[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't eaten in two days. I'm gonna head off to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 123434555.jpg (6 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
123434555.jpg
6 KB, 201x251
I haven't eaten in two days. I'm gonna head off to a mall with six bucks in my pocket. Beans cost around half a buck from where I'm from.

What should I cook? Probably just gonna buy rice and beans but other ideas for tasty rich cheap food would be great.
>>
what do you have in the cupboard at home?

if you're doing something with beans, grab some tinned tomatoes.
>>
>>7803578
>canned beans
>>
Lentils are better than beans though. Cook much quicker, work amazing with any type of flaming hot (mustard, horseradish, chili...), or curry. Rice/lentils works, but also potato/lentils
>>
>>7803583
It's empty as fuck, there's some rotten milk, old wine, breadcrumbs some seasoning and handful of pasta.
>>
>>7803589
rice is cheap. when you say beans you mean dried beans not >>7803585 right? >>7803588 this is good advice too.

Honestly been a long time since I was poverty, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
>>
>>7803601
Nah, I meant canned beans. I never worked with dried, what's the difference? Doesn't they need to be soaked in water for quite some time before you can cook with them?
>>
>>7803578
get some spices for the rice and beans, most common spices are usually pretty cheap and they really add to the meal. For beans I would get maybe some garlic salt, chili powder, cumin and maybe some lemon juice to give it a Mexican style flavor.
>>
>>7803621
How do you do rice and beans though? I always just sautéd some onions with garlic, added canned tomatoes, boiled it for a bit then added beans and let it simmer for ten minutes. Spices, salt, pepper at the end and then I mixed in the rice.
>>
>>7803578
>rice and beans
bread is better than rice, and goes better with beans. Rice and beans is just a meme. Beans and bread is where it's at.
>>
Try potatoes, they're cheap and you won't die if you only eat them for a long time.

Be strong anon, i once did a whole 2 weeks with 6 euros.
>>
>>7803639
Beans and rice is indisputably tastier than bread and beans.
>>
>>7803620
No, you can just blast them for 3 hours, but I never got quite the same results without soaking. They're still edible without soaking though, probably won't make a difference for a stew or what have you.
Self-cooked is much cheaper, even factoring in the costs of 3 hours of cooking. Canned beans are pretty expensive per calorie, at least where I live. Pretty much 6-10 times as expensive as rice, comes down to 2-3 times as much when you cook them yourself. Of course the much higher protein and fiber content is worth it form a nutritional perspective. But again, the price per protein for canned beans can be close to or higher than the price of dairy protein or cheap meat
>>
>>7803644
Don't feel sorry for me, I'm a twat who will rather spend money on alcohol and tobacco and then is left with couple of paper and coins for food.
>>
>>7803639
U dumb, rice and beans is amazing and a complete protein.
>>
>>7803649
Rice is mushy and tasteless. Bread has a whole range of flavors and textures. You are delusional if you think rice is better with beans.
>>
>>7803654
>rice and beans is amazing and a complete protein.

So is beans and bread, and wheat has more protein than rice.
>>
>>7803688
I won't argue about that the combo of beans with rice and bread in hand is the best, but just beans with bread is way too plain.
>>
>>7803688
if your rice is mushy then you are making it wrong
>>
>>7803692
It's not about how much protein. Rice and beans for a complete protein structure, which is better for your health. Also, rice is much cheaper than bread with a longer lifespan.
You're British aren't you with all this beans and bread nonsense
>>
>>7803717
flour is cheap. bake your own bread. that's what I do.

>You're British aren't you with all this beans and bread nonsense
White rice is a dangerous food to eat because it causes constipation which can lead to hemorrhoids
or a fissure. I blame rice for my current pain that has been going on for over a year. If you want to live
without pain, avoid white rice at all cost. So yeah, I'm actually butthurt abut rice, for real.
>>
just steal some meat OP, its easy, take a backpack, grab some meat, find a secluded area and pop it in there.
>>
>>7803578
Popeyes has a sale today; you can get eight pieces of dark meat for less than five bucks.
>>
>>7803771
lol you don't buy fast food when you only have $6, there's a discount grocery store near me selling chicken breasts for $0.99 a pound, you get a lot more food cooking it yourself.
>>
>>7803620
No, you can just boil them immediately. It will take longer but if you're on a budget you'd be an idiot to buy the more expensive option just so you don't have to wait a bit longer. You'll get more food for your money with dried beans.
>>
>>7803764
White rice does not cause constipation, that's the dumbest thing I've seen posted in a while. It has a pretty terrible nutrient profile though, but nothing you couldn't fix by adding vegetables (or a pill if you're that type)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.