones are always very polite.
>>
>>7820274
Germans are generally loud and impolite.
>>
>>7817324
>some german company bought it
u fuckin wot m8?
Aldi comes from germany. the two brothers who founded it are/were the richest germans because of Aldi
>>
>>7818200
i really wish we would rebuild the concentration camps for people who don´t shower. i have a coworker from sri lanka with so poor hygiene that you can smell him ten minutes after he left a room. he should be force showered, but not with water if you know what i mean
>>
>>7819041
>>>/pol/
>>
does anybody go to trader joes? it's the same company as aldi and I've went to both and they each have the same price in store brand pantry food and produce but I like trader joes more for their prepared food and super cheap snack food. 1.33 for a box of trader joes fig newtons can't be beat.
>>
>>7820597
Trader's Joes got bought out. It was originally a US store. In fact, the original family started another healthish market.
>>
>>7819663
I like it better than franks red hot sauce since it "gluten free" and franks claims to be gluten free, buts thats a load of bs.
>>
>>7820409
There was some African guy like that at a place I used to work. He didn't shower for "religious" reasons, or so he said.

Whenever he walked past, there was this awful stench of old sweat, and what smelled like a mixture of rotting onions, fish and spoiled milk.

It was fucking disgusting and multiple people kept complaining about it. HR asked him to shower several times, but he refused and would just spray around his desk with a shitload air freshener instead which just mixed in with the normal stench and made it even worse.

He got fired not long after that and it took a few days for the stink at his desk to dissipate. I think they had the throw his chair away too since it permeated the chair and everyone refused to sit in it.
>>
File: 1466889527227.jpg (8 KB, 200x129) Image search: [Google]
1466889527227.jpg
8 KB, 200x129
>>7817000
>>
>>7817824
RIP in peace you baby infant gay faggot
>>
>>7819581
epic
>>
>>7817000
>laugh at their generic-ass cereals.

Bitch, their cereals are way better.
>>
I usually shop at Meijer desu but I think I'll give Aldi a go next week
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.