[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Habits you picked up from your folks/grandfolks I put ice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: milk.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
milk.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
ITT: Habits you picked up from your folks/grandfolks

I put ice in my milk because of my grandfather and a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese in my soup because of my mother
>>
>>7811803
In every soup? Or just certain ones?

I put ice in my milk too, but only because I like cold milk to stay cold. I also do this with over drinks. It doesn't noticeably dilute it.
>>
>>7811803
>ice in milk

Kill yourself.
>>
My mother always made pancakes small and with blueberries in them, so I do too
>>
>>7811803
My dad taught me about the catcher's mitt. That's where you put some toilet paper in the toilet before you take a shit so you don't get splashback water in your ass.
>>
>>7811803
>Habits you picked up from your folks/grandfolks
I beat my children and I'm drinking myself to death
>>
>>7812201
Your mother's pancakes were small, yet supple, and delicious.
>>
when my dad cooked porkchops, he'd cook a half inch chop 20 minutes one side, 20 the other, than 10 one 10 the other

He said he never wanted risking disease
>>
>>7811803
I eat most salads with a mixture of blue cheese and thousand island dressings. With lots of black pepper.

Not exactly a habit but there are tons of weird really country foods that I can only get my family to cook.
>>
>>7811803

I eat my peas with honey; I've done it all my life. It makes them taste real funny, but it keeps them on my knife.
>>
Oh yeah my dad also always would use toasted english muffins instead of buns for hamburgers. I still do that, it's good
>>
>>7812239
yeah my dad cooks the living shit out of porkchops and hamburgers for the same reason. He doesn't trust most things that I grill and will microwave them "just to be sure"
>>
>>7811803
I actually used to do this. It's really pretty good.
>>
Cream cheese on meatloaf because of my grandpa

Onion dip in chili because of dad

Salt on watermelon grandma

BBQ on macncheese mom
>>
Savory oats from my pops. Butter, salt, pepper. Sweet oats suck. Maybe it's a Jew thing? He's Jewish and I guess his folks did it too.
>>
>>7812353
>jew
>butter in oats

Fuck off bro
>>
>>7812360
You could use olive oil if you want, Braaa.
I don't mind cause u don't matter BRO
>>
>>7812256
underrated rhyme post
>>
>>7811803
Add raw eggs on certain rice dishes/ramen dishes because of my Japanese mother.

I love it when amerijews get scared and tell me to eat only cooked eggs and mcdonalds before I tell the pussies to go and fuck themselves,
>>
My grandfather puts hot cornbread in cold milk for a snack. I love this.

Also, I genuinely love headcheese and scrapple.
>>
>>7811803
Ketchup on fried rice.
>>
>>7812850
My mom does the cornbread in milk thing too. Its pretty good but it grosses my SO out so I don't do it very often.
>>
Vinegar in soup
Mum
>>
I eat tomatoes like apples and put salt on it after every bite. From my mom. Nothing from my dad because he's a super picky eater.
>>
>>7812201
thats the only way to do it honestly
>>
>>7811803
I drink my coffee black because my grandmother would give me sips of her coffee when I was a kid. She grew up drinking her coffee black because her family was too poor to afford milk or sugar post-WWII.
>>
>>7812230
10/10
>>
>>7812601
Fuck you Jap. Shit tier country. You don't tell anyone shit because you're a little beta faggot mother fucker with a tiny dick.
>>
>>7812353
Jew here. Never heard of this ever.
>>
File: beer-with-ice.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
beer-with-ice.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
I put ice in my IPAs to thin them out
>>
Mayonnaise and tomato sandwiches from both parents

Super thin, practically-crepe pancakes from dad

Hatred of beef stew and celery. My dad loves them.

Mayonnaise, beans, and corn bread all mixed together, both parents.

Tomato biscuits, grandma and mom.

Pork fat/lard in green beans and any other veggies, grandma.

Such are the habits of hillbillies from North Carolina.
>>
File: 1462757466836.jpg (71 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
1462757466836.jpg
71 KB, 600x574
>>7811803
cheddar cheese on apple pie and cream and brown sugar on sliced tomatoes from my grandfather
making chili and apple pie with one of every variety of their respective chief ingredients from gram gram
ice in white wine and salsa on eggs from my mother
drinking a fifth of whiskey every day from my father
>>
>>7813645
>mayo and lard
You didn't need to specify where you were from we all knew it already
>>
>>7813669
It's legitimately delicious, though. Mayo/tomato sandwiches with just a bit of pepper are god's gift to man.
>>
>>7812220
The water must have really good aim to go in your ass crack
>>
>>7813646
What do people mean when they say "cream"?
Do you mean butter or heavy whipping cream or cream cheese wtf are you saying
>>
>>7813811
heavy cream or half and half
>>
For a while, I needed to finish my entire plate, ALWAYS. My Grandma used to yell the fuck at me if I threw away any food or didn't eat left overs, so any food wasted makes me feel horrible. She's dead now, but I still feel a bit of guilt if I don't finish a meal or if I end up wasting food. What really helps is just giving the food away to friends or something.
>>
>>7813855
You give food off your unfinished plate to your friends?

And why don't you just take less food the first time, and go back for seconds? At this point in your life, you should really be able to guess how hungry you are anyway.
>>
>>7811803
I never picked it up but my grandfather likes a condensed milk sandwich ...
>>
>>7813910
wtf
>>
I'll often use pita bread as a replacement for things you'd use white bread for, like peanut butter and jelly or with butter, from my mom

I mash up cinnamon graham crackers in a bowl with milk and eat with a spoon, from fatfuck dad
>>
>>7811803

I like to put a scoop of vanilla ice cream inside of my cereal for maximum effect. A scoop of chocolate ice cream if I'm having a bowl of coco krispies. Habit from no one. But someone here will copy.
>>
>>7811803
I might try the ice in milk...
>>
>>7812220
I do this. Also silences your shits
>>
>>7814064
Ok I just tried it, it was pretty fucking amazing. I will do this from now on, thank you OP.
>>
Salt on canteloupe
Cook oatmeal only until its chewy, not mushy.
Both from dad
>>
>>7811803
>I put ice in my milk

Empty a packet of aspartame in your milk and prepare to be blown away.
>>
>>7814175
Lol, just do a can of red bull while you're at it.
>>
Eating tomatoes like an apple.

>>7812256

My old housemate said her family always put sugar on canned vegetables (they only ate canned), and now she hates sugar.
>>
I dip my sandwich/biscuits in coffee or tea. My mum does the same thing.
>>
oh thanks for reminding, me I just got some snikers icecream.
>>
>>7813855
My parents did this to me through most of my childhood. They also added food to my plate when they didnt like what I put on it until I was 14 or so. They couldnt figure out why I got fat as fuck even though I was athletic. Luckily when my sister left for college they stopped making a family dinner a priority and I started cooking for myself more because they couldnt keep up with working around my sports schedule, school and their work. Lost 30lbs in just a few weeks. Fuck cleaning your plate.
>>
Black pepper on the tomato of every hamburger I eat. From my dad
Drain water from instant ramen noodles, mix them with steamed rice, and sprinkle flavoring packet on top. From my mom.
>>
I thought ice in milk was disgusting until I tried it...

Shit was cash. I now also put it in my cereal on occasion
>>
do you put ice in your ketchup too you heathen
>>
>>7811803
Ice In milk Is pretty normal I thought, used to do it all the time, thanks for reminding me OP. Alternatively I warm up milk and put alittle honey in it just to have a sweet drink.
>>
>>7812316
>Cream cheese on meatloaf because of my grandpa
Wow. Just, wow.
>>
>With left over rice I mix it with milk and a few drop of vanilla essence and heat it up
>>
Reminder that if you want ice in milk but don't want it watered down, just make some milk ice cubes.
>>
>>7813910
Is your grandpa Chinese? My friend loves peanut butter and condensed milk sandwiches. He ate them as a snack growing up his mom is from Hong Kong.

>>7812601
Dat you papa?
An egg craked over steaming white rice with a little soy sauce, so good!
>>
>>7813680
I mean, that's where the poop is coming from
so when the water is displaced and then reforms into a spout, where else would the water hit?
>>
>>7811803
>ITT: Habits you picked up from your folks/grandfolks

Salt on fresh sliced tomato
Salami on a toasted bagel with cream cheese.

Those two are about the only thing I can think of that people have actually given me shit about.

My dad likes sugar on cottage cheese. And mashed potatoes on his hot dogs. Fucking disgusting shit.
>>
>>7813673
> Mayo/tomato sandwiches with just a bit of pepper are god's gift to man.

Weird, never had that.

When I want a boring old sandwhich, I do make a ham, tomato, mayo on white bread and its pretty fucking good. Im not convinced leaving out the ham is gonna be good though.
>>
File: blaze pup.png (350 KB, 260x468) Image search: [Google]
blaze pup.png
350 KB, 260x468
Dinner time is exactly at 5:30 because my oldfag grandparents babysat me while my mom was at work and they ate dinner early
>>
>>7813626
I put ice in my beer since my grandpa grew up in LA before widespread AC
>>
>>7815358
What time should dinner be?

I always ate dinner at 4pm
Father got off work at 3:30, he would come home, change his clothes and there would be dinner ready for him.
>>
>>7811803
I constantly get the urge to invade Poland and gas the Jews.
>>
>>7815366
Father? Where do you live?
>>
>>7811803
i eat bacon with maple syrup

i dont let water boil before i put pasta or rice in it

cucumbers in vinegar (mom)

dark chocolate bar on my living room table at all times (mom)
>>
>>7815376
USA, im just really tired. Reading it back does sound pretty dumb.
>>
I put salt in literally everything.
>>
Mixing corn into mashed potatoes
>>
My mom had a habit of cutting dinner rolls in half and turning them into little sandwiches by placing slices of meat & vegetables in between the halves. I thought it was something only she did until I saw my grandpa (her dad) do the same thing.

Eventually, I tried doing it using meatloaf & mashed potatoes. It's pretty good.
>>
Never use salt or you will die.
Never get metal near a microwave or it will explode and you will die.
Never boil warm water or bacteria will eat you from the inside out and you will die.
Never attempt scones, it's impossible and you will kill yourself (it's called a food processor, mum! It's fucking easy!)

And while I've never picked up anything specifically related to chicken (because we always bought it pre-cooked, I wonder if there's reason for that...), all of the above has created such neuroses that any time I cook it is about as stressful as cooking fugu. Which is annoying because I love chicken.

Also grew up where the early bird catches the worm, so any time I have a delicious treat I scarf it like someone's going to take it from me, even if I'm alone.

I'm sure I've picked up some good/neutral habits too, but that's all I can think of.
>>
My grandpa would crush up saltine crackers in a bowl and pour milk on them like cereal. I tried it a few years ago and it is my go-to snack now

My dad freezes every candy he gets before eating it and now i do too

My mom puts miracle whip on her peanut butter sandwiches. I can't bring myself to try it
>>
>>7814054
I never even thought about that..
>>
Mom was a pretty shitty cook and still is, so I was very weary of her habits.

My dad is pretty decent and taught me to just enjoy things. When I was first learning to cook I bought canola oil and told him it doesn't smoke like olive oil.

He didn't care and fries all his steak and chicken in olive oil, which I do now too. Life is too short to not cook with tasty olive oil.
>>
>>7811809
Same with this anon.

I don't like my milk at any temp but cold, and adding ice keeps them cold.

Not noticeably diluted but I just wish my fridge cools things better. That thing is older than I am desu.
>>
>fried bologna/salami and peanut butter sandwiches
>peanut butter and banana sandwiches but never on white bread
>slicing up raw potatoes and eating the flesh with a dusting of salt or garlic powder
>no salt on popcorn, only spices
>warm/hot sunkist or near frozen sprite
>everything pasta/starch-wise is either cooked al dente or soaked in hot water then rinsed to remove the flour/starch powder
>certain ways of preparing, mincing, and slicing OH GOODNESS CUTTING THIS ONION THE WRONG WAY WILL RUIN THE DISH
>a drink of cream, whiskey, and frozen honey cubes
>random old world style dishes
>vented frustrations by fury cooking and cleaning, disturbing the cook results in a major fight

My mother was a mean and skilled cook but some of her quirks (that ive picked up) were weird
>>
>>7816665

>frozen honey cubes

What? Do you mean crystallized honey? I didn't think honey actually had a high enough water content to freeze.

...or are they a mix of honey and water, frozen?

You have intrigued me.
>>
Honey, white vinegar, and cavender's seasoning on everything from my dad.
Always drink chocolate milk with chili and dunk fries in a mixture of ketchup, mayo, and black pepper from my mom.
Could've been worse.
>>
>>7813626
>thinning out IPA's

You fucking degenerate.

Also, I drink a thing on hot summer days called a lemon sour.

It's lemon juice, salt and water. basically salty lemonade. I grew up in GA and my mom always gave me it to stay hydrated when playing outside.

Also, my dad gott me hooked on Peanut butter, hardboiled egg and american cheese sandwiches. So much protein.
>>
>>7811803
i beat my wife because my dad beat my mom and his dad did the same. it's sort of a family tradition amongst the men in my family.
that and having a mustache.

at least one of those things is true.
>>
My father taught me to cover up the pan when making grilled cheese so the heat stays in and melts the cheese.
>>
>>7817039
Im from Savannah and Ive never even heard of someone eating an egg, cheese and peanut butter sandwich. Sounds like some yankee bullshit to me.
The only thing I can think of I do that my granddad did is when I cook catfish & grits, I pour some of the grease from the fish into the grits.
I also dont put cheese in my grits, just salt and butter unless im having bacon or fish with it. I never understood why everyone insists on putting cheese in grits.
>>
>>7811803
>Ice in milk

GODDAMMIT RUMMY TURN YOUR TRIP BACK ON OR I CANT TELL ITS YOU HOLY SHIT. I KNOW YOU STILL LURK HERE I SAW YOU POSTING NOT LONG AGO I THOUGHT YOU LEFT, I KNOW YOUR ICY MILK SCHEMES
>>
>>7811803
I've done this, there's nothing wrong with wanting your milk to stay cold
>>
>>7812230
kek
>>
I leave the rind on when I eat citrus fruits

Habits I picked up from friends
>watermelon & cheese
>eating the bottom half of apple/pear cores

>>7815338
Fuck our dads' shitty taste
>kraft singles on hot dogs
>sugar in tomato sauce
>ketchup on mashed potatoes

It's terrible because both his parents are great cooks, but he'll just shovel down whatever.
>>
>>7812316
I do the same with watermelon add lime and hotsauce if feeling adventurous
>>
>>7813021
shit is bomb desu
>>
File: Salt.jpg (674 KB, 1600x1257) Image search: [Google]
Salt.jpg
674 KB, 1600x1257
lots of salt on fucking everything that's not fruit or dessert
-dad
-we both smoke
>>
I flip my hamburgers when i eat them. Bottom on top. From me mum.
>>
>>7812220
Do you drink your toilet water or something? Do you know where you are?
>>
>>7815514
was your mum insane?
>>
>>7811803
My dad showed me this cool mix for Pizza. what they do is that they mix Tabasco, Worcestshire and Ketchup together to make this really neat sauce that tastes awesome with pizza. Really complete the flavor
>>
>>7818559
Isn't that pretty much barbecue sauce?
>>
My mum would add a half teaspoon of Vegemite to vege soups for the savoury flavour, like using soy sauce, it's really great
>>
I freeze everything after it has been out for more than 10 minutes.

kek just kidding

seriously though mom why do you keep freezing fresh loaves of bread
>>
>>7818642
frozen bread reheats pretty well

my grandmother did the same thing, she would buy two nice loaves every weekend, and immediately put them in the freezer. drove my grandpa nuts
>>
>>7812353
My flatmate was telling me about savoury oats too it's boggled my mind, huh I guess it is a thing
>>
>>7812850
>>7812934

You guys are negro folk aren't you.
>>
>>7813895

It is a pretty common tradition to be served by someone at dinner, whether that be head of household, parents, host etc.
>>
>>7815514
>When unfit parents retard their children like this

Fuckingdisgusting.jpg
>>
>>7813895
friends often give me food they havent finished rather than throw it away because they know how strongly i feel about food waste.
>>
File: Vidalia-onions-2-770x880.jpg (91 KB, 770x880) Image search: [Google]
Vidalia-onions-2-770x880.jpg
91 KB, 770x880
>>7811803
-when eating corn on the cob, I butter a slice of bread then use that to butter the corn
-will eat vidalia onions raw with a little salt
-salt any type of melon before eating
-save dog toenail clippings to make stock
-actually enjoy anchovies on pizza
-occasionally eat things like pickled herring and ham hocks
-keep work surfaces, stove top, counters, sink meticulously clean
They're all pretty normal I think.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.