[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT We predict food trends >Fish sauce will be the next big
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6
File: Okonomiyaki 1 500.jpg (70 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Okonomiyaki 1 500.jpg
70 KB, 500x333
ITT We predict food trends

>Fish sauce will be the next big ingredient people find a way of putting into everything

>Okonomiyaki is on deck next after KFC peaks and will soon be found in every Japanese and Korean restaurant in the US
>>
Hard to imagine fish sauce gets the traction since it's such a foreign ingredient, unlike sriracha which is just another kind of hot sauce
>>
I have some Viet Huong fish sauce I've tried using on a few things and I find it hard to believe that many americans would find it appealing on anything.

Okonomiyaki, on the other hand, could get some appeal in the US. Especially if restaurants did what they already did to sushi and cover it in sauces and shit.
>>
>>7804795
"covering in sauces and shit" as in, moreso than okonomiyaki already has.
>>
>>7804776
fish sauce is too liquid to trend, wait until someone invents a dippable form
>>
>>7804776
Noodle bowl restaurants.

My town already has 2 vietnam noodle places and a sushi place that has an entire ramen menu
>>
>>7804802
probably either this or curry in the us. probably both.
>>
Meat pies in America. We take them from Australia and shit. Some asshole opens up a foodchain, sells 'em like crazy. Right out the fucking door.
>>
spiral vegetables in place of spaghetti.

unusual ingredients in place of food colorings like beet juice in red velvet cake.

things that can be automated or prepared and cooked by just one person.

things with more plant based proteins.
>>
File: stunned Donald.jpg (3 KB, 126x95) Image search: [Google]
stunned Donald.jpg
3 KB, 126x95
>>7804776
Am....am I still in 2016? Did I just time travel back to 2002? I must have, since people think fish sauce and okonomiyaki are new here. What the fuck is happening? Is the rest of the country moving in slow motion? Am I living in dog years? Is this some kind of culinary practical joke?
>>
>>7804836
they arent on every menu the way truffles are on every "fine dining" menu and sriracha is on every casual menu.
>>
>>7804802

Pho and Ramen are already pretty big food trends, my flyover friend.
>>
>>7804827

Meat pies are pretty much the opposite of what's popular in America right now.
>>
>>7804795
The whole point of okonomiyaki is that its covered in mayo and okonomi sauce
>>
>>7804854
The whole point is you can make it however you want it and that it's a pancake. That's really it.
>>
>>7804836

Okonomiyaki is rare if you don't live somewhere with a real Japanese population.

The only thing I've seen with fish sauce that could possible be a sign of it becoming a mainstream trend is Pok Pok's fish sauce wings.
>>
>>7804836
Hipster everyone knows they aren't new and okonomiyaki has been popular in Japan since before you were born, so way before 2002. Same shit goes for fish sauce in southeast Asia.

Neither is popular in the US, I almost never see okonomiyaki on the menu at Japanese restaurants and can only consistently find a shitty fake version of it at those Korean restaurants that don't have enough good Korean food so they add in some Japanese stuff too.
>>
>>7804864
The ingredient list is fluid outside of the cabbage and special flour on the inside.
But the actual okonomiyaki restaurants all have their own special okonomi sauce and many their own mayo. They're required ingredients
>>
>>7804875
>>7804884

i live in a heavily german city in canada and we have okonomiyaki here
>>
>>7804776
So, Okonomiyaki is a Japanese pizza?
>>
>>7805907
Okonomiyaki is nothing like pizza except that you can put a lot of various ingredients in it.
>>
>>7805933
So... it's a japanese pizza?
>>
>>7804836
First of all, ass, I'm not a hipster, and I'm also waaay older than you, I guarantee it.
Secondly, I can easily find okonomiyaki at any number of Japanese restaurants in my city, as well as heavy use of fish sauce all over, not just in asian restaurants. So, you know, fuck off and take your unpleasant attitude somewhere else.
>>
>>7805907
>>7805954
Not at all. If anything, it's more like a pancake that has a ton of stuff mixed into the batter. It's crispy and browned, but the center stays a little creamy. Topped with okonomi sauce and japanese mayo, bonito flakes, nori flakes, and ginger.
>>
>>7805954
So a sandwich is like an English pizza?
An omelette is like a French pizza?
A casserole is like a white lady pizza?
>>
>>7804835
>unusual ingredients in place of food colorings like beet juice in red velvet cake.
Uhh... that's the traditional method.
>>
>>7805968
What is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of pizza?
>>
>>7806012
That Japanese pizza with corn and hot dogs.
>>
>>7806012

Black olives, pepperoni, fresh tomato slices, and anchovies.
>>
>>7806012
A dick in Photoshop
>>
>>7804792
This. And the smell is extremely offputting.

Trends need to have wide appeal. I'm placing my bet on mangoes, at least for the summer. Trader joes' is already shoving it down our throats so expect everywhere else to catch up.
>>
>>7806116
Mangoes and any other fruit not found in the US will never catch on in any kind of way because people here don't understand seasonal. Mangoes are so bad here
>>
>>7804799
>fish sauce is too liquid to trend, wait until someone invents a dippable form

Unagi sauce
>>
>>7804776
>Ponzu, maybe. Not fish sauce.

>No. I live where it's predominantly asian and that shit literally flopped.
>>
okonomiyaki isn't big or filling enough to sate western fatso appetities. you'd have to either make a 12 inch or 'go ok' deep version or find something else to serve it with. I don't think fries would work.
>>
File: monjya640x640_rect_16757243.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
monjya640x640_rect_16757243.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>>7807257
You rarely ever order only one flavor though. I'm not a big fan of eating two alone but I like going out with another person and eating 3 different flavors, usually pork, beef, and squid. Sometimes we'll get a monjya instead of one but that shit will NEVER catch on anywhere outside of Japan for pic related reasons. Its delicious though, but okonomiyaki is definitely better
>>
File: 1456402947637.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1456402947637.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>7806052
I rubbed my spear of longinus on it for you
>>
>>7807260

we usually get a few and share them, then realise we are all still hungry and get yakisoba, which is the only other thing they sell. still end up hungry.
>>
>>7804776
Who /mouthfeel/ here?
>>
>>7807276
They must be extremely small or you're kinda fat.

The ones in Japan usually end up being about the size of a small pizza. That should be plenty of food
>>
>>7807322

I live in japan and they are small. they aren't anywhere near as filling as a pizza of the same size.
>>
>>7807327
>I live in japan and they are small.
I'm a weeaboo posting from somewhere in the Midwest.
>>
>>7804776
Pretty much any exotic umami based ingredient will become trendy eventually IMO, on a semi-related note I can see other varieties of ketchup like banana ketchup and mushroom ketchup gaining more mainstream popularity, they're already popular with hipsters and foodies
>>
>>7805907
'se 'za

Go wild, faggot.
>>
>>7807341

which is superior? 'ma ok or 'ka ok?
>>
>>7807322
I weigh 150lbs and 1 okonomiyaki from Japan is nowhere near enough food for one person unless you're a 80lb Jap girl, especially since they're full of air bubbles and cabbage, I dunno where the fuck you went if they served you okonomiyaki that were big enough that a single one could feed an adult
>>
>>7807343
>1 okonomiyaki from Japan
You get them delivered from Japan??
I hope you tip well.
>>
>>7807343
1 and 1/2 should be good, 2 is always more than enough for me. I agree one is never enough though, but they are usually only 800-1500 yen for one and they're kind of a mid range food so 2-3000 yen for a meal is pretty reasonable
>>
>>7806012
'go 'za obviously. Both are "deep" overrated shit.
>>
>>7804792
food lab puts it in tons of shit like tomato sauce, it's almost here buddy
>>
>>7804802
every town with more than 1 horse in it has a ramen shop and a pho place so I want to know what part of north Dakota you live in
>>
>>7807843
Bismarck.
Have you been here?
>>
>>7807843
Even in big cities ramen tends to be pretty garbage, I can only imagine how it is in the smaller towns
>>
>>7804802
what is middle america like? I was unaware you had internet, I am quite surprised to read your post!
>>
Cuckfornian Boba Sippers need to go to hell
>>
>>7805957
lrn2reply, or better yet, piss off back to plebbit
>>
>>7804776
You dipshits have these threads all the time and none of you are ever right. Stop thinking you're clever
>>
>>7804827
We have 'pot pies' in the us
>>
>>7805907
Jap 'za
>>
File: Rabbit fuck you.jpg (40 KB, 537x357) Image search: [Google]
Rabbit fuck you.jpg
40 KB, 537x357
>>7807984
>being this late to the game
>>
Miso
Miso caramel
Smoking stuff that's not meat
>>
>>7804776

Macrowaves will be the next meme appliance craze (dielectric heaters working at low MHz frequencies).
>>
>>7804827
Meat pie is already a thing in French Canada
>>
>>7808216
underrated
>>
>>7804827
I make meat pies.
>>
>>7807467
Underrated post.
>>
>>7804776
3D printing technology will soon be adapted to food. I actually have a friend that will be on the Shark Tank TV show soon because he and a group of engineers have developed a 3D printer that makes pizza
>>
>>7804827
Hot Pockets?
>>
>>7807260
white pansies are too afraid to share food from one large grilltop
>>
But both of those have been mainstream for a while, flyover

Are you still going crazy over nutella, by any chance?
>>
>>7804827
You filthy nigger.. We have these in Michigan.. They are called PASTIES
>>
>>7808743
Wow we can squirt 3-5 basic ingredients with an extruder out of a mechanized system. Your post is stupid and you are stupid. We have been mas producing frozen pizzas for decades now and much more efficiently than current 3d printing technology can. The simple fact is pizza is one of the few things with a short ingredient list that a printer would be capable of barring a huge breakthrough.

Tell me how you'd print fried chicken you fuck nut.
>>
>>7809023
You racist retard, it's because it looks like vomit.
>>
>>7804827
We already have a bunch of hipster meat pie restaurants in Toronto. One is even Australian (or perhaps just Australian-themed, I don't know).
>>
>>7809777
theres an australian meat pie place thats pretty popular in downtown LA right now too
>>
America food trend: anything that can hold cheese and be deep fried.

Rest of the world: maybe Vietnamese rice paper rolls again, they were popular for a while about 5 years ago but i'm seeing more Viet places pop up again lately.
>>
>>7807840
And McDonald's has been putting ground up chicken anuses in nuggies, yet they won't become the new meme food. The food needs to be actively used by the customers to become a trend.
>>
>>7804836
Flyovers
>>
>>7804827
Nah, the Australian company Four'N Twenty tried to open up a meat pie franchise about 10 years ago and it flopped after a few months of initial craze
>>
>>7809542
>print layer of batter
>print layer of finely ground chicken mince
>print another layer of batter
>fry

Congratulations, you now have 3D printed fried chicken retard
>>
Pickled fruit will be the food meme of 2016
>>
>>7809542
Chill queer, all I did was make a prediction. I'm not shilling the product you faggot. It might be dumb but why the hate? Dipshit
>>
I'm just hoping avocado in everything will go away. Avocado isn't bad and is a fine ingredient but who are these retards paying an extra 1-2 bucks to get it? Its definitely not that good
>>
>>7811253

>who are these retards paying an extra 1-2 bucks to get it

Maybe go somewhere other than Chipotle once in awhile.
>>
>>7804776
South American food.
>>
>>7804776
fish sauce already gets put on/in everything..
>>
>>7807341
>>7807342
Dear God I hate this meme.
>>
>>7809880

This, none of this shit is new if you've ever been to Seattle or Portland.
>>
>>7811957
Or anywhere on the west coast from LA north. I live in NorCal (not even the Bay area), and there's a bunch of places that serve okonomiyaki, and fish sauce is a staple seasoning.
>>
>>7804776
I'm from England, so I guess Middle Eastern food.
>>
>>7807961
agreed, its catching on the east coast too
>>
>>7811957
>completely skipped over vancouver
Its like people think that we are part of portland
We're not and its a shithole
>>
>>7804776
>Fish sauce will be the next big ingredient people find a way of putting into everything

I know Ameribigs love salt but fish sauce is literally just sodium in a liquid form. Plus there is no way to make the concept "fermented fish flesh" appeal to the average dumbfuck.
>>
>>7812166

Vancouver isn't between Seattle and Portland. You might as well have accused him of skipping over Montreal.
>>
>>7812185
Really? Because I know flyovers eat things like anchovies and sardines, and herring, and other preserved fish, plus I'm sure they use Wocestershire sauce, which is made with anchovies. Fish sauce is just as acceptable and good as all those things. I even add fish sauce to my spaghetti sauce when I realize I don't have any anchovies in the pantry. Anyone who thinks fish sauce is gross is a dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>7807840
food lab is always right
>>
>>7804795
I'm an american who uses fish sauce regularly, it stores better than anchovies.
>>
>>7804776
>Okonomiyaki is on deck next after KFC peaks and will soon be found in every Japanese and Korean restaurant in the US

God I wish
>>
>>7812187
>Vancouver isn't between Seattle and Portland

Vancouver, WA is. You're thinking of Vancouver, BC.
>>
>>7804776
>>Fish sauce will be the next big ingredient people find a way of putting into everything

you're awful at this. fish sauce inherently smells and tastes disgusting to everyone.
>>
>>7804776
Worcestershire sauce is better in all ways than fish sauce.
>>
>>7805873
ich wette in deiner Scheißstadt ist nix "schwer deutsch".

Gott wie ich Menschen aus Nordamerika manchmal hasse
>>
>>7813434
>Thinking your opinion represents the entire world's opinion
>>
>>7812166
Portland metro area here, you guys literally drive over the border to buy shit down here because we don't have a sales tax. Like it or not, you're a slave to the big Oregonian cock.
>>
>>7813459
Schweinhund
>>
>>7804802
>being this much of a flyover
I mean I can't blame Asian immigrants for not wanting to live in the middle of nowhere, but still
>>
>>7804776
>>Fish sauce
Full of MSG (E621). Has that wave of fear mongering already passed?
>>
>>7813516
I fucking love e621

>>7804776
this looks delicious and I hope it does become the next trendy food
>>
Isn't pad thai already pretty big?

The main flavors of that are tamarind, fish sauce and lime.
>>
>>7813516
Theres shit tons of research debunking those crap studies from the 70s. Theres some people that still think its bad but as soon as you show them one of the numerous studies that shows the fight against msg was mostly racially based they get open to the idea
>>
>>7813516
>MSG
Literally sodium + glutamate

It's meat salt. Probably better for you than regular salt
>>
>>7804843
I agree. I don't see curry getting super trendy though
>>
>>7813770
It's 100% naturally occurring and derived too.
It's just bacon extract guys calm down.
>>
Every foodie and their favourite food scientist claim that insects is the new rad thing, even though 98% of people refuse to put a fucking cricket in their mouth.
>>
>>7813815
I think in the distant future people will eat it, but it'll take some huge thing like the price of normal flour increasing dramatically while at the same time cricket flour going down
>>
>>7813779
Which kind? Indian food is gaining popularity or already there depending on where. Same with Thai. Hipsters are fucking up oxtail for everyone so maybe Jamaican will become next. I dont really see Japanese curry getting that popular outside of Japan even though I like it because its really only good when made at home.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.